Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would have seen this on TV in the 80s. There's a chase scene with two people in a flat-nosed semi. When the bad guys catch up and things get hot, they either climb or drop down in a compartment under the cab. Seconds later they emerge from under the cab in a sleek flat sports car that's been hidden as part of the truck.

I'm not 100% sure of the following: the bad guys were on bikes, the chase happened in a forest or jungle area, and the sports car was red and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna say that's very probably it! It's way different in my head, but how many movies are gonna have done this exact gag? Plus we're talking about 30 year old preschooler memories here.

Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wayne's World comes to mind immediately, but I've got a feeling some other movie aped it more the way you say, too.

Also a late episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus where one character shops for endings and tries different ones, finishing on "perhaps just cut to black?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

Doesn’t it happen in one of the Austin powers movies? Or Loaded Weapon 1? I feel like it’s a spoof thing.
I kind of picture Nick Frost or Simon Pegg doing it now, but I don't think it's from Hot Fuzz either, which would have been my first guess, or indeed from any of the Cornetto trilogy which would've been my second.

Spaced, maybe?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Seems like that would be the entire opposite of that scene

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

First one's Conan the Barbarian.

e: second one: Atlantis, the Lost Continent, if we can trust google image search.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't want to say it's not a promising lead, but that kind of shapeshifting duel is also pretty firmly entrenched in folklore and probably pops up in a lot of places.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

holy poo poo that guy was in the New York Dolls

Tangentially related question: was that the movie that spawned the "musclebound he-man media star has to deal with children" subgenre, or is there something earlier? So far I've got a list of Mr. Nanny, Kindergarten Cop, The Pacifier, Tooth Fairy and My Spy, and could organize the worst cinematic retrospective in history.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm actually running into trouble attempting to sharply define the subgenre, cause I'm really about the specific idea of these movies starring an established masculinity icon who isn't primarily an actor. But that kinda falls apart with The Pacifier cause Vin Diesel is primarily an actor rather than a wrestler or bodybuilder. At the same time, while there's a definite genre of "manly men thrown into taking care of kids", which Three Men And A Baby and Mr. Mom definitely fall under, I still instinctively feel that there is a specific subgenre of "manly men you already know as manliness icons thrown into taking care of kids".

Of course, then you get into thinking about by what virtues a manliness icon is actually defined in each era of popular media - can you really discount Tom Selleck because he isn't a sports star - and long story short I think there might be an actual media/gender studies thesis in there.

(With the general theme of these movies being "(traditionally) masculine man has to take on (traditionally) feminine qualities" I don't think we can discount Mrs. Doubtfire as a particularly overt example.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was 100% ready to suggest the one Spiderman film that had the Lizard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's Olle Hexe, a German kids' movie from 1991. Wikipedia tells me it's on youtube in full.

e: kinda beats me how you don't remember the horse just having gaping flesh wounds where its eyes should be. yes I did say kids' movie

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 29, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know about this before, but if you search for Orson Welles in imdb you get a keyword suggestion distinguishing Orson Welles the person from Orson Welles the character in other works: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=orson-welles-character

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Someone do an edit where the appreciative lady is replaced by those Vince McMahon takes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Loaded Weapon definitely had a Basic Instinct spoof scene, don't especially remember that bit but I think I only ever saw an edited version.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a scene in the comic Preacher that has almost exactly that line. Maybe you've read it and misremember it as a movie, or maybe the line made it into the show if you've seen that?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Glad to be of service! :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I got another one, old movie I think black and white. The opening scene is a man in an upstairs office and he’s on a rolling / swivel chair. He’s like really good at office work and he’s spinning himself around and pushing himself across the room slamming cabinets and filing lots of files and just being really efficient at his job. I think he might be smoking too idk. It would have taken a lot of practice to pull the scene off. Does that ring a bell for anyone
Not immediately but was it like, early 20th century/1920s silent movie black and white? The star going through this well-rehearsed routine in one unbroken shot?

Kinda sounds like something Buster Keaton might have done but it was probably just the style of the time and I'm pulling the first name that comes to mind. There probably were a lot of people doing routines like that at the time. Plus Keaton would have gone out one window with the chair and back in another and I feel like you would have mentioned

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That reminds me of Kill Bill, but it's a woman requesting the sword.
Still a valuable hint, cause in that case that's probably wholesale lifted from whatever movie it really is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Is this Scott Pilgrim? I can't picture the scene exactly, but Scott disentangling himself from Knives while she freaks out and gushes feels like a thing that happens.
Haven't seen it in a good while but enough times that I don't think it does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh, looking it up, it’s based on the Goatman thing, so I was a bit right!
which Goatman thing

cause now I'm imagining a world where instead of Slenderman it was goatse that filtered out from the forum into public consciousness and horror pop culture and the potential results are both disturbing and highly entertaining

e: "before you die you see the ring"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Demilich posted:

This is going to be a weird one.
When I was a tiny Demilich in the early 90's, I remember seeing a horrific scene on my grandpa's television.

The scene took place in a hospital, with two people side by side in the room each laying in their respective hospital beds. The camera zooms in on one of the individuals whose mouth opens and this kind of long/gross creature slowly crawls out of the person's mouth. This long creature then reaches across the gap between the beds with its body, and then crawls up and enters the other patients mouth and continues on down the person's throat until it was fully inside the patient.

Anyone have any guesses what this might be from?
I feel like this happens in Jason Goes To Hell.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

is it any good? John Carpenter, 80s, guys from Big Trouble and other notable horror movie peoples....sounds promising
It's kind of all over the place thematically, but in a good way! Definitely a product of its time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I need a complete list of every movie featuring a scene where someone smuggles a gun somewhere in pieces and then assembles it
Something like it in Hugh Laurie's novel The Gun Seller - not a movie obviously, but I recall mixups of that nature happening in these ID threads before. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This randomly reminds me of something.... Did TNG ever have them go back in history to something that hadn't happened in or before 20th century Earth history? The show takes place in, what, the 2200's? They're exploring the universe, and yet, time after time, there's a holodeck outing involving history that happened on earth, centuries before Jean Luc was born.
Very technically but also in the very first episode, when Q puts the crew on trial in a World War III era courtroom and takes on the appearance of a drug-controlled soldier.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

In the late 80s/early 90s, there was an interesting European TV movie concept. It was wo versions of the same story, one from the pov of a male character, the other female. It was broadcast simultaneously across two different channels, and you could switch between them to be your own editor.
Most likely Mörderische Entscheidung from 1991 on German TV. I remember the concept being a big deal at the time and people were anticipating it. I never even thought of it since then until you triggered the memory :v:

e: they did broadcast it in other countries the same way, it looks like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh mean please watch Lost Highway without looking up more than you already know :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone know of a movie with Richard Gere where he plays a finance person that is not Arbitrage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty woman?
I suppose!

We'll never know, a library patron was looking for it but had only a vague idea themselves. Thanks though!