Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

shooting straight for unions and expecting that to result in improved workplace conditions is putting the cart before the horse. unions are the result of an organized workplace, they do not create it. I spent last Sunday flyering for, and then doing organizing calls for, the emergency workplace organizing committee. the goal is to look at currently unorganized workplaces and show them how they can specifically benefit from organization in COVID-related ways, like having better sick leave protections. if that organization leads to a union later on great, and a positive organizing experience where workers are able to extract some kind of concession from their workplace often leads to greater willingness to support a union later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

don’t let your guard down. once you call for an election they will do the most rancid poo poo imaginable to either block it or try to destroy your majority

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

then you get stories like this: "LaVonette Stokes, who works as a labor organizer for the Alabama teachers union when she's not working at Amazon, and her husband are have positions as mid-level process guides that earn $15 to $19 an hour. But she said that a union for unskilled labor in Bessemer makes no sense and that it would move too slowly. She and her husband spent $2,400 of their own money to print flyers that detailed Amazon's benefits."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i mean there are all kinds of ideological reasons ms. stokes might have liked one union and not another, but i think a big clue there is a couple who appear to make a combined sum of $35 an hour had $2400 just laying around to pay for anti union propaganda. amazon can just buy whomever they want.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

amazon workers defeat jeff bezos by attempting to organize their workplaces over and over, taking a rotation as Designated Company Stooge to collect a pay bump

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

workers lost the Amazon warehouse but won this one: https://www.newscentermaine.com/mob...f3-059e7640257a

good!
the nurses near where i live are on a long loving strike, more than two months now. i fundraised heavily for their strike fund when it started but then work got crazy and i frankly forgot and assumed the strike ended. they're back negotiating again but it doesn't sound like the hospital administrators are close to pulling their heads out of their asses

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

for a long time the implicit bargain between capital and the PMC/computer toucher classes was “we’ll treat you better than the proles but don’t get any funny ideas about labor power.” but now the first part of that bargain is falling apart (see the proposed salary cuts for remote workers) and so the second part is looking sketchy as well.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

bear in mind this is a strike auth. this doesn't mean a strike is called the minute yes wins, it just means that the union leadership can now call a strike whenever they want. a successful strike auth adds leverage and sometimes results in a contract (it probably won't here, but it could).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

of course but I don’t want to see a bunch of goons freaking out when yes wins and there’s no immediate strike

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

congratulations IATSE— no matter what happens from here, a strike auth with 90% participation that wins by 98% of the vote is a massive, massive organizing success story. much love to the organizers who busted their asses to make this happen.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that’s true and it’s reason #7338494 why taft Hartley can eat my entire rear end.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there’s absolutely a concerted effort by capital to defy labor even when it makes no economic sense to do so, because they’re afraid of ceding any power at all.

the upside is that because capitalists are all rugged individualist John Galts, it seems likely that some of them will mash the Betray button and cut a deal with labor to screw their competitors. AGCO should be out there signing as many contracts with farmers as they can right now. eat John Deere’s lunch.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it’s absolutely mind blowing to me. I’ve seen this mindset enough to not be surprised by it anymore but it’s still so alien, it’s like seeing someone order bacon and goose poo poo on a pizza. if you’re not a huge rear end in a top hat, having a union is great for an employer, because a lot of management functions that ordinarily require you to pay an expensive tier of do-nothing middle managers can be outsourced to the union itself. it gives you one unit to negotiate with who will act as a partner (since if your business goes under they all lose their jobs!). if I owned a business I would absolutely prefer to have a unionized workforce. I have been in a position to advise management of this in the past, this has been my recommendation, and most of the time they still don’t get it. madness.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JD corporate is loving desperate. things must be awful inside, much worse than the glimpses we’re getting

poll plane variant posted:

How many of these strikes are over vax mandates?

literally 0 of them

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

a strike is an attempt to leverage your power as laborers to force concessions from your employer. there has not ever been a strike over a vaccine mandate and there likely never will be.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

teamsters pulled this poo poo three years ago with a UPS contract and now the hand picked successors to the leadership of that time are likely to lose to movement candidates

but this in general fits with my own priorities in talking to organizers over the past 3-4 years: corrupt and complacent union leadership and the Byzantine bylaws they create to lock in their power are as big a threat as the bosses, and probably the first one they have to tackle.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

any teamsters itt? Been following the leadership election and I’m beyond excited that O’Brien/Zuckerman are gonna do it. it’s going to be an amazingly radical five years.

also the Deere workers ratified!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Tulip posted:

Hell yeah!

And they broke the tier system, right? I've just heard grapevine stuff.

haven’t read the contract but they definitely prevented the addition of new tiers; I don’t know what the existing tier structure was

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there have been recent contract votes that disappointed me, but:
1) winning is hard, and it’s doubly hard after 50+ years of labor movement atrophy. take the W when you can
2) it’s not me striking, it’s not my life and livelihood on the line. the workers are the ones who get to decide, not me. they’re striking for their futures, not to appeal to my abstract sense of justice. they’re the ones who have to eat and pay mortgages and ultimately only their opinion of the contract matters

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the issue is that, while it seems like it would be a nice thing to let a cool pro union manager help organize, what actually happens when management is allowed to be pro-union is that they cheerfully help organize a “union” which is in fact wholly captive to the whims of management. you get Potemkin unions. that’s why the prohibition on management getting involved in organizing is so ironclad and durable—it’s one of the most insidious anti union tricks there is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I’m not saying that can’t happen, but management being pro-union can have good impacts too. the only reason I ever got involved in union activity is that Cingular voluntarily recognized something like 14k workers joining CWA and publicly talked about working with them as a partner.

that’s different. management can and should always voluntarily recognize their unions and they’re idiots if they don’t see the union as a partner. but management helping build the union in the first place is a big no no for good reasons

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

oh, complete agree. what I’m saying is that pro-union boss can help guide the company toward voluntarily recognizing and other pro-worker policies.

(the preserved head of rich little imitating howard cosell voice) no argument there

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

can’t believe that podcast didn’t move the needle

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

fun union story: my sister is a grad student at Harvard and is heavily involved in the HGEU. she has a grad student friend who works for a very senior and well regarded (among the establishment, at least), professor. he called her in and asked if he could talk to her “off the record” about the union. not clear what that meant. anyways, he tried to convince her that it was a bad idea, and his actual pitch to her (a woman in her 20s) was “what if your friend was falsely accused of sexual harassment and the union railroaded him?”

the rarely seen inverse of “invent a guy and get mad at him:” “invent a sexual predator and defend him.”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

why didn’t the anti-union person go with “what if the union defended someone who was sexually harassing people,” that seems much easier

why indeed

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this article is a decent start:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2019/09/25/reut-s25.html

I think it’s a bit unfair to Reuther who, according to everything I’ve read, was a committed union man who was trying his best, but the Treaty of Detroit really was a turning point for the labor movement and the decline in labor militancy really started soon after

e: also this article is obviously written by trots and full of their inane feuding but you can get a decent sense of the history reading between the lines

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

has this weirdass progressive buzzword anti union shtick ever worked? sure didn’t at REI. Amazon’s been successful with good old fashioned brute force union busting

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think at Amazon and other places it’s largely the latter. you can draw a pretty direct line between “woke corporate” union busting at REI and elsewhere, and the old racial wedge used to union-bust in the early 20th century—the more you raise the salience of race in your employees’ minds, the harder solidarity becomes. the background racism of American culture does a lot of the work for you (which is, indeed, why it exists, and why it was cultivated). these days you can’t nakedly race bait your white employees the way you could in 1922, but you can do a lot to make white and POC employees distrust each other.

still, though, the most effective union busting tactic is and always will be naked threats to destroy people’s livelihood if they organize. Amazon can be subtle when they want to be but that’s still the main thrust of their tactics. arguing “but you don’t need a union because we’re ~so progressive~” may have an effect on the margins, but it’s definitely a second best tactic compared to “try it and get fired, pleb”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

what the gently caress

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

helllll yeah Amazon. not much to add except that this rules, although I am nervous that Amazon is going to find some fedsoc ghola to declare that the NLRA is unconstitutional

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

re: corruption in unions, I am constantly reminded of a conversation I had at an organizing meeting about 4 years ago. I asked the group what they think should be the labor movement’s priority: increasing the number of unionized workers in America or increasing the militancy of the unions we already have. 100% of union people present said the latter.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

owners of city feed and supply, a crunchy local cafe/grocery store with locations in the lefties parts of boston, refused to voluntarily recognize their union. not sure what their endgame is, since every most other indie coffeehouses in the city are union and even two of our Starbucks are unionized. way to torpedo your brand, guys.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

no poo poo, I mean do they expect to win an NLRB election? and post election do they think they will be in a better position vis a vis their union by antagonizing them now?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

hell yeah man

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

verizon didn’t realize that by violating the natural order of union formation they had unwittingly summoned a craterhoof behemoth to trample their union busting campaign

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

incredibly deep cut incoming: union organizers win games with the reset/high tide combo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012