Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Don't be so hard on your own posting, my dude. It's not unsolicited advice, it's just posting! I think you're right about starting small at first. Really I feel like, even if it takes a long time to get a 4AGE, the other stuff like suspension mods will make the car feel totally different. It is kinda funny to have it right next to, like, floor mats...

My plan for fixing the rattling is to cut up sheets of rubber and stuff it everywhere. But yeah I mostly just turn the radio up or put my knee against some part of the center console, haha.

After removing the subframe (scary) and changing out the clutch(super scary) last year, my confidence in working on this car skyrocketed. Every other task seems minor in comparison. The power steering hose that I thought would be a nightmare really turned out to be a few-hour job. No big deal.

On the Lumina, however...oh man. I don't even want to relive that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

little truckupdate i suppose: so, the reason the tailgate is off to replace the handle is because i live in northern ontario. it's loving cold and lovely currently, so in talking repair stuff with my dad i mentioned i planned to just pop the tailgate off and do the fix in the garage, cause, well... it's a garage. that's like, the whole point.

anyways, dads being dads, he decided, before i had ordered the part or even really cared to think about ordering the part, to be a helpful, proactive dude.
when i moved, last month, i was all sick with the flu and my attempts to reinstal the tailgate just for the drive failed. ive taken it off and put it back before, but i unno, my brain and body were under assault.

regardless i have a list of repairs i gotta get to, but i'm thinking i'll just take some pics and pop over to AI and get some good advice. i have heard of farmers running rangers for 500, 000 kilometers, and i'm about halfway there.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Professor of Cats

Achtane posted:

Here's my brainstormed to-do list so far. Once I have some extra money(lol) I'll make a project thread:

Looped PS lines + pump delete
LED interior bulbs
New struts
Strut tower brace
Lowering springs
New bushings
15" wheels
Catback? Magnaflow?
4AGE + 6spd if possible
Fender mirrors
Fender flares
Repaint
Window visors
Weather stripping
Floor mats
Fix steering column cover
Battery hold down
Better headlight bulbs
Fix interior vibration/cupholder not staying in/gas door not opening

It's not a shitbox and actually runs like a top, but it needs some love before it falls apart. I love this car.

I align in a LOT of those. Basically most of my interior and weatherstripping need replaced. I have instructions on how to do this but ugh, it looks like a drag. My rear suspension bushings are due for replacement as well.
Things I have done already include:
* in-tank fuel pump installation
* re-wired EVERYTHING
* converted to EFI, (e-dizzy, ignition box, coil upgrade, 02 sensor, holley throttle body and ecu, etc)
* manual to electronic fan
* entire engine build
* rear end upgrade (posi-trak)
* exhaust upgrade 2.5"
* interior headliner
* and tons of other money wasting things

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EFI soooo much rocks except I'm not good with wiring.

EFI is the best. That and in my in-tank fuel pump = NO MORE VAPER LOCK IN THE SUMMER TIME.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhhh it was a capacitor on the side of the dizzy, that's what I was thinking of. Coils usually had ballast resistors. Opening the points caused a field collapse that lead high voltage in the coils and hence BOOSH spark.

I think? Been what 36 years since I learned the theory in high schools mechanics? We did motor rebuilds and the mate who I was teamed with top scored with almost perfectly tuned working motor.

EFI soooo much rocks except I'm not good with wiring.

i thought the capacitor was just to keep the breaker from arcing, like it soaked up the juice the breaker was taking away somehow. i'm not great with circuit stuff like that honestly, i can follow a schematic but i don't always quite understand what all the parts i'm touching do. efi is where it's at for now and i'm really looking forward to ev cause i love wiring and computer touching almost as much as cars and it smells like a winning combo to me

Achtane posted:

Don't be so hard on your own posting, my dude. It's not unsolicited advice, it's just posting! I think you're right about starting small at first. Really I feel like, even if it takes a long time to get a 4AGE, the other stuff like suspension mods will make the car feel totally different. It is kinda funny to have it right next to, like, floor mats...

My plan for fixing the rattling is to cut up sheets of rubber and stuff it everywhere. But yeah I mostly just turn the radio up or put my knee against some part of the center console, haha.

After removing the subframe (scary) and changing out the clutch(super scary) last year, my confidence in working on this car skyrocketed. Every other task seems minor in comparison. The power steering hose that I thought would be a nightmare really turned out to be a few-hour job. No big deal.

On the Lumina, however...oh man. I don't even want to relive that.

haha i wasn't being that hard on anything you saw, at like 3am i segued from "old corollas are cool" to super depressing rambling about the time my buddy got shot and i drove him to the hospital in his busted-rear end 1988 corolla all-trac that wouldn't do better than 65 he did not make it and that is not the vibe here at all, it was a really bad post and definitely needed snipping. maybe i will take it to the bad vibes exorcism thread where it would fit *so* well and bum those guys out

the thing i didn't like about trying to silence an interior is it felt like every time i dealt with the last rattle i'd notice a new one within a week and be extra annoyed about it because i just spent all that time making it perfect. so now i just preemptively give up :) one of my dad's friends seemed pretty happy with his results using dynamat/foam tape back in the day, and it *was* the quietest early 90s silverado i've ever been in. but he had everything basically taped together from behind with dynamat and it seemed like it'd be a huge mess if next time he had to get into the dash again

you definitely have learned car stuff lesson #1 "it's not as hard as you think". it seems like that's actually the hardest one for people to get, ironically enough. one of my very early car adventures was failing to replace the subframe in a first-gen ex-rental sebring. we originally thought it just needed control arms etc but it was way worse than we originally thought. optimism led us to take a crack at the whole thing as long rear end we were in there, it just wasn't worth it though (bumper/headlight/etc all smashed in, and... ex-rental first-gen sebring.) we smashed it up instead and that was actually a really good time. i remember coming in hot with a jump kick to the driver's side window and it flexing instead of breaking and me bouncing back and falling on my rear end. that's how i learned about safety glass. ah, youth. that's kinda counter to what i was just saying about "it's easier than people think", more a response to lumina vs corolla repair difficulty. but yeah every job you complete brings up your confidence bigtime, and eventually you realize it's all just parts and none of it seems like that big a deal anymore. engine swaps seemed like some massive project for experts when i started, all those bits and wow who could understand all that. but when i actually did one the big realization was that it didn't take any more skill than replacing accessories and stuff, just a little more application of it

Heather Papps posted:

little truckupdate i suppose: so, the reason the tailgate is off to replace the handle is because i live in northern ontario. it's loving cold and lovely currently, so in talking repair stuff with my dad i mentioned i planned to just pop the tailgate off and do the fix in the garage, cause, well... it's a garage. that's like, the whole point.

anyways, dads being dads, he decided, before i had ordered the part or even really cared to think about ordering the part, to be a helpful, proactive dude.
when i moved, last month, i was all sick with the flu and my attempts to reinstal the tailgate just for the drive failed. ive taken it off and put it back before, but i unno, my brain and body were under assault.

regardless i have a list of repairs i gotta get to, but i'm thinking i'll just take some pics and pop over to AI and get some good advice. i have heard of farmers running rangers for 500, 000 kilometers, and i'm about halfway there.

replacing the handle is even easier than taking the tailgate off/on man. dads will be dads though and having one that cares about you and wants to help sounds really nice. you can run any vehicle you want as long as you want if you care enough, just at some point it isn't worth it to most people. i'm used to miles but think 275-300,000 out of a decently maintained ranger isn't too crazy. farmers are usually really good at fixing stuff. i love farmers

the tailgate should just go right back on, this might sound obvious but you said you were delirious with fever before: did you have it flat like it's open when you tried to put it back on? that's how it goes on. should just notch one side in and drop in the other but it won't work if you're holding it up and down instead of flat, i have definitely done that before and had a logger give me the most pitying look as he corrected my mistake. if you do take this to ai pls link me, i have taken a personal interest in the proper functioning of your tailgate

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

City of Glompton

hello car thread im interrupting your smart car posting bc i remembered i took a pic of a weird car last year and want to share

Professor of Cats

City of Glompton posted:

hello car thread im interrupting your smart car posting bc i remembered i took a pic of a weird car last year and want to share

hah this is rad

----------------

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I miss the good ole days where everyone had a land boat and fender benders didn't total a car

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

City of Glompton posted:

If you drive this you get to call yourself Captain and perform legal marriages. hopefully one can still obtain a letter of marque and operate as a land privateer.

Heather Papps

hello friend

owlhawk911 posted:

replacing the handle is even easier than taking the tailgate off/on man. dads will be dads though and having one that cares about you and wants to help sounds really nice. you can run any vehicle you want as long as you want if you care enough, just at some point it isn't worth it to most people. i'm used to miles but think 275-300,000 out of a decently maintained ranger isn't too crazy. farmers are usually really good at fixing stuff. i love farmers

the tailgate should just go right back on, this might sound obvious but you said you were delirious with fever before: did you have it flat like it's open when you tried to put it back on? that's how it goes on. should just notch one side in and drop in the other but it won't work if you're holding it up and down instead of flat, i have definitely done that before and had a logger give me the most pitying look as he corrected my mistake. if you do take this to ai pls link me, i have taken a personal interest in the proper functioning of your tailgate

i tried putting in on flat, but now i'm almost certain my father worked it off at an angle. the tounge for the groove on the right hand side was angled in a way that didn't make sense, but i was unable to get it on flat, or raised at the angle that would allow the groove over it. i'm gonna go out tomorrow with a channel lock or something and see if i can twist the thing down towards the bumper.
when i have the time and the weather isn't super lovely i'll take some pics and start a txt file to produce a post more in line with whatever board culture exists there? i've barely checked it out, it's been a busy winter!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

biosterous posted:

i don't poo poo about dick when it comes to cars

but here are some video game cars i like!

sleeping dogs has the velocita, it is the fastest car and handles really well. every time i unlock it i spend some time ignoring all the game content and just cruising on the highway at top speed. here is a video of somebody buying it, driving it like an rear end in a top hat (running over pixelmans) and then driving it into the ocean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_6meQbzHY
the only downside imo is that you can't pop the trunk, meaning you can't get a free tire iron every time you call for your car. it's based on some real car but i don't feel like googling which one

driver: san francisco (aka what if quantum leap but just about driving cars??) has a lot of cars and i think they're all real. they've all got the names of real car companies at least. here is the fastest car, the pagani zonda cinque:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeO7X2hkjlY
it's another car that i like to use to zip around on highways at super high speed. sometimes i go into hyperfocus and all that there is is the cars in front of me that i need to go around while listening to the chill songs on the in-game radio. it's fun

d:sf also has the dykemann dolva r-575, a car-transport truck with a ramp on the back. despite being a transport truck these never have cars on them so you can ramp off of one whenever you see it, which is rad. way funnier though is driving one and getting the cops to chase you, because they will try to ram you from behind and instead launch themselves at high speed. you can also just drive onto one in your car and see where it takes you.

i don't like realism-focused car games because i want to drive at max speed all the time. both of these games are arcade-y enough in the physics to be really fun for me!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

That is one popped Subaru engine

SeaGoatSupreme
I'm not gonna lie, there isn't an h6 I hold in high enough regard to do more for that than a belt sander, gasket maker, and a new head gasket.

I'm a trash goblin with no regard for my older cars though so pls ignore me.

What's your plan for it?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I put a new battery in the car and now I'm to lazy to fix the time on the clock. I mean, it still remembers all my Bluetooth poo poo, why didn't it remember the time?

owlhawk911

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That is one popped Subaru engine

even with an extra cylinder this is a familiar, almost nostalgic sight

biosterous posted:

but here are some video game cars i like!

sleeping dogs has the velocita, it is the fastest car and handles really well. every time i unlock it i spend some time ignoring all the game content and just cruising on the highway at top speed. here is a video of somebody buying it, driving it like an rear end in a top hat (running over pixelmans) and then driving it into the ocean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_6meQbzHY
the only downside imo is that you can't pop the trunk, meaning you can't get a free tire iron every time you call for your car. it's based on some real car but i don't feel like googling which one

driver: san francisco (aka what if quantum leap but just about driving cars??) has a lot of cars and i think they're all real. they've all got the names of real car companies at least. here is the fastest car, the pagani zonda cinque:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeO7X2hkjlY
it's another car that i like to use to zip around on highways at super high speed. sometimes i go into hyperfocus and all that there is is the cars in front of me that i need to go around while listening to the chill songs on the in-game radio. it's fun

d:sf also has the dykemann dolva r-575, a car-transport truck with a ramp on the back. despite being a transport truck these never have cars on them so you can ramp off of one whenever you see it, which is rad. way funnier though is driving one and getting the cops to chase you, because they will try to ram you from behind and instead launch themselves at high speed. you can also just drive onto one in your car and see where it takes you.

i don't like realism-focused car games because i want to drive at max speed all the time. both of these games are arcade-y enough in the physics to be really fun for me!

the first one reminds me of grand theft auto, i've never beaten it but have cruised every inch of the island. we take turns based on deaths but since i always drive around instead of trying to do as much crime as possible the rule is my turn is over when i total a car. it would definitely be improved by ramp trucks driving around everywhere though. have you ever played beam.ng drive? based on one video i saw where someone was launching goofy simulated cars through a loop-de-loop it looks really fun. i would play either of these

owlhawk911

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I put a new battery in the car and now I'm to lazy to fix the time on the clock. I mean, it still remembers all my Bluetooth poo poo, why didn't it remember the time?

that is pretty dumb. who knows really? cars are mysterious

Professor of Cats

Haven't touched beam.ng in a while. I should load that back up!

biosterous

owlhawk911 posted:

beam.ng drive

hadn't heard about it until tonight, and the car-smashing video one steam really made me smile! if someone would take all those fun smashy physics and just slap something on top that says "that was a real good smash, have 100 points" and "wow you earned a lot of points, level up good job!" then that would be a really really good game for me

gallery of sigs

he/him

SeaGoatSupreme

biosterous posted:

hadn't heard about it until tonight, and the car-smashing video one steam really made me smile! if someone would take all those fun smashy physics and just slap something on top that says "that was a real good smash, have 100 points" and "wow you earned a lot of points, level up good job!" then that would be a really really good game for me

There are a couple of burnout games that literally have this mode, and I put way more time into them than the arcade racing of the main game. It's even more fun than you can imagine.

biosterous

yeah, i played a bunch of burnout back on the ps2! lots of fun. the one thing different between that and what i want is i don't want score goals for medals, or to be able to not get enough points to beat a level. i just want to smash pixel cars together while the computer says "ahaha that was great, that was really good, now i will make a number go up to make your lizard brain happy"

gallery of sigs

he/him

Professor of Cats

biosterous posted:

yeah, i played a bunch of burnout back on the ps2! lots of fun. the one thing different between that and what i want is i don't want score goals for medals, or to be able to not get enough points to beat a level. i just want to smash pixel cars together while the computer says "ahaha that was great, that was really good, now i will make a number go up to make your lizard brain happy"

I can relate to this. Anyone else play Flatout? It (was?) more of a rally/demolition style racing game. I remember wasting some time on that as well.

----------------

Turbo Fondant

i drove the bmw this weekend hell yeah

Professor of Cats

Hey owlhawk, here is some "sick laptop tuning" action on the beast. :kingsley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lC2kKWlPjo

It doesn't say "Danger To Manifold" but it should say "danger to everything else" since I'm behind the keyboard. It is my timing map; I haven't dailed it completely in but it basically matches my mech/vacuum advance timings I had on my old setup.

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I love cars but I could never eat a whole one

Professor of Cats

Portion control!

Turbo Fondant

... Actually if you count up all the rust and various fluids I've accidentally consumed over the years I've probably eaten a good portion of a car for real lol

I wonder what percentage of my body is car right now

Turbo Fondant

"fluids I've accidentally consumed" is also the title of the world's most boring sex tape

City of Glompton

lol at the last four posts

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Tetsuo: The Car Man

Professor of Cats

And is it numbers matching? heeeh ::iiaca:

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

"fluids I've accidentally consumed" is also the title of the world's most boring sex tape

"everything you ever wanted to know about accidentally consuming fluids (but were afraid to ask)"

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Maaaaan I have a leaky valve cover gasket on the Grand Marquis that I may as well replace both of while the manifold's off.
But it's cooooold...
But if I don't do it now it's gonna be another 2 weeks...sigh.

Edit: I dropped a wrench and it didn't hit the ground so I called it quits for today. Got one side back on, minus the fasteners, and just need to undo one more lovely bolt to get the other side off. They really don't make it easy. The book wants you to remove the brake booster and AC condenser but LOL NOPE THAT AIN'T HAPPENING

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 16, 2020

owlhawk911

Professor of Cats posted:

Hey owlhawk, here is some "sick laptop tuning" action on the beast. :kingsley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lC2kKWlPjo

It doesn't say "Danger To Manifold" but it should say "danger to everything else" since I'm behind the keyboard. It is my timing map; I haven't dailed it completely in but it basically matches my mech/vacuum advance timings I had on my old setup.

the highlighted square is what it's doing at the moment right? and it also does datalogging? how do you dial it in, can you kinda look at logs and tweak stuff or is that something you need a dyno for? i've heard self-learning ecu's that you just give targets are the cool new thing, do you know much about that?

Achtane posted:

Maaaaan I have a leaky valve cover gasket on the Grand Marquis that I may as well replace both of while the manifold's off.
But it's cooooold...
But if I don't do it now it's gonna be another 2 weeks...sigh.

Edit: I dropped a wrench and it didn't hit the ground so I called it quits for today. Got one side back on, minus the fasteners, and just need to undo one more lovely bolt to get the other side off. They really don't make it easy. The book wants you to remove the brake booster and AC condenser but LOL NOPE THAT AIN'T HAPPENING

:911: what do you mean "maintenance procedure"? removal is the reverse of installation. spark plugs in an econoline are my least favourite example of this

winter is not primo car stuff season, but you gotta do what you gotta do. more than halfway done though! and you'll have a cleaner engine and not waste as much juice, good for you. i considered rescuing this ride a few weeks ago, but 1. don't have tools with me and 2. it's cold af out there

i took more pictures, maybe i will post about it later even though i didn't go through with much. i was able to turn the engine over, and i think it just needs a battery/tires/idler pulley/belt to get moving. someday i may return and honk at those who laughed at the idea of fixing it as i drive by

CAT INTERCEPTOR

My piss is rated 110 octane. Should I stop drinking AVGAS y/n?

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
switch to aqua-cola once in a while unless you're willing to die historic tbh

owlhawk911

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My piss is rated 110 octane. Should I stop drinking AVGAS y/n?

n. hang out at track, piss in tanks for small fee

Professor of Cats

owlhawk911 posted:

the highlighted square is what it's doing at the moment right? and it also does datalogging?

Yep and yep. The 'spotlight' shines the current timing value on a vacuum pressure(y) and RPM(x) chart. Initially, I tried to match it as closely as possible with my original timing curve that took into account vacuum advance. Now I'm just smoothing out the idle a bit.

owlhawk911 posted:

how do you dial it in, can you kinda look at logs and tweak stuff or is that something you need a dyno for?
Dyno helps but you can do the old fashioned track run (or unused road) to get the numbers. Though I'm just dialing it in for cold starts and winter idling for now.

owlhawk911 posted:

i've heard self-learning ecu's that you just give targets are the cool new thing, do you know much about that?
I personally love them; with Holley's setup (and many others), you can tweak (or turn off) the self learning parameters too. Since I'm not an expert, I'll leave all those switches turned on for now until I get comfortable with what the heck I'm doing haha.

----------------

Professor of Cats

So before Teslonda, my buddy built a friggin Steam Car. It's now on Bring A Trailer Auction.

Click the link for a full rundown and a million pictures.

quote:

This six-wheel steam car was designed and built by the seller using a modified 1928 Ford Model A frame and a two-cylinder, double-acting, marine-style steam engine.

----------------

CAT INTERCEPTOR

Professor of Cats posted:

So before Teslonda, my buddy built a friggin Steam Car. It's now on Bring A Trailer Auction.

Click the link for a full rundown and a million pictures.

That poo poo is cool AF

CAT INTERCEPTOR

I BRING THEE NOISE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUASOd5gF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

oh i actually know that car! it's one of the best dirt-track cars in driver: san francisco. it's also incredibly drift-happy - if you even touch the handbrake at moderate speed you're gonna start turning all over the place.

90% of my car knowledge is from driver: sf

gallery of sigs

he/him