Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1588009831020961792

my former local

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some sort of fish posted:

the entirety of university of california graduate student workers have voted to authorize a strike. student researchers got recognized last year and had no contract, grad teachers are under uaw and had their contract run out on halloween. union ask is 54k from 34k, university offered 7% this year (lol) and 3% after. if its anything like the uc santa cruz wildcat, the ucs are going to be lunatics about this.

the strike begins november 14

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

as someone in one of the striking uc unions the strike is 100% happening. none of the leadership of the local that i know wants to back down

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

Looks like UPS workers have the greenlight to honor the picket & not deliver packages

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1592202239074275329?s=20&t=Ka8e5S1ghXr2E5yo0RV6VA

Also turns out "Strike" is a hardcoded option for non-delivery in UPS software

https://twitter.com/RyanElward/status/1448819231567405056?s=20&t=Ka8e5S1ghXr2E5yo0RV6VA

tag urself im M-Overweight

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i saw a UPS truck cross a picket line at a UC

i wonder if the teamsters have a scab report line

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the UAW Members United people have been sending me tons of long campaign emails. makes me kind of worried that they're online-only meme candidates a la shahid buttar

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok yeah it's been will that's mostly been emailing me with long essays. so him being the designated wsws wrecker sent to derail the left faction tracks

kingcobweb posted:

lmao of course it’s WSWS

wsws has never found a union it didn't think was a bourgeois labor aristocracy controlled by the democrat party

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i heard that UPS management is delivering the packages now lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some sort of fish posted:

mildly concerning

https://twitter.com/payusmoreucsc/status/1593656162431356929?s=20&t=55lZ8SfUjAX8y0efz9bCgg

pretty sure the berekley, sc, and la membership will literally lynch the bargaining unit if they do a formal proposal to strip cola langauge from bargaining.

I'm pretty sure this is total bullshit that was made up by wreckers.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Nov 19, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bargaining update that went out last night still has it in there

quote:

The key concepts in our wage proposal are:
A 54k base wage for graduate workers
An experience-based equitable step scale
High base step for all SRs with raises between steps tied to cost of living
Like other academic jobs, SRs should be paid more with more experience
Raises on all our pay to ensure a cost of living adjustment
We should receive raises on all compensation – including “student support” money of bonuses/top-offs/fellowships
This would eliminate loopholes for UC to underpay SRs and stop many SRs from receiving wage increases
Annual raises that reflect rent increases
All SRs should receive annual % increases that address rent increases across the state.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i was at one of the huge rallies on friday and a couple people were walking through the crowd handing out a huge pile of flyers with WSWS branding saying that it had happened on thursday and everyone needs to organize a recall of the bargaining team. it seems like a cointelpro style organized disinformation campaign at this point

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well, there's nobody from UAW International on the bargaining team, it's just the elected unit chair and recording secretary from each campus plus i guess some of the statewide elected leadership, who are all members of the locals. idk how much influence the parent org really has over us, the first time i ever saw anyone from international in like 10 years was a couple weeks ago when they came to teach us how to sign people up for strike pay (I've never been part of elected leadership tho). it could be possible that they're pushing us to settle behind the scenes but i haven't heard any gossip to that effect.

Where are you hearing that the cola demand was dropped?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The big unions purged all the communists and then labor started eating poo poo for decades, i wonder if these two things could possibly be related

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i figured that if it was anything it was going to be a supposal. kind of surprised that UC didn't even react to the suggestion though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this also happened today

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1597369212661428224

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's the usual lib policy of "i support unions in general, but this specific instance a union isn't appropriate," which somehow seems to apply to every instance

my boss gave me the same line before the UC strike started lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think a general trend is that even a lot of the well meaning senior union people are useless msnbc watching libs while the activists among the younger workers, if there are any younger workers, are bernie-leaning or better

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i admit i haven't read it, but many people i trust bigly say the gold standard how-to manual is No Shortcuts by Jane McAlevey

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

How To Jump Start Your Union is also good, it's short and covers the story of how activists in the Chicago Teachers Union organized to take over the leadership of the union and launch the 2012 strike

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i know which guy they're talking about and he loving sucks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sorry but I'm very confused by the news reports. How many sick days did the union argue for, and how many are in the House vote that was passed? I'm seeing claims that House Democrats went out of their way to give them literally more than they bargained for, and I was born at night but not last night.

the house dems passed something that imposes the poo poo contract, and then passed another thing that amends the poo poo contract to give 7 (i think) sick days. the eventual outcome is going to be that the senate passes the poo poo contract imposition and then the sick day amendment gets unexpectedly killed by that dastardly manchin who totally told us he was willing to consider it but unexpectedly betrayed us at the last second

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1598382292174798848

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1598446341113663490

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1598474382632161282

https://twitter.com/uawuci/status/1598430373318660096

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1598453161626603521

https://twitter.com/miawantezzo/status/1598460458381758464

the school came back with a monstrously lovely wage proposal and pissed everyone off lol

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Dec 2, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

UAW unofficial partial election vote count

https://uawmembers.org/2022-uaw-elections

looks like the reform slate is leading in every race except president

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I mean sometimes you're stuck between a merely disappointing candidate and a "literally wants to shove me and my friends into a woodchipper" candidate. It sucks.

Vote in primaries and do your best to pull the party left so you can get more actually good candidates where you're voting for something you want instead of voting to just avoid pain.

a couple years ago i voted in a big primary for a candidate that would have pulled the party to the left and after he started winning they canceled the primary and said the guy who was in third place had won. What am i supposed to do then?

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Dec 8, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

you can’t start straight with WE SHOULD STRIKE, just let people complain about work and find out what the issues are.

yeah, even here in commiefornia most people are uncomfortable with the idea of striking at first. you need to build your coworkers up to the idea. find issues that need to be addressed, then send a polite email to management asking for them to fix the issues, then when management doesn't acknowledge the email circulate a petition with all the workers asking them to fix the issue, then when management ignores the petition the workers can request a meeting to discuss the issue, then management will refuse to meet, etc, etc. most people seem to not believe that their boss will be one of the bad ones who will refuse to even talk until they experience it first hand. six months to a year of the boss refusing to acknowledge them over their concerns will bring anyone closer to striking.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Geight posted:

Hello organizing goons! I just wanted to swing by again and mention that my cafe filed to unionize this weekend and thank yall for the good advice helping us get back up on our feet after getting busted last time. I hope the next time I post in here it is with news of a successful election!

get👏that👏bag👏

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also all the journalists and actors pretentiously calling their unions "guilds" like they're medieval artisans

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it doesn't have the rent-pegged cola, which sucks, but it does have 6.4% raises for the 2 years of the life of the contract, which hopefully will be at or above inflation by then. the immediate pay increases, while also not the $54k initial demand, are still pretty big.

i think it's probably going to sail through ratification similar to how the postdoc one did last week. from what i've heard, most workers seem to want to end the strike.

if anyone who hasn't been paying close attention wants to look at the details of the tentative agreements the union made a site with bullet points: https://www.fairucnow.org/ta-summary/

i can bitch about my own frustrations from the strike but idk if people want to hear it

kingcobweb posted:

lol I somehow didn’t hear about this. absurd stuff

company unions are yet another scummy union-busting tactic. like the headline says they're illegal but as always the laws binding bosses are hardly enforced

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Dec 19, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

What's up with all the poo poo flying around about different campuses being treated differently?

all i am aware of is that Berkeley, LA, and San Francisco ASEs are getting base salary scales about $2500/yr higher than the rest of the state, supposedly as a cost of living adjustment (student researchers are all on the same scale statewide, which is higher than the ASE scale), everyone at Santa Cruz gets a $2,500/yr housing stipend, and SF also has its own kind of housing supplement that I don't know the specifics of.

outside of the contract, the other difference between campuses that I am aware of is that only LBNL and some(?) parts of UCSF are docking the pay of the workers who were striking

i've been ignoring all of the twitter fighting because i got enough frustration from irl organizing lately

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Dec 25, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In Training posted:

what's the mood after the ratification vote been like?

i dunno, im at my parents' house.

i assume the people who liked the contract are super happy and the people who didnt are mega pissed off.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oops, I forgot that it was the grad school and academia thread in SAL that there were some posts with more context, not this thread.

I'm just going to quote myself and a few other posters discussing about where the divide between the two sides is.

Animal-Mother posted:

Well, that's it for the UC strike. :eng99:

Cyrano4747 posted:

What happened? By the smilie I'm guessing nothing good?

Shear Modulus posted:

The ratification vote for grad students ended last night.

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1606467076486336512

The contracts are big improvements on the status quo but imperfect.

There are sharply opposing views on how much longer the strike could have held out. The differing vote margins for the TAs and researchers kind of reflect this. From where I am in a big STEM department, participation had fallen off a cliff and most people wanted to ratify. I heard a lot that in humanities departments where most grad students are teaching employees, participation was still strong and most people wanted to hold out.

e: WSWSis pushing a conspiracy theory that the bargaining team conspired with UAW international sold everybody out and cut a deal with the UC behind all the workers' backs to ram through a lovely contract. It's of course impossible to prove that Ray Curry wasn't secretly meeting with UC management and telling them to gently caress over the workers, but I think it's mostly something people are telling themselves to avoid acknowledging that the strike was weak to begin with and further weakening on its own.

Animal-Mother posted:

IMHO, the strike mostly appeared to be weakening because it's the holidays and people are busy with their families. If they held out past this, I think we would've seen a resurgence. But that's just my conjecture. Only thing I know for certain is that there's a pretty sharp class divide between the yes and no votes. The people who can afford to vote yes mostly did.

MegaZeroX posted:

From what I saw, the conditions for the divide was based on:

1) Did the bargaining team from your campus approve of the deal? If not, then you were much more likely to reject

2) Are you a TA instead of an RA? If so, then you were more likely to reject.

3) Is the cost of living low in your area? If so, you were more likely to reject.

1 is self-explanatory, 2 being a combination that striking as an RA may gently caress up your graduation time by not getting your lab-work done, and that your striking is having more obvious impacts as a TA. 3 may be the opposite of one would expect, but I'd rationalize it with saying that those there could more easily afford 1 or 2 more semesters of striking.

e: Just like every other left of center space in the universe both sides are the privileged hobbyist leftists lol

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Dec 25, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol the democrats selling off their entire voter database to private equity is the most democrat thing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you allow me to be suspicious and accusatory of the democrats, I think that the timing of a sale of NGP VAN to private equity right after the 2020 election feels a lot like it fits into the constellation of other rule changes the DNC instituted or plans on instituting post-2020 to make it impossible for someone like bernie to get as close as he did to winning (for example, moving south carolina's primary before iowa). taking an essential piece of shared campaign infrastructure like the voter database out of the hands of the DNC, which at least theoretically could be democratically controlled by bernie-aligned democrats at some point, and into the hands of a private equity company that doesn't need to answer to anyone and has no real obligation to pretend to be neutral, is neoliberal privatization 101, just as applied to political infrastructure instead of state infrastructure.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The company with the anti-union CEO is called Proletariat?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

:hellyeah:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

more higher ed unionizing

https://twitter.com/TRUhopkins/status/1620855471187050496

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where'd you find the post by the owner of the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i read that temple is also saying that unless you contact your supervisor and tell them you won't be striking, they'll assume you're on strike and cut your pay, tuition, etc. sounds like a wage theft lawsuit.