Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

Mercury breezeways were very cool. Is the back glass missing, or just rolled down?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Mercury breezeways were very cool. Is the back glass missing, or just rolled down?

sadly it is in fact broken, you can see the edge of broken glass sticking up from the hole it rolls down into. usually the flatter a piece of glass is the cheaper though, i don't know why that is exactly but completely flat stuff that i think just gets cut out is very cheap and weird bubbles and wraparound windshields and stuff are always the most expensive. gonna bring some farm rides to the new page with us here

shy boy from chess club posted:

This is where my truck sat since I think around 1982 that was the last year on the tag, it might have been moved around some before all the stuff became derelict but for the most part it just sat there and sunk into the luckily pretty dry soil inside the greenhouse, this was 2010

Tried getting it out with the tractor but no dice

My Ram (the Beast) to the rescue, that truck did some WORK

The right front brake was locked up so it wasnt easy

Luckily I had been pouring oil down the carb on this truck over the years every time I had a chance so it wasnt stuck. There was something wrong with one of the valves cause the rocker was cutting a hole into the valve cover, I think it dropped a valve when I was doing the burnouts at like 5k rpms, found a piece of valve at the end of the y-pipe! lol

Then just a pic at a show with the F1 a few years ago

owlhawk911 posted:

the farm truck pics made me think of this car at my grandparent's farm. i'd love to save it someday, but the engine isn't in the car right now and looks like it's in pretty bad shape so driveline swap is the way forward and i can't afford that. no rust beyond cool looking surface stuff, no dents, needs back glass but it's flat so should be easy. all the cloth in the interior is gone but everything else is still there. all you'd need is an engine... and trans... and fuel system... and electrics... probably steering... some seats...

the cool guy option would be electrifying it like professor of cats's crew does. at the point where you need new everything anyways it might not even be that much more expensive. from what i understand heavy vehicles aren't ideal for that though, and i'm sure this thing is massive

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

shy boy from chess club

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

owlhawk911 posted:

i really liked the truck pic where it was all tucked in the bushes waiting to be rescued. driving something that was that close to going back to the earth has to feel good. shy boy's farm is a place i'd like to visit, every pic i've seen so far is filled with good vibes and i've never gotten to pet a skunk before.

Id love to show you around here if youre ever in the area like I said in the other thread just let me know if you are. There is a lot of exploring to do and Ive never posted all of the stuff to look at and Id love to hear more slab city and other adventure stories, I love that stuff. That truck next to mine is a Mack fire truck from the 40s that lived in Providence RI before it came here to rest, Im trying to work out a way to get the stuff out of the greenhouses this year since they are no good anymore and move them into a new one. I want to find a newer truck chassis like a dually Dodge with a cummins and put the cab on it to make a rollback or ramp truck to carry cars. There is a fire truck museum in town that I would donate all the parts to so they can restore stuff, Im pretty sure the pump is still in it!

If you scratch Scouts back for like a minute she will be your best friend forever, her legs start scratching like a dog when you do it and I have to get a video of it cause its hilarious

Professor of Cats posted:

Looks like you got the F1 up and running! Right?

Yep at this point its pretty much restored but its my buddys truck so Ill see what I can do to get some pictures together and tell the story on that one. Its literally another farm truck from the town next door and hes actually the second owner! Right now its a flathead and a synchronized 3 speed and he was thinking about swapping in a 302 and C4 and I made fun of him enough until he gave an and now is planning on just swapping in a T5. I understand why he'd want to make it easier to drive since hes in a car club and brings it to lots of shows but that engine combo would just ruin the charm. The flathead is all rebuilt with a cam and aluminum heads and all so its perfect in my mind

Early morning pic on a way to a show a long time ago still in primer

These are a few years ago right after he painted it

Flathead right now has an Edelbrock carb, he had dual Strombergs that I hope he puts back on someday

Professor of Cats

:justpost: random Nevada gems

The Car Forest. Along the long and lonely road to Las Vegas. Seemingly in the middle of the dang desert. It's cars, buried half way in the dirt. check it.

art

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is what I dug out of a field a few years ago

Hadnt started in years, just basically abandoned

Brakes were locked etc

Hasnt got a feel good ending yet but it's the car I'm working on ATM. It's a worthless turd that has been bashed and crashed and repaired but..... one day.

Now THIS car......

Did NOT have a happy ending and I literally pissed on it when I traded it in. gently caress. THAT. CAR.

I could I guess repeat the stories but TBH it's best to just read this very long running thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749332 - this is me having a mental breakdown and buying ALL the Subarus. I'm way more better off esp I got married late last year to a wonderful Goon that is fully supportive with all the car crazy and also gave me a good bit of a nudge to actually get stuck into the wagon again. I gave it the dumb name of WReckX because... yeah it's a WRX and it's a wreck and I'll see myself out.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Here's my dad's kickin rad '84 Toyota pickup and the RC version got him.

The bumper is a tire pressure gauge.

And here's his 1930s trailer.

binaryslacker

Good Times
I has cat, I drive car, vroom vroom

Professor of Cats

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Now THIS car......

Did NOT have a happy ending and I literally pissed on it when I traded it in. gently caress. THAT. CAR.

I could I guess repeat the stories but TBH it's best to just read this very long running thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749332 - this is me having a mental breakdown and buying ALL the Subarus. I'm way more better off esp I got married late last year to a wonderful Goon that is fully supportive with all the car crazy and also gave me a good bit of a nudge to actually get stuck into the wagon again. I gave it the dumb name of WReckX because... yeah it's a WRX and it's a wreck and I'll see myself out.

haha I appreciate WReckX. And congrats!! I gotta start browsing those project threads. I love picture to picture breakdowns of crazy projects.

Achtane posted:

Here's my dad's kickin rad '84 Toyota pickup and the RC version got him.

This is rad. Just reminded me to bust out my RC and give that a zip.

binaryslacker posted:

I has cat, I drive car, vroom vroom

:same:

----------------

City of Glompton

anyone see a good car today?

Professor of Cats

I did but I was too busy just driving home to appreciate it!

owlhawk911

City of Glompton posted:

anyone see a good car today?

i saw this car when i walked past a farm, i think it's a mid-60's corvair but i'm not very good with id-ing older stuff. i've never seen one before, it was kinda cool. a lot smaller than most cars back then seemed to be, kinda retro-futury. i bet it would be a good car to electrify. i keep thinking about doing that to something

City of Glompton

that's a p good car

i'm afraid the tree might be eating it tho

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

owlhawk911

i like to imagine they're cuddling and the trees protect it, like a big spoon

Professor of Cats

What I'm doing right now:Gonna get her purring again today... Hopefully

City of Glompton

good luck professor!

today my car is gonna have its 200,000 miles birthday

it's a 2006 Saturn Vue i am gonna get it some maintenance for its bday

Professor of Cats

City of Glompton posted:

good luck professor!

Thank you! And Happy 200k bday, Vue!!!

owlhawk911

What I'm doing right now:Gonna get her purring again today... Hopefully

what needs doin?

City of Glompton posted:

good luck professor!

did you know your car has a honda engine/trans? they had opel bits originally, but switched that up a couple years in for reliability reasons (you got the better one, 300k is a pretty good average for how long they seem to last). saturns are weird but kinda cool sometimes, they always amalgamated cars from other manufacturer's bits like that or built tweaked/rebranded versions of other cars. amc used to work the same way and they made one of my very favourite cars, the eagle

it's a weird station wagon thing. it looks like a station wagon and has all the station wagon features, but with leather seats and all that luxury type stuff, and the running gear of a jeep (4wd etc). it's really weird but kinda the perfect car, checks a lot of very disparate boxes. there's a cool looking sportscar one called the sx4, but i've never driven one. jeeps were their big thing and the eagle was kind of the first jeep/car combo that we call suv's now

City of Glompton

that's a cool looking car!

yep i did know about the honda engine and i have hopes of keeping this car for much longer. it's been very good to me for the most part :)

Q_res

We're fucking built for this shit!

owlhawk911 posted:

did you know your car has a honda engine/trans?

This is only true of the Vue Redline, which has the engine/trans out of a V6 Accord. The rest of the Vue trims had GM drivetrains.

City of Glompton

oh snap! so how do I tell?

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

what needs doin?

OH MY GOD i love the Eagle. It's like an aggressive station wagon.

The beast has been hibernating this winter because of a bad ignition switch. I replaced it with an even worse one (i didnt bench test it, DOH) and then I rage quit for the month. Now I'm back at it with a brand new one.

I'll effort post later but I'm off to Orielly's to get a new starter solenoid, because I fried it on my last starting adventure; here's hoping my ECU's brain didnt fry. (yep, I converted it to electronic ignition and fuel injection; holley setup with a dual sync distributor)

----------------

Heather Papps

hello friend

so my lovely sort of friend cranked off my tailgate handle when i was helping him move.

my dad was like "oh i'll help and took it off my truck.

i tried to throw it back on before i moved north, fully more than a month ago. it wouldn't click in on the right side. what am i doing wrong?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

owlhawk911

City of Glompton posted:

oh snap! so how do I tell?

if you type in your VIN on a website like this one https://www.decodethevin.com it will tell you all sorts of fun facts about your car

but he was incorrect! :eng101: all first-gen v6 vue's after 2004 use a honda j-series v6. the only ones that *don't* are the hybrid "green line" and the very base model. i looked it up just to be sure

OH MY GOD i love the Eagle. It's like an aggressive station wagon.

The beast has been hibernating this winter because of a bad ignition switch. I replaced it with an even worse one (i didnt bench test it, DOH) and then I rage quit for the month. Now I'm back at it with a brand new one.

I'll effort post later but I'm off to Orielly's to get a new starter solenoid, because I fried it on my last starting adventure; here's hoping my ECU's brain didnt fry. (yep, I converted it to electronic ignition and fuel injection; holley setup with a dual sync distributor)

aftermarket engine management systems seem really cool, i've never gotten to mess with one though. working on a car with a laptop is a sci-fi dream of mine, as is having a laptop in my car that will flash "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" as i drag race vin diesel. i thought you had to have coil packs though, how the heck does a computer-controlled distributor work? i guess it would just spin the rotor with a little electric motor or something, but that seems like a weird extra step

Heather Papps posted:

so my lovely sort of friend cranked off my tailgate handle when i was helping him move.

my dad was like "oh i'll help and took it off my truck.

i tried to throw it back on before i moved north, fully more than a month ago. it wouldn't click in on the right side. what am i doing wrong?

it's hard to tell just from this post but maybe your friend snapped off a little retainer piece. little plastic tab that's supposed to snap in somewhere, i would look at the right side where it won't click and see if it still looks the same as the left/if there are any broken looking bits. that or something it's supposed to connect to isn't in the right place, look and see what it clicks into on the left and wiggle stuff on the right around until it's the same

it should be pretty simple unless a piece broke off, and if it did good news a replacement is <$10

Heather Papps

hello friend

owlhawk911 posted:

it's hard to tell just from this post but maybe your friend snapped off a little retainer piece. little plastic tab that's supposed to snap in somewhere, i would look at the right side where it won't click and see if it still looks the same as the left/if there are any broken looking bits. that or something it's supposed to connect to isn't in the right place, look and see what it clicks into on the left and wiggle stuff on the right around until it's the same

it should be pretty simple unless a piece broke off, and if it did good news a replacement is <$10

he broke the handle on the outside of the mechanism.

i don't need to use the handle, for a while. i just.... okay so my dad decided on a sunny winter day to be helpful. his way of being helpful meant pulling off my tailgate so i could replace the handle mechanism easily, when i considered that a wait a few months issue.

anyways there is a hmmm i'll take some pic. i mounted the left side on the circle bracket thing, but the right side is a weird angle thing. i sprayed it with wd 40 but also, it's winter and i was sick so i didn't finish the job.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Professor of Cats

GOT THE BEAST RUNNING.
I had a bad ignition switch; so for like a month I was hot wiring her to start. I replaced the that bad ignition switch WITH ANOTHER BAD ONE (I didnt bench test it and verify it). So after a couple of months, it was time to fix that.

Here is the new switch, ready to go in. This goes on top of the steering column...

Which means I had to not only lower the steering column to get to the old one, but get under the dang car to remove some bolts holding the column all stiff.

Undo some bolts and such in this area...

Couldnt see poo poo; thankfully I got me some LIGHT

Now to undo some bolts from under the car....

Got the old one out...

Put 'er all back together

Replace my starter solenoid because it was sticky from all the abuse (meaning, the starter wouldn't STOP STARTING uggggh)

TADA - she is alive!!!!

(sound on - sorry for my loud music) EDIT: crap i uploaded the wrong one - ill fix this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnBIJU55m7c

owlhawk911 posted:

i thought you had to have coil packs though, how the heck does a computer-controlled distributor work? i guess it would just spin the rotor with a little electric motor or something, but that seems like a weird extra step

No packs needed; I have a single (but beefy) coil. The electronic dizzy just has a hall sensor that will tell the computer where it is at in the rotation, and it can infer when to fire each cylinder based on the location of the rising edge of that crank signal. The laptop IS fun but also a huge pain in the butt getting an initial setup. Then it is constant logging and going; hmm, i'm a bit lean here/fat there, and tweak.

Funny you mention all that though, once I get a custom dash in, i WILL flash danger to manifold when Im under full load. that is a dream of mine too hahah

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 26, 2020

----------------

biosterous

i like the word "solenoid". i don't know what it is but hearing it makes me feel like your cars are all high-tech space marvels

feel free to tell me that it's not futuristic or exciting, i will still enjoy the word a lot

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

City of Glompton

biosterous posted:

i like the word "solenoid". i don't know what it is but hearing it makes me feel like your cars are all high-tech space marvels

feel free to tell me that it's not futuristic or exciting, i will still enjoy the word a lot

:agreed: it sounds nice

glad i got a v6

Professor of Cats

biosterous posted:

Me too. And the sound it makes when you give it electrons is even more satisfying. CLICK!!!

sb hermit

Heather Papps posted:

i don't need to use the handle, for a while. i just.... okay so my dad decided on a sunny winter day to be helpful. his way of being helpful meant pulling off my tailgate so i could replace the handle mechanism easily, when i considered that a wait a few months issue.

anyways there is a hmmm i'll take some pic. i mounted the left side on the circle bracket thing, but the right side is a weird angle thing. i sprayed it with wd 40 but also, it's winter and i was sick so i didn't finish the job.

:ohdear: get well soon heather

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Wish my manifold wasn't in constant danger

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Good job getting that mighty beast running!
I like those old school speedometers...

Gotta replace the turn signal/wiper switch on my grrl's lovely Lumina. Step one: remove the steering wheel. Ugghhhghhh, you couldn't just make the loving steering column cover detachable? Thanks, assholes.

Also, I'm focusing now on getting the Grand Marquis running (manifold, tie rods/pitman arm, cooling fan issue), hitting the Corolla with antique plates, and slowly turning it into a beast. Maybe a project thread soon.

owlhawk911

Heather Papps posted:

i really want to help but am not sure what's wrong still, looking forward to those pics. this should be a pretty simple thing if the handle's all that broke, i don't know why you'd need to take off the tailgate. here's a pic of the latch mechanism inside it (this pic is from the back with the cover off, you shouldn't need to dig in this deep)

all the handle does is press those plates on the bottom up so as they pivot around that center point the rods attached to the top pull the latches that go into your truck bed in. if the handle's just broken like i think you're saying, all you have to do is unscrew the old one, lube everything inside up (needing lubed would be why the old one broke), and screw the new one in with its little legs under those plates. if this isn't what's wrong i'm sorry and will try to help again when you post pics

here's the old style metal handle that will look weird cause it's a little smaller but still fits right and won't break, and here's the direct replacement that will look right but is plastic and not as strong

GOT THE BEAST RUNNING.
I had a bad ignition switch; so for like a month I was hot wiring her to start. I replaced the that bad ignition switch WITH ANOTHER BAD ONE (I didnt bench test it and verify it). So after a couple of months, it was time to fix that.

Which means I had to not only lower the steering column to get to the old one, but get under the dang car to remove some bolts holding the column all stiff.

TADA - she is alive!!!!

(sound on - sorry for my loud music) EDIT: crap i uploaded the wrong one - ill fix this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnBIJU55m7c

No packs needed; I have a single (but beefy) coil. The electronic dizzy just has a hall sensor that will tell the computer where it is at in the rotation, and it can infer when to fire each cylinder based on the location of the rising edge of that crank signal. The laptop IS fun but also a huge pain in the butt getting an initial setup. Then it is constant logging and going; hmm, i'm a bit lean here/fat there, and tweak.

Funny you mention all that though, once I get a custom dash in, i WILL flash danger to manifold when Im under full load. that is a dream of mine too hahah

man i LOVE the beast. it's not really the kind of car i drive but every detail of it checks out with my idea of what a muscle car should be, even down to music choice and the pic tucked in the dash. stuff like having to get under the car to change an ignition switch is the single biggest difference between american and japanese cars though. don't really know how to articulate that difference very well right now, but like. everything is done super simply in a way that makes things more complicated for you sometimes, vs being sometimes weirdly complicated in a way that actually makes things you need to do easier. you can look at them and figure out what you're supposed to do even if it's really annoying, vs having to look at a book to find the One Weird Trick that makes what you're trying to do really easy if you know it

the idea of an electronic distributor is still pretty weird to me. i'm used to old stuff with gear-driven distributors that deal with ignition timing mechanically, and newer stuff with coil packs (or coil on plug) that deal with it electronically. i still don't really get it even with your explanation, is there still a rotor and everything in there or is it some kind of circuitry-filled box not at all like what i'm thinking of that's still called a distributor? a distributor to me has a rotor inside tied to crankshaft speed that spins around inside sending spark to the plugs as is passes their contacts and not a lot of room for computer control. i am no kind of expert and this is how i learn things, if you feel like explaining it more i am interested

biosterous posted:

solenoids are like relays, they're switches for lots of electricity that you control with just a little bit.

like this one for professor of cats starter, the little wire goes to the ignition switch he replaced and tells the solenoid when to close and send power from the battery to the starter without it having to go through the switch inside the car first where it could shock you or start a fire. the big wires on one side go to the battery and the ones on the other side go to the starter

i think that's futuristic enough, but i explained it so you could make your own decision

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Wish my manifold wasn't in constant danger

that's the price of living life 1/4 mile at a time. also having to stop for directions frequently, i imagine

Achtane posted:

Gotta replace the turn signal/wiper switch on my grrl's lovely Lumina. Step one: remove the steering wheel. Ugghhhghhh, you couldn't just make the loving steering column cover detachable? Thanks, assholes.

Also, I'm focusing now on getting the Grand Marquis running (manifold, tie rods/pitman arm, cooling fan issue), hitting the Corolla with antique plates, and slowly turning it into a beast. Maybe a project thread soon.

which manifold? imo intakes are easy, but exhausts love to stick bolts more than anything else on the dang car even though on paper they're simple too. also just to extol the superior engineering of glorious nippon a little bit, two trim panels and 4 bolts in my toyota pickup drops the whole steering column in your lap making both the ignition switch replacement professor of cats just completed and the turn signal replacement you are contemplating trivial tasks to be accomplished in minutes with nothing but a 10mm socket and philips head screwdriver. maintaining a lumina and corolla simultaneously will illustrate my point better than any words i could possibly type though :) corolla's are pretty dang lego-like, my experience there is more with the civic i had but it's really cool how far you can get just with factory upgrades from newer/higher spec vehicles. would love to hear about your plans for it

Professor of Cats

Achtane posted:

Me too; the wide sweep just nails that 70s aesthetics that I love. Also yes, get that Grand Marquis running. I love those cars.

owlhawk911 posted:

man i LOVE the beast. it's not really the kind of car i drive but every detail of it checks out with my idea of what a muscle car should be, even down to music choice and the pic tucked in the dash.
--
the idea of an electronic distributor is still pretty weird to me. i'm used to old stuff with gear-driven distributors that deal with ignition timing mechanically, and newer stuff with coil packs (or coil on plug) that deal with it electronically. i still don't really get it even with your explanation, is there still a rotor and everything in there or is it some kind of circuitry-filled box not at all like what i'm thinking of that's still called a distributor? a distributor to me has a rotor inside tied to crankshaft speed that spins around inside sending spark to the plugs as is passes their contacts and not a lot of room for computer control. i am no kind of expert and this is how i learn things, if you feel like explaining it more i am interested

Thanks dude!!

and yep, my dual-sync dizzy still has most of the normal components, it is tied to the cam, etc etc; but is also wired to a separate "Brain"/ecu/ignition box. So, instead of a rotor that connects the circuit to each sparkplug, it instead listens for a cue from this ecu on when fire all the pixies and to which cylinder to send em too. The dizzy has a reluctor and magnetic pickup, to which I had to manually 'tell' it where TDC was on the rotation, and from that, then I have to setup up initial timing and all the rest.

so in short; just imagine the dizzy's job was updated; it has the coil/plugs wired to it, but it tells the ECU where the engine is at on the rotation, and the ECU will tell the dizzy on when to fire and who to fire it too. (sorry if this is jumbled, im trying to type with a cat in my lap)

e: oh and not to be confused with the electronic ignitions that 70s cars eventually moved too; which is a bit less complicated than my setup, because the ECU at this point was just a separate ignition box; and the dizzy had a rotor just like the old points style had (but converted to a hall sensor essentially) and the coil wouldnt be energized until the ignition box would tell it too based on the RPMS.

Professor of Cats fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 26, 2020

----------------

biosterous

knowledge gained: what a solenoid is.

it's still a word i enjoy!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

owlhawk911

and yep, my dual-sync dizzy still has most of the normal components, it is tied to the cam, etc etc; but is also wired to a separate "Brain"/ecu/ignition box. So, instead of a rotor that connects the circuit to each sparkplug, it instead listens for a cue from this ecu on when fire all the pixies and to which cylinder to send em too. The dizzy has a reluctor and magnetic pickup, to which I had to manually 'tell' it where TDC was on the rotation, and from that, then I have to setup up initial timing and all the rest.

so in short; just imagine the dizzy's job was updated; it has the coil/plugs wired to it, but it tells the ECU where the engine is at on the rotation, and the ECU will tell the dizzy on when to fire and who to fire it too. (sorry if this is jumbled, im trying to type with a cat in my lap)

e: oh and not to be confused with the electronic ignitions that 70s cars eventually moved too; which is a bit less complicated than my setup, because the ECU at this point was just a separate ignition box; and the dizzy had a rotor just like the old points style had (but converted to a hall sensor essentially) and the coil wouldnt be energized until the ignition box would tell it too based on the RPMS.

ohhh ok. no rotor makes it click for me, how the heck that was computer controlled was the sticking point. so what's the advantage to a setup like yours over a coil pack? is this a pretty normal thing that i just haven't heard of for some reason? i thought that these days all of that was just handled by the ecu telling which coil to fire when, and it knew what was going on from the cam position sensor. actually i think i might have just figured it out, is this pretty much how you get that data out of an older engine design that doesn't have provisions for a cam position sensor? that would explain why it seems like a strange hybrid of new/old, before and after the rotor being the same but instead of a rotor you got sensor>ecu>trigger

also i am ashamed that i said crankshaft instead of camshaft before, those are not the same thing at all and i swear i know better

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

ohhh ok. no rotor makes it click for me, how the heck that was computer controlled was the sticking point. so what's the advantage to a setup like yours over a coil pack? is this a pretty normal thing that i just haven't heard of for some reason? i thought that these days all of that was just handled by the ecu telling which coil to fire when, and it knew what was going on from the cam position sensor. actually i think i might have just figured it out, is this pretty much how you get that data out of an older engine design that doesn't have provisions for a cam position sensor? that would explain why it seems like a strange hybrid of new/old, before and after the rotor being the same but instead of a rotor you got sensor>ecu>trigger

also i am ashamed that i said crankshaft instead of camshaft before, those are not the same thing at all and i swear i know better

Only advantage is that it was a minor upgrade from my older engine setup to achieve electronically driven timing and fueling. - I just swapped out the mechanical distributor with the holley dual-sync one, and the carb with a holley throttle body that has built in injectors and map sensor. (and a few other things of course but you get the idea.)

oh and no worries, I know exactly what you meant

----------------

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Oh dear gawd the days waaaaya back playing with mechanical dizzys and setting points gap and dealing with dead ... what was that thing on the side of a dizzy that drove the field collapse that allowed the coils to fire?

JFC I thank the Looooooooooooord for EFI, it's so much simpler these days

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

owlhawk911 posted:

which manifold? imo intakes are easy, but exhausts love to stick bolts more than anything else on the dang car even though on paper they're simple too. also just to extol the superior engineering of glorious nippon a little bit, two trim panels and 4 bolts in my toyota pickup drops the whole steering column in your lap making both the ignition switch replacement professor of cats just completed and the turn signal replacement you are contemplating trivial tasks to be accomplished in minutes with nothing but a 10mm socket and philips head screwdriver. maintaining a lumina and corolla simultaneously will illustrate my point better than any words i could possibly type though :) corolla's are pretty dang lego-like, my experience there is more with the civic i had but it's really cool how far you can get just with factory upgrades from newer/higher spec vehicles. would love to hear about your plans for it

Nah, it's the intake, the plastic intake which coolant also flows through and to which the heavy alternator is mounted. Also it has a nice and thin-walled nipple piece that a heater core hose clamps to. It's a feat of engineering.
But I've done one before, it's not really so bad. Any job that doesn't require crawling under the car is a cakewalk at this point. I'll probably do it tomorrow.

And yeah, you're totally right, the dichotomy between 90s Japan and 90s GM is extreme. One I don't mind, the other drives me loving insane. I wish she would scrap it and just get a cheap old Toyota/Honda/Crown Vic.

Here's my brainstormed to-do list so far. Once I have some extra money(lol) I'll make a project thread:

Looped PS lines + pump delete
LED interior bulbs
New struts
Strut tower brace
Lowering springs
New bushings
15" wheels
Catback? Magnaflow?
4AGE + 6spd if possible
Fender mirrors
Fender flares
Repaint
Window visors
Weather stripping
Floor mats
Fix steering column cover
Battery hold down
Better headlight bulbs
Fix interior vibration/cupholder not staying in/gas door not opening

It's not a shitbox and actually runs like a top, but it needs some love before it falls apart. I love this car.

Also if anyone had suggestions as to where to buy a 4AGE in the eastern US, I'm open. Seen a couple on eBay but the chance of finding one locally is extremely low.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 27, 2020

owlhawk911

Only advantage is that it was a minor upgrade from my older engine setup to achieve electronically driven timing and fueling. - I just swapped out the mechanical distributor with the holley dual-sync one, and the carb with a holley throttle body that has built in injectors and map sensor. (and a few other things of course but you get the idea.)

oh and no worries, I know exactly what you meant

knowledge gained: how old-school cars get efi

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh dear gawd the days waaaaya back playing with mechanical dizzys and setting points gap and dealing with dead ... what was that thing on the side of a dizzy that drove the field collapse that allowed the coils to fire?

JFC I thank the Looooooooooooord for EFI, it's so much simpler these days

i think a breaker? but it was just part of the whole "points" mess to me too. efi/obd2 has spoiled me thoroughly, throws that whole black magic fuckery out the window and replaces it with cold hard DATA. anyone who doesn't have an obd2-bluetooth adapter already should go order one right now, i have two now cause i lost my first one for a while and they're like $10

Achtane posted:

Here's my brainstormed to-do list so far. Once I have some extra money(lol) I'll make a project thread:

Looped PS lines + pump delete
LED interior bulbs
New struts
Strut tower brace
Lowering springs
New bushings
15" wheels
Catback? Magnaflow?
4AGE + 6spd if possible
Fender mirrors
Fender flares
Repaint
Window visors
Weather stripping
Floor mats
Fix steering column cover
Battery hold down
Better headlight bulbs
Fix interior vibration/cupholder not staying in/gas door not opening

It's not a shitbox and actually runs like a top, but it needs some love before it falls apart. I love this car.

Also if anyone had suggestions as to where to buy a 4AGE in the eastern US, I'm open. Seen a couple on eBay but the chance of finding one locally is extremely low.

man some of these things are waaay more doable than others, "new light bulbs" and "engine/trans swap" in the same list made me giggle a little bit. if i were you i'd get after some of the little stuff (led interior, battery hold down, better headlight bulbs, visors, floormats) right now to get momentum going and some of those good "i did something!" vibes, and keep an ear to the ground/check craigslist and junkyards once in a while for the intermediate stuff (wheels, springs, brace) and get after them when opportunity knocks. i don't know if it's the same back east, but out here the best way to get ahold of an engine you want is usually finding a lovely/wrecked car that has it. i kinda feel like a 4age in the year 2020 is going to be a lot like a honda b-series, harder to come by than they used to be. these rides may have originally been econoboxes, but like... weren't mustangs too, at one point? price/availability there is getting to be more "classic" than "old car" unfortunately, it'd probably actually be cheaper to get a 2zz at this point and while i've never actually looked into it i doubt packaging has changed too much

kinda regretting typing out all this unsolicited advice, i know that bugs a lot of people but TOO LATE i did and am programmed to :justpost: i guess my point (as much as i had one) is just don't let not being able to do all the cool stuff you're thinking of right away keep you from starting on it. and also chasing down interior rattles is hell and my solution is to give up immediately/turn the music up a little. i think fender mirrors/flares on a 7th gen corolla would look rad, throwback to the really early ones.

double e: even the edit was bad, that is the dumbest thing i ever posted, sorry to anyone that saw it, non car stuff removed

owlhawk911 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR

owlhawk911 posted:

i think a breaker? but it was just part of the whole "points" mess to me too. efi/obd2 has spoiled me thoroughly, throws that whole black magic fuckery out the window and replaces it with cold hard DATA. anyone who doesn't have an obd2-bluetooth adapter already should go order one right now, i have two now cause i lost my first one for a while and they're like $10

Ahhhh it was a capacitor on the side of the dizzy, that's what I was thinking of. Coils usually had ballast resistors. Opening the points caused a field collapse that lead high voltage in the coils and hence BOOSH spark.

I think? Been what 36 years since I learned the theory in high schools mechanics? We did motor rebuilds and the mate who I was teamed with top scored with almost perfectly tuned working motor.

EFI soooo much rocks except I'm not good with wiring.