Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Someone please explain to me who didn't vote for 1917 for best cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

oneforthevine posted:

I’ll be astonished if ...Hollywood wins anything from the Big 8 other than Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor. (And only one of those is near-certain.)

I thought the bookies thought it was in the running for best picture. I'd be happy with that result.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It just isn't...all that interesting to look at. Compare it to the same DP's work on BR2049 and it doesn't come off as very memorable imo

The flare scene looked nice.

The flare scene looking "nice" is a hilarious understatement. I'm fine with the argument 1917 shouldn't win for the sum of the entire movie but yeah, that 2nd half leading up to the tree was a work of art.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
gently caress yeah Parasite. Even though they probably won't win the big one, this is still great.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm ready to drink tonight

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was really, really into Phoenix's speech and going to make a comment about wanting to bone him, until instead of spending more time talking about war,famine,racism,sexism,genocide or poverty, (things that cause billions to suffers or die..) he instead went on and on and veganism, which especially in the 1st world is a pretty privileged lifestyle.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I really hate that hollywood forces women to have way too much plastic surgery on their faces as they hit 40+. Very quickly they turn into unrecognizable blonde beings.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Good for Parasite. Not even my 2nd best movie on that list, but still, a great movie and better than many previous Best Pictures.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Seeing basement husband not covered in blood with a head caved in is weird.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm fine with all the oscars results minus the fact Sandler didn't win one, let alone even get the nom.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Has Taratino not won an oscar yet? Lets hope his last movie is a good one, it would be a serious shame to have one of the best directors of post 90s to finish his career without one.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of, if any of you Parasite fans haven't seen Memories of Murder yet, its an absolute much watch. Much better movie to me than Parasite, and I thought Parasite was fantastic.Its also streaming for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tw66BBdDw

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Android Apocalypse posted:

Tarantino not winning for Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood means he'll get all the awards for his 10th & final film, which could possibly be a letdown compared to his previous films. Kind of like Scorsese getting his Oscar for The Departed or Peter Jackson for Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Departed was really,really good though. I guess you could have qualms with Nicholson's too Nicholsony performance, but its an incredibly good detective/undercover/mob movie.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

If he were 10 years older I might believe it, he'd be about 70 after finishing up the next film so maybe a good time to ride off into the sunset. But yea I have a hard time imagining him sitting around through his entire 60s without directing a single film.

I'd love to see him on a True Detective scale project. 8-10 hours with good production quality and full creative license, with movie caliber actors.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The Departed was basically the Academy giving Scorsese an early lifetime achievement award to make up for ignoring him for the last 30 years prior.

But it was not the best movie that year (Babel , Little Miss Sunshine, and Letters from Iwo Jima were superior)

At the end of the day, The Departed winning isn't a tragedy. It was a very good movie with 1st rate actors and a 1st rate director with a good story. Its not a travesty of a best picture win like Shakespare in Love or Chicago or Braveheart.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 10, 2020

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now that the Awards are over, can we make our lists of what would have won in a better alternate universe?

Best Picture
Once upon a time in Hollywood (nominated, didnt win)

Best Director
Bong Joon Ho (nominated, won)

Best Actor
Sandler (not nominated)

Best Actress
Scarlett Johansenn (nominated, didn't win)

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt (nominated, won)

Best Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates (nominated, didnt win)

Cinematography
Roger Deakins (nominated,won)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Really the only travesty to me was that Uncut Gems got no recognition at all, when it was a good movie, well directed, good soundtrack, and Sandler's best performance of his career.

And Zellwegger winning because she played a hollywood starlet...

Everything else was good movies and good actors winning so its hard to complain too much. Its also great to see non-English speaking movie win best picture.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

is there a clear definition of what makes a "supporting" role? it seemed like Brad Pitt is in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood nearly as much as DiCaprio, I thought of them as co-leads.

I believe the studios choose to tell the awards which actors they want eligible for which award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Prince Myshkin posted:

Thin Red Line, Babe and I guess The Hours maybe would be my picks those years. I don't think any of those are as big a joke as Crash or Green Book though.

What? Babe? Babe.... the pig movie? Am I being whooshed here?

Braveheart's year had Usual Suspects,Leaving Las Vegas,Seven and Apollo 13. Hell, Toy Story was also that year and is a much better kids movie. Those are all remarkably better movies than Babe.