Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
re: Starbucks, you love to see it.

we've been making a lot of gains in Portland, OR the past few years. got some labor harmony legislation passed at the county level that we've been trying to get rolled out to the state. it died in committee unfortunately. we can finally eat at Burgerville again as of last year (boycotting them for years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm gonna start working full-time for my AFSCME council after next week. excited to work with the like +1,000 folks in my local alone.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

nice. anything the portland folks can do for ya?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

can't remember if this was posted here but welp

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

cross-posted from another thread

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

one of my sublocals is like 6 people, it's cool

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm on the board of a local that's primarily nonprofit behavioral health agencies and leveraging management's "we're the good guys" image against them is 🤌 (we had several orgs voluntarily recognized which was very nice)

Lazy_Liberal has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jan 25, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

hell yeah! one of our local starbuckses in portland just voted today also iirc

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

also there’s always one lol

our company does this thing where they announce bonuses for non-represented workers and then we gotta scramble to bargain so represented folks can get ours in a timely manner. so the anti-union workers are just going hog wild with "THE UNION KEEPS HOLDING OUR BONUSES HOSTAGE" and wooie it's frustrating explaining why bargaining is a good thing 🥲 anyways, it's mostly like 6 folks out of 500 so i count my blessings

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Geight posted:

Yeah the 1 no vote was expected and recently even they have been like "man this is hosed", they're just more scared of losing their job than anything else so all we have to do is show them that the union is serious about preventing that from happening. Mostly I'm happy that we got 100% turnout!

i always tell people it's better to be a member and vote "no" than be a non-member jamoke

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

pogi posted:

currently at delegate training for my union, was able to talk to a really cool old social worker who has been to a negotiation before, gave me some good advice for my workplace’s own upcoming negotiations.

PMed you! i'm a social worker on the bargaining unit for my behavioral health union. 🤝

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

I have actual genuine for real no-poo poo :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: to report in a cspam EXCLUSIVE:

Verizon signed an agreement with the NLRB over my case, the terms of which are that they had to give me about $15k cash, $8k 401k/other benefits, and my job reinstated. I'm walking back to work at the Northgate store in Seattle on Monday the 20th. (if you're seattle area and wanna come in the morning to attend the rally about it, PM me)

oh poo poo mazel tov!!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

started a new job last month and i'm already ready to unionize the drat thing, yeesh

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

my pal was fired after trying to unionize strippers in Portland years back so this is pretty freaking sweet news. i still feel lovely about how the lusty lady went down in SF.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What happened there? I saw the documentary about it back in the day but it seems like more stuff went down since

with lusty lady, i think it just became an issue with the building owner and rent prices blah blah blah.

in portland news, we continue to unionize nonprofit behavioral health agencies. got another major organization last week 👏

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

the nurses at my hospital are striking next week and the bosses are flying in a ton of scabs and expecting us (the behavioral health staff) to do a bunch of nursey stuff outside of our job descriptions 🤬

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

this is why everyone at a hospital should be in one union

working on it 🥲

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

hang in there webcams!

ok im off to go make some nurses sing solidarity forever now

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

our hospital's nursing strike last week was rad and we had a lot of community and local govt support 👍

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

one of the things i'll miss about twitter is the union updates. guess i gotta look at newsletters again like an old head

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

when i sing solidarity forever, i keep in the line about owners being parasites

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm available to join

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

I'm gonna erase the taft hartley act

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

our local bookstore is going on strike on labor day and i think that's great

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

doughnut workers united has some steam here in Portland. happy to see national donut organizing

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Welp, no longer in a union because I'm no longer employed

at least you have a cool username

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

helped unionize another workplace. the jewish museum in nyc just ratified their contract. decent raises all around, with bigger lifts for the lowest earners.

the idea of the jewish museum in new york not being unionized until now is tragically funny

my pals have been working on the art institute of chicago campaign for years and yeah museums can be total poo poo shows

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

great to see. Busch III used to come to sea world and he was a real douchebag. heavily anti-union and they'd give you free beer as a work benefit

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

AFSCME is bringing pins for us to wear these days. Something's happening this year.

there's organizing around various ceasefire resolutions to be introduced at international convention. hoping for more shows of support than the last "no cops in AFSCME" group got

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

hell yeah my pal works at the mercury. good on you

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i'm gonna be down in San Diego for some kinda AFT conference in early March in case anybody wants to party and overthrow the bourgeoisie while i'm there

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

I'm organizing the professional unit at my hospital which includes many different positions with 4 year degrees: social workers, occupational therapists, chaplains, etc. the CNAs are in the support unit along with custodial and kitchen staff i believe. then there's a tech unit and i don't even know who's in there

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Al! posted:

whats your opinion on the ONA?

not sure yet. the nurses here went on strike and got pretty active support from the community. apparently seiu tried organizing here a few times and it didn't get off the ground. the ona rep I'm working with is pretty chill at least! i should know a lot more about the greater organization in about two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

providence hilariously has their anti-union healthstream trainings online and visible to all employees. how the heck do i upload images in 2024

edit: thank you

Lazy_Liberal has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Feb 27, 2024