Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You keep saying things like "down with the bourgeoisie," "eat the rich," "sodomize the land-owners," "impale all people who have more than 25 bucks in their pocket," "literally murder all human beings regardless of their political beliefs," -- that kind of stuff.

Don't deny it. You're about to rip it off and reveal the monstrous seven-eyed lamb of global communism that will devour and masticate mankind.

What's it about?

Failure. It's about failure.

Yes! Abject failure. Total, irreversible defeat on all fronts! Absolutely vanquished, beaten, curb-stomped, and pissed on -- until *you* came along! *You* will reverse the fortune of the workers of the world.

You alone, against every living thing, against every human alive: eight hundred trillion dollars in the hands of an *impossibly* well organized ruling class; towering city blocks of bank-men who have the ears of prime ministers; million-headed armies of nations and the love of your own mother!

You -- against the atom, the charm and the spin. Where the whole world failed -- matter failed to bend human will; human will failed to get out of bed and tie its laces -- you alone, single-handedly, will rebuild the dreams of the working class. You are The Last Communist.

Now get to work, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
someone got around to playing Disco Elysium

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

steam sale babaY!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

disco elysium was GOTY and maybe GOTD

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
The historic opportunity for a revolution has passed. It will not come back any more. However hard I try, whatever I do.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I don't get why people like this game. I tried to play it and it was boring as poo poo. I just walked around this slum talking to people and then this trucker guy killed me because I said something about my ex wife and it made my detective sad and he just kinda died. The humor was really monkey cheese too but everywhere people love this game. I feel like I should give it a second chance but I don't get what I was doing wrong :confused:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I don't get why people like this game. I tried to play it and it was boring as poo poo. I just walked around this slum talking to people and then this trucker guy killed me because I said something about my ex wife and it made my detective sad and he just kinda died. The humor was really monkey cheese too but everywhere people love this game. I feel like I should give it a second chance but I don't get what I was doing wrong :confused:

you are allowed to dislike things

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No they aren't

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Koishi Komeiji posted:

mw2 was best imo

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
On one hand the op is extremely bad, but on the other hand maybe they’re 14 and their parents bought this account for them before they were even born, assuming it would increase in value, so I don’t want to bully them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

You have two "health bars", and when they drop to 0 you have a little time to spend an healing item or die. Many actions can cause to lose mental or physical health, such as being really depresse dor failing to get your tie from the ceiling fan.

As for humor, I found it to be kind of the opposite of monkey cheese.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

You have two "health bars", and when they drop to 0 you have a little time to spend an healing item or die. Many actions can cause to lose mental or physical health, such as being really depresse dor failing to get your tie from the ceiling fan.

As for humor, I found it to be kind of the opposite of monkey cheese.

What's a good build for someone starting out because I picked the sensitive detective and he couldn't do anything cool, like some of his skills were capped at 0. Is the tough detective or the smart detective easier to play as?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koishi Komeiji posted:

What's a good build for someone starting out because I picked the sensitive detective and he couldn't do anything cool, like some of his skills were capped at 0. Is the tough detective or the smart detective easier to play as?

Probably the first thing to come to terms with is that failure in this game doesn't mean you should reload. Failure can still produce good results. Any kind of detective ends up being good at something during the game. My first build was something like 2/1/5/4, a strong, perceptive cop who is a complete idiot when it comes to human empathy, second is 4/5/1/2, a human empath who is a pansy & a clutz.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Jan 15, 2020

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

There are equally difficult, regardless of your build there will always be a way to progress the story

Failure is a theme in the game. Sometimes passing a skill check leads you to the same outcome as failing the aforementioned check. Failing a check often leads to a more entertaining outcome (try to sneak away from the bartender for a demonstration)

Heck, sometimes passing a skill check can lead to a bad outcome where failure is preferable. Usually the game relies on you the player's logical judgement. Your not god, you can't shoot a kid in the face and expect to get away with it.

You can't see everything on the first playthrough, it's designed for replayability

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Probably the first thing to come to terms with is that failure in this game doesn't mean you should reload. Failure can still produce good results.

How much does the game let you fail before your character is bricked and you have to start over? Because during my first play through my dude got really hosed up like he had too many thoughts equipped and I couldn't unequip them and all the side quests were hosed cause I kept failing skill checks over and over. Is it one of those games where you are expected to get the bad ending and then come back on a second play through once you know what to do?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koishi Komeiji posted:

How much does the game let you fail before your character is bricked and you have to start over? Because during my first play through my dude got really hosed up like he had too many thoughts equipped and I couldn't unequip them and all the side quests were hosed cause I kept failing skill checks over and over. Is it one of those games where you are expected to get the bad ending and then come back on a second play through once you know what to do?

There's no bad ending. You can unequip thoughts by spending skill points after leveling up, you can unlock checks you failed by putting points into the relevant skills or pursuing further dialogue options. There are a couple of hard checks that are annoying (Shivers is the one that comes to mind), but you can get more and more bonuses to that check as you do things.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
say one of those fascist or communist things or gently caress off

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

the worst gang tag

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
*fat words*: time for happy *campers* to build *communism*

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

There are no bad endings, only bad gamers.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

IT'S HARD-CORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Koishi Komeiji posted:

At first you probably want to drop most of your points into skills. Make yourself better at things you are good at, or bolster your glaring weaknesses. Like if you have 1 morale or 1 health then boost than poo poo to 2 ASAP.

Some of the thoughts are super powerful, some are useless, others are just kinda fun, a few are actively detrimental.