Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After another long hiatus the Grand Prix is back.

Last season things sort of petered out and the 2019 season was dead (as far as I could tell?). Anyway I really like fantasy booking/betting on things and since the UFC have decided the schedule of today is to cram as many fights down our throats each year this should be a thing that continues.

Last season Ishin won the Grand Prix by a single point. He doesn't have a championship belt on his user tag but fear not, the winner of this year will definitely get a special user tag belt (paid for by me). It'll be a glorious belt but you'll have to wait until the end of the season to see who wins it.

To be clear, the prize is going to be an SA gang tag, not a physical championship. I'm not that rich.

About the Goonweight GP

Welcome to Season 26 of the Goonweight GP! Every other week or so you'll see a new UFC card posted, you'll post your picks, then you'll watch the show and have more fun because some guy you've never heard of can net you an extra point if he can finish this before the end of the second round. You'll have even more fun when the judges rob someone and you get points for that. It's even better if everyone at your party hates the guy you need to win.

A few days before every card, I'll post the fights on the main card with a FORM and a SPREADSHEET. Fill out the form (or post you picks in the thread), and then check the spreadsheet to make sure your picks are in there correctly. When the card is over and I find time to do so, I'll calculate the results and post standings. The coolest people post picks in the thread and spreadsheet. There won't be any "Of the Night" awards this season because nowadays they're kinda garbage compared to the old "KO of the Night" etc.

As with previous seasons, there will also be RNG picks.

CERTIFIED RULES OF THE GOONWEIGHT GP

quote:

Picks can be submitted via the Form, or in the thread, though I prefer you do both.
If a fight is called off after the form is posted no points will be awarded.
Picks must be submitted before the start of the Main Card to be eligible. Picks submitted after that point are considered null and void. Please pay attention to time zones, especially for European cards.
Same goes if you edit a post with picks in it after the main card starts.
If you wish to change your picks before the main card starts, make a separate post in the thread and I'll update the Form for you.
Points for each match are scored as follows
3 points for picking the winner correctly
If you picked the correct winner, 1 bonus point for calling the round the fight finished
If you picked the correct winner, 1 bonus point for calling the method of finish (KO or Sub or Decision)
A fight that end in decision is not considered ending in a round

If you pick a fight right, you get 3 points! If you get it wrong, no points! Pick the round, get another point! Pick the finish and you get another! Five Points if you get all of em! If there's a tie breaker for 1st, then I'll assign a card for the two people to make their picks for as a sort of "Championship" except it will be a Bellator card and not a UFC one for extra absurdity.

We will not be picking every show because some of these shows suck and happen on the same day as other shows so instead we are tentatively doing:

Tentative Schedule
UFC 246 - Jan. 18, 2020
UFC 247 - Feb. 8, 2020
UFC Fight Night: Felder vs. Hooker - Feb. 23, 2020
UFC Fight Night: Benavidez vs. Figueiredo - Feb. 29. 2020
UFC 248 - Mar. 7, 2020
UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Rozenstruik - Mar 28, 2020

After the end of March we'll begin Season 27 and try to keep things quarterly.

OUR FIRST EVENT:

Form:
Responses:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goonweight GP Standings as of 3/8/2020

HMS Beagle - 82
Macksy - 81
Nothing But Hate - 73
Memento - 73
Mekchu - 70
CarlCX - 67
LobsterMobster - 66
Mr. Carlisle - 66
TheKingslayer - 65
Skjorte - 64
Ishin - 64
BrotherJayne - 62
CommonShore - 62
bettyspagh3tt1 - 61
piratepilates - 57
Alex Murphy - 54
THRILLED 2B HERE - 51
Screama - 47
Crell - 45
Digital Jedi - 45
Bluedeanie - 45
Mekchu's RNG POSTER - 39
Brut - 36
Szymanski - 34
EricHall - 32
brian - 29
Fentry - 25
Low Desert Punk - 17
SquirrelGrip - 15

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 8, 2020

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
It's been a long while since I participated in one of these. I still have my Most Lamentable Dustman trophy (thanks LobsterMobster) showcased on my dresser!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A couple days ago I thought to myself "I feel kind of bad for not doing the Goonweight anymore but I got no time..." so I'm glad someone else decided it was a good idea.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
yay, goonweight!

McGregor, KO r1
Holm, decision
Oleinik, sub r1
Grasso, KO r3
Pettis, sub r3
Modafferi, decision
Yusuff, KO r2
Elliott, sub r3
Haqparast, decision

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You will all pay for your lack of faith in Drew Dober.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

To be fair, Dober hasn't given me much faith to begin with.

Last time I saw a fight of his I could remember, it was that comical situation where the referee called him unconscious when he clearly wasn't and the CABMMA overruled the referee.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 16, 2020

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Haqparast will do the weigh in, and Gastelum will do the fighting, as they agreed upon.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Crell posted:

I still have my Most Lamentable Dustman trophy (thanks LobsterMobster) showcased on my dresser!

Same here. Thanks for sending it all the way to Denmark, LobsterMobster!

Looking at the responses so far, I have to think the Rowdy Ringsports community has more faith in 7-to-1 underdog Roxanne Modaferri than anywhere else on the planet.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She very nearly became the first Flyweight Champion on like 2 days notice.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Two combat sports roads diverged in a yellow wood outside my high school in Omaha, Nebraska, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Mekchu posted:

She very nearly became the first Flyweight Champion on like 2 days notice.

Don't get me wrong, I predicted Modaferri TKO in the 3rd -- I even bet on her because 7-to-1 seems nuts considering how untested Barber is. Still, Modaferri is physically outgunned by anyone she steps into the cage with, and especially so against Barber, who has brute forced her way to victory against much younger and more athletic fighters, so I won't be surprised if she gets overwhelmed and stopped. But I'd much rather root for her weathering the storm and finding a way to win.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

lol what the frick, I misclicked. This is off to a great start xD

Mekchu, if you felt like flipping my Cowboy to Conor, I'd be much obliged.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Done

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

<3 thanky kindly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grasso/Gadelha is cancelled due to Grasso weighing in at 121.5 lbs for a 115lbs fight :laffo:

No points for that fight will be awarded.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for firing this up Mekchu!

Just want to put everyone on notice that The Most Lamentable Dustman trophy is as good as mine!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I guess I need tonmake one of those as a tag too?

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Conor McGregor Knockout, Round 4
Holly Holm Knockout, Round 1
Maurice Greene Decision
Cláudia Gadelha Decision
Anthony Pettis Knockout, Round 1
Maycee Barber Knockout, Round 2
Sodiq Yusuff. Decision
Askar Askarov Submission, Round 2
Nasrat Haqparast Knockout, Round 3

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I'm a different timezone than everyone I'm going to close the registrations to be about a few hours before the undercard starts (assuming I wake up in time). I feel that is fair and gives a few of the GDT people a chance to pop in their picks if whoever makes the GDT can remind them this is a thing.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Never done this before so I'm excited to be extremely wrong.

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
I'm what we would call a career lurker, but the siren song of Goonweight as drawn me in again.

This card is rough, yikes.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I still have the goonweight belt from way back when

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

Never done this before so I'm excited to be extremely wrong.

I somehow managed to win a past season so there's hope for anyone, really

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
McGregor KO rd2
Holm KO rd2
Oleinik sub rd2
Gadelha dec
Pettis KO rd2
Barber KO rd1
Fili KO rd2
Elliot sub rd1
Dober dec

Alex Murphy
Sep 3, 2011

1: SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST
2: PROTECT THE INNOCENT
3: UPHOLD THE LAW
Cowboy - Submission in Round 3
Holm - Decision
Oleinik - Submission in Round 1
Ferreira - KO in Round 3
Barber - KO in Round 2
Fili - Decision
Elliot - Submission in Round 2
Haqparast - Decision

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Submissions closed. Good luck.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit - I hosed up the point tabulation and am redoing it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 20, 2020

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

e: scores are under official review

nothing to see here

we have always been at war with eastasia

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 20, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I did the numbers 1 by 1 down the sheet and probably made a mistake. I wanted to get the numbers out so ppl knew but accept there were probably mistakes.

I'll look at the numbers again at lunch and try and get the formula sorted by the weekend.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
lol i wasn't last

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made a heart/mind mistake with Roxy, then the reverse with Conor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah that can't be right it says I'm in the lead

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah let me recount the points etc. Lobster if you could remove the scores from the post of mine you quoted so people don't get confused that'd be appreciated. I'll update with actual proper scores once I get more time to do so (and/or hear back from Massrafter/Lone Goat about getting that spreadsheet form they used).

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
well poo poo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got the formulas to work thanks to Lone Goat and MassRafter being very patient with me. I also made a mistake in having 9 fights to pick for the event, as the form only allows for 6. Going forward we're going to pick 6 fights from each card rather than 9.

Here are the results, bold & underlined is the current points leader

Mekchu's RNG POSTER 18

Mekchu 23
Skjorte 22
CommonShore 11
Crell 21
Bluedeanie 16
Macksy 27
brian 19
Screama 11
SquirrelGrip 15
LobsterMobster 24
Nothing But Hate 18
Fentry 25
BrotherJayne 16
Digital Jedi 12
CarlCX 24
Memento 29
TheKingslayer 26
Ishin 18
Mr. Carlisle 22
HMS Beagle 27
EricHall 24
piratepilates 25
Low Desert Punk 17
Szymanski 22
bettyspagh3tt1 19
Alex Murphy 15
THRILLED 2B HERE 17

Next event is UFC 247

Note: It was also pointed out we should have the "Of The Nights" to serve as tie breakers so those will be introduced as well for UFC 247. Apologies for the problems that have been experienced.

I have also made the winners gang tag and sent it to Jerusalem, so that will be awarded to the GP winner after the last event

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 20, 2020

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Wow, I got insanely lucky. I feel bad for all of you who know what you're talking about.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mekchu posted:

Here are the results, bold & underlined is the current points leader

Memento 29

HMS Beagle 27

:thunk:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

hahahahahahahahahahahaha poor Mekchu can't catch a break

Adbot