Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The starfleet model of Military production is that ships are practically free, crewmen a bit pricey, officers expensive and teachers irreplaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

Sybok was an excellent example of an adversary that isn't a) a cartoon villain, b) not a galaxy-ending threat, but c) also high-stakes for the antagonists themselves.

Really, that was the magic of all of the original Trek movies; they were local. At most, a specific world was threatened, or a more nebulous concept like 'galactic peace' was threatened.

Nah. They can have Sybok, they can even have Spock interact with Sybok, then just keep it to himself.

"Spock, what happened down there?"

"A...personal matter, Captain. One I prefer not to speak of. I found it quite....troubling."

"Very well, Spock. Look, if you ever do want to talk about it......"

"Thank you, Captain. I shall bear that in mind. With your permission?"

"Return to your station, Mr. Spock."

Then, thirty or forty years later, Kirk, who wasn't even on the Enterprise at the time, finds out about Sybok, it's news to him, and what's Uhura going to do, just chime in 'Oh, hey, I remember that guy?' The plot point is that *Kirk* didn't know about him, and that's really the important part.

Why would Uhura or Scotty even need to know? Kirk didn't know hardly anything about Spock's friendship with Pike, so they could talk about it totally fine. "My father's other son and I have a... difficult relationship, Chris..."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thranguy posted:

The starfleet model of Military production is that ships are practically free, crewmen a bit pricey, officers expensive and teachers irreplaceable.

Pretty much. Because they're pretty similar fictional utopias philosophically I've always assumed the Federation would do what The Culture did and just stuff hundreds of warships in some secret hollowed out asteroid bases, out of sight and out of mind but ready to be warmed up if needed.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A themme fatale named Captain Angel takes over the Enterprise to attempt to use Spock as leverage to have his betrothed set free their romantic partner, the currently incarcerated Sybok, in exchange for Spock and the enterprise crews lives.

I just want you to know that I read this in the TNG promo guy's voice

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had not heard this one before, and I like it. Thank you.

Episode slaps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mllaneza posted:

I had not heard this one before, and I like it. Thank you.

Episode slaps.

I don't want to take credit for coming up with it just now, cause I can't remember if I read it somewhere before. But I don't remember reading it anywhere, so maybe I really did come up with it independently.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Alchenar posted:

Pretty much. Because they're pretty similar fictional utopias philosophically I've always assumed the Federation would do what The Culture did and just stuff hundreds of warships in some secret hollowed out asteroid bases, out of sight and out of mind but ready to be warmed up if needed.

All in orbit around Exogol

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Thranguy posted:

Alchenar posted:

right, I think the question would come down to "are we willing to spend time on meaningful military exercises, logistics and production redundancy, and maintaining a state of readiness across a substantial volume of space" since they don't have ultra intelligent machines operating far beyond the capabilities of biological perception or reaction

unless they plan on pulling a Texas-class with that mothball fleet

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2024

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
They obviously have nothing, a cube ended up inside Jupiter. Telescopes today could see that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Every Starfleet officer we see has such a hardon for space battles they have their own tactics programmed into the ship's computer personalised under their name the moment they get the rank to do so.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Evasive Maneuvers, Riker Epsilon Five

*ship drifts listlessly starboard*

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

maybe it's just a voice authorization to give the helm the button to push and they're all standard apart from some presets 1-10 or something

riker's top 10 lo-fi maneuvers to jamaharon to

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kesper North posted:

I love my partner. We've been texting back and forth about Star Trek all day and are currently trying to figure out how the Federation kept itself from creating a Grand Army of the Republic after the Borg and Dominion wars in short succession.

The Federation has always had a standing military; it's called Star Fleet. Many of the member planets also maintain separate militaries.

The Federation has always been pretty cognizant of the fact that the universe is a dangerous place, and seems to love the phrases 'speak softly, but carry a big stick' and 'si wis pacem, para bellum.'

Remember, it was a plot point in TOS that a single Constitution class could depopulate a planet on it's own, with it's on-board weapons, let alone getting scientifically creative. By the time TNG rolls around, a TOS-era Constitution Class is laughably quaint. By the time of the 'current' timeline, a Galaxy Class is a museum piece.

And we quietly don't point out that any Federation ship capable of independent assignment can quietly hang out in the Oort cloud or equivalent of any given solar system, and fling a bunch of rocks at the planet. Pretty easy to fling the first ones more slowly than the later ones, to get a full time-on-target synchronized strike. Also to fling them on different trajectories to get different attack vectors.

Then just pop over to the other side of the system with a quick warp jump, and do it again.

Let alone that you can wander down to the industrial-sized matter compilers and say 'Computer, synthesize me ten tons of a disease utterly fatal to the inhabitants of Planet Puppydog, authorization Captain Warcrimes.'

Let alone that you could just program the transporters to lock in on all the inhabitants, beam out only their hearts, and just orbit the planet.

I could come up with terrible plans all day.

quote:

The post-Dominion War version of the Federation we see in Picard has some ominously "Old Republic, just prior to the dissolution of the Senate and the declaration of Empire" vibes, and lord knows the hawks would have the upper hand in that political environment.

This was the literal plot of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Star Trek VI is an excellent film. One of my favorites.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Use your industrial replicators to build attack swarm drones as fast as the computer can produce them. Actually bother to research and recreate teleport cloning to replace or duplicate crewmembers. Use your warp engines to accelerate projectiles to relativistic speeds. Use your teleporters to simultaneously launch attacks on a single target from multiple vectors. Slingshot around the sun and destroy your enemy in the past.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Use your industrial replicators to build attack swarm drones as fast as the computer can produce them.

Actually, just have them build self-replicating replicators, and unleash a grey-goo apocalypse.

One of the neat thing of the Star Fleet Battles game was how it really examined the possibilities inherent in even basic Star Trek technology.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I fanwank that that's pretty much what the identical Inquiry class fleet at the end of Picard Season 1 was. Reserve militarization fleet they kept in standby.

TheCenturion posted:

Really, that was the magic of all of the original Trek movies; they were local. At most, a specific world was threatened, or a more nebulous concept like 'galactic peace' was threatened.

And the two that threatened Earth, the antagonist was basically confused.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 17, 2024

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I fanwank that that's pretty much what the identical Inquiry class fleet at the end of Picard Season 1 was. Reserve militarization fleet they kept in standby.

They overdid the clone stamping and the fleet could have used some variance but yes, after the Dominion war Federation would be stupidly optimistic again not to have any sort of reserve or on-call major ops fleet to handle all the fun that happens because the central government of one of the big three in Alpha/Beta quadrant collapsed. Or if Dominion which is so far away they realistically cannot keep close eye to them decides that peaceful co-existence is loser talk from solids. Or Klingon empire gets another "we need glory to revitalize the empire"-type as a head of state.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

And the two that threatened Earth, the antagonist was basically confused.

Exactly!

And in the classic Trek films where there *is* an actual 'enemy,' Kirk resorts to fighting only when he absolutely has to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirk knows
The fate of the galaxy is in his hands

Kirk knows
To only use his weapons for defense

No one
Will ever keep him down
The power lies on siiiiiiiiiiiide

Go go federation

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Federation definitely wised up when it came to having more capable ships. It’s perceived that they were resting on their past victories and allowed hubris to over take them in TNG era until a string of incidents came and kicked them in the rear end. The Borg was able to cruise to Earth rather easily taking out everything, the first time around dozens of ships were destroyed. Many of which were out dated and shouldn’t even have been there at all. Oberth? Constitution? Why were they even there. It was a patch work group at best with a single known Galaxy ship. The rest were out dated and modified versions of various ships. It was kinda pathetic.

Thanks to the Borg they finally got some dedicated ships to handle major threats like the Defiant, plus others that were created to fight the Borg but came in drat handy when the Dominion came knocking. A threat so big they could only win by getting all the major powers allied with them. They kind of lucked in with the aliens in the worm hole helping them out and vanishing a good many Dominion ships. But even with all that they actually had to almost take out the founders themsleves and offer a cure before peace was achieved. The Dominion isn't going to sit around forever, you know they're coming back one day, Odo against it or not.

At this current time point in Trek history now, it appears most Starfleet ships are designed to give a good fight and be able to take a good beating as well. Facing possible extinction, assimilation and enslavement really tends to change a view point, you want to do what is right but you also want to be prepared. Facing them all back to back likely changed the Federation in many ways more than we see.

Especially if they’re being called on to save every other power in the quadrant from time to time whoever it is. The way things are moving with every other power having crumbled, been beaten down or not really advancing as greatly as the Federation, most are primed to even swallowed up by it due to their reliance upon it.

Could get some pretty crazy things going if we start seeing more ships from other races be it Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian and the like all in more Federation styles. Give a time jump a hundred or so years from the current time in Star Trek and the whole Alpha Quadrant might be Federation based with all the races making up it's members if not discussing membership.

How advanced would the ships get. They're already pretty crazy in capability. What threats could actually be threats.

Or is the Federation progressing so well and gaining so much it's heading for it's inevitable collapse as all major powers, empires and kingdoms must after a time due to various issues that have always destroyed the most powerful after a time once expansion becomes too big and impossible to manage. Especially when there is crisis after crisis. Infighting etc.

Death from a thousand cuts and all that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

https://twitter.com/TrekMovie/status/1780603280290172988

I know he's treated as a boogeyman, and I go long with it, because of Red Letter Media and his association with a famous union buster but...

...I'm gonna keep making GBS threads on him for making shorter Trek seasons. Which is really just a trend across all television so it's really unfounded.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Strikes me as a way to be cheaper and not have to deal with having to put out as much quality product.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disco absolutely still had loads of filler episodes even when it was getting 13 episodes a season

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Its not really his call anyway, I don't think Kurtzman could make a 24 episode season of SNW or Disco or whatever if he wanted. He's being a good soldier and just putting a good face it.

But like lol, TNG is all "filler", I miss loving filler. Give me television that is 35-45% sawdust and ash.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite parts of TNG are the ones that most resemble a workplace sitcom. I'd imagine those are the parts Kurtzman wants to avoid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm cool with 10 episode seasons. 12 would be ideal, but in this age of ever more content and ever less time as we all march to the grave, 10 per season is perfectly fine. I just wish that this also coincided with a shorter turn around time between seasons, but whatever. The only time a 10 episode season has sucked for me was when shows like Picard did that whole "10 hour movie" bullshit because TV writers rarely know how to pace things, so you get crap like Picard Season 2's ICE lockup detour or Picard wandering around Downtown LA not knowing what is going on because we need to stretch for another 45 minutes before we reach the "gets run over by a Tesla" bulletpoint on the whiteboard.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Though I’m sure we could quibble over the numbers, a couple quick google shows that an episode of TNG cost about $3.5 million to produce in 2024 dollars, and Disco is about $8 million.

If episodes cost twice as much, it’s not surprising that we get half as many of them.

They could probably produce more for the same amount, but I suspect the resulting production values wouldn’t…meet today’s expectations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Actually bother to research and recreate teleport cloning to replace or duplicate crewmembers. Use your warp engines to accelerate projectiles to relativistic speeds.

You fool! Clones don't have Katra! You've created an army of soulless monstrosities and doomed us all!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Moonlight posted:

Though I’m sure we could quibble over the numbers, a couple quick google shows that an episode of TNG cost about $3.5 million to produce in 2024 dollars, and Disco is about $8 million.

If episodes cost twice as much, it’s not surprising that we get half as many of them.

They could probably produce more for the same amount, but I suspect the resulting production values wouldn’t…meet today’s expectations.

How much does the thing that makes the camera spin around wildly cost? They could get rid of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

How much does the thing that makes the camera spin around wildly cost? They could get rid of that.
Oh they do that for free

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh they do that for free

Yeah, you just get that whenever you hire Frakes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Frakes isn’t the one who does that move with the camera, thankfully

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Frakes isn’t the one who does that move with the camera, thankfully

I suppose. I think he got it all out of his system during First Contact because there's a lot of flippy, perspective-challenging motion control shots in First Contact.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I suppose. I think he got it all out of his system during First Contact because there's a lot of flippy, perspective-challenging motion control shots in First Contact.
I'm pretty sure this is the person who does that dumb camera move

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olatunde_Osunsanmi

He is also apparently directing that Section 31 movie

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rubber Chicken posted:

Evasive Maneuvers, Riker Epsilon Five

*ship drifts listlessly starboard*

Computer, activate Maneuvers Jerusalem Alpha 1 through Zeta 99 :smug:
WORK-ING! TRANSMITTING UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER IN ALL KNOWN LANGUAGES ACROSS ALL KNOWN COMMUNICATION CHANNELS

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jerusalem posted:

WORK-ING! TRANSMITTING UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER IN ALL KNOWN LANGUAGES ACROSS ALL KNOWN COMMUNICATION CHANNELS

Computer, activate Maneuver Apeshit 69

ACTIVATE RED ALERT
SHIELDS UP
ENGINES FULL REVERSE
PRIME CAPTAIN’S LIFEPOD

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Jerusalem posted:

…including Welsh?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaroff posted:

…including Welsh?

ESPECIALLY WELSH! I've seen their rugby players, I can't imagine how much scarier their Space Rugby Players are :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Clouseau posted:

Its not really his call anyway, I don't think Kurtzman could make a 24 episode season of SNW or Disco or whatever if he wanted. He's being a good soldier and just putting a good face it.

But like lol, TNG is all "filler", I miss loving filler. Give me television that is 35-45% sawdust and ash.

The streaming services are telling creators that they need shows that people will watch while they're also on their phones, the TV becomes the second screen. Which is a great place for filler! So why, while distributors are asking for shows that can be background, the scripted content they're releasing is all "prestige" style in sorry and production quality and season length?