Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That news stylesheet owns, did someone make that for real or is it a mock-up? If you've looked at the fast food forum you'll see I'm woefully bad at these so this can be....a collaborative effort. I'll read through this thread and post some more info.

Given this is a forum with 1000+ users, I'm guessing someone is not going to like any given stylesheet. It might be prudent for me to make a stylesheet selector menu first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A blue checkmark on the right for the OP should be easy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay you have "precincts reporting" as step 1.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The bbcode parsing code that I'd need to change to do "sources close to [user] posted:" is a loving mess but that's funny, I'll try.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A cool thing to do would be new images - a new "stickied thread" image along with new post, reply, quote, and report images (pinocchio?) would all be good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There are a ton of proposed backgrounds, maybe you guys could vote on them and then the mods could ignore the vote and pick their favorite?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lol I wonder if it's irresponsible to directly use a brand logo.... Is the nyt more litigious than taco bell? We'll see...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m currently sitting in the airport to travel to a funeral so if Jeffrey forgets about this thread again you have my blessing to send him mispellings of Trump in his PMs or whatever until he comes back
Nah I just had real life things yesterday! This is true in general though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

before you waste a bunch of time trying to do this on the backend, please be informed that you can do this with css

you can use the :before and :after selectors with the "content" property to put text before or after elements

CSS code:
.postbody a.quote_link:before {
    content: "Sources close to ";
}

Ahh perfect, thank you. I was shuddering at the abstraction-breaking required to make bbcode parsing per-forum.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

code:
.bbc-block blockquote {
    margin-top: 8px;
    background-image: url(//fi.somethingawful.com/rfa/rfa-blockbg.png);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    margin-bottom: 18px;
    color: #444;
    padding-left: 160px;
}

or replace it with a different image i guess but one thing from lf would be kinda cool imo

also ill look and see if i can figure out some of the other css
While this is funny it'd probably piss off a lot of people and get old pretty fast.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bring me your tired, your poor, your 10 best jebs for the clap! button.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They should probably be kinda small since they're gonna overlay the page when you click on it - check out the yospos "Nice!" button for examples.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Thank y'all for the good ideas - I've been pretty busy lately and coming home and feverishly implementing suggestions at 4 am has been fun.

The clap button works on my end though maybe it's a little weak to straight-up copy yospos's thing? Not sure what folks think of that.

We definitely should have a background but it's hard to choose one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

sincx posted:

Same issue on Firefox.

Also the header is not centered and does not have a font applied on the interstitial page after you click "submit reply"/"save changes" and before it reloads the thread.

Yeah this is weird, that page doesn't load the forums css but it does load the header. I can fix it up.

The font and sizes look fine in Firefox to me, I don't have a Mac to test Safari on. I'll try and figure it out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

twoday posted:

Safari header:

Yeah that's no good. Really not sure what to do without a mac - I could pay for one of these browser testing services I guess?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

font-size: xxx-large isn't supported by safari.

You can check for supported css here: https://caniuse.com/#search=xxx-large
Thank you, that helps.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A new probation avatar for cspam would be cool.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

if a gifs are allowed, i can resize and add the yellow + white PROBATED text to this

https://i.imgur.com/bmWBioM.mp4
This is good but it's pretty big filesize-wise as well. It'd be good to shrink that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Looks like this now:

If I break this line in the CSS:

I get this:

This is the literal reverse for me - I get Chomsky unless I have that line.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Not that dark as such, but harping on and on about Epstein is such a popular nazi pasttime that I don't think it'll stay funny for all that long.
Are you lurking in nazi spaces and seeing this? Might have a job for you...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also yeah, if you're concerned about other people seeing your screen, you should probably be more worried about hillary clinton behind bars than a skeleton.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There's a new edited by message.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm open to suggestions but that seems a little on the nose. A Eugene V Debs for president theme would withstand the test of time better.

Basically I want to make a stylesheet selector before I do anything too big because some portion of the 1000+ users will hate whatever we change. Clearly some folks are into the newspaper thing and some want something less serious and I don't think it's fair to either camp to impose that. Sorry work on this has been slow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

We have jquery available, though the site javascript is kind of a mess so hopefully it's worth it. Yospos has custom javascript and so can cspam.