Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Ground floor. The southerly on Friday brought with it some of the red centers finest topsoil so I’m trying to clean it off things without using the hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There’s people building a new house a couple of doors up. The noise they manage to generate at 7am on the dot is extraordinary.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

I had this for loving ages as well, except it was less then 5m from my bedroom window. Used to piss me off because they would start at 7am, then stop for the day at like 2:30. Delay it an hour each end fuckos, and let me sleep.

It won’t be an issue for me in a couple of weeks when I’m back at work but I’m on holiday time which means I don’t want to wake up early at all if I can help it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm watching a storm develop and intesify round Bathurst which should hit the mountains in the next hour or so.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

BurgerQuest posted:

bloody blue mountains keeping the rain out of sydney. knock em down i say

If you want a full dam though it needs to rain up here. Storm still hasn't arrived as yet.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Just watched a storm roll in. It visibly accelerated as it got closer and now it’s pissing down.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I went out and checked the rain guage before and we've already managed to get 30mm. It hasn't stopped raining yet and it looks like more is coming from out west. Should do the fires up here a world of good.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
For the first time in a week it’s actually sunny but I doubt it’ll last long cause they’re predicting storms.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Gotta love a storm warning that includes the phrase "giant hail". The radar shows a storm heading towards us but there is no purple in the bit coming so perhaps we will miss the hail.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Looks like the mountains are in for another storm. The thunder has started although it's low and distant atm

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Watching two parcels race each other from melbourne. Ones express the other isn't as it contains hobby paint that can't be flown. Knowing my luck they'll both get delayed and arrive on Tuesday or something stupid

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tardwrangler posted:

Katoomba is coated in dust from yesterday, its loving everywhere

You back up here?
It’s been like that a couple of times over summer and then there was the dust from the ash and smoke. It’s been pretty hosed for summer really.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McSpergin posted:

Hey Malcolm Turnbeug pro suggestion, grow the silky oak. Grow the poo poo big then harvest branches cos the wood is gorgeous for dickheads like me who like to fiddle around with it

Gonna go see a bloke in Yass about some native wood slabs to make myself a table for when I move

Theres a bloke out past Lithgow on the highway that does similar stuff. He can be hard to contact though or so I've heard

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Looked through the list of the hottest 100 people and I don’t recognize many of them at all. I think it’s the first time I haven’t even bothered voting in the first place.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It changed hands along the way so it isn’t the original owners anymore. I’d imagine the menu is still real similar to what I was cooking for them 10+ years ago.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tardwrangler posted:

We've been stuffing our faces for days because thats what the clan does. I found the portions a bit overwhelming but tasty enough. More like well prepared pub food than the insanely tasty microportions at the hydro

Yeah that doesn't surprise me about the Hydro. The people who own it also own Echoes and Lilianfels in Katoomba. They're legit cunts to work for but they nail the food. The portions where always a little hosed size wise at the Avalon and cooking the same thing day in day out got a bit much. I still don't know how anyone managed to finish the large size dijon chicken cause that thing was too much as a small let alone a large. It's a study in massive amounts of carbs which a very rich creamy sauce.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Thunderstorms keep forming to the north of me but they aren't reaching us so it's just humid and gross.

I was looking at past hottest 100's yesterday and I think 2001 to about 2011 is like my prime time of music listening. These days I tend to just listen to spotify in the car rather than the radio.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Survived the first day back at work after the break then spent some time this afternoon cleaning and refilling the birdbaths because it's supposed to be hot for the rest of the week and I don't want to come home to dead birds on my lawn.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Normally I can tell if it's the weekend or not based on Blow's posting but he's confusing things this week. Doping any kind of animal is poo poo teir behaviour whether it extends their life or not.

I refilled all of the birdbaths today so that hopefully I don't end up with flaky magpies on my lawn in the heat tomorrow

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Australian cats apparently don't have the same catnip dirve as cats from other places. Every cat I've ever owned couldn't give a gently caress one way or another even if it's freely available

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It still doesn’t excuse the fact that you drugged an animal that has a brain smaller than a pea who also has no control over their bowels.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It's still 36 outside and the inside of my house is currently 33. Trying to cool the house down is not going well cause I can't even water the garden to get some evaporative cooling going.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Similar here and that's with two portable air conditioners running. It's not supposed to drop below 30 until after midnight so opening everything up when I go to bed isn't going to make much difference. Gonna be Tuesday before the temperature is low enough for everything to start cooling down properly.

We have 2 normal fans and not much else. The workshops at school are gonna be hosed on monday after sitting closed with nothing running all weekend. Normally they stay decently cool but struggle when theres multiple hot days. We aren't allowed aircon either so we rely on fans to do the cooling.

Rock the turban with pride lolie.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Southerly change has finally arrived, thank gently caress. Now to wait for the thunderstorms.

Still waiting for it here and it's hot as gently caress outside. A southerly is going to do insteresting things for the fire that broke containment yesterday and made a run down the mountains.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The southerly has hit and it's pushed all of the smoke towards us. poo poo's gonna go down with the fires now as well

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Looks like a half decent storm is heading our way from Bathurst now

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Getting steady rain here now.

We've had a couple of decent showers come through and it's cooled things beautifully. My fan by the front door is working it's hardest to push the cooler air into the house. The brids have also gone nuts since the rain hit.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

Pissing down here now. You should get it soon.

23 here now.

Nah you guys are getting whatever falls off the mountains. We've had close to 10mm but the decent falls are appearing from Penrith onwards.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McSpergin posted:

I don't even use that much, 1 egg per tablespoon of heavy cream and a shitload of filling. The egg mix is basically just there to bind it all together for me. I use gruyere or other similar cheese in mine, about 80g mixed with that cream and egg mix then another 20 odd grams on top

McSpergin posted:

Also the blind baking is such an underrated thing

My go to Quiche recipe of all time is a blind baked case where I've made the pastry then for the filling it's whatever I've chosen (tinned aspargus, brocolli and bacan, mushroom and bacon or leek and olive) then the egg mix is 6 eggs and 300mL of cream beaten till they're combined. 15 minutes at 200c before turning down to 160 for the remianing 45 minutes.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's similar to the mountains where the wind blows through valleys before hitting sheer cliffs and accelerating. Sometimes the offical wind is far worse than what we experience a few km's down the road because the only weather station in the mountains sits on a super exposed ridge line with nothing but bush and the highway surrounding it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s crazy bc we have a lot of tall skinny trees around here and you can see rows of them blowing in one direction while the other trees are blowing the opposite direction.

Valleys gently caress with the winds pretty badly and it hasn't helped the fires any either. I once made the mistake of going on a walk on a decently windy day. When we reached a cliff line that faced to the south I nearly got blown sideway after stepping in some mud.

Southerly has arrived so I'm expecting the smoke to follow in it's wake.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tardwrangler posted:

Lol Mt Boyce.

"It'd blow a dog of its chain tonight."

I haven't heard that but it makes sense. I do like that the long term climate records still come from the weather station in Katoomba which is once again sitting on top of a ridge but has been running since 1885 which is checked every morning at 9am and no other time.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tardwrangler posted:

Where abouts in Katoomba? Cliff drive?

Nah murri Street down behind the family hotel. The wind comes up the gully round the racetrack pretty good though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tardwrangler posted:

East coast low hangers

What the gently caress weather station in that has measured that much rain? Is it NVJ's coronavirus protection sphere?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Tomorrow is the swimming carnival in the pissing rain that's supposed to hit Sydney. Should be fun for someone I guess.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Think it would've been drier in the pool than out at the swimming carnival today. At least that's that done for the year and the horrible cow I work with didn't come which was even better.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
So far our accumulated rain total is 130mm. Could end up beating the total rainfall for all of last year by the end of today if the predicted rain appears.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
We've got that predicted both today and tomorrow. I'm so glad I don't have anywhere to be cause driving yesterday was pretty terrible in terms of being able to see anything at all.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I emptied the rain gauge when it hit 80mm not long after 6. We now have a blackout but it also covers Katoomba so something big has gone down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Copped 200mm of rain. I had to empty the rain gauge last night cause it already had 80mm in it. Today is already looking like it’ll be more rain.