Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's the new year, so don't you think it is a bout time for a new general chat thread? A new spring of renewal is in the air. Britain might finally leave the face of the earth behind in January. it's an election year in the States where America will decide yet again if they want a dime store level wannabe supervillain to be their president, Australia is on fire and could probably use your help just in case you wanted to a be a hero in your own way, and comic books keep on comic booking.
Anyway, as an ice breaker for this thread, let's play a game. You know how people talk about their desert island disks (ie music they would want on an island with them if they were abandoned to isolation). Well being the comic nerds we are, what are your top 2 desert island comics? The top 2 comics (be them graphic novel, trade paperback or single issue) that you would want on an island with you that you would read over and over again; and also why did you pick those two comics? Of course I haven't given this much thought myself, but I will come up with an answer eventually! Anyway, onwards and upwards New Thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

I was very much looking forward to the 1 year anniversary post for the quarterly thread and you ruined it

It's what I do.

As to the the question I asked: I was thinking about it and what my fave comics were growing up that I have a special attachment too and I decided on the following two:

Sandman #54 Honestly I would probably love to have the whole Sandman run as I can re-read that over and over again, but for some reason the Prez story stands out as my all time favourite (Seasons of Mist being my favourite arc though). I guess I could take the whole collection of Worlds End but I just need the Prez story. What I love about the story is the idea of hope and the search for something better. Prez's story is fantastical in a way, but the ending where he forgoes death to search for an "ideal America" (America can be substituted for anything here really) is just beautiful. If I was stuck on an island and feeling kind of down this is the story I would read to pick up my spirit.

Batman: Blades this an arc that I love way more than I should. Maybe I read it at just the point in my life where the hormones were really kicking in (and puberty just made everything seem much more intense or something) but this arc always seemed so....romantic? I don't know. It does contain the z-list character the Cavalier, reimagined by James Robinson with beautiful lush art by Tim Sale. The story tells a tragic love story about the Cavalier acting as both hero and villain (for love, damnit) and has some great Batman moments. I guess the real reason I would want this on my island is just so I can look at the beautiful Sale art over and over again. Sale manages to create a great "noir-ish" vibe that really left an impression on my taste of styles.

Bonus comic: Daytripper One of my all time favourite comics. The Brothers Ba give a story about, life, love, death, mortality, family and more. The premise being the life of obituary writer who "dies" at the end of each chapter of his life. This isn't a true death and it is done more in a magical realism way where each chapter begins without the death of the previous chapter being acknowledged (basically treating the deaths more as a question of "what would it have meant if he died now at that stage in his life). The issues are presented non-chronologically and explores everything from his childhood, adolescence, old age etc. The comic beautifully shows the chaotic, wonderful, strange and mundane things that happen in everyone's life and how everything is connected in who we are and who we become. If there is one (well another) comic I could read over and over again it would be this one, and it would be this one that would let me ponder my existence on a desert island with a sense of wonder.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I kind of wish you hadn't posted this new thread since I told myself that if the chat thread gets refreshed I'd do another really stupid big reading project of an infamous, superlong comic. Go I guess I'm starting that tonight.

For a series that was at its absolute best in those one issue short stories, that one stands head and shoulders above the rest. There's something magical about Gaiman redeeming Prez as a character, too...

Speaking of superlong (but not infamous runs) I just started rereading the Ostrander Spectre trades (only 2 of them because DC sucks at trades and I hate them and I just want the whole run to be collected) and I am reminding myself how amazing the run is and how great the art is and how Mandrake should be talked about when it comes to horror artists but isn't. I was also wondering about the other Spectre runs and how those hold up. I looked up his wiki and he had a very spotty solo run with titles starting and ending fairly quickly outside the Ostrander run. I was wondering if these short lived runs were decent or not. I saw that Aparo did artwork in one of the runs, and Moench even wrote some Spectre comics.
I also thought that if there ever was a DC character that would work in a police procedural tv show Spectre would be a good candidate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

The stories are garbage but the art rules. :colbert:

I’ve been picking up those early image books for the last year or so and have about a long box of it. Savage Dragon holds up, Spawn is interesting, Rob’s stuff is for looking at only.

I still hold that the first 50 issues of Spawn ranged from mediocre to be pretty good. The early issues felt less connected, what with the different writers and all, but the mid teens for the next 20 issues were fun enough. By the time it got to the 50th issue it was going to be a good time to end, and it seemed like the story at a natural ending point there filled with redemption and whatnot, but nope....

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird question but all these Extreme Studio comics reviews makes me wonder: who owns these characters? Wasn't the whole point of of Image that the people writing and doing the art owns everything, but the above reviews make it sounds like Liefelds contributions weren't that much, so do the artists and writers own a share in the comics or does Liefelds own it all?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about selling comics I am also thinking of downsizing and thinking of taking my stuff to my LCBS. The guy there told me to make a list for him and he will tell me what he wants. I know I will probably get a bit ripped off and such, but it would still be nice to know if I am not getting to ripped off. Does anyone know a good site to use to see an approximation on price? I know "use eBay is barameter" is generally recommended but whenever I look up prices for what I have I notice quite a huge disparity on prices.
I generally donate my old comics but I figure if I can make some scratch with a few of my more prized comics I might as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

I mostly use magazine folders on top of my shelves (for what I keep in the house at least, I also have long and short boxes in a storage locker), but wouldn't mind upgrading.

e: Binders is an interesting approach. I may consider that.

Those piss me off due to my own stupidity. The library I work at got rid of a good chunk of those ages ago and I should have swooped in grabbed the bunch for my place but instead i just let them go in the garbage. I regret that decision every year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Does that old paper even exist anymore in the quantities that made it cheaper? I feel like the death of the newspaper may have killed that along with the pulp mills.

DC did Wednesday Comics with that old paper a few years back. They could still do it if they wanted to, but probably don't see a reason to use that paper anymore outside of special projects.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea all those Marvel artists basically broke away from the "house style" to be more dynamic, while still maintaining a a superhero ideal. For me Jim Lee is probably the most platonic ideal of a comic book artists. His men are muscular and strong, his women are beautiful but look like they could still knock you out. Liefeld's artwork is wonky as poo poo, but comparing it to what came before it felt more compelling. It's kind of like comparing a Michael Bay movie to an 80's action movie. Sure the Bay stuff might not be your cup of tea, but it is loud and explosion packed and gets the job done.

Also it always blows my mind in the way that freaking Image overtook Vertigo in the to go to place for creator owned weird non-superhero stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Brian Stelfreezez he who did awesome Shadow of the Bat covers, numerous books with great interior art, and a great Batman Black and White short story.

Denys Cowan, he who did an amazing run on the Question with Denny O Neil.

ChrissCross (not the band) who did an okayish I guess run of Firestorm.

Speaking of Black History Month, has there ever been a resolution about what is going on with Milestone, or is it still tied up in a bunch of legal stuff?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Now would be a good time to tell everyone in the thread to read Inconegro if they haven't yet. It's a story about a white passing black man who uses his appearance to get into some white only groups and expose them. The first story is pretty much a murder mystery taking place in 1920's deep south. Check it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has anyone seen King and Taylor in the same room at the same time?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Random Stranger: reading your reviews makes me think that I would have loved the poo poo out of the books back when I was a 13 year old kid. Something about superhero teams with ill defined personalities and explodey powers being all action packed and poo poo. I feel some kind of nostalgia through the reviews even though I have never read these books. Hell, it reminds me of characters I made up as a kid as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has there been any news in Saga returning? I thought the book was going on a 1 year hiatus but it definitely feels like it has been way longer than that. Has Apples or BKV even talked about the book in the last year?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Welp I know what I'm hitting up next on Amazon. Comics are going to be taking a back seat for a while. I have to see how this turns out.

https://twitter.com/lordbeef/status/1233205767517270016

Well I know that I want to find out what the hell was a time travelling dog doing at 9/11.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You know that old question "if you could go back in time would you kill Hitler?" Well we know what that dog would have done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

It's important to remember a key part of this time traveling rescue dog's backstory is that it failed search and rescue training, it's basically this dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND63UPelkIw

that's showing up at Pearl Harbor and 9/11. It'll lick the face of some guy trapped under a bunch of rubble then go chase a squirrel without telling anyone the guy is trapped.

"What's that Lassie? Timmy is perfectly okay and having fun. Guess I won't need to worry about that kid for a few more hours"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey Random Stranger, if you are looking for a new deep dive once you are done Liefeld's stuff I would be curious to hear your thoughts on Spawn and its various spin offs (Curse of the Spawn, Sam and Twitch, that one where Spawn was Vlad the Impaler living in modern day America).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Valiant just bailed out of ECCC and it sounds like the con is going to be a ghost town in general. I think they're all realizing that there's a certain type of nerd who doesn't give a poo poo about getting other people sick.

DC pulled out too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

You should totally do a read through of Impact! Comics at some point. It's less than 90 total books I believe.

I second this. I loved those comics as a young kid. The Comet was awesome and I thought Black Hood was a cool concept.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember the art being very "house style" but the comics were just pure comicy booky fun. A few years back I tried to get all the Comet issues and except for about 5 I mostly did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't really want to get into details but if you have a dad who you love very much call him up and tell him so. It will probably make his day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked the first season though it did suffer from heavy padding due to making it 20 whatever episodes. From what I heard season 2 was right around the writers strike so it had that going against it, and it never recovered.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a question for all you. Pre Arrow what were the good hero style shows? I never really watched Smallville but I always heard that it was pretty dire. The animated shows were always great but what about live action.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

If you don't think that the "Ash/Ripley suiting up" sequences doesn't have a bit of magic in them I don't know what to tell you.

It's all about the close ups.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey How Wonderful (and anyone else really). One of the instructors at the college I work at is putting together an English course and....well I will let him describe it"

quote:

That's very nice of you. Thank you! Actually, I'm preparing for the new English (Writing Across the Disciplines) course, and I'm trying to find scholarly articles about the superhero genre that are NOT written by English instructors. I keep trying to find material by historians or sociologists. I chose superheroes because the course could be insanely boring unless we at least had a fun topic.

and I am wondering if you have any recommendations. We have quite a few books on the subject at the college but I am drawing a blank in relation to any scholarly articles. If you have some recommendations let me know. Cheers

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

You know how in a disaster movie they always have some mentally unstable homeless man or religious fanatic at the beginning picketing with a doomsday sign? I just saw that for real for the first time in my life. And it wasn't some ironic teenager bored and out of school. This was a grown rear end man. On a semi busy street pretty too.

I have been to downtown Seattle a few times over the years for ECCC and every year I see at least 2 or 3 per day. I always wondered if they got into fights with each other about how the world would end.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well my dad picked a great time to get cancer and possibly need chemo :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks. He is meeting the oncologist next week. They removed a few lymph nodes and only one came back cancerous so we are hopeful in that regard. Him and my mom are taking it in stride though and are just going about enjoying their days with walks. It kind of sucks though because of their age and health status my brothers and I are self quarantine ourselves from them ATM.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have been working at home for the last week or so (not sure how long that will last because technically I am working someone else's job) but I have been doing some re-reads. Reread X-Men: Legacy, currently rereading Major Bummer, and I think after this I will either tackle Waid's Daredevil or Morrison's Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

My brother used to love Asterix and he is getting my five year old niece into them now. She is an Obelix fan apparently.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Breyfogle is my number one underrated Batman artist. Dudes use of angles and motion were unparalleled.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Everyone please be safe and exercise good judgement.

I have likely been exposed via a coworker. I'm not panicking, I'm very healthy and in good shape these days. I have no pre existing conditions that would make me more likely to be more vulnerable. I don't even know if I have been exposed but I spent the afternoon calling and messaging my family to keep them informed and warn them if I'd seen them recently.

Please be safe. Wash your hands, stay at home.

Stay safe and remember to socially distance yourself but posting on this forum to let us know how you are doing

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Should have put money into savings for just an emergency.

This pandemic is pretty much showing how badly run every single "successful" business is.

"Look how much money we are making"
"You need to close down for a few weeks, maybe a month or two"
"We need a bailout!!!!! We have no money!!!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me going to the comic shop isn't just about getting comics. I created a routine around Wednesday centered around going to the shop. I requested later start times for my shift on Wedesday; I take a nice long bike ride to get to the shop; I sometimes go to the second bookshop next door to the shop to scope out some cheap graphic novels after I get my comics; I bike to the diner 5 blocks up from the shop and get "my usual"; I take a nice scenic bike ride to work. Now I could do all of this if there wasn't a comic shop to go to first, but it just wouldn't be the same Wednesday morning routine without it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

They even had an amazing interview with Dave Sim, which was before... well, you know.

I refuse to believe that Sim has done any other interview besides the one he did for the AV Club.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I was going to do a whole "state of comics" in early 1996 thing with the next month, but this is as good of time as any to talk about it.

Image was born in the boom and pushed that boom as high as it could go. But by mid-1994, the boom was dead. That didn't stop a lot of people from going, "The good old days of one year ago will come back any day now... Yep, any day..." That was 1995 where you still say Liefeld launching new books every month, a new "company" (actually the same company but they answered the phones differently when that line rang) so he could cut Image out of the loop, and cranking out as many comics as he could.

By 1996, it was setting in that things were never going back. DC was busy trying to figure out how to move past that and Vertigo was a big part of that. Marvel was flailing wildly as they dealt with bankruptcy coming from corporate shenanigans. And Image was fracturing with Valentino the first to look at backing away.

The Image model of books had lost far more of its base than other companies. Marvel and DC could rebuild, but Image wasn't built on anything. However, they did start transitioning at this point away from copies of other comics. It takes a few years before they get there, but the movement has started. Strangers in Paradise, for example, starts soon at Image. Rob Liefeld, however, won't be around Image for that change.

I'm quite interested in the Image non-founder books actually. I know there was Kieth's Maxx books but what were the others in the 90s? Was there anything pushing the envelope in terms of quality? Did a bunch of creators try out Image in the 90s? In the past decade or so there has been a boom at Image, and to me it seems that they have surpassed Vertigo in the creator driven weird fun stuff, but what about in the 90's. A lot of the founders did derivative crap but what about outsiders?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Solid article overviewing the Brubaker / Phillips / Breitweiser books: https://sktchd.com/longform/this-noir-life-a-retrospective-of-the-brubakerphillips-partnership/

It’s not the deepest, but man I love their books so much, and it’s a good intro piece for anyone interested in knowing a bit more about the various collaborations they’ve done.

A second book shop that I frequent had been building up the graphic novel collection and a managed to pick up the first 4 volumes of Criminal from there, as well as all the volumes of Fatale, as well as the first trade of Sleeper. I don't know who was the guy who sold it to the second book shop but I think him every day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

My dad got hospitalized due to a severe attack of confusion related to his dementia. He'd stopped eating for some days and was so out of it he couldn't differentiate between people in his home and people on tv. I can't even visit him because of this stupid loving pandemic.

Sorry to hear that mate. I don't know how close you are with other family members and such but if you are and if you are in position to talk to them perhaps get in contact with them as well to talk about your dad. It might help both you and them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Dang it I am stupidly late here. Wishing all Jewish goons a Chag (peasach) Sameach. May your matzah induced constipation be mild and may next year sedars be quarantine-free.

Edit: lol apparently some DC fans on Instagram are upset that DC used Batwoman to say Happy Passover instead of Ragman. Wonder why that might be.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 9, 2020