Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i have a truck, trucks are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

Professor of Cats posted:

Sup everyone! Gonna do some show and tell.
I had the absolute pleasure on creating a custom dash for my buddy's custom electric Frankenstien's monster of a super car we named the 'Teslonda'.

Here is the ugly bastard in it's full glory. (First photo -credit to Keiron Berndt from Speedhunters)

This ugly thing has a Tesla motor shoved in the back, a Chevy volt battery pack, customer battery management system and I got to do the Dash stuff! This thing at the time was quicker than any super car on the market, propelling you 0-60mph in 2.4 seconds in pants pooping terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyPmE6dFDQ

Now for the dash stuff!

First iteration - I wanted to make an "80/90s style arcade feel".

Action shots of it:
Booting up: https://i.imgur.com/SqECRd7.mp4

Here is it in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxgrqZKZf_s

Then I made a second dash screen, which I called the "Teslonda Power Pilot", which had the ability to change voltage/amperage/etc settings, as well as logging, and other fun stuff.

This one shows the demo mode - this happens when the driver turns the battery pack off - it shows a continue screen, high score screen, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amye7DRjLi8

Here are all the other settings, like logging, 'God View', etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zztPEnvUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRXlhx0JYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQYniocCDc

Soon I'll post my ugly Beast car which is just a straight up ratty muscle car with a huge v8 ford big block in it.

:negative:

excellent bird guy

by Cyrano4747

owlhawk911 posted:

i think they're a lot more reliable/easier and cheaper to work on too. if you're going to have it for a while you'll end up saving more than the purchase price difference in repair costs eventually, the ones when they started experimenting with cylinder deactivation are the worst. they're also a lot bigger, and i like little cars. i got a buddy set up in an 02 silverado though i just didn't have a pic on my phone. it's fine but gets low-mid teens mpg as opposed to low-mid 20s in my lil guy and everything we have to fix is a lot more work

My 2019 chevy does the cylinder deactivation thing, reducing from 6- to 4- at times. What's wrong with that?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Professor of Cats

:ohdear:

Heather Papps

hello friend

negative man bows in awe. This is a positive emoji I'm blown away marry me

Heather Papps

hello friend

It was such a good post I needed to carry it to this page

Professor of Cats

Heather Papps posted:

negative man bows in awe. This is a positive emoji I'm blown away marry me

:buddy: oh oh oh thank you so much!!

E:
You can tell I'm a huge nerd because I put an RPG style chat box at the top of the second screen.

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 10, 2020

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Sup everyone! Gonna do some show and tell.
I had the absolute pleasure on creating a custom dash for my buddy's custom electric Frankenstien's monster of a super car we named the 'Teslonda'.

Here is the ugly bastard in it's full glory. (First photo -credit to Keiron Berndt from Speedhunters)

This ugly thing has a Tesla motor shoved in the back, a Chevy volt battery pack, customer battery management system and I got to do the Dash stuff! This thing at the time was quicker than any super car on the market, propelling you 0-60mph in 2.4 seconds in pants pooping terror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyPmE6dFDQ

Now for the dash stuff!

First iteration - I wanted to make an "80/90s style arcade feel".

Action shots of it:
Booting up: https://i.imgur.com/SqECRd7.mp4

Here is it in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxgrqZKZf_s

Then I made a second dash screen, which I called the "Teslonda Power Pilot", which had the ability to change voltage/amperage/etc settings, as well as logging, and other fun stuff.

This one shows the demo mode - this happens when the driver turns the battery pack off - it shows a continue screen, high score screen, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amye7DRjLi8

Here are all the other settings, like logging, 'God View', etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zztPEnvUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRXlhx0JYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQYniocCDc

Soon I'll post my ugly Beast car which is just a straight up ratty muscle car with a huge v8 ford big block in it.

hell yeah now that's the stuff. your dash is awesome and looks extremely functional/fits the car super well but i honestly don't know much about ui design and stuff so "hell yeah great job" is really most of what i have to say. i caught the rpg prompt and it's one of my many favourite parts.
what do all the switches do? does your tablet setup do the same stuff? do you have more details about the driveline? i have always really wanted to mess with electric car stuff, i think there is a LOT of potential for the ultimate off-roader with individually driven wheels. some advantages would be:

*electric motors are super torquey and don't really have a powerband they just work, wouldn't have to worry about gearing so much if at all
*every wheel being able to turn at a different speed would give you super precise control, like the best of tracked and wheeled vehicles in one
*pretty much infinite articulation possible when you have wires instead of shafts supplying power
*battery pack and motors down low=excellent center of gravity
*those are the big ones i can think of off the top of my head

thanks for sharing and i look forward to seeing your muscle car :getin:

excellent bird guy posted:

My 2019 chevy does the cylinder deactivation thing, reducing from 6- to 4- at times. What's wrong with that?

i said the ones when they started experimenting with it, i've never even seen one newer than 2015 but i understand they're a lot better now and it is a good idea on paper/if it works right. the early ones (07 to either 11 or 14 depending who you ask) liked to clog stuff up and create mysterious hard to diagnose vacuum problems and there was an issue where the lifters wouldn't get oil in 4cylinder mode/oil would escape through the cylinders that weren't being used somehow, generally weird vacuum and oil supply issues. stuff like that is one more reason i like dealing with older cars, there are either fixes figured out or you know which ones to avoid. i didn't mean to say anything bad about your truck and i'm glad you like it :)

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

Heather Papps posted:

I also learned to change brake pads and tie rods and gently caress I forgot my drivers side tie rod has more play than I like and I totally gapped out on it for like 2 months

if you fixed it and took some pics we could teach our posting pals a little about how steering systems work/show them what wrenching is like

Dell_Zincht

owlhawk911 posted:

would you like to post them? or share a fun fact or story about them or ask a question?

I dont have any pictures but it's a 2007 1.4l Peugeot 207. Got it when it had only one previous driver and less than 20k on the clock which for its age was pretty incredible.

cda

by Hand Knit
That dash is incredible.

City of Glompton

cda posted:

That dash is incredible.

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

hell yeah now that's the stuff. your dash is awesome and looks extremely functional/fits the car super well but i honestly don't know much about ui design and stuff so "hell yeah great job" is really most of what i have to say. i caught the rpg prompt and it's one of my many favourite parts.
what do all the switches do? does your tablet setup do the same stuff? do you have more details about the driveline? i have always really wanted to mess with electric car stuff, i think there is a LOT of potential for the ultimate off-roader with individually driven wheels. some advantages would be:

MY GOON - check out The Tesla Sand Truck on instagram. It's literally an off road dune truck with 2 Tesla motors. It rips!!

RE: dash - My motivation for that second add-on was just going for an overly complicated, NES space simulator night ryder feel with a touch of anime robot touch screen.
It can adjust the max amount of amperage the motor will attempt to consume, as well as traction control, creeping mode, max MPH, max kilowatts, and regenerative braking. The driveline is just literally the tesla model S subframe; it has a builtin gear reduction of like 9.something? I'll have to look. Top speed about 135 I think?

This car can and will use up to half. a. million. goddamn watts of power when it is under full load. :science: And yes, it's super dangerous, if you are not very familiar with how electrons chooch around, one wrong move when putting all this together will turn you into plasma.

cda posted:

That dash is incredible.

Thank you!!

e:

Dell_Zincht posted:

I dont have any pictures but it's a 2007 1.4l Peugeot 207. Got it when it had only one previous driver and less than 20k on the clock which for its age was pretty incredible.

Wow that IS incredible! Should get some pics stat!

----------------

owlhawk911

Dell_Zincht posted:

nice, we don't have those here so i don't really know much about em but they look cool and i have a soft spot for zippy lil hatchbacks. honestly most of my exposure to that car was seeing it on top gear in one of their "races" (reviews) against some parkour dudes, does yours have the glass roof too? i thought that was neat

MY GOON - check out The Tesla Sand Truck on instagram. It's literally an off road dune truck with 2 Tesla motors. It rips!!

RE: dash - My motivation for that second add-on was just going for an overly complicated, NES space simulator night ryder feel with a touch of anime robot touch screen.
It can adjust the max amount of amperage the motor will attempt to consume, as well as traction control, creeping mode, max MPH, max kilowatts, and regenerative braking. The driveline is just literally the tesla model S subframe; it has a builtin gear reduction of like 9.something? I'll have to look. Top speed about 135 I think?

This car can and will use up to half. a. million. goddamn watts of power when it is under full load. :science: And yes, it's super dangerous, if you are not very familiar with how electrons chooch around, one wrong move when putting all this together will turn you into plasma.

i'm not on facebook/instagram on principle and have em hecka blocked on this computer, is this the one? it looks like a cool electric sandrail, but i'm daydreaming more about something with one motor per wheel. kinda like how skid-steers work with hydraulics, have you ever operated one? they can literally just spin on a single point because the left side wheels can be going forwards while the right side's are going backwards. i didn't see too many tech specs on that sand truck, but it looks like it still has a motor going to a differential with shafts to the wheels. electric powered vehicles are awesome for lots of others reasons, but that setup is pretty much the same as all gas engined vehicles as soon as you leave the motor all those benefits i'm thinking about besides low center of gravity/hell yeah lots of torque would require one motor per wheel. i tried to look for an example or a link but i didn't see anything. there are some hub motors now, but only in the last couple years and for whatever reason no one seems to be even thinking about offroad applications.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GugdJc-O7I
this is more like what i'm thinking of, but it uses hydraulics and is completely manually operated which is pretty clumsy and i doubt anyone but the guy who built it could really use it. it gets across what i'm talking about though, which is that wheels that can operate completely independent of each other in speed, direction, and position open up a lot of possibilities. i'm glad i searched this just now, that thing is pretty cool but just imagine it electric and with some sensors/computer control. not to dismiss how cool electric powerplants are in and of themselves (half a million got-dang watts is a lot of juice! regenerative braking is pretty amazing when you think about it too if not as immediately impressive!) i have just thought about this a lot and it's really weird to me not to have seen a single step in that direction by hobbyists or industry. the little focus there is on larger hub motors seems to be just cornering assist in track cars. they're super common in the electric bike/skateboard world but without any cool controls at all, just used because they're light/easy to package

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I'm a big fan of cars and a huge fan of driving.

Robot Made of Meat

Good thread!

I like cars a lot, but I don't have or get as many as I used to. I've never been as much interested in performance as much as in HUGE, comfortable cars. Power is necessary for them, but I need to have the sensation of driving a living-room down the road. For 20 years, I drove Lincoln Town Cars - - and they were not the biggest cars I've owned (and driven daily).

As to working on them, I'm happy that someone likes doing it. My dad worked for a car dealership for many years, and we could go in on Employee Nights and work on our cars. I hated every second of it! I'll stick to working on small, clean electronics, and I'll let others do the greasy wrenching!

I have co-workers who like to work on cars in their off time, and good for them! Me, I'll let them bust their knuckles all weekend long.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
idk much about real cars but i love racing sim games and CarPGs

Heather Papps

hello friend

Barco Fiesta posted:

Hmm now I want a vehicular combat rpg where my car is an intelligent nano machine thing and I can put points into chassis or suspension.

Or just a good mad max game i guess.

Dell_Zincht

owlhawk911 posted:

nice, we don't have those here so i don't really know much about em but they look cool and i have a soft spot for zippy lil hatchbacks. honestly most of my exposure to that car was seeing it on top gear in one of their "races" (reviews) against some parkour dudes, does yours have the glass roof too? i thought that was neat

Sadly not but yes you will have seen it on Top Gear in the parkour race, that was back when it was first released. Cars over here don't tend to have sunroofs anymore which is a shame, I always loved that our family car had a sunroof when I was a kid!

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

i'm not on facebook/instagram on principle and have em hecka blocked on this computer, is this the one? it looks like a cool electric sandrail, but i'm daydreaming more about something with one motor per wheel. kinda like how skid-steers work with hydraulics, have you ever operated one? .
Yes that is the one. Looks like a blast to drive. I've ALWAYS wanted to do some truck sand duning or offroad rally driving. It is one of my bucket list items.

Never operated the kind you are talking about but that sounds like a blast as well. A 4 wheel motor electric one sounds like it would be a beast and a ton of fun; the constant and steady torque would make bouldering so much fun.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I'm a big fan of cars and a huge fan of driving.

Agreed on the driving part, my friend!

Barco Fiesta posted:

METOO. Carmageddon and Interstate 76 brings back the warm and fuzzies for me. Anyone remember Interstate 76? That game, the cars and the weapons spoke to me.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

For 20 years, I drove Lincoln Town Cars - - and they were not the biggest cars I've owned (and driven daily).

As to working on them, I'm happy that someone likes doing it.

I have a super soft spot for Town cars and crown victorias.
I will say this about working on cars though; I hate actually doing it, but I love the feeling when I'm done.

----------------

Professor of Cats

more car stuff

I humbly introduce my project car, again, lazily named, The Beast.

It's a Ratty muscle car; 1972 Ford LTD Brougham, with a 466 big block powering this thing.

I was never a person that worked on cars until about 2012, after my dad passed. In a way, it's a way of still being close to him because he loved working on cars as a hobby. I'm sure he would get a kick out of my creation too.

and my daily over here - 2014 Ford Taurus SHO. :h:

----------------

owlhawk911

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Good thread!

I like cars a lot, but I don't have or get as many as I used to. I've never been as much interested in performance as much as in HUGE, comfortable cars. Power is necessary for them, but I need to have the sensation of driving a living-room down the road. For 20 years, I drove Lincoln Town Cars - - and they were not the biggest cars I've owned (and driven daily).

As to working on them, I'm happy that someone likes doing it. My dad worked for a car dealership for many years, and we could go in on Employee Nights and work on our cars. I hated every second of it! I'll stick to working on small, clean electronics, and I'll let others do the greasy wrenching!

I have co-workers who like to work on cars in their off time, and good for them! Me, I'll let them bust their knuckles all weekend long.

haha working on them isn't always fun, but it feels really good when you're done and it's nice not to have to depend on someone else to do it. i like fixing electronics too, we have a projector and a roland d-10 and some pedals and a super nice sound system i've fixed/built none of which we could have afforded to actually buy. the only big land yacht i've had was an early 2000's buick lesabre, but that was enough to understand the appeal. so smooth and comfortable! a chill place to hang with friends, and a whole lot more fun to drive than a van. i've never driven one, but on paper the lincoln continental town car

is the best highway cruiser i can imagine. this is what i would listen to while we cruised it. excellent vibes. the 2dr version is for doing crimes with, also very cool in a different way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDTXljIqxRE
what *is* the biggest car you've owned? do you have any cool pictures?

Barco Fiesta posted:

spintires was pretty cool cause they have user-created models of all kinds of cars. some people spend a *lot* of time modelling them, and it's cool to see what it would be like to try to drive a lamborghini through a mud bog or whatever. you ever play beamng.drive? i want to but don't have a very nice computer/can't really justify it when i haven't played most of the games i do have.

Yes that is the one. Looks like a blast to drive. I've ALWAYS wanted to do some truck sand duning or offroad rally driving. It is one of my bucket list items.

Never operated the kind you are talking about but that sounds like a blast as well. A 4 wheel motor electric one sounds like it would be a beast and a ton of fun; the constant and steady torque would make bouldering so much fun.

i haven't either, they don't really exist yet. the hydraulic one in that vid is something that guy built apparently, and i didn't know about it before i searched it up to make that post. you and your teslonda friends seem like the dream team it would take to make something like this happen, if they're into offroading at all. i could help with suspension stuff! the most expensive/heavily modified vehicle i have is a 99 e-250 (fullsize tradesman van) with the axles and transfer case of an 88 f-350 (big ol' pickup truck) underneath on leaf springs all around, it is killing me not to have pics handy and i will look harder tonight. locked front/limited slip rear, 33" tires. cost ~8k usd to build over a couple years. it's not the most comfortable ride and is terrifying in high winds, but there is something majestic about carving dunes in a vehicle with a bed and kitchen inside with a ratchet strap keeping your dishes from falling everywhere. being able to get places most people can't to camp was the real point and it's great for that, a little pod of civilization you can put anywhere you want. the stock van transmission eventually gave out and it's parked for now until i can find/afford a better one... reminding me i need to get ahold of someone back home and have them check on it

I will say this about working on cars though; I hate actually doing it, but I love the feeling when I'm done.

haha exactly! i don't quite *hate* it, it can actually be kinda fun when you're doing it with friends, but yeah wrenching itself isn't the payoff part. knowing everything about the machine you're using, being proud of what you've created, the awareness of it's limitations and confidence in it's abilities, not being dependent on/taken advantage of by mechanics (:argh:), being able to take more risks cause you can deal with the consequences (this is super true with offroading stuff where if something you can't fix breaks you are stranded) are all way cooler than breaking off rusty bolts and having to drill them out and not my any means the only cool things about working on your own cars.

just to be super clear you don't have to work on your own car or know anything about them or even have one to post here. you just have to like cars, and even that isn't really a requirement. i want everyone who has anything to post about cars to feel welcome here in the car thread

owlhawk911 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 11, 2020

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

more car stuff

It's a Ratty muscle car; 1972 Ford LTD Brougham, with a 466 big block powering this thing.

I was never a person that worked on cars until about 2012, after my dad passed. In a way, it's a way of still being close to him because he loved working on cars as a hobby. I'm sure he would get a kick out of my creation too.

Good Lord yes

owlhawk911

more car stuff

what an incredibly muscular car. big block, shaker scoop, vinyl top, pointy chrome bits, the back part comes up like a butt, really checking all the boxes. a lot of muscle cars these days are all flashy and modern-styled, but yours fits the era super well and i like it. black steelies like yours and old-school 5spoke cragars are the most muscular rims, i think they'd look awesome on your car. there were no pics from behind but i can see a flush chrome bumper from the side, what kind of exhaust do you have? does it make a cool noise?

these are the rims i mentioned

Professor of Cats

:hfive:

owlhawk911 posted:

but there is something majestic about carving dunes in a vehicle with a bed and kitchen inside with a ratchet strap keeping your dishes from falling everywhere.

My good goon, this sounds goddamned amazing. Gotta get some pics.

owlhawk911 posted:

what an incredibly muscular car. big block, shaker scoop, vinyl top, pointy chrome bits, the back part comes up like a butt, really checking all the boxes. a lot of muscle cars these days are all flashy and modern-styled, but yours fits the era super well and i like it. black steelies like yours and old-school 5spoke cragars are the most muscular rims, i think they'd look awesome on your car. there were no pics from behind but i can see a flush chrome bumper from the side, what kind of exhaust do you have? does it make a cool noise?

Thank you so much. The sound is amazing; polite and burly down low, aggressive and mean with full load! 2.5" H-pipe with Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, and mid length headers. RE: wheels, I might snag a five spoke someday but I'm perfectly happy with those stock steelies for now.

RE: Game stuff
I have BeamNG but haven't played it in years; is it worth diving back in and checking out?

----------------

biosterous

i enjoy these car pics and videos

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

City of Glompton

biosterous posted:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

lamb

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

biosterous posted:

My first car was a 1978 black and red Camaro Rally Sport. I loved that car. Sometimes I have dreams that it's my second car and in my dreams I drive it to work instead of taking the minivan.

Steely Dad

The sound is amazing; polite and burly down low, aggressive and mean with full load! 2.5" H-pipe with Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, and mid length headers. RE: wheels, I might snag a five spoke someday but I'm perfectly happy with those stock steelies for now.

Is it the original engine? What else have you done to it? Is it a 466 from being .030 overbored? Did you have to cut the hole in the hood for the shaker, or is it a Torino hood or what?

Looks like a hella fun car to drive.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Steely Dad posted:

Is it the original engine? What else have you done to it? Is it a 466 from being .030 overbored? Did you have to cut the hole in the hood for the shaker, or is it a Torino hood or what?

I used to have a '73 Gran Torino. I loved that car, but eventually sold it to a collector.

Here is a photo of me in the Torino circa 1976.

Nowadays, I like small, fast, maneuverable cars.

This is my 2014 Mazda 3 that I love very very much.

Professor of Cats

Steely Dad posted:

The car is extremely fun to drive. Yep, you nailed it, 460 .030 bored over. Slightly more aggressive cam, ported d0ve heads and the hood was mutilated by yours truly because I cant have nice things and wanted a shaker scoop ala boss 429 cars. 520ftlbs of torque and about 425h at the crank.

I used to have a '73 Gran Torino. I loved that car, but eventually sold it to a collector.

YES. Any more torino pics??

E: oh yeah, switched to posi trac so now I can get both legs on the ground. Also switched to electronic ignition as well as a 'ez' Holley smart carb throttle body.

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 12, 2020

----------------

owlhawk911

Thank you so much. The sound is amazing; polite and burly down low, aggressive and mean with full load! 2.5" H-pipe with Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, and mid length headers. RE: wheels, I might snag a five spoke someday but I'm perfectly happy with those stock steelies for now.

i would be too, they're my legit my second favourite and cheap as hell vs a rare/expensive classic. fit the muscle car "simple yet effective" thing way better than shiny designer rims, but if you have them it looks just like in the old magazines

lamb posted:

My first car was a 1978 black and red Camaro Rally Sport. I loved that car. Sometimes I have dreams that it's my second car and in my dreams I drive it to work instead of taking the minivan.

someone said a while ago "i'd trade it all for a t-top and nowhere to go" and tbqh if i had anything to trade/anywhere to go i would probably agree. old muscle car trim levels are super confusing, they changed what meant what every year it seems like and i can't follow it. which engine? did it have t-tops? the split bumper? why don't any modern cars look as much like ww2 fighter planes as split bumper camaros?

that first pic is very 70s. mazda 3's are great little cars, i drove a completely rusted out 07 mazdaspeed 3 around canada for a couple weeks until too much of it fell off. my main question about that second pic is where you found a mirror big enough to take bathroom selfies of an entire car/truck stop though :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well... yeah I guess I like cars too? Not sure where on earth I cant start tho because GG it's just ridiculous exactly what I have and what I've done with cars.

So I guess I can start with the newest in the fleet?

Subaru Levorg - 2 litre turbo AWD semi sporty luxo that can get out of it's own way and is sooooo nice to cruise in.

This was my Vr-4 from all the way back when I first joined Something Awful... poo poo 16 years ago. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh hey BYOB I have never posted here before. How you doing?

owlhawk911

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well... yeah I guess I like cars too? Not sure where on earth I cant start tho because GG it's just ridiculous exactly what I have and what I've done with cars.

So I guess I can start with the newest in the fleet?

Subaru Levorg - 2 litre turbo AWD semi sporty luxo that can get out of it's own way and is sooooo nice to cruise in.

This was my Vr-4 from all the way back when I first joined Something Awful... poo poo 16 years ago. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh hey BYOB I have never posted here before. How you doing?

yeah! we don't get the levorg here, that's rad. i didn't see your caption right away and was trying to guess, it didn't look quite like a legacy or one of the bmw wagons. bigger than an impreza smaller than a legacy, or is that just what you guys have instead of the legacy? if so i'm super jelly it looks awesome. kind of by accident because they kept falling into my lap subarus with EJ motors are what i'm most familiar with

the galant i know, that's my kind of ride. awesome shot of a diy rally car in its element. i absolutely love that stuff, but at the level i'm at there aren't any cages/photographers (we disable airbags and usually have helmets though). i think i mentioned it in the op but we prerun a logging road to make sure there's no one on it, block it off at the bottom and take turns doing "time trials" (just comparing times really) up the mountain in one of my scrap subarus. one thing that's cool about it is since everyone's using the same exact car it's a really even comparison

good to see you, make yourself comfortable. there is nowhere on earth you can't start, i think that was an excellent start. we have a chat thread for posting pets/crimes/hobbies/snacks and about a million threads full of jokes, or you could just stick around here and post whatever you want about cars

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
OP it sounds like you have a lovely living situation arranged and I'm jealous. That's the life. How are you getting all these super cheap/free cars?

That Teslonda is amazing. I love the fender mirrors and dashboard.

Between my girl and I we have three 20+-year-old cars so I do shitbox fleet maintenance. Maybe one day I'll drive a car made in the last decade, but I dread ever working on a highly computerized car.

Macnult

currently driving a 2005 ford freestyle which has served me well. i’m saving for a truck, hopefully a toyota tacoma, before making the move out to PNW

shy boy from chess club

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ferroque posted:

i like cars but i really hate driving

fuckin same plus when oil runs out were gonna look back at how stupid we were for using resources to get one person around in 3000lbs of metal but at least keeping an old one going as long as possible is the best you can do to not be wasteful, I like cars but theyre still stupid

I have pictures of doing fun stuff with my cars, if you get the chance do rallycross cause its cheap and all you need is a helmet and like $75 bucks to do it for a day. you drive around cones and fling dirt and look cool like this

then go climb mountains

I sold that car and really regret it but then I got this one for $200 and have been fixing it up and I love it cause you can drive to VT and sleep in it

This is my forever car and I want to be buried in it

This is my great uncles car that I did some work on last year and its like 20 feet long and rules. He bought it new and it still looks new

Check out these couches

I just did a bunch of work on my Outback and I painted everything while it was apart, no one but the guy who did the alignment will ever see this

Its got 220k on it but I keep it nice and it runs great

My wheels are green and I have a rust hole to fix

lamb

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

quote:

someone said a while ago "i'd trade it all for a t-top and nowhere to go" and tbqh if i had anything to trade/anywhere to go i would probably agree. old muscle car trim levels are super confusing, they changed what meant what every year it seems like and i can't follow it. which engine? did it have t-tops? the split bumper? why don't any modern cars look as much like ww2 fighter planes as split bumper camaros?

Sadly no t-tops. It was this car:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LS0918-331291/1978-chevrolet-camaro-rs/

but instead of blue and black, it was red and black, and the interior was all black, with black leather.

edit: I found one picture I took of her:

This would have been circa 1998

lamb fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 12, 2020

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The first repair I ever made was an alternator swap on a 94 GMC Sierra. The engine bay had so much space to work in, the alternator was sitting right on top, it was a dream except for hitting myself in the forehead with a very fast wrench because my improvised cheater bar slipped.

Oh and I forgot to disconnect the battery at first so things got sparky until I remembered. Old trucks are the poo poo, but now I drive a fiesta ST and small nimble cars are also the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats

I'm in love!!! Yesssssssssssssssss.

Im one of those dumb ford guys but hot drat are cameros cool or what

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The first repair I ever made was an alternator swap on a 94 GMC Sierra. The engine bay had so much space to work in, the alternator was sitting right on top, it was a dream except for hitting myself in the forehead with a very fast wrench because my improvised cheater bar slipped.

Oh and I forgot to disconnect the battery at first so things got sparky until I remembered. Old trucks are the poo poo, but now I drive a fiesta ST and small nimble cars are also the poo poo

Ugh, yeah I can relate. My favorite was being under the car, losing grip of the wrench and it falling on my mouth.
Oh recently! I didnt disco the battery, was removing my starter - and the lead contacted the frame causing sparks and all kinds of panic inducing fun.

Wear you safety goggles kids.

----------------