Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

first starbucks in michigan unionized

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/05/grand-rapids-starbucks-workers-first-to-unionize-in-michigan.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

ScarecrowIntel posted:

I was a union worker for many years. I was a steward, chief steward, served on multiple committees including the bargaining committee and bargaining 2 contracts, and served on the executive board for three terms. I watched a strong national union slowly degrade and become a business. I bought into 100% of it. Unity. Solidarity. I bled red.

When union leadership says "the membership are the union" it is an absolute lie. The union leaders at the top have no issue taking your money but are stingy when it comes to spending it on things that do not include a trip for them, extra pay, milage reimbursement, and meals. If the case is not lock down win forget about arbitration.

Education is the key to improving your life and earning more money. Unions are dying and will continue to die. Union leaders live by greed which is what they are allegedly fighting. And don't think there aren't backroom deals. "We want to terminate Joe. Don't push grievances hard on his termination and we will drop our investigation against Sara" Or from the union side "Give us MLK day off with pay and we will drop our NLRB charges based on your manager punishing union members and letting everyone else do the own thing" So much wrong quid pro quo.

I started a union job with a college education. My mistake was staying there. I work a non-union job now and make much more money, great benefits, and zero drama in the workplace. No more "Us vs Them" mentality,

Get an education in a needed field if you want a better life. A NEEDED FIELD. Not what you like. Unless you can make a business that makes money from your hobbies you need an education in a field in demand. For the majority of the world the things we like to do are hobbies. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy your work but you may not love it. And thats perfectly OK! That why we have hobbies!

There will always be those who have much more and much less than everyone else. Its been that way since the beginning of time. It will always be that way. Union jobs, as a whole, have more people with stress related issues and out on FMLA. Its common sense you are not going to live large working at McDonald or Starbucks. Those jobs are for college kids and teenagers not for supporting yourself and a family.

I am not trying to sound cold or cold hearted but some people seem to think they are worth more than they are and have no real education. And these same people, many times, have bad credit and extreme debt. And typically it is not medical bills. Get an education and live responsibly and you will have everything you need and most of what you want!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWkKSK1k8s

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm just a simple country electrician but in my union if the president or the secretary was opposing a brother or sister getting paid more they'd be out of the position so fast heads would spin. The contracts we negotiate are what makes things fair among members, if a contractor wants to go above and beyond and pay someone even more, nobody is going to say no. Making money is the point of work after all.