Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Faculty maybe? Can't remember if that exact thing happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Cross posting from the silly questions thread.

Someone already said that sounded like Hell in the Pacific but I seem to remember more than one soldier on each side. Were there any other movies with this plot?
Could it be None but the Brave?

Haven't seen it so I dunno about the specific spring water thing, but it sounds pretty similar.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm completely failing to think of anything specific but for some reason I feel like something like that might have happened in the recent Candyman movie?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

discount cathouse posted:

Here´s something that i once heard:
"This is all like a french movie. In which everyone wears motorcycle helmets. And everything is tinted blue."
Were they talking about Diva?
i dunno about the blue tint, but could this possibly be Daft Punk's Electroma?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Could it be The Signal (2007)? I haven't seen it, just suggesting it because it's fairly low budget, I think I first heard of it on SA around when it came out, and a later movie came out with the same name which maybe made it harder to Google.

I think that's a signal like the Kingsman one that makes people go crazy and fight. Were you thinking more like "turn people into drones" type mind control?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hmmm nope that's a toad, not a frog. must be something else

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

2010s/2020s horror movie starts with a man killing a woman. cuts to another woman, an art dealer (with a scene focused on a statue of the fates that got stolen), getting ready to go on a weekend retreat to the guy's cabin (i feel like he keeps calling it that even though it's a nice house). she's kind of pointedly ignoring red flags on the way (including, i believe, an actual shot of a red flag waving). gets there, starts seeing a blonde ghost who she thinks is a woman trying to break in. guy has the stolen statue but claims it's a reproduction. i think that's enough to go on, but i do remember more that I'd feel obligated to put in spoiler tags which I'm too lazy to do from my phone.

iirc, movie actually has three labeled acts with scene transitions, and definitely uses the fates throughout. younger director, p sure it was an indie flick. go.
google suggests it's A Wounded Fawn (2022)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

movie about a woman whose a game dev being stalked and harassed

think it's european, came out either just before pandemic or just after
Elle, by Paul Verhoeven

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Filox posted:

Cannot for the life of me remember the name of this movie, please help.
Looks like it's called The Reflecting Skin, and it has Viggo Mortensen! Sounds cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Adam Driver lookin like Fred Armisen in that shot lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd like to see a take on that with Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock predicting every move in a boxing match and then just getting absolutely rocked after a single thing goes wrong.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's a pretty common British saying I think, so it might be hard to pin down.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This was a trippy horror movie from only like... 5-8 years ago, I think it was on Netflix.

It's kinda bad and low-budget but something drew me to it. It's about a cursed book (it looked like a kinda cheap necronomicon ripoff) that fucks you up when you read it. Dudes keep being drawn to read it, but I can't remember 100% if it was for Hellraiser-like masochism reasons, just sheer insanity, or if there was some promise of a reward if you could complete the book. I think it opens with a scene of someone stealing the book from a dude who brags about having made it to something like page 17 and acting like that was some insane feat.

The main character of course tries to read it, and from there it has some serious bad acid trip elements. A monster is summoned that I think seemed like a clear metaphor for the main guy being a bad father or something along those lines, and there are repeated instances where he thinks some convoluted series of events has happened only to snap out of it and realize he's still just reading the book.

I feel like it shouldn't be that hard to find but maybe Netflix kinda buried it or something, not sure if it was an original

e: err... poo poo. I guess it must be Residue (2017). I think I may have passed over that name because it's also another movie and a separate TV show and it did not ring any bells at first.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 28, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wayback posted:

I think this was a psychological or horror movie from the 90s, and I'm certain I've seen someone link the clip on the forums before I've defintiely seen a youtube clip of it. The scene in question is where the creepy super pale 'villain?' Is at a social event with the main character and to prove how strange and/or mystical he is tells the main character to call his own house on the phone. When he does, the creepy guy is on the other end at the same time he is still standing next to him and they have a brief conversation while the in-person creep stands there and smiles.

The 'creepy' guy's actor is definitely one that has popped up in some horror movies or show episodes (the X Files comes to mind), very soft spoken and just kind of has this unblinking stare which is perfect for those roles. Been trying to recall something else he has been in to backtrack a name from there, but failing so far.
Lost Highway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wayback posted:

Nailed it, that's been bugging me all day. I aaalmost remembered the clip being called 'mystery man' but kepy going with stranger and creeper. Thanks much.
Lynch is definitely good at burning certain scenes into the memory. Mulholland Drive has at least one that most people will remember for the rest of their lives lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

No, that's not it. The tape is a non-negotiable part of this memory, it was definitely tape put on the eyes. And the shot of the spectators was about enjoying watching it. I think that's why it stuck with me, the technical detail of the tape and the idea of people enjoying watching someone die gave child me an incredibly strong sense that this was something I Shouldn't Be Watching.
I'm struggling with anything specific but I kinda wonder if the Hellraiser movies could've had something like that. Or maybe it was more grounded/realistic?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Theatrically released film from the second half of the ‘90s, genre might have been crime or thriller. There’s a car explosion, but the guy inside the car expands with the explosion, or maybe his expansion causes the explosion. His expansion is like the guy towards the end of Big Trouble in Little China, but it wasn’t presented in a comedic way, from what I remember of the half-minute I saw from sticking my head in while theater-hopping as a kid.
not specifically remembering the car thing, but the effects in that Big Trouble in Little China scene kinda remind me of the extremely bad Double Dragon movie from 1994. Could it have been this guy?

there is a fair amount of car stuff in the movie but hell if I'm gonna go back and watch it again. I think I somehow liked it when I was a kid

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think that show The Strain has UV weapons but I dunno about those particular scenes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The main characters somehow get a look into the brain/mind of another character and it's an insane acid trip, explaining why said character behaves the way they do.

I feel like it's possibly animated, maybe there's a scene like this in South Park with Mel Gibson or Saddam Hussein.
Maybe something from the game Psychonauts? tbh there are kind of a ton of scenes like this

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol. gently caress

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ellie the beep posted:

movie request from my wife who swears it isnt harold and maude but cannot really pin down anything better

seen on late night german television somewhere in the mid-90s to early 2000s at latest, but was definitely post reunification - and shes pretty sure the setting of the movie was contemporary, hence ruling out h&m

features a younger guy somewhere around his twenties getting into a fairly racy or
even explicit relationship with a woman two or three decades his senior.
she's unclear how they come to spend time together, and she has an impression of an exotic, maybe south american maybe french influence but she doesnt know if thats really part of it or if shes mixing up other stuff she watched on late night german television as a teen
Maybe Igby Goes Down? I haven't seen Harold and Maude but it seems like there's definitely some overlap in the themes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ellie the beep posted:

my wife is astonished by the sheer number of guesses that fit very well but of the movies so far mentioned none of them are it ! thematically most of them are there and the timeframe is generally right (excepting class and Angst essen Seele auf) but also most of them have bits that she DEFINITELY doesnt remember (the piano teacher, spank the monkey) and a couple that just dont seem familiar at all (igby goes down, the mother)

but more than anything she's just kinda like... drat, it was kinda in the zeitgeist for a while huh
I was kinda misremembering Igby Goes Down as having a bigger age gap (although it's still a big one), but I was also thinking they seem similar in terms of the main character being a young guy with a rich overbearing mom. Do you think stuff like that is relevant or is the relationship the main thing your wife remembers?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

God of Gamblers (1989) sounds Iike it might be it based on the wikipedia plot summary... Although maybe stuff with special glasses and contacts for this kinda cheating is more common than I realize

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think that's gotta be Sometimes A Great Notion, but I've only read the book

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I haven't seen Lifeforce but could that be it? Wrong time period but I know it involves naked women and spaceships lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The dang wokes keep adding more elements!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hmmmm.... I don't think that's it. I feel like the poster had four ladies on it, wearing that kinda brownish corduroy material.

Seriously - I know how long of a shot this is. I can only vaguely remember certain details about it.
that Harriet Tubman movie, Harriet?