Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mister Speaker posted:

What was that horror movie that came out a year or two ago, that was criticized for plaigarizing House of Leaves? The whole 'the house has impossible and horrifying dimensions' part, anyway. And was it any good? Worth a watch at all?

Do you mean You Should Have Left (2020)?

It was okay. Didn’t love it, but I like the occasional side of Bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think you might be describing Silent Warnings (2003). It's a very inelegant fit but it played pretty widely on the Sci-Fi channel which is why I'm picking it.

Billy Zane AND a supernumerary Baldwin.

Hot drat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Haha thanks. Trying to find a shot where the box was readable was driving me crazy.

I spent like 30 minutes last night finding increasingly high res versions online to try to zoom in on.

Shockingly they don’t want you to do that for free so I gave up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Prince of Darkness is one of my top 3 Carpenters. I love scenarios based on the juxtaposition of a scientific worldview encountering supernatural events.

Also see Nigel Kneale, especially the Stone Tape and Quatermass and the Pit.

Top 3 Carpenters? Daaaaaaaaaamn.

Not contesting your right to your opinion, obviously, but shocked you have it so high. PoD owns, but it’s an incredibly crowded top of a list ; putting it there means knocking out at least one of Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, In the Mouth of Madness, Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China and then you have Starman off to the side being really good but kind of apples to oranges.

PoD is mid-tier Carpenter for me, next to like Christine, which is still much better than the majority of movies but top 3 among his output is high god drat praise.

Which, hey, if that’s your opinion maybe I’m wrong and it’s even better than I thought, I’ll happily give it another day in court, but it’s a monster swing to take.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I definitely have to watch Prince of Darkness now. There's something eerily appealing to me of a plot that starts with "a priest finds the essence of Satan in a vial in some basement."

That poo poo sounds very unsettling, raises a bunch of questions with me, and also sort of reminds me of the games Uninvited and Shadowgate. Tons of vials, tons of basements, tons of demons.

Alan Smithee posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse by me is playing it in August :thunk:

You should really, really check it out.

I'd contend it's not Carpenter's best by a bit, but that's only because Carpenter has a lot of best and it's a hard-fought competition ; it's not like Carpenter ever really phoned something in, and even his less-good (or being honest, even his worse) stuff is still better than the vast majority of the genre.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm sitting here wondering why Big Trouble in Little China isn't getting mentioned so let's correct that.

"China is in the heart, Jack. Wherever I go, she'll be with me."

I mentioned it, cause that movie slaps.

But in general I think it’s because of the same reason that people forget about Starman which is just the genre switch from Carpener’s straight up horror stuff. There’s horror stuff in BTiLC obviously, but it’s got many other distinct qualities too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China, and that's weird, because a) :wtc: and b) it seems extremely like the kind of movie I'd be absolutely down for.

I've also never seen Buckaroo Banzai or The Fifth Element, two other completely bonkers movies.

I should just fix that this week.

It just came on Hulu fyi.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I remember an old animation I saw some decades ago. It was, I think, a segment of a larger film or perhaps a short of some kind, that told the legend of a monster that I think was native american or aboriginal in origin, but I'll be damned if I remember the details. I think the story was being told to some children, and there were accompanying animated drawings on a cave wall. Might have been the wendigo, but maybe I'm confusing that with some other non-english monster name. I remember it being quite creepy as a child.

You don't mean the one about a Bunyip that scarred the poo poo out of me as a kid, do you?

Lots of shots of a dark, wet cave wall and weird semi-abstract monster drawings?

I googled it ages ago and it's nominally called Dot and the Kangaroo (1977), but I was young enough that anything besides the spooky feeling didn't get fully logged in my memory and I couldn't corroborate it with extra details.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Can't recall if this is a movie or a tv show so sorry if wrong place.

Student wants to fail out of class. Get's back a 50 question True/False test with a 0. Teacher says something like, "If you had just guessed randomly you'd still have gotten 50% right, the only way to get a 0 is to know all the answers and choose not to answer correctly" and then changes the 0 to 100.

Driving me crazy because I know I've seen it in the last 2 months and can't for the life of me think what it is.

That’s Into the Spider-Verse for one, but it’s a whole trope.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HookedOnChthonics posted:

??? searching for that gives me a music album and a documentary about a trans fugitive...?

other details:

there's a Dewey Crowe-type minor antagonist who threatens to shoot the main character early on but the main character contemptuously talks his way out of it, then midway through makes good on the threat but is immediately run over in return, then gets toted around with the protagonists in full casts and crutches all the way to the finale shootout

there's a memorable scene where the idiot cousin, who had been strictly instructed not to spend any of the drug money, shows up in brand new extremely flashy cowboy boots and the main character angrily throws them off of a bridge

the good-ol-boy gangster (local politician maybe?) is introduced with a skeet-shooting scene where he kills the pizza delivery driver/drug courier who had the money stolen, telling him to run away in a zig-zag

the gay best friend character is a mechanic and his pristine classic car is the protagonist group's ride for the leadup to the climax; much hay is made of the minor antagonist struggling in and out of the backseat with his casts and crutches

I have absolutely no idea, but if this is a really novel marketing strategy for your movie, it's loving working like a charm.

I wanna watch the absolute poo poo out of whatever this is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

This article is some listicle bullshit, but it’s also got at least a decent selection of Thailand’s cinematic offerings for 2022. Probably in there maybe? Nothing seemed overtly Harold and Maude-y, but it could be a segment in Jai Fuu Story or maybe they edited the trailer for The Anatomy of Time really weird and then also inexplicably put it in front of a movie months after its release. Idk I’m just trying to be vaguely helpful.

On the upside of going through an entire list of Thai films, now I have some loving dope as hell horror movies to look forward to.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I really love Deep Rising because they go all in at every corner. Heavy gore, ridiculously over the top mercenaries, 80s one liners, and the most hyperactive monster cgi imaginable. The DNA for The Mummy is really visible.

Virus is like the toned down version of this in every day. Lower energy, grimmer, grimier, and less fun. That said, one character freaks out and becomes an insane tinkerer so there's that and there's a few moments of conceptual horror that make it worthwhile. At one point a character parlays with the monster which is unique.

I kind of liked Evil Cyborg Donald Sutherland.

Not how he was used in the movie, mind you. But like, conceptually it made me pretty happy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Trying to remember an obscure sci fi movie, it was spoken of in the 2001 book The Horror Movie Survival Guide. All I can remember is 1) It seemed based on environmental issues, 2) It had a scientist somehow get turned into a swarm of unnatural insects/other stuff that might be microscopic, 3) The scientist swarm could swarm people with certain injuries or diseases and heal them, 4) He genetically modified his son to survive in the bad future screwed up enviroment (I think it was a 'ozone's gone, sun is deadly now' thing, and 5) There's a quote from the scientist espousing about himself that begins with "I'm the sneeze."

You mean Habitat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bhJM297v0

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Kong: Skull Island, but its still only two soldiers total. And there is nothing about protecting the water supply. And its mostly a backstory for a supporting character. Also, I feel like you'd remember the giant ape.

Pretty sure this isn't your movie.

Yeah but John C Reilly can paper over a lot of problems like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I thought it was season 2 as well but it turned out to be season 1 episode 1

Robbery scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBwpJPnOmk

"Leave town" scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTgLdMb24bE

E: just in case someone was unfamiliar with the show that second clip is :nws: for gratuitous and extended Tom Waits soundtrack

They could have at least used like Filipino Box Spring Hog or Heart Attack and Vine or hell even 16 Shells from a .30-06.

Hell Broke Luce is not A-tier Waits.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Call and raise, sir.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

a movie (possibly TV show?) from the 2000s/2010s, where a guy starts dating an overweight/"unnattractive" woman, and the relationship goes well but he hides it from his coworkers/friends. Eventually she discovers this and becomes violent (I cant remember whether it was towards him or towards herself?)

I can remember the female characters face but cant identify her bc I cant remember her name or what else shes been in

I didn’t know someone leaked my fan-edit of Shallow Hal. Huh

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Was browsing Instagram the other day, and as I closed it, I briefly saw something that looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. Don't know if it's even from a movie. Could be a TV show or even an ad. It was a screenshot of a doctor examining someone's mouth with a tongue depressor, but the shot is from inside the mouth, with the mouth being a clearly oversized prop for perspective.

That’s in like every single horror or horror-adjacent thing with a dentist, which are more common than you think. It’s an obvious and really cool shot to do.

To add to the list, there’s one in The Dentist (natch) and of all things, Sam Raimi’s Crimewave.

poo poo I think it’s in the rightly forgotten Matthew Perry vehicle The Whole Nine Yards (the original Bruce Willis Sleeps Through It Movie).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Y’all know that Torquemada isn’t the OP, right? He said it can’t be The Manchurian Candidate because he actually read the request which said it was from the 80’s.

It was like four posts up. This isn’t exactly a feat of reading comprehension.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thank you and I hope we all learned something today.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Tell him I don't have an answer but I loved him in the last Hitman movie :v:

Real talk, what is up with that dude’s career.

He’s good but absolutely no rhyme or reason to what he does.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

What’s the movie that isn’t Shallow Grave that starts with a shot from the POV of a voyeur looking through a first floor dorm window. The camera then tracks right to another window, and then right again to another window. In all of the rooms there are college girls having casual scantily clad fun.

I know Shallow Grave starts with that but there’s another movie that starts the exact same loving way and it’s driving me crazy.

About half of the horror movies with the words “sorority” or “slumber party” in the title have this shot and “male gaze murder” was a biiiiig chunk of lovely horror movies for every year in which VHS was a common technology.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Anybody know which movie the below still is from? From a promo for an upcoming Giallo rep series. Movies they're showing:

ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK
NO ONE HEARD THE SCREAM
SO SWEET... SO PERVERSE
TIGHTROPE
A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN

Could it be A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971)?

Is that the joke?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Was my first guess but could just as easily be All The Colors of the Dark!

Looks like it is Lizard though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PT0UqpxwWc

It doesn’t help that gialli, while being beautiful, also have some pretty repetitive imagery.

“O a close up of a woman’s face? Hmmm. Well combined with that shot of a leather gloved hand holding a knife and everyone smoking…. I think this might be an Italian film made somewhere between 1965 and last week…”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sir that sounds like the 1980 Shogun miniseries movie thing that was in partnership with Toho, hence having good fights and a bunch of great Japanese actors, but they’re from generations ago.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Something like it in Hugh Laurie's novel The Gun Seller - not a movie obviously, but I recall mixups of that nature happening in these ID threads before. :)

poo poo that was a good book.

Hugh Laurie is one of those dudes who does like 15 different things better than I can do anything and it’s just demoralizing how he seems to act like that’s normal. “Doot doo doo, just being a great actor and comedian…. Guess I’ll direct some stuff too, write a cute little spy thriller, make some jazz albums, date Emma Thompson…”

If I found out he’s fluent in Classical Arabic and just translated some new work of impressive scholarship, I’d just go along with that too.

Bastard.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

And Garabaldi on Babylon 5 restored a motorcycle and loved Daffy Duck. And Ivanova loved reading Harlan Ellison, or at least read some Harlan Ellison.

And they had that window based on goatse.

Yeah but I don’t think liking Ellison was to have a connection to the 20th century audience considering he was friends with the showrunner (who now runs his estate) and was heavily involved in the writing of the show, albeit most often in weird uncredited ways.

Like it’s a 20th century century reference sure, but it’s because the dude was in the room at the time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Possibly being the most abrasive person to ever live was not the best way to be remembered as a writer.

Also the bit in his most famous story where the black guy has a huge deformed monkey dick.

Look, as someone who kind of likes Ellison, there’s a lot to not like about him. Mostly him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I can understand huge and/or deformed, but how is a monkey dick fundamentally different from a human dick?

He's not actually a monkey, he's just a kind of artificial ape-being made by a sentient AI as a cruel, vindictive joke.

I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream is a hell of a read.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Almost certainly not but Bram Stoker's Dracula has fun with aggressive shadows that would retreat to kindly Gary Oldman

loving first time I’ve ever seen him called that lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Trying to remember a Sinbad-type film where the evil wizard/vizier guy has his heart in a jar guarded by a giant mummified hand .

Captain Sinbad, 1963 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Sindbad

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thinking of a scene where a character gleefully describes the process of mummification to others, specifically the bits about using a hook to pull the brains through their noses. Everyone is really grossed out.

My partner thought this was maybe from an Indiana Jones movie but I’ve watched them all recently and it doesn’t happen in them. I also don’t think it’s The Mummy or any other mummy movie. Ring any bells?

The Mummy (1999)? Rachel Weisz does that while they’re futzing around at Hamunaptra, and that would deffo give you Indiana Jones vibes.

God The Mummy loving rules.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for what I think is a b-list vampire movie or made-for-tv movie from the 90's or early 2000's, I never saw the whole film and only remember this fragment. A female vampire is captured and detained by a group of young black gangsters allied with the protagonist. While the captors are aware of what will happen if they're bit, she taunts them into having sex with her, believing that they won't be harmed by the act. Later, when they are transporting her in a limo to another location, they spontaneously turn into her zombie thralls.

That's Modern Vampires (1998).

Surprisingly emotional performance by Craig Ferguson of all people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Casper Van Dien? Natasha Lyonne?

this is the most late 90s movie I've never heard of

It is profoundly late 90's, yeah. It doesn't reference Vampire : The Masquerade but it might as well.

I haven't watched it in 20-something years so it might have aged terribly, but at the time I thought it was at least amusing in its schlockiness.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's from the Lexx episode S04E04 "Stan Down", I've timestamped it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BDGlzaZ_Dc&t=1180s

https://i.imgur.com/6MjbB3Q.mp4

That show wasn't perfect, but gently caress me if it wasn't amazing how they'd constantly take the biggest, weirdest swing whenever they could.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I’ll thank you not to discuss my posting

did you say something

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s not that one with Christian Bale and Steve Zahn, is it? Rescue Dawn, the Herzog one. I vaguely remember an exchange like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I remember they did that on Dinosaurs.

But I feel you would have mentioned that everyone was dinosaurs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Barry Lyndon? There’s the part where he deserts and has to move through Prussian lines.

Everyone always forgets about the 7 Years War. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I don't like to second guess but are you 100% sure it's not Three Days of the Condor? Because there absolutely is a scene like you're describing in it:

Yeah, I was also gonna hesitantly say this. I rewatched it recently and a scene exactly as you describe is the climax.

Are you sure it’s not 3 Days of the Condor?