Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

We might have to wait longer for Part Two:

The Guardian posted:

Warner Bros considering delaying release of Dune: Part Two due to strikes

Following the actors’ strike in Hollywood, Warner Bros is seeking to push the release of the sci-fi sequel to 2024 ensure that stars such as Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya will be able to promote the film

In a sign that the combined actors and writers’ strike is beginning to bite, Hollywood studios are considering delaying the release of their most high-profile films to ensure that their stars will be in a position to promote them.

According to Variety, Warner Bros is seeking to push the release of sci-fi epic Dune: Part Two to next year, from its planned release date in early November. Starring Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, as well as Rebecca Ferguson, Austin Butler and Florence Pugh, it would have expected to considerably benefit from media and in-person appearances by its main performers, but union rules mean that actors are not allowed to perform publicity duties on Sag-Aftra-registered productions. It appears that studios are gambling on the fact the strike will have been resolved by next year, allowing marketing efforts to remain unimpeded.

A change in release date is also likely to affect its participation in film festivals; Dune premiered at the Venice film festival, at the start of autumn and Part Two is likely to have aimed for something similar – but the absence of actors would make it less attractive, as well as the lack of proximity to a theatrical release.

However, it appears that no formal discussions have yet taken place between Warner Bros and Legendary Entertainment, its fellow producers on the Dune films, who would have to agree on a new release date.

Warner Bros is also reportedly examining the possibility of moving two of its major December releases: the adaptation of Alice Walker’s The Color Purple, which would expect its actors to be involved in a strong awards push, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.

Publicity work on films such as Barbie, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One and Oppenheimer had largely been completed before the actors’ strike was called, though the time of Oppenheimer’s London premiere was brought forward to allow the main cast to participate, before leaving the event before it had finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Because of you guys I watched Part 1 in an IMAX - what an amazing experience. The preview was even more awesome on the big screen.

When it comes out I’ll watch it once in English on the normal screen and then again on IMAX (in German).

I’ll blame all of you for having a great time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I’m about to watch it a second time on IMAX (in German) after seeing it on a normal screen in English.

Just from comparing the extended Worm scene on IMAX two weeks ago, I think that this is 200% a movie that really, really benefits from the improved sound system.

killaer posted:

Also I am really confused on the last battle scene - how the hell do I use spoilers lol
Press the eye symbol button above the message field on a new post.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

smoobles posted:

So does Part 3 being made depend on how well Part 2 does? We need to wrap up this story, I don't have time to read a book.
The script for Dune Part Three is almost finished.

However Denis Villeneuve has said that he might first film something else before starting on it, just to have a small break from Dune.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'd like to remind you that I hate you. 6 more dreadful hours for this chump.
I’m really looking forward to drinking in the sound and visuals. I got a seat close to the front, just to get the whole thing blasted into my face :)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to
Having watched it on a normal screen yesterday and on IMAX just now, I just want to say:
HOLY gently caress, the premium is not just worth it, it is loving essential. If it is in any way possible, do yourself a huge favor and watch it on IMAX.

After watching it yesterday, I thought the movie was very good. Just now, after seeing it on IMAX, my completely objective verdict is: loving AWESOME, movie of the year.

The sound design is impeccable. It is never too loud, but you can FEEL the worms, and the explosions, and the fireworks, and hear the footsteps when walking on different types of sand, and the swish of the thumpers being planted, and so on.

Really, if you need to travel a city or two over in order to watch it on IMAX, then DO IT.

If this movie doesn’t win the Oscars for best sound and best cinematography (or best visual design, whatever exact category that would fit in), then there is something wrong with this world.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

theater i was in laughed, what a great cut/line reading
Got a laugh in both viewings I was in as well.

It was great feeling the whiplash other people got with people cheering for Paul and the Fremen and unease with the fall towards fanaticism and fundamentalism and tragedy.

Especially the last few scenes.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 1, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh also Paul gets stabbed right in his brachial artery and walks it off.
The way I interpreted that whole scene was that Paul could see the future and thereby managed to be (deliberately?) stabbed (twice!) in a non-lethal place. Feyd-Rautha never had a chance.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Lobster Henry posted:

I also wish the movie was a little stronger on the idea that the “holy war” is outside of Paul’s control, and it’s the price he has to pay for his victory. To me, one of the most compelling ideas of the book is this tension between a manufactured messiah as a tool of social control, and that messiah as a helpless instrument of social energies. at the end of the day, he can point the Fremen at his personal enemies, but he also has to fulfil the prophecies and requirements of his role, including announcing “It’s holy war time”, whether he wants to or not.

Denis might be keeping his power dry for DUNC3, but I feel like that could have been more effectively conveyed than some vague visions and then Josh Brolin on the radio at the end to the great houses who never turn up onscreen. It relegates it to exposition. I wonder if non-book-readers all grasped the significance of what happened there.

The movies haven’t given any hint of the galactical Jihad being a necessary thing in order to save humanity in the long term.

While Paul is in the north, he repeatedly says that going to the south will lead to billions of death - which is why he doesn’t want to do it. After the assault on the Fremen cities in the north, he still doesn’t want go south. It is only when he has an additional vision in which Jamis tells him to go south, that he relents.

After Paul drinks the Water of Life and he can see the future, he explains to Jessica that there is only a narrow path on which they (Paul and his mother, the Atreides, maybe the Fremen) aren’t destroyed by their enemies, but instead destroy them. He actively chooses to go down the path of galactic Jihad in order to get revenge. He could have chosen to abandon revenge for the sake of the galaxy. That is why Chani leaves him - and she is right.

As far as the movies are concerned, Paul becomes the tragic villain of the story.

Lots of things (like the Guild Navigators) are left out, because they aren’t relevant for the story told. They can easily be introduced in the third movie when they become relevant.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the textbook narration in the first film : "The spice is what gives the Fremen their characteristic blue eyes, the eyes of Ibad"
Ah, but if everything isn't clearly spelled out, then it hasn't happened, or was forgotten, or changed. [/sarcasm]

See also: Guild navigators, Paul's prescience, Golden Path, laser-shield interaction, etc.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Cimber posted:

See, this is where I get confused. Why would the other houses be ok with "Well, the emperor rotated control of Dune from Harkonnen to the Atreides. Harkonnen have had Dune for the past 80 or so years so it was due. Wait, the Harkonnen didn't follow the forms and just launched a sneak attack instead, wiping out the Atreides and retaking control of the planet? The emperor needs to unfuck this situation immediately and at least give control of Dune to some other great house."
The mutual defense pact was only against attacks by the Emperor. Every House had to be able to defend themselves alone (or with separate alliances) against other Houses.

As House Atreides was defeated so quickly and thoroughly, all of the other Houses weren't willing to go to war for a House that no longer existed. Also, they didn't know that the Emperor was involved. Of course, they probably didn't want to know that the Emperor was involved, so as to have a good reason to stay out of the whole thing.

chime_on posted:

In the book, they accept Paul as emperor.
What leads to the Jihad in the book if they accepted him as emperor? I can't remember.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the sand people get too excited about their messiah and go on an unstoppable space crusade
Ok, that is so dumb that I'm glad the movie didn't do that and instead had the other Great Houses declare war.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

she was super wooden overall. that's a tough challenge given the source so I don't really blame her but drat did they need an unknown weirdo who would really juice those goofball lines.
Did we watch the same movie? She was anything but wooden. She and Timothée had really good chemistry on-screen and made the love story work incredibly well. She also managed to make her increased estrangement from him in the face of his later choices believable. She and Tmothée were very good casts for their roles.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I laughed at the third time you see worm riding and there’s basically a whole ton of people and a palanquin for Jessica, it started becoming so casual like it was riding the bus
Because for the Fremen it is.

While in other movies the characters flag down a taxi, the Fremen thump up a worm.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Excited to see it in imax for my second go around.
Be prepared to be blown away.

I'm thinking about watching it a third time in another IMAX cinema further away, just to see it with the 4K Laser projection and the 12 channel sound system instead of the 2K Xenon and 5.1 channel sound system I watched it in the second time, which already blew me away in comparison to the "normal" theater I watched it in the first time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

kalel posted:

last I checked the 4k screenings only extended to the end of this week. they have to be adding more 4k showings soon, no?
Huh? That is up to the individual cinema. The one I'm thinking of (Düsseldorf) has IMAX showings at least for the next two weeks (some of them even in English!).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the smuggling bit was , for me, the only genuinely underexplained bit in the whole movie
I agree with that. It felt a bit weird to have Paul and the Fremen still attack and destroy the harvester, even though Paul had supposedly recognized him.

Something like: "Nice to see you old friend! Sorry about destroying your harvester and killing a good chunk of the crew you were so chummy with. Anyway, up for killing some Harkonnen?"

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm actually glad our theater had normal sound. In the past 5 years or so it happened a couple of times to me and friends my age (in their 40's) that the movie is so loud we tried to make earplugs with pieces of paper tissues. :corsair:
Noise level shouldn't be a problem. They managed to mix it perfectly so that you only get fully blasted by the bass, which isn't a problem for hearing. There weren't any parts where it felt uncomfortably loud.

IMAX or Dolby is really worth it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's one thing to train some dudes/gals with captured bazookas, and even teach the chosen few to fly a copter, but how do you train a galaxy-conquering force in some caves which the rulers of the planet didn't even notice? Again, I like the movie, I just felt that the ending was rushed and silly. Yes, let's load a bunch of desert people with daggers into spaceships so that they can knife their way through the galaxy! All the while staying well hydrated in their desert suits in deep space. :haw:
All of that comes back to Dune Part 2 not including anything from the Guild. IMO that is the most significant part that is missing in the movie from a story telling/world building perspective.

We did have Dune Part 1 explain about the Guild and space travel being expensive and spice being needed for space travel. But the monopoly of space travel by the Guild on the basis of Spice should have been repeated or driven home a bit more.

And agreed with everyone that the knife fight was really awesome. I like that the trick by Paul to win is so hidden/sudden. If you know what to look for, you can see it. And yes, it calls back to the Paul vs Gurney training fight from Part 1.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Answered before, but was the official coverup for the purge of Atreides? Read the book when I still had hope in my eyes, and the first movie back on release.
Surprise attack by the Harkonnens.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ex post facho posted:

me, two weeks ago: going to see D U N C 2 in IMAX

me at 2 pm tomorrow: going back for more D U N C 2
I've seen it once on a normal screen, then a 2K Xenon + 5.1 channel sound system IMAX, and on Sunday I will watch it on a 4K Laser + 12 channel sound system IMAX.

Really looking forward to it :)

Also: Dunc 2 currently stands at roughly 631 million USD box office world wide. :aaaaa:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

I saw it in 1.43:1 IMAX and hated it. I wasn't even seated that close or off-centre and everything looked like utter poo poo. Seeing it again in 16:9 non-IMAX 70mm was amazing though.
Was it the aspect ratio that killed it for you?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

If I had been farther away from the screen or it was 1.9:1 I think it would have been better.

The vertical compression is so noticable with a nearly square screen.
AFAIK, there shouldn't be any compression, as they filmed it in IMAX formats.

Have you seen other movies in 1.43:1? Maybe it's just not being used to such a "square" format?

I watched it (and will watch it sgain) on 1.9:1, and that was really great. I'd have to drive 5 hours or so to watch it on 1.43:1 and that simply isn't worth it to me.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, I watched it on Bochum and will watch it in Düsseldorf on Sunday.

Sinsheim and Leonberg are simply too far away just for watching a movie. Though the size of those theaters is crazy. Bochum is only 170m2, Dusseldorf 210m2, but Sinsheim is 510m2 and Leonberg a staggering 810m2.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

breadshaped posted:

I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.
OH, okay, I get why that would be problematic. That really looks terrible.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Qubee posted:

And to make sure I understood it right, once Paul and the Fremen teamed up, they started wreaking havoc on Hark's spice harvesting operations, because of Paul's knowledge of how Hark's operate? Whereas before this teaming up, the Fremen weren't able to inflict this level of disruption on the harvesting capability?
Exactly. Previously the Fremen were a costly, but manageable nuisance. Through Paul‘s knowledge the small group with Paul and Stilgar managed to mostly grind the Harkonnen spice harvesting to a halt.

quote:

I loving loved this movie drat I want to rewatch it.
I’ve watched it three times and enjoyed it more each time. Very few movies achieve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

If you look at Stilgar's journey from Dunc 1 to the end of Dunc 2, then he starts as a super serious, bad rear end Fremen who takes no nonsense from anyone, to someone who is somewhat skeptical of Paul, to someone who starts to believe, to someone who wants to believe, to someone who needs to believe, to someone who believes and then starts to see all the prophecies come true and becomes a fanatic true believer.

Just imagine what it would be like if Jesus really came back to Earth and started building up his 1000 year reign on Earth (please ignore if that is true to the Bible, there are people who believe it). How do you think people who believe that would react? That is what Stilgar's journey with regards to Paul represents.

And they manage to make it parts of that journey funny. And then start driving home the consequences of that belief.

It was amazing to see the reaction of most everyone watching the end of the movie. How quickly the mood shifted in the theater from triumphant elation over Paul defeating Feyd-Rautha, to the stunned reaction to Paul marrying Irulan and starting the Holy War. It feels a bit like the "Are we the baddies?" skit. You can really see and feel the gears in the heads of the audience turning trying to work in what happened in those last few minutes.

It's such an insanely well done shift in the mood.

Qubee posted:

The ending scene in the fundamentalist temple, was Paul scrying into the past and saying information that he should not have been aware of? Like that guy who wanted to fight him, how his grandma got hit in the eyeball with a rock and lost her eyesight?
The movie didn't explain it too deeply, but my interpretation is that Paul is pretty omniscient. He knew the history of that guy, but he also knew what was going through the head of the one leader (who told Chani to get out and tried to stop Paul from talking).

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 11, 2024