Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So seeing Zobek again, he looks like a cross between Sean Connery and Christopher Lee

Also, the Chupacabras look like miniature Darkseides

Always liked the castlevanias after SOTN, and enjoyed at least one of the PS2 era ones. I think I have an idea where this plot is going, but I'm excited to see the whole story unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Huh, I actually kind of expected the abbot to be crooked or something else, but no, he's just a jerk. I mean, yeah, clearly it was the only thing keeping the vampires away and as such, the only thing keeping him alive, but still, lovely.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It would be another thing if Gabriel was portrayed as really smart or a man of science in general. As stated, I can deal with his reaction to this Frankenstein Monster being "Oh, it's a spider, but made of metal. Just another monster".

Maybe he just literally sees it as another form of magic, which he himself uses. Now it's "Oh, this magical barrier exists between these two points, and if I hit this button, the barrier moves between these other pylons. If I move this pylon, it absorbs and redirects the magic. Eh, you've seen one magic barrier, you've seen them all. Next."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

See, now is when I have to question the video game logic of one part of this game - The pickups and puzzle hints and lore bits dropped on the knights.

For flavor reasons, the pickups are strewn about on the bodies of your fallen comrades, and if it was just the crystal pieces here and there, it would make sense, and be OK. But because of the notes that are written alongside it, they make it seem like the nameless knights got there ahead of you. And I can deal with that for some of the traversal/puzzle stuff. In the first few levels, there are the guys who lament that "oh, if only I could somehow add a chain to my whip/cross/stake, then I could break open this obstruction. Alas, that power up is beyond my ability to obtain safely and monsters draw near". OK, that works, and presumably every body you encounter past that got the power up and was able to continue. And I could even see the monsters in Dracula's service respawning and being compelled to reset the puzzles after each knight successfully makes it through.

But at this point in the story, we had to beat the vampire child in a battle of Evil Chess in order to be allowed to progress. And it didn't sound like she received any visitors previously, and it also sounded like it wouldn't be possible to sneak past her. So how did these knights, and presumably any future knights we see, get here?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe it's just me, but are the sub-weapons not really useful past a certain point? It feels like you hold on to them as you play. I only really noticed because you keep getting the pop-ups of "you can't carry any more ____" as you go along.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So where is Carmella from prior to this game?

Also, if you don't destroy the hanging bodies in the first boss fight can he keep going back to them and heal up?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I think we're all ignoring the bigger question of how both Carmilla and Gabriel ended up back right beside each other in the same boss arena after surviving the fall from the collapsing spire several hundred feet up.

That's easy. Invisible walls. This game is lousy with them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Could you farm the headless burrowers for magic orbs if they just stay stuck in that dizzy animation?

OK, commented before seeing Yaga and the Scarecrows, those designs are great.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2020

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I like that the carpet matched the trap/cylinder color so you don't have to memorize what trap is where.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I kind of expected defeating this Chupacabra would drop him into the lava, and that is why we don't get to see him again.

Gravedigger is a pretty awesome design, though between his Pyramid Head inspired design and the zombies kind of looking like Silent Hill nurses, you can feel the Konami: After Dark theme here.

I mean really, the freshman level "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become one" writing, the well intentioned, but damaged hero protagonist looking for his dead wife, the creepy corrupted landscapes and twisted architecture, nonsensical puzzles... We're really just an air raid siren away from Silent Hill: Wallachia

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Gabriel Belmont: Chaotic Good or Lawful Evil?

Dude, seriously? This isn't DnD, this is the 21st century. Or the 17th, I'm not really sure.

Either way, you're way off. According to https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test our woman-murdering Gabriel Belmont here is INTP

Seriously, questions like "You often spend time exploring unrealistic yet intriguing ideas" and "Your travel plans are more likely to look like a rough list of ideas than a detailed itinerary" and " You are more of a big picture than a detail-oriented person" feel very different when trying to look from Gabe's POV.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I was pretty sure I knew about the twist because of reading how LOS2 starts off.

I thought that the main game was going to show something more along the lines of Gabriel having to give in to temptation and darkness in order to gain the strength needed to take on the final boss (who I thought was going to be Zobek alone). In giving in to his darker, more brutal side completely, he would become dracula and win the fight. But in doing so, his wife and god would both reject him, setting him down his evil path. But that appears to not be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The motion comic cutscenes remind me of the endings from Twisted Metal 2