Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought Blade Runner 2049 was a complete piece of poo poo but I'm fairly excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

Does anyone have any theories what happened to Jamis to make him so grumpy that day?

up all night playin with his worm

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Baron is not as entertaining as the one in Lynch's Dune, but I more or less dug his vibe and the choice to just straight up play him as Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now was pretty fun (I normally hate nods like that but this one worked for me).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I didn’t see it as a peek at an alternate timeline so much as just evidence that while Paul has some degree of prescience, his visions can’t be trusted to be 100% accurate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I revisited the Lynch Dune after the Villeneuve Dune and I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but they both rule.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't swap Duncan and Gurney's roles; Duncan seemed to have become a fan favourite considering he got brought back in the book's sequels

i'm rereading the book right now and i just wanna see Gurney strum that balliset, at least the Patrick Stewart version is carrying it around in a couple scenes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lol I love that it's just a Chapman Stick, it would be some prog nerd poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains? I can't think of any and I don't think he'd be that believable as one. The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

I would say that his best ever role by a huge margin, the one that put him on the map, is a villainous one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Martman posted:

Geez I wasn't that into Cats, but you do you

Cats ruled and if they get far enough adapting the series they should use that technology to depict Leto II

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't they already cast Feyd? It's the guy who played Tex in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I was bummed because I had hoped the Barry Keoghan rumors were true, I love that little freak.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if anyone wants to see Richard Jordon as a scumbag Bostonian I can't recommend The Friends of Eddie Coyle enough

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

well why not posted:

He's not 'sort of Elvis' any more than Taron Egerton is Elton John. Actors do not become the people they portray.

Incorrect.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm reading dune for the first time

you now walk the golden path

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so is Alia gonna be in this movie or what

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i always saw Dune as kind of a deconstruction of "chosen one" fantasy stories, basically saying "if everyone starts saying that some young kid is 'the chosen one,' be very afraid."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's zero chance of LLMs ever being able to write acceptable narrative, for a whole host of reasons both technical and labor oriented.

i agree, Lin Lanuel Miranda will never write an acceptable narrative

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The people who can destroy a thing, control it.

:hmmyes:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

deoju posted:

Alia is going to be in the movie, but its the baby from twilight.

honestly it should be something like this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

So apparently Mugler said in an interview that he designed that outfit after being inspired by Metropolis

Bugblatter posted:

Well, I’d kind of assume as much. It’s just a kinkier version of the android costume.

PeterWeller posted:

He didn't mention the Barbarella inspiration.

it was actually inspired by Bride of Pinbot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Really underrated King Arthur movie: Lancelot Du Lac by Robert Bresson.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thufir is not a character I care a ton about in general, but it is a shame if he's being written out offscreen just because Stephen McKinley Henderson was really good in the role

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the idea of waiting a decade to do a sequel so your cast can age up is always a bit silly and usually just means you're not going to do it (see: that Kill Bill sequel Tarantino used to talk about). Plus in the Duniverse you really don't need to do it because everyone has super long life expectancies plus spice suppresses aging, you can say Timothee is 100 if you want

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Hey be fair, being extremely skinny also sometimes indicates evil

and Dune 2 is gonna give us both Fat Evil (the Baron) and Skinny Evil (Feyd)!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i recently got through Heretics and it was a little tedious but had its moments. gonna do Chapterhouse soon just so i can have finished all the Frankie books.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm not seeing it in imax but i am seeing it in 70mm which should be pretty lit

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

isn't the lasgun/shield thing not that shooting a lasgun at a shield will cause a nuclear explosion but that it might? like there's a 50/50 chance. or am i remembering that wrong?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Illmade posted:

The writing is great and exactly how dialogue from a hyperintelligent, prescient super human should be.

Why?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Illmade posted:

He doesn't sound like a stilted weirdo. He sounds like the Emperor of a galactic civilization 10,000 years in the future, the product of a genetic breeding program stretching thousands of years to create the ultimate human.

How do you know?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

As far as the story goes, there are certainly some big choices made, and the only one I'm really against is leaving out Alia- that felt more like sanding off some of the stranger parts.

I felt this way going in when I heard she wasn't in the movie, but having now seen it I actually think they made the Alia plot considerably weirder than it was in the book. They cast Anya Taylor Joy as a fetus!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dune has been filmed three times now, I don’t know who is saying it’s unfilmable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cimber posted:

The original Dune book was really good and a masterpiece of mid 20th century SF. The other books it seems were....quite less so. Maybe for the time they were considered good, but are they aging well?

Opinions of someone who's read the original Dune multiple times over the years but only tackled the sequels recently:

Dune Messiah is pretty great (though, like most of the Dune books, a lot less action heavy than the first, which leads me to wonder how satisfying the third movie is going to be really).

Children of Dune is hit or miss but has its moments.

God Emperor of Dune is loving WEIRD in the best way, definitely worth reading this far in the series IMO.

I'm about 100 pages into Chapterhouse right now and that one and Heretics are both pretty bad but entertaining enough if you're still jonesing for more Dune past God Emperor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had no problem with Walken but if pressed I would have to rank him last of the three performances we've gotten of the Emperor (as with Baron Harkonen, the best might actually be in the 2000 miniseries, Giancarlo Giannini rules)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

I really don’t know why everyone talks about Jodorowsky’s Dune like it wouldn’t have been an unmitigated disaster and killed the franchise forever. Dude’s a loving hack masquerading as auteur.

i’ll field this one: because it would’ve been awesome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i may have liked a little bit about what the mentats are because i find them interesting as a concept but eh, the movies were long enough already. if i want that stuff i can just reread the books.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Just saw the movie, really enjoyed it. I've never really had any exposure to Dune other than pop culture so my one big question after seeing it is how do they get off the worms?

Very carefully.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

No one is going to be buying Dune toys and celebrating a Dune holiday and watching Dune cartoons and wringing their hands over who will replace the voice actor for Leto II in 40 years

I will

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like the little fart noises that the shields make

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he definitely died the same in the first movie as he does in the book, although iirc in the book it basically happens "off screen"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

How come no one knows how this dude died lol. Is the book that bad

it's a very good book. some might say "The Good Book."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It gets hard to keep track.

also a good point