Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This was made with thinking machines.

Are the ixian breaking the rules again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is honestly the reason why I hate the sequels (and the Lynch movie) because people insert the later bullshit into the first book without realizing it was never there. There is no Golden Path in Dune, Paul's actions are not some benevolent "lesser evil" that he carries out to save the human race. There are no future AIs, fish people, or impending great extinctions. Paul sees early on that his quest for revenge will lead to a Jihad. He makes the choice to stay the path because he thinks that he can find an off ramp that lets him get his cake and eat it too. He wants revenge, but he also wants to avoid the Jihad, and ultimately, his gamble fails, and he is stuck on the Jihad path after a certain point.

We have the curse of prescience. We know exactly all the flaws of Paul, and that he is not a very robust made person, he is weak and kinda dumb and perhaps even made this way to be easy to manipulate by the Bene Gesserit.

Since we know Paul future, we can't see his present. You are right. And because you are right, you are wrong.

And this said the Zen-sunny master.

------

You made a good point, but what if we apply that to other novel series?, Is Frodo just some temporal carrier. Was Han Solo just some convenient roguet trader, a step in the path. Your suggestion even with merit would mean we have to delete every 2th and 3th book or movie in a serie and reinterpret what that leave us. And is just too hard, and not too interesting?

It seems a huge effort made only for the convenience of these that only want to read the first book, or watch the movies based on the first book. People don't raise this problem with LOTR. "Please, lets ignore the 2th book".

I don't even think the first book of Dune is the good parts of Dune. Is playing checkers, the later books are playing chess.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Scags McDouglas posted:

Don't doxx me just because my leviathan body has tempted me to plaster on a fake penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CwB4T1nkaM

Poor Hwi Noree

(video is not related)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

In the first book I thought he died in a cave collapsing from the general chaos of the Harkonnen artillery/stuff crashing/etc.

My way of making his resurrection more plausible would have been to have had him get captured and be the healthy gladiator Feyd kills in the arena

Are we ready for silver-eyed Jason Mamoa?

Duncan Idaho "resurrection" is done by making a clone, and for that all you need is some dna. The novels are build on the premise the DNA store memories of the individual lives. So you can make a clone, and if you find a way to reawaken the original person, is a type of .... extended life. The original body is unnecesary.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Bene Tleilax has spies everywhere, and dna records of everyone important.

Specially at arrakis,

What I don't know is the relation of the Tleilaxu with the spice, If theres a mention of that in the books, I forgot.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

It's got a clear "we're strong, awesome, unified" aesthetic like real life fascists go for, but it is not informed by those, it's its own thing, and that's also what's cool about it. You can easily imagine one of the people in the arena crowd thinking "man, we have it good here on Geidi Prime - everybody knows their place, nobody has to think about fashion, the Baron wins wars throughout the galaxy, my son in his army is getting fed and has a cushy position on planet Bumfuckistan, and here I am getting to enjoy regular bloodsports".

Order must maintained at every moment showing force. Humiliating inferiors. Offering gifts to superiors. Every citizen would have one or two broken bones from police operations, or maybe a superior that took in his hands the need to increase productivity with violence.
You would fear the next day. Even the high up in the chain of power will fear falling down.

Perhaps the only guy happy in the harkonen worlds is that dude that take care of pigs, and sometimes mix the food of the pigs with fingers and ears of random people.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It also still works tbh. Since thinking machines are banned. And their definition of "thinking machines" is very broad, even calculators are banned which is why they use Mentats to do math. So precision anything is pretty much out of the question.

They compensate lack of computers with training. Like these people that can calculate the square root of a large number instanly with a combination of tecniques and ability.

On the Dune universe you have people that can do some specific job has good or better than a computer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BonoMan posted:

The Harkonnen's war map/3D display: Sort of seems to be computer driven? My (not-yet-read-the-books) understanding is that computers are basically outlawed, for lack of a better word due to the events of 10,000 years before.

Is that just a mentat powered display? Would knowing the answer to this spoiler anything in books or am I just overthinking it?

This is a game. The Ixian pretend to respect the Jihad Buttlerian rules, and the big houses pretend that the Ixian are respecting it.

I have not read about raizas on Ixian territory, but It would made sense for the houses to sometimes invade Ixian and destroy random machinery, almost like a ritual that the Ixian accept.

That thing. I guest was made with a mix of modern technology and optical tricks, but made so required a lot of people to operate and withouth obvious thinking machines stuff. Maybe the factory where it was created was already burn by the Harkonnen in one of these raizas, but first warning of the visit to avoid hurting the artist/artisans the created it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Shields are part of the settings. Becuse shields force mele combat. And that allow a individual to be good trough training. So you can have elites and a noble caste.

This tool has killed more nobles than the guillotine, because the flecchetes can perforate the nobles armor and shields and is easy to use by peasants with no training.