Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szkud

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Car list (well present anyway as AI well knows I had at one point 12 Subarus at once)

I had a 1999 LS I loved and a 1.8L Brighton that was awful, but still fun. Subarus are happy machines

my favorite car was definitely my MR2 Spyder. if it wasn't so expensive to own a car here, I would buy another and with infinity money I would make a Baja mod

work got me a truck, so I sold all my cars and just have this:

this isn't the thread for these I know, but I want to share

~(‾▿‾)~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

you know how i said my grandpa would just poo poo if he saw your other truck? my dad would be after this one, it would def end up with a 350 and 4wd if he got ahold of it though. he had a 69 c10 before i was born and it was his desktop background for a long time

re: campervans, a westfalia syncro with an ej25 swapped in was my original dream but practicality killed that pretty quick. the tdi would be awesome, is that a pretty common swap? i know a lot of people do ej motors, i was mostly looking at that cause i have a couple spares. the most worn-out 2wd westfalia shell costs more than my whole drat van did in the end, and the syncros are even worse. offroad capability was a big one for me too, i like to camp super remote, and the most built syncro ever still won't be as capable in that regard as a simple leaf/solid axle truck style thing. a friend i sent pics of mine back during my first big loop with it says he still has them and will send them to me, so those are incoming :haw: i tried a toyota-based dolphin too, but it was kinda bigger than i liked and yeah pretty underpowered. engine swap would help that a lot and it would be a great camper on-road

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ive seen a few things on that AC DMC, that thing is kicking rad

EV swaps ruuuuule! Tesla motor swaps into pretty much anything are becoming more common but one of my brother's mates has one that scares the living poo poo outta me. Like he usually does stuff like stuff a Leaf motor in a 2CV but he got a crashed Model S P100D and got those motors and controllers into a Mini Moke.

700hp and 900NM in one of those. While the traction control is off is hilarious as all it does is sit there and blow tyres off the rims. But to explain it fully, electric motors make traction control dead easy and even easier to dial in so you get 100% max traction with the right amount of wheel slip. So.... a light, basically a skateboard on wheels with a massive amount of power and perfect ability to put every scrap of it to the ground. Scary fast doesnt even do the drat thing justice - also it goes exactly where the steering wheel is point so if you dont have it straight you are going to hit a tree going very high speed in a very tiny amount of time. His daily driver is another Moke that he did a single axle Tesla transplant in. That thing goes pretty hard itself

Guy is insane. He's built some stupid rear end cars over the years but that one just tops everything.

that's badass. you would never expect it out of that goofy/adorable lil golf cart chassis and that just makes it even cooler. ev's are rad and moaning about the demise of muscle cars because of them is *ridiculous*. those cars are still going to be there, no one's coming to take them, and new go-fast technology is the very opposite of a threat to that hobby. people will soon associate that whine with POWAH like they know the rumble/brap means already.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaWB2h_QVrA - not EV at Summernats but lots of noise and smoke

this is so .au to me lol, i was starting to wonder how they knew when the burnout was supposed to be over but then they ran out of tire and answered my question. my other guess was going to be they would do it to a 1/4 mile or crash

Achtane posted:

You have a good philosophy, my dude.

I have a 1995 manual Toyota Corolla and I absolutely love it. I'm probably the only person who gets excited to see one of the same generation. The plan is to retire it temporarily and really spiff it up. My dream is to slap a 4A-GE (or make a 7A-GE) into it and autocross it. But I'm dirt poor. One day...

I also have a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis. I gotta replace its intake manifold (yay plastic part that coolant runs through yayyyy) and tie rods but otherwise it's been a reliable beast.

My grrl has a 1997 Chevrolet Lumina. It's made of hatred but just won't die yet. I despise this car.

thanks man. i have pretty much the same opinion of your cars that you do lol. i wonder if today's econoboxes will be this cool to people in another 20 years, i miss my civic all the time

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Tesla's are the new muscle car IMO. That why they can be so cool to drive - just hit the pedal and whomp you get hit by a bazillion torques. The first Tesla I drove was a Model X P90D and after I hit it with the insane mode switched on I'm at the next set of lights with the biggest poo poo eating grin going "Hooooly poo poo what the gently caress I GOTTAdo that again!!". All the power from basically zero RPM is amazing

Professor of Cats

szkud posted:

Is that a ural?? WANT.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

shy boy from chess club

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

owlhawk911 posted:

you know how i said my grandpa would just poo poo if he saw your other truck? my dad would be after this one, it would def end up with a 350 and 4wd if he got ahold of it though. he had a 69 c10 before i was born and it was his desktop background for a long time

re: campervans, a westfalia syncro with an ej25 swapped in was my original dream but practicality killed that pretty quick. the tdi would be awesome, is that a pretty common swap? i know a lot of people do ej motors, i was mostly looking at that cause i have a couple spares. the most worn-out 2wd westfalia shell costs more than my whole drat van did in the end, and the syncros are even worse. offroad capability was a big one for me too, i like to camp super remote, and the most built syncro ever still won't be as capable in that regard as a simple leaf/solid axle truck style thing. a friend i sent pics of mine back during my first big loop with it says he still has them and will send them to me, so those are incoming :haw: i tried a toyota-based dolphin too, but it was kinda bigger than i liked and yeah pretty underpowered. engine swap would help that a lot and it would be a great camper on-road

I think tdi swaps in vans aren't that common though I've seen a few only because I'm a huge TDI nerd. The Scirocco is getting one eventually, I have most of the big stuff already saved up and I should be ready by the time I get bored with or blow up the 8V. EJ swaps are way more common and ejs are way cheaper to get and find parts for these days. Yeah I didn't include synchros at all since they are insanely, unbelievably expensive and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one then take it off road

The C10 gets crazy attention when I'm out with it especially from older dudes, I've had so many offers to buy it but nah, I like it. If I did ever sell it I'd just ask some crazy price that someone would probably pay but I'd be sad if I had to see someone else driving it

CAT INTERCEPTOR

My MY06 WRX. Best car ever

Oh dis is the Levorg with the Clubspec EVO4

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 13, 2020

owlhawk911

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Car list (well present anyway as AI well knows I had at one point 12 Subarus at once)

1981 Series II RX-7. Now with 13B mild port and some suspension mods. I originally bought it ...... 1990.

2000 MY00 Clubsport EVO 4 WRX, gonna restore that. Got aforged internals motor so it goes all right but at present broken centre diff

1996 GF8 WRX wagon - reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long term project. I'll post some poo poo on this

1997 GF6 WRX wagon - got wrecked, bought it likethat. Gonna be the donor to get the MY96 wagon going

2006 MY06 WRX - Bought new. Bury me in this one. STOCK which is rare AF for a WRX

1999 MY99 Forester NA - my drive it anywhere DD.

2016 MY16 Subaru Levorg. When I wanna step out in style.

My bro got a MY00 WRX off me and turned it a AWD BRZ. That poo poo is mental, we aint said half the crap out loud what has been done to that.

i missed this yesterday, bringing it to the new page these are some *excellent* cars. i always used to want a rotary, but they're definitely a classic/collector level thing now didn't someone on these forums buy up the last new old stock engine bits? it's hard to pick favourites from this pro of a list but that and the wrx/brz are certainly intriguing

szkud posted:

I had a 1999 LS I loved and a 1.8L Brighton that was awful, but still fun. Subarus are happy machines

my favorite car was definitely my MR2 Spyder. if it wasn't so expensive to own a car here, I would buy another and with infinity money I would make a Baja mod

work got me a truck, so I sold all my cars and just have this:

there's a poster/project over in ai called "bajaha" you should definitely go check out. there was a beat up old mr2 spyder that got abandoned back home, ran great but was super smashed up and the top was missing. it was way too much fun to drive, and we wrecked it doing the logging road rally thing the same summer that we found it. that is a rad bike and imo you are in the exact right thread to post it, especially such a well-composed picture wow. adventure bikes are my favourite kind but small dirt bikes are the only kind i've ever owned. 1981 honda XL250 s or r or something, and a newer (late 90's i think?) yamaha XT225

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

make it the wagon and i might have to agree with you. all excellent rides, that evo was on one of my folders back in school days

i have received pics of my van and am gonna post em after lunch :hellyeah:

Professor of Cats

:justpost: video time! (TESLONDA)
(edit - click to see 4 dudes sound like giddy children driving a dangerous POS super-EV for the first time)

Story behind this short video:
Getting ready for her maiden voyage - we just finished stuffing the Tesla guts, Chevy Volt pack, etc, into the Teslonda.

The goal:
JUST DRIVE THIS THING.
We'll worry about the details later, we just want to see how this thing does! We have NO idea what to expect. We barely got the wheels to fit over the subframe too - it was grinding but who gives a poo poo, let's just take it for a quick spin and see...

So four big dudes pile into a scrapped out tiny Honda Accord and hit the switch....it MOVES. Holy poo poo it is moving...okay, let's open her up and see what she does:

(video is us slowly pulling out of a parking lot and then giving her a little goose on the road)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx4UE58OOe8

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hell yes

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 13, 2020

----------------

owlhawk911

Professor of Cats posted:

:justpost: video time! (TESLONDA)
(edit - click to see 4 dudes sound like giddy children driving a dangerous POS super-EV for the first time)

Story behind this short video:
Getting ready for her maiden voyage - we just finished stuffing the Tesla guts, Chevy Volt pack, etc, into the Teslonda.

The goal:
JUST DRIVE THIS THING.
We'll worry about the details later, we just want to see how this thing does! We have NO idea what to expect. We barely got the wheels to fit over the subframe too - it was grinding but who gives a poo poo, let's just take it for a quick spin and see...

So four big dudes pile into a scrapped out tiny Honda Accord and hit the switch....it MOVES. Holy poo poo it is moving...okay, let's open her up and see what she does:

(video is us slowly pulling out of a parking lot and then giving her a little goose on the road)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx4UE58OOe8

Hell yes

i said before how actual wrenching isn't the payoff portion of working on your own cars? that video is. the whole crew can't stop smiling/laughing about the thing they just did and i can't help smiling with them when i watch it. great/highly contagious vibes. for all the non car-touching friends reading, this is the best illustration of what that's all about i can think of

shy boy from chess club

owlhawk911 posted:

i said before how actual wrenching isn't the payoff portion of working on your own cars? that video is. the whole crew can't stop smiling/laughing about the thing they just did and i can't help smiling with them when i watch it. great/highly contagious vibes. for all the non car-touching friends reading, this is the best illustration of what that's all about i can think of

Yes so much this I couldnt help laughing along cause Ive been there and its the best

owlhawk911

it's been a real busy day and i met some people i'm gonna go blaze with tonight, i don't want to rush writing fun facts about my van and posting all the pics but i said i would and i got one ready for ya here it is

on a powerline/fireman access trail above la looking out at the ocean. you were NOT supposed to drive up there, this also counts as a picture of a crime!

City of Glompton

that's pretty

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

it's been a real busy day and i met some people i'm gonna go blaze with tonight, i don't want to rush writing fun facts about my van and posting all the pics but i said i would and i got one ready for ya here it is

on a powerline/fireman access trail above la looking out at the ocean. you were NOT supposed to drive up there, this also counts as a picture of a crime!

In digging this picture.

CAT INTERCEPTOR

As well as liking cars I take pictures of cars

szkud

Is that a ural?? WANT.

it is, and as soon as I'm not traveling and going to school, I'm going to buy [if it exists] or convert to electric 2x3 with a differential if possible. this spring I'm going to put a trailer hitch receiver bike rack on it so I can bike to bike with bikes on my bike

owlhawk911 posted:

there's a poster/project over in ai called "bajaha" you should definitely go check out. there was a beat up old mr2 spyder that got abandoned back home, ran great but was super smashed up and the top was missing. it was way too much fun to drive, and we wrecked it doing the logging road rally thing the same summer that we found it. that is a rad bike and imo you are in the exact right thread to post it, especially such a well-composed picture wow. adventure bikes are my favourite kind but small dirt bikes are the only kind i've ever owned. 1981 honda XL250 s or r or something, and a newer (late 90's i think?) yamaha XT225

I was not able to find the thread. I lost my mister two in a flash storm on the highway

I'll look again later though

if you like adventure bikes you probably already know about Rokon. dad has two (his third [below] with a sidecar was stolen). if you didn't, welcome to your new obsession. UBCO makes the electric sort of rival 'farm bike'

he also has a Honda trike that was converted to 2X2 and I got it airborne despite being not much of a thrill seeker. Behold, HOKON

I have been riding my whole life and have still never rode a dirtbike. it just never came up. I have always been a practical rider though, so that could be the reason

~(‾▿‾)~

Heather Papps

hello friend

szkud posted:

if you like adventure bikes you probably already know about Rokon. dad has two (his third [below] with a sidecar was stolen). if you didn't, welcome to your new obsession. UBCO makes the electric sort of rival 'farm bike'

he also has a Honda trike that was converted to 2X2 and I got it airborne despite being not much of a thrill seeker. Behold, HOKON

I have been riding my whole life and have still never rode a dirtbike. it just never came up. I have always been a practical rider though, so that could be the reason

the next motor vehicle I want is some sort of dirt/trail bike to toss in my truck so when up way in the sticks I can park and hop on the bike. I was not aware of adventure bikes and now I have some research to do. Is there a thread in AI about these?

shy boy from chess club

szkud posted:

it is, and as soon as I'm not traveling and going to school, I'm going to buy [if it exists] or convert to electric 2x3 with a differential if possible. this spring I'm going to put a trailer hitch receiver bike rack on it so I can bike to bike with bikes on my bike

I was not able to find the thread. I lost my mister two in a flash storm on the highway

Holy poo poo that Honda is amazing! Ive got a 1981 CT110 trail bike that I apparently have no pictures of but it rules and even has hi-lo range like a 4wd pickup. A friend of mine that has a couple of them and I are planning a camping trip on them next year driving all back roads from MA to VT. We did it one year with the Subarus and it was awesome

owlhawk911

szkud posted:

our mr2 looked worse than your after picture when we got ahold of it lol. i'm sorry that happened. i'd never thought of motorizing a sidecar, that's a really cool idea. is that a relatively common thing? around here "adventure bike" would just mean one of the larger dirt bikes (~650cc) with saddlebags and boxes and lights and everything stuck on em and dirt bikes are the only semi-practical bike. the doctor in the city near us has a super fancy bmw one that he took from prudhoe bay to tierra del fuego, which is about the coolest trip i can think of taking that doesn't involve the space shuttle. it's kinda weird to me that you'd say you never rode a dirtbike and then post a pic of about the best dirtbike i can imagine and mention jumping it one time :) i've seen a few of those, pretty much anyone up here who comes across an old trike ends up building one. the trikes suck and they are awesome so it's kind of a no-brainer. i wanted to try out my newly acquired search feature so i found you the baha build thread

Heather Papps posted:

the next motor vehicle I want is some sort of dirt/trail bike to toss in my truck so when up way in the sticks I can park and hop on the bike. I was not aware of adventure bikes and now I have some research to do. Is there a thread in AI about these?

they have a whole subforum called "the cycle asylum" but i've never really read it. i'd check there. people that build the kind of bikes i like don't really seem to be big internet users lol, i'm assuming there will be a lot of crotchrockets and stuff. the one dude just posted built from an old trike would be the perfect thing for what you're talking about imo

shy boy from chess club posted:

Holy poo poo that Honda is amazing! Ive got a 1981 CT110 trail bike that I apparently have no pictures of but it rules and even has hi-lo range like a 4wd pickup. A friend of mine that has a couple of them and I are planning a camping trip on them next year driving all back roads from MA to VT. We did it one year with the Subarus and it was awesome

i've ridden a bunch of trail 90s, they were super common in mexico for some reason. not the most capable offroad bike tbh, kinda underpowered and not a lot of travel in the rear but they're so light and manageable. trying to load one up with camping gear sounds... interesting to me, but i'm sure the 110 is better suited for it and nothing is impossible. i don't know the area at all or what kind of road conditions you're expecting, but getting over a log with one of those lil guys loaded down sounds sketchy as hell. racks/bags would probably help a lot, i always had to just wear my backpack and it was pretty sketchy even on the much newer 225 with a monoshock and everything

Professor of Cats

:rock::rock::rock:
I LOVE THAT FARM BIKE. I'm sending this to all my friends holy poo poo.

owlhawk911 posted:

Yes so much this I couldnt help laughing along cause Ive been there and its the best

You friends get it; everytime I rewatch that it puts a smile on my face. My friend's laughter is extremely infectious. We felt like kids that built a magic vehicle or something; like watching Frankenstein's monster come to life.

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

You friends get it; everytime I rewatch that it puts a smile on my face. My friend's laughter is extremely infectious. We felt like kids that built a magic vehicle or something; like watching Frankenstein's monster come to life.

I work with an arts collective, and a while ago one of the members posted in the group chat about needing help changing a tire.
The bunch of art school kids were helpless so I talked him thru the process. He had the nuts off, just needed to break the rust and pop er off.
So I tell him to sit down and kick at it, dude cant manage.
I tell him to get a sledge, he takes a picture of like, a geologists rock hammer and asks if that'll work.

Anyways, dude borrows a sledge from his neighbour and then posts a video of his noodle arm smackin the tire till it pops off and his cheer of surprise and joy made my year. I gotta see if I can find the video it's the funniest loving thing.

Professor of Cats

Heather Papps posted:

I tell him to get a sledge, he takes a picture of like, a geologists rock hammer and asks if that'll work.

:allears: I love it.

Heather Papps posted:

Anyways, dude borrows a sledge from his neighbour and then posts a video of his noodle arm smackin the tire till it pops off and his cheer of surprise and joy made my year. I gotta see if I can find the video it's the funniest loving thing.

:classiclol: Hahaha hell yeah. I usually default to "hit that poo poo with a hammer" fairly quickly due to my impatience.

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

I gotta see if I can find the video it's the funniest loving thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMDzyyBf2Ho

I have never my life seen such an advanced handle grip technique

Heather Papps

hello friend

owlhawk911

Heather Papps posted:

this is wholesome and adorable

shy boy from chess club

owlhawk911 posted:

i've ridden a bunch of trail 90s, they were super common in mexico for some reason. not the most capable offroad bike tbh, kinda underpowered and not a lot of travel in the rear but they're so light and manageable. trying to load one up with camping gear sounds... interesting to me, but i'm sure the 110 is better suited for it and nothing is impossible. i don't know the area at all or what kind of road conditions you're expecting, but getting over a log with one of those lil guys loaded down sounds sketchy as hell. racks/bags would probably help a lot, i always had to just wear my backpack and it was pretty sketchy even on the much newer 225 with a monoshock and everything

Oh yea its super slow and we arent like off-roading just normal maintained dirt roads with houses on them and stuff, there were a few small hairy places we got into but nothing too bad for the little bikes. Ive got a bunch of racks that they use in Australia for the posty bikes to hold lots of stuff and Im going to get stronger shocks for the back so it can hold the weight

Heather Papps posted:

hahaha man this is so great

Professor of Cats

Heather Papps posted:

I love this so much.

Yo I wanna post some more cars; my old boss built a steam car; that deserves some look-see's. Hopefully tonight. Also I still cant get over szkud's farm bike.

----------------

Professor of Cats

:justpost: a tractor story

Check out this red Farmall Tractor.

Check out this Tractor with a trailer that has picnic table attached.

Checkout us cruising down the road to a work lunch on the picnic table, attached to a Tractor.

EDIT:

steam car pics:

I had nothing to do with this but witnessed it. my mad scientist friend purchased a working steam "motor", got some plans from an old steam racecar designer and went to town. Apparently the boiler design is Odfelt or something close sounding? Anyway it has 72 (or something) points of failure - meaning that if something goes wrong, these fail points will blow before the thing turns into a bomb.

It sounds like a train and moves like one too.

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 15, 2020

----------------

City of Glompton

whoa

those are both amazing things, thank you for sharing. really liked the picnic tractor

owlhawk911

steam car pics:

I had nothing to do with this but witnessed it. my mad scientist friend purchased a working steam "motor", got some plans from an old steam racecar designer and went to town. Apparently the boiler design is Odfelt or something close sounding? Anyway it has 72 (or something) points of failure - meaning that if something goes wrong, these fail points will blow before the thing turns into a bomb.

It sounds like a train and moves like one too.

was this a sema thing too or what? i have never even thought about steam racecars before, but it makes sense that it would have been a thing lol

do you have any more info o nthis?

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This is my favorite thread.
Good vibes itt

szkud

owlhawk911 posted:

our mr2 looked worse than your after picture when we got ahold of it lol. i'm sorry that happened. i'd never thought of motorizing a sidecar, that's a really cool idea. is that a relatively common thing? around here "adventure bike" would just mean one of the larger dirt bikes (~650cc) with saddlebags and boxes and lights and everything stuck on em and dirt bikes are the only semi-practical bike. the doctor in the city near us has a super fancy bmw one that he took from prudhoe bay to tierra del fuego, which is about the coolest trip i can think of taking that doesn't involve the space shuttle. it's kinda weird to me that you'd say you never rode a dirtbike and then post a pic of about the best dirtbike i can imagine and mention jumping it one time :) i've seen a few of those, pretty much anyone up here who comes across an old trike ends up building one. the trikes suck and they are awesome so it's kind of a no-brainer. i wanted to try out my newly acquired search feature so i found you the baha build thread

you're totally right about 'adventure bike'. I should know better, I'm an ADV member and my first leaning sidecar rig was a GS. rokons just don't register as a dirt bike to me. it's much more like a two wheeled tractor

that's a cool Baja, but I meant baja, like Baja California race car. Specifically though, I mean an MR2 version of Matt Farah's Safari Porche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl4iK0AuVU

It is very loud. that is a downside for me, not everyone though. the Ubco fixes that and accelerates better

Heather Papps posted:

Iunno, I've never been to AI. you will want to get a really heavy duty ramp. there's just no tossing a Rokon or Hokon. if you want to lose a few hours, watch Rokons riding in water

the hubs are sealed, so you can leave them empty and the bike is boyuaunt (the sidecar is boyant while ridden) or put extra fuel in them to extend your range... or as my dad always suggests, beer.

I rode a Puch moped once and decided that I was better off bicycling. maybe that ct110 would change my mind

~(‾▿‾)~

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

was this a sema thing too or what? i have never even thought about steam racecars before, but it makes sense that it would have been a thing lol

do you have any more info o nthis?

Yep, my old boss' built this thing from scratch basically and ended up getting into SEMA thanks to Paul (owner of Chemical Guys). That happened because my boss sold Paul an ariel atom and the dude being extremely friendly, saw the Steam Car and was like "PUT THAT IN SEMA". Very cool guy.

It has a heavily modified Model A frame (i think?), the thing gets oil and water EVERYWHERE when it runs but it sounds amazing; full on steam train noise.

szkud posted:

Specifically though, I mean an MR2 version of Matt Farah's Safari Porche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTl4iK0AuVU

I love all baja/rally stuff. I swear one of these days I will get/convert a car so I can go mob that thing around.

----------------

owlhawk911

My Van Is Rad, and I Thought You Should Know

this is my van. i lived in it for a few years until i was offered a good job, then broke my back doing said job. don't work, bosses suck and living in a van is rad. i have way, way more pictures but they're on a computer at a buddies place. these are some i sent to someone during my first big trip with it and i'm gonna see what fun facts they remind me of

this is a picture of my van all set up for staying chill in the desert. big ol fulsize awning from a winnebago, airplane blanket covering the window, sunshade up front. there's a camp pad covering the back windows too, i didn't realize just how hot it got in the desert. it's probably low 90's in that pic and it's the middle of dang winter. what's up with that? this is near slab city, after i moved out but before i found my good spot next to a wash and dug a firepit and everything. dfw a squat gets too organized :( all those phony part-time "artists" out in east jesus are ruining the place, i never would've thought gentrification could apply to an abandoned military base but in 2020 it does. the tire is on the back because 1. it's too big for the normal place underneath and 2. there is a water tank there now. the back part under the bed is the truck bed zone where tools and parts and stuff live, house storage and batteries are inside/under the bench. the shovel is the bathroom, later i put a nail through the handle near the end so it would hold a roll of tp but this is before that inspiration struck

these are some pictures of inside, it's still pretty rough at this point. i built everything alllll by myself with no real idea what i was doing, and it shows. the walls turned out super well and those are still in there. filled up the airspace with good ol fiberglass insulation, then covered em up with those panels. 1/4" marine plywood with carpet padding and some kind of easy chair style fabric my buddy had covering them up. the kind where you can smooth it down one direction and then write on it with your finger the other way, you know what i mean. the flip up seat thing really didn't work very well and i tore it out about a month after this. replaced with benches/storage that reached to the fridge and a drop-in table part in the middle instead. the house batteries/inverter/charger are under there by the fridge, and food is on the other side. the whole floor is one giant piece of oak plywood, i really scored on that. cut it to fit and notched it right in, which was a pain but very worth it. the swivel seat is from a chevy gladiator conversion van and super comfy. the guy i had weld the adapter plate to it kinda hosed up so it's harder to turn around than it should be (got to make sure it's in the right place first) but hey, what can you do. most of the time i left it facing backwards and kept water behind it before i got the tank in. the laptop is sitting on a 2 burner stove with a nice glass lid, i think the fridge/stove assembly came from a westfalia but i'm not sure

this is a pic of the front axle, i guess to show how ruff and tuff it is? i think it's a dana 44, it came out of an 88 f-350 and fit the van pretty easily whatever it is. should be a dana 44 in front and 60 in the rear. the transfer case out of the same truck, np205 i think, and i should've tried to take the transmission too because then i would probably be writing this post from inside a driveable van. that would have been a lot harder though, detached transfer case = easy to install. if i were a richer or more patient man it would have a 4bt and nv4500 (engine/trans) but probably the same axles. locked front, limited slip rear. the tires are 33" tall, that's like 4" bigger than normal! i had to cut juuuust a little out of the back part of the front wheel arches, but you can hardly tell. everything is super solid and simple like a dang ox cart, so it won't break and i can fix it if it does. right now it has the stock engine/trans, both of which are terrible. i didn't know that when i got it, i picked the e-250 to start with because it's the only van that's body on frame like a truck and that makes it a LOT easier to do it up for offroading like a truck.

this is a pic of my van in its natural habitat, driving somewhere weird that no one else can get to. i drove 30 some miles through those mountains, I-8 to I-10 without touching pavement other than crossing the highway in glamis. i did not know about glamis before i got there, it is a big destination spot for people from la to come play in the dunes with some really incredible toys and i have to admit i took a lot of joy in owning them by doing all the sick jumps and dune carving etc they were trying in custom sandrails with my house. there are no good action shots of my van that i know of because how am i supposed to take them while i drive it? this one is from when i stopped and climbed a cool rock i saw. most of the van pics i would have back home would be it stuck somewhere or filling the role normal peoples' faces do in selfies (parked in front of a cool view or landmark). i got it stuck in a river once, and had to build a bridge for it another time. i drove it around the whole kenai peninsula. i crashed it into a tree doing driftaru in the gila wilderness area. i dug/pulled a family's minivan out of the ditch in winter and made them hot cocoa, during an 18hr one-shot drive to surprise my grandparents for christmas. i stayed in cites plenty of times too, it looks just like a work van (the awning looks like a conduit holder) and no one looks at it twice. there are def refinements i could make but i frickin love this van and writing this up has reminded me of why. i really got to get it going again

if you have any questions about it please ask me them, no matter how dumb you might think they are. i love to talk about this van and living in vans and life on the road in general, and everyone i know is sick of hearing about it by now. i hope you liked reading about my van

shy boy from chess club

Good god man that van is incredible and exactly what I want to do to something, fuckin wicked looking forward to seeing more pics whenever you get them, holy poo poo. Im really really sad about slab city, it was on my list for sure but why does gentrification have to happen to everything, that SUCKS, so disappointed. Love the story about the hot chocolate rescue, thats some good poo poo there, you seem like a good person and I LOVE THAT VAN

shy boy from chess club

This is where my truck sat since I think around 1982 that was the last year on the tag, it might have been moved around some before all the stuff became derelict but for the most part it just sat there and sunk into the luckily pretty dry soil inside the greenhouse, this was 2010

Tried getting it out with the tractor but no dice

My Ram (the Beast) to the rescue, that truck did some WORK

The right front brake was locked up so it wasnt easy

Luckily I had been pouring oil down the carb on this truck over the years every time I had a chance so it wasnt stuck. There was something wrong with one of the valves cause the rocker was cutting a hole into the valve cover, I think it dropped a valve when I was doing the burnouts at like 5k rpms, found a piece of valve at the end of the y-pipe! lol

Then just a pic at a show with the F1 a few years ago

Professor of Cats

Then just a pic at a show with the F1 a few years ago

Looks like you got the F1 up and running! Right?

That last pic is amazing. Man it sounds like you have a Roma spirit in you. :allears: I'm sure you have some stories. Have you picked up hitch hikers? (have any of you?)

----------------

City of Glompton

i love and appreciate the van. the truck is also nice it has a nice face. why are trucks so mean and angry looking now :(

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

My Van Is Rad, and I Thought You Should Know

yeah, that is rad hot drat

----------------

owlhawk911

Good god man that van is incredible and exactly what I want to do to something, fuckin wicked looking forward to seeing more pics whenever you get them, holy poo poo. Im really really sad about slab city, it was on my list for sure but why does gentrification have to happen to everything, that SUCKS, so disappointed. Love the story about the hot chocolate rescue, thats some good poo poo there, you seem like a good person and I LOVE THAT VAN

thanks man, it'll be a while before i'm back around more van pics though. it does really suck about slab city. i deleted this once and am trying again, it was a pretty intense time for me and i'm really sad to see it get assimilated. when i was first there the cops weren't allowed in and if someone was a piece of poo poo their camp would get burned down. didn't need money for anything. painted up school buses full of hippie kids gave out soup and sang songs. a guy grew weed in an old swimming pool or basement, all by hand, tarp up top for light cycle control. people looked for rocks and brought them to people who cut/polished them who gave them to people who made jewelry. that's where my chain is from. people scavenged the old base dumps for materials to build shelters, and some of them were absolutely incredible. my thing was setting up solar systems, there was a big solar installation going in nearby and someone showed up with a truckload of panels. last time i was through there were a bunch of nice cars at the "bar", which didn't serve alcohol anymore because they didn't have a license, and some band playing that had brought out lights and a nice pa system and everything. got me kinda bummed about the slabs/tucson crew/society in general stuff tbh. i have never felt as at home anywhere else as i did there, it was a whole city that operated the way we do in little trailers in the woods and i didn't realize that was possible until i was there. i hadn't heard about it when i found it, a girl i picked up in joshua tree led me there and really my thoughts about it are mostly the angry kind of nostalgic about that way of life being assimilated into greater society but only the aesthetic bits not the principles same as with weed legalization and i really don't want to break the cool and good no politics rule so that's it for now

That last pic is amazing. Man it sounds like you have a Roma spirit in you. :allears: I'm sure you have some stories. Have you picked up hitch hikers? (have any of you?)

i stop for literally every hitchhiker i see, that's the rule if you ever want to get picked up. i won't always pick them up but i stop to see what's up at least. pro tip, roll your window down to say hi and if they talk about where they're trying to go/seem cool go for it. if they grab for your door handle right away that's a bad sign imo, i don't like pushy people though. it's only gone badly once, someone kept poking around in my poo poo and after the 3rd strike i left them by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere to diefind another ride. there's was nothing worth stealing in there but it's the principle of the thing. that's my worst hitchhiking memory, it was pretty unchill they didn't want to get out of the truck and i had to be mean. the best one is being like 5 and riding in the back of this chinese family's orange truck in guatemala with my dad, we were trying to get to tikal. their spanish wasn't much better than ours (terrible) so when we got to town instead of dropping us where we'd tried to tell them we were going we went to a school and picked up their kids who helped translate. it was warm and nice and the truck was pretty slow, and there were tons of really good oranges to eat. i think there were some chickens in cages in there too for part of the way. the kids taught me to play soccer and they made us dinner/let us put up hammocks in their yard and gave us a ride to a bus station in the morning

City of Glompton posted:

i love and appreciate the van. the truck is also nice it has a nice face. why are trucks so mean and angry looking now :(

thanks. it's not just trucks it's all cars imo and i think it's cause people are scared these days and want to feel tough. even the subarus now are all angular and sharp. look at the dang beetle even, friendliest car there ever was

i think the fiat 500 is the friendliest car still being made, but the older one is just plain adorable

i really liked the truck pic where it was all tucked in the bushes waiting to be rescued. driving something that was that close to going back to the earth has to feel good. shy boy's farm is a place i'd like to visit, every pic i've seen so far is filled with good vibes and i've never gotten to pet a skunk before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

the farm truck pics made me think of this car at my grandparent's farm. i'd love to save it someday, but the engine isn't in the car right now and looks like it's in pretty bad shape so driveline swap is the way forward and i can't afford that. no rust beyond cool looking surface stuff, no dents, needs back glass but it's flat so should be easy. all the cloth in the interior is gone but everything else is still there. all you'd need is an engine... and trans... and fuel system... and electrics... probably steering... some seats...

the cool guy option would be electrifying it like professor of cats's crew does. at the point where you need new everything anyways it might not even be that much more expensive. from what i understand heavy vehicles aren't ideal for that though, and i'm sure this thing is massive