Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A movie I saw sometime between 1978 and 1983, which seemed completely impenetrable to me as a child. The only thing I remember about it was a scene at what I assume was the end. A group of figures in dark robes stand in a circle in a large dark (round?) room, and discuss something ominously, then Earth (or a planet that looks like it) explodes. I remember it chiefly for how unsettling and abrupt the end was, because nothing stood out about the rest of it. The people may have been standing around a table, or altar, or plinth doohickey.

I saw this on a screen with a projector at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Twitch posted:

This might be Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

I remember that one quite well, I don’t think it’s that. There was a very definite ‘planet being destroyed’ shot rather than a ‘single nuke fade to white’ explosion. Also the whole thing was very subdued and weirdly talky in a way the Apes movies aren’t. The guys in robes were like gods maybe, or beings who run the universe or something?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

This has a significantly different vibe, more Hammer Films-ish. Mine falls somewhere between ‘Planet of the Apes’ and ‘Battlestar Galactica’ in terms of tone, a very late-60’s to late-70’s US sci fi feel.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That was presented as a factual show, leading to outbreaks of hysteria and ptsd, and allegedly causing at least one suicide.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I remember some more details. The male lead might have another love interest that he prefers for most of the movie. The movie ends at a national park or some other nice outdoor setting.

Some of this fits one of my favourite films, What’s Up Doc. Ryan O’Neal is engaged to Madeline Kahn for about half the movie, then leaves her for Barbara Steisand. She plays a pain in the rear end, and he’s constantly annoyed by her for most of the first half. The only thing that doesn’t fit is the park: the film ends with an almost unparalleled car chase through San Fransisco, including a very famous pane of glass scene and also a Chinese dragon, which I’m sure you’d remember.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

It’s a laugh a minute!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I find that story almost as hard to swallow as this potage au geleé

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Light Gun Man posted:

stab in the dark but maybe The Night Porter?

Before the advent of the internet, Charlotte Rampling was certainly in my ‘top three women I’d stay up to watch in movies on the chance I’d get to see them naked’. This is a good movie for that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is this Stealing Beauty?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Seen it, barely made an impression. Pretty people sitting round a pool is like 50% of the movie.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My first was ‘The Exterminator’ (1980) maybe the year after release, very early 80’s anyway. Guy is beheaded tied to a stake, in I guess Vietnam.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Looking for a vaguely anarchic parody comedy from the 80’s about a high-school reunion menaced by a serial killer. Had a kind of ‘Porky’s’ vibe to it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ape Agitator posted:

The go-to school slasher parody is Cutting Class but I don't think it's a reunion. But all of the actors are old playing as kids so maybe it might still work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iQi-2ZL9w

I don’t think this is it. This looks too late in the 80’s and not zany enough to me. The movie I’m thinking of has some slapstick elements to it, and is definitely more of a comedy, almost National Lampoon style.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Davros1 posted:

National Lampoon's Class Reunion

Bingo! (I even said NL and forgot they even made this one, d’oh)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just have this one:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
‘poo poo on me’ is Robocop, the store robber.
edit: nope, he’s more of a ’gently caress me’ guy.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 9, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

artsy fartsy posted:

Some action/adventure movie I saw as a kid (so 80s or 90s) where the villain had a metal plate in his head (from an accident, I think) and would sometimes grab his head in pain and groan "The pressure! The pressure!"

IIRC it was not a serious movie, and I didn't like it, but ol' metal head has stuck with me throughout the years.

This is a throwback to William Bendix in ‘The Blue Dahlia’ who also clutches his head like this for the same reason, but with extra bonus racism.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

It's Vince Vaughn from Swingers. "I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie..."

Edit: This is right before he get's Nikki's number at the bar. (Dresden?)

It’s this, for sure.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Heavy Metal posted:

Tom Jane is beyond A list, he's AAA list.

I like him but he’s what now

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Easy. Kiss Of Death. 1947, Richard Widmark as Tommy Udo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In fact:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sounds like Morgan?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Wild stab in the dark: History of the World Part 1?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yo homie, is that my briefcase? It’s definitely Collateral.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Brandon Lee bats aside a knife in The Crow.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Origami Dali posted:

Sounds like Peter Greenaway's "The Falls".

It’s almost certainly this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wet Tie Affair posted:

Posting on behalf of a non-member, who is trying to track this one down. Here is all they remember: There are three young siblings living on their own after they are orphaned. They are developmentally stunted, and there is a scene where the oldest runs into other "normal" teenagers and doesn't know how to interact with them. The movie is definitely European, and most likely from a Scandinavian country and is between 20-30 years old.

I tried to find it but came up with next to nothing.

The first thing that came to mind was The Cement Garden, but it’s probably not this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t think you see the specifics of Waingro murdering the hooker in Heat, and it definitely takes place in a cheap motel room. Rising Sun features the murder of Tatjiana Patitz, an exceptionally white supermodel; although the crime scene does fit the description, as does the ‘they’re loving… oh welp, that escalated quickly’ nature of the encounter.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It happens in the Kung Fu tv series, that’s from the 70’s.
e: not a fan of TV Tropes, but apparently it’s the first entry.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Danny Glover uses one in Lethal Weapon 2.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TerraCat posted:

He uses a nail gun, "nailed em both."

Goddamnit, thanks.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Easy, Way Of The Gun.
so easy I was e:fb

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To be honest the first guy I thought of was the dude who played Harry from Total Recall but he's not thin and also no one could forget that guy! "OH YEAH! RECALL, RE-CALL, REE-CAALL!!!!!"

Also was Scarface’s boss when he was a dishwasher.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Do you associate the film with a feeling of desolation and ineffable sadness at man’s inhumanity to man?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only goatman I know just changes one specific shape.

The Ring.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

This thing definitely happens in a scene in The Hidden from 1987 (good film that's otherwise more fun than horrific) - not sure it matches shot for shot, but that could just be how childhood memory works

This was my first thought too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

escapegoat posted:

Scene from what I think was a 60's/70's sci-fi movie I remember my dad watching when I was a kid.

A woman lying on a table in a laboratory restrained by curved metal bars. I seem to recall her being nude but possibly she was in her underwear, she isn't wearing much at any rate. She's quite relaxed, and is filing her nails while chatting with some scientist guy who is milling about the lab. Eventually they both need to leave, and she has to remind him to take the bars off her so she can get up. She puts on a dress or gown and in the next scene runs into a woman who looks exactly like her.

This scene has stuck with me for...reasons.

Coma?

e: The longer i think about it the more positive I am it’s Coma (1979) directed by Mr Jurassic Park/Andromeda Strain himself.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 1, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ChocNitty posted:

I think it's from a movie. I remember a guy singing Rod Stewarts "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?", with a heavy Chinese accent.

I’m almost positive it’s from the tv show Big Train. The sketch is here, but the Rod Stewart bit is just before this clip starts (I think).

https://youtu.be/uNBOknvbPL8

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dammit, now I think he was maybe singing Hot Legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

regulargonzalez posted:

I think I just wanted to be the guy who played a video game SO WELL he got to go to space.

I saw this on original release in the 80’s when this seemed like a likely career path. Most of the generation-x ennui and grumpiness stems from being misled about stuff like this.