Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

The Ginettas pulled out for COTA but not for Sebring (yet). No statement as to why yet.

[Edit] statement via Daily SportsCar:

And there are three more races left of this rule set, and then the first year of Hypercar, followed by the first season where the LMDh rules will be allowed. Why would you merge it now, even if you could?

You might as well, LMDh is LMP2 anyway and why the gently caress would you spend $200m on a hypercar program when someone can just glue some plastic to the front of an Oreca 07 and get performance equalised with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Edge of points in F3 is solid enough pace for the Am driver in an ELMS car so she should be fine with some practice.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Super Formula testing. Toyota and Hirakawa on top for day one, Fukuzumi and Honda for day two. The season also sees the return of 3 car teams due to Team LeMans dropping out of the series.

Calderon also is competing with Drago Corse Honda. She’s been way off the pace - hopefully she fairs better than Tristan Charpentier.

She won't.

I say this as someone who likes her, she's a proper racer doing it for the right reasons who deserves a good mid-level sportscar career.

But she was outclassed in Euro F3, in F3/GP3, utterly nowhere in F2 and she'll be the same in SF. She's simply racing above her level.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Has he explained exactly how running cars in a circle stops starvation?

In fact, given America's insistence on fuelling race cars with corn it should make it more likely.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And ByKolles can't package an engine for poo poo, and even they managed to run reasonably well with it, without setting themselves on fire too much.

This is why I hate the new "BoP cosy everyone gets a turn to win" formula.

Proper LMP might have slight fields but where can you have a £200m hybrid mega technology Toyota with unimaginable complexity racing a bucket with an old nissan taped to it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Race All Stars series uses rFactor 2 as well, it seems to work ok for them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I look forward to finding out. Everyone's a ByKolles!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vando posted:

Do you reckon Audi have someone in the wings they've been itching to give the seat to for ages? Because if not this is incredibly smalltime behaviour.

The way I look at it is.

He sent someone else in disguise to a commercial, promotional, contractually obligated event and lied about it.

That's getting you fired from any job in any industry.

But yeah, he's shithoused up in that team for half a decade because he's the bosses' son. I imagine Audi finally saw a chance to say "It's him or us" and Abt don't have a business without Audi.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

an oddly awful oud posted:

They have to be getting ready to do LMDh, there's no way they're just *not* going to race at a high level in North America.

VW are trying to shut down everything though and LMDh is still born, especially if you're VW and are going to want to run at least a hybid, because they'll just cripple your hybrid until an LMP2 can beat it anyway.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ByKolles ByKollesing it up already.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's not LeMans, it's just made to look like LeMans.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm guessing they parc ferme the cars.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

uXs posted:

A lot more immersion was lost by the commentators repeating 'oh god it looks so real' every 5 seconds.

Yep, the only thing they said more often than that was "All female crew".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Don't get overexcited just yet, this is a series that had 3 full time entries last year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

GT3 is gonna stay popular for a long time (especially with full Am series), but it seems to be on the decline. GT4 and TCR are getting a lot of attention lately for the exact same reasons (and price point) that fueled GT3 early on.

And even then World TCR immediately turned into *nod nod wink wink* we're not a manufacturer team honest.

Then said manufacturers pulled out and it turns out that "SLR VW Motorsport" and "Audi Sport Team Leopard" had something to do with manufacturers.

So now the series that was turning away entrants a couple of years back to cap the grid at 30 currently has half that many entrants. And 8 of those 15 are still manufacturer entries that could be pulled at any second.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Spaced God posted:

Aren't there parts of Spa that are technically roads too?

I *think* the modern circuit cut those bits out.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

BTCC is probably one of the more successful ones and even they had dumb poo poo like those years where a team would win nothing in the first half of the year and get BOPed into the best team on the grid in the second half, which never doesn't feel artificial.

And even that's because underneath a large part of the BTCC cars ARE spec. The older Civic, Corolla, Audi, Infiniti, Hyundai, VWs and the Mercs are all using the exact same engine for instance.

And even then they've got success ballast, which is at least better than mad BoP.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The little ByKolles that could is doing better than normal.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Accident prediction, someone accidentally tries to refuel the Mentos Porsche with Diet Coke.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i know right, it's still running after 3 laps holy moly :eyepop:

And at something that might charitably be called "Speed".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That was just stupid of the #61.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ByKolles somehow winning would be some 2020 poo poo certainly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For a race with a lot of amateur and smallish business funding and a lot of people who can't dodge various travel restrictions with money, getting half the cars really isn't a bad score.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Formula Es issue is only that you have a series with a lot of manufacturers and no friendly GT3 style way to make sure they all have a turn at winning.

So either they win and leave because they've had the benefit or never win and leave because they're not winning.

It's what you get for selling your soul to manufacturers, ask the late 90s BTCC or mid 2000s F1.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Porsche’s motorsports head mentioned the ‘80s and ‘90s specifically in interviews, and said whether it’s customers or the factory team, “a Porsche win is a win!”

I think having the “customer car” be a bodywork kit and a powertrain - with common hybrid parts - on top of the P2 chassis is going to make that a much easier setup too. None of the hybrid P1 cars ever made it to customer teams to my knowledge; the factories were always guarded about that. Making it a common part will make that easier.

I don't think they did, Oreca ran a 908 and ByLOLes R10s immediately prior to the hybrid era but I don't remember a customer hybrid.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

928 already hosed it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yes, Zakspeed have a Viper here.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

All of which means, why the hell would you spend any money on your hypercar when they're going to BoP an LMP2 in a dress to your speed anyway?

They would already have sunk a lot of money into the Toyota when this was decided.

It's a shame really, you'd get some "racing" sure but it's yet another series being transformed into effectively spec. For all the technical interest you might as well just mandate Oreca 07s and Lambo Super Trofeo cars and call that LeMans, at least it'd be cheaper.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 16, 2021

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I think this is a way to try and revive the event ahead of that centenary running, and I also think if they're going to have a true open prototype class again, it won't be with internal combustion engines - think Group C but with a set amount of hydrogen (or, more generally, energy spend in mega joules) for the race distance. That would be 'road relevant,' that would require some R&D again, and that would be attractive to both engineering and marketing for many of the OEMs.

There are hints that in 2023 there might be a Garage 56-style car running with alternative fuels, if they weren't so in the poo poo right now I'd suggest it's BMW running a hydrogen car, but I can see a few other makers wanting to do that.

Yeah, and I get RIGHT NOW is the wrong time to be asking people to spend.

But the thing is, it's kinda always the wrong time, especially as there are fewer and fewer manufacturers every year. Hell this week the entire Fiat and Peugeot empires merged, so it'll be harder and harder to convince them to compete against themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

your friend wicka posted:

This is kind of a backwards question. Hypercar isn't failing because LMDH is an option, LMDH is an option because Hypercar failed.

It kinda doesn't matter which way round, if you won't or can't have a technical series you might as well go all out on the racing without needing to BoP it into the loving ground.

harperdc posted:

yeah, that's a better way to look at it. despite the necessity of BoP, at least they'll be able to compete together.

One man's "compete" is another's "Take turns to be given the win" and GTE especially sailed very close to the latter thing a lot.