Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Christopher Walken, warned by Fatboy Slim, did not dance once during the filming of Dune 2. Except at the end, as the script demanded, becoming Christopher Dancen and generating Godly wormsign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Exfoliated Muad'Dib.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently a bunch of theaters are showing Lynch's Dune this month yeah

Finally getting to see that on the big screen will be a pip

I got to do that before Dunc, it was pretty good and hearing the music blare out of gently caress off speakers ruled. In particular, the music when Paul takes on the fighting drone during training was amazing. I hadn't noticed it before and it has strong Smouldering Corpse bar music vibes.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

kalel posted:

M'lange

FIXed.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The song is about Caladanian daughters, Josh. :mad:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yeah but also the Bene Gesserit were so busy trying to make a Kwisatz Haderach they forgot he might be other stuff as well, including stuff they could not comprehend.

Basically, they were looking to get a male Ghanima but got Paul and Leto instead. Also Teg later on to a certain extent.

Anyway, having a drink at the cinema before IMAX Dune (again) wooo!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Just back as I went for a couple drinks after, slightly buzzed.

Here be my thoughts after watching it for the fourth time - IMAX, cinema, home, IMAX just earlier as said.

The sound. Right from the start, y'backsward throat singin' mad fucks, yeah. It rumbles and shifts everything and in a lot of places* does it with different sounds in different places in your body.

gently caress it is just good cinema utilizing everything it can to make the best of an experience. gently caress yeah Denis, gently caress Yeah!

Jessica's dress. I am shite at visual nuance and I realize that is odd given the givens but I am more about the character behaviour and things making sense. Anyway, for the first time I noticed Jessica's dress in the official (tm) handover sequence. It is the fashion version of a shield untroubled by the slow blade. Bloody good stuff.

Gods Ornithopters look and sound cool. Seriously, the rattle my body felt changed position with how their wings beat.

I mostly don't like Hans Zimmer soundtracks, they are usually THUMP WOOOOOMP STRIIIIIIINNNNNNGS. This'n works and it's two of the three. So, this and True Romance, I s'pose.

Did I mention Ornithopters, holy gently caress they rule.

Javier Bardem owns this movie. Joel Edgerton owns The King. It helps he wrote it but he owns that movie acting-wise, like he out acts every other person on screen together multiplied by 10. First thing I saw Timothée in and I thought he was the latest twink gently caress fantasy until that movie. Jesus he is good at Act Ing. Joel ruled the entire thing though and it has Sean Maher. Anyway my point is Javier stands tall like Joel but with less being the writer and screen time. He owns the poo poo out of Dunc the first.

I had it pointed out Jessica gets weird around Paul. She does, after the Harkonnen attack. Paul is the last of Leto, she touchy-sniffys while trying to deny what is going on.

Jessica out-performs Paul at all physical activities always no matter what it is and she is outright clowning on him across Arrakis except for flying and the Walken walk. Seriously, her outrunning him is unreal.

Dr M'Benga/Jamis can fight. He can move a motherfucker but his distractant blows are weirdly terrible, by which I mean enough of them are right but no power and then there's the other half which are wrong and no power. Paul is basai like a motherfucker, respect but no power or knowledge. He is rote but his instructor seems to be a terrifying death machine. (So, Gurney and Duncan)

I ended up staying for the Youtube clip but in IMAX because neither side of me in the row moved. Just at the end when the WB shield comes up but afore owt else some dude behind me to the left declared, into the silence, "My ears are sweaty" and we all laughed. I'd say over 2/3rds of the OG audience stayed.

Muad'Dib riding the sandworm is :black101: :rock: with the bigness and the sound and the YESFUCKYESTHISALWAYSYESIWANTIMAXATHOMESOICANBESICKOFWATCHINGTHISINIMAXWOOOOOOOO

Did I mention how much Gurney Halleck loving rules and the clips of him in 2 are just so metal as gently caress. Dude has clearly read the Encyclopaedia or, Iunno, DIane pissed him off again.

*The sound hits you in different places and rattles you specifically, generically and moves around and poo poo.

TL;DR I got to watch a movie again in the cinema that took full advantage of everything it can be and it ruled.

Duncan holding the door is still loving cut to ribbons and does not flow or make sense though. As the on-screen flagstone of the legend (karakul cap not mentioned), I feel My Boy Dunc be hard done by.

Also, obligatory dinner scene, even if just as a weird-rear end hidden short.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

uber_stoat posted:

i think they're going to give Jess more opportunities in 2 to show that the BG sisters aren't just creepy Voice witches, they're also ninja assassins. one uh problematic character's role is gonna get folded into Jessica is my guess. she's gonna get stabby with it.

...???... Harah? I hope not that bit is absolutely loving hilarious and underlines Paul trying to stop everything when he can't even that bit.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Also, full confession, when Muad'Dib sorted out that bit on the side of the worm, I went "MMMMMHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM, SHAI-HULUD!" but I reckon it was smushed by the sound.

As I look on it now, I shoulda been married to some Dame named Margot.

Also, tickets not available yet here, motherfucker.

Monica Bellucci fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 12, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I saw it in IMAX last night and had forgotten how much of Paul's prescience was conveyed via creepy whispers while he's having his visions. Those are really easy to miss if you're watching it at home without the volume cranked.

Yep, massive difference, stupendous difference. Doing the heavy lifting for non-readers difference.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Shageletic posted:

Never post drunk kids.

Coward.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Well. I am booked for 4dx IMAX on March 1st. WTF is 4dx?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Cool.

I want them to show MANT! as well now.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Alia has prescience as well so I cannot see the movie past 29 Feb. sry.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks. My Dune Tarot cards are also completely hosed at the moment with the amount of prescience floating around.

You should adopt the Fremen attitude of the knife.

I hope Alia is just a wee CGI spider in a wee aba.

Or grown up and totally unexplained Alicia Witt.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
*Taylor Lautner starts imprinting on a stick with a ball at one end*

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Any of the Skarsgard's have a right age daughter?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Paul glimpses either Hwi or Darwi.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
HAR(K)onnAN.

Like Kimi

And the other fella who is his Dad.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Lovely Feyd, Doo Doo DooDoo Doo Doo
Lovely Feyd

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Fremen Friday, it's a-comin'.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They can just say something about the Emperor hiding behind Guild Navigators so Paul needs to take the waters of life.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
This is one of those times I reckon you should invoke the amtal.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Kart Barfunkel posted:

He better go crazy designing the Tleilaxu.

3 kids in a trenchcoat.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
HhhhhhhMMMMMMMhhhhmmmm, I remember that bit. Fenring and Missus attend Feyd killing the Atreides prisoner for his 16th, 18th? birthday. Later on Margot seduces lovely Feyd for breeding lineage procurement purposes.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
P sure Lucilla is the great, great et cetera, grandaughter of Feyd.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I HEAR LETO DIES IN THE END

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to

If it is even 25% like uno, yes. I saw Dunc in IMAX and then a couple of weeks later normally. Pretty massive difference, frankly. Especially the Voice.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One criticism I have of part 2 is that, to me, it's not obvious why Paul actually sends the Fremen out to conquer - but maybe that's because I was exhausted by the end, so might've missed something - a 3 hour movie is too much for me, as it turns out.

Paul basically doesn't order the Fremen to do poo poo, they use him as an excuse to rampage across the imperium killing whoever the gently caress they want.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

One of the scenes after the fight with Feyd-Rautha has Paul saying that they need to fight all the great houses, after they refuse to recognize him - which doesn't explain anything, given what the movie spends time setting up in terms of Paul avoiding going South because of the religious fundamentalists who he fear will turn him into a figure for the Jihad.

Not in the book. Mohiam says that Paul cannot loose the Fremen on the galaxy. What's he gonna say in public, "They don't actually listen to me like that"? His actual response is disingenuous as gently caress.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Re: changing jiggery-pokery, it also helps set up Chani dies having kids, which Paul sees and allows Irulan to drug Chani with moon tea or whatever the gently caress.

Today is the day I see 2Dunc2Fremen on the big rear end screen with rumble seat and smellz. Will report what Sietch Tabr smells like, other than sweaty Fremen.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Look, we ain't getting the dinner scene, let's get over it.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
You don't understand,Chani, Stilgar came to me, with tears in his eyes, saying "Usul, Usul, my Lisan Al Gaib..."

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh also Paul gets stabbed right in his brachial artery and walks it off.

He then takes out the knife with his left hand, transfers it to his right through lovely Feyd and without lovely Feyd noticing and stabs him.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

I get your point, and loyalty is something of a rare thing in Hollywood, so good on Denis and Bautista for sticking to it - but at the same time, I think Bautista can do better if challenged a bit more.

Dude wants to be a character actor, so he aims for the small roles in things with good directors and scripts.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Fremen Motion.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Actually it's his brother, Stroganoff.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Vegetable posted:

Why does it make more sense for a woman to accept being a concubine? The whole movie Chani’s depicted as a straight-talking, honest-to-a-fault kind of person. It’s entirely consistent with this depiction that she’s kinda mad, at least initially, at being told Paul will marry another woman.

Fremen have had around 5000 years on a harsh as gently caress planet and are pragmatic as all get out. They do not cry as it wastes moisture and their highest compliment is "Your plan worked".

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is part of why I'm pissed that we lost all the terraforming plans they had. The basin being changed to some sort of religious ritual to summon the lisan al-gaib completely changes the motivations and psychology of the Fremen at large

I'm also gutted that we didn't get Jamis' kids being uncomfortably okay that Paul killed their dad, that felt like a great little nugget of how the Fremen balance their really strict, ritualised behaviours with their terrifying pragmatism.

I wanted Harah clowning on dudes and Paul telling Shaddam that he would gentle Salusa Secundus.

Also Thufir telling Vladdy that he is a big dumb muppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
We don't talk about Brian, No No NO