Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m an old ST fan but I can’t remember the race that Carol Kane’s character is supposed to be? The same as Guinan? :confused:

Dang it’s good to have Trek back

Its a race that hasn't been mentioned before. Guinan is El-Aurian, but of course they could easily be related or even the same species if the writers so wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

I loving loved M’Benga’s solution was just taking space-PCP and punch the Klingons to death.

Even more so that Chapel was just like “oh okay sure”.

I am pretty sure Nurse Chapel would have been down even without an impending threat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

With her being a long lived and secret species, they are one line away from making Carol Kane canon in this universe. "I did some acting in the 20th century."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I normally don't like the courtroom episodes of Trek, but this one hit for me. My only complaint is what was noted before the speech that had more endings than LotR but even with that it wasn't just a super big dramatic speech, the actor really sold it well. I also loled at Spock's giant outburst even though I saw it coming a mile away. Overall a really good episode and now can we please get to the Lower Decks cross over?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

dr_rat posted:

My only real gripe was when one of the character was giving a speech they kept on giving flashbacks, to seriously not that long ago in the episode, to remind the audience. Stop that, we have functional memories. Would of been more impactful just, you know sticking with the actor giving the speech. She was giving a good performance and the writing was carrying the message, stop breaking up the pacing of it and taking the audience out of it!

I actually really liked that. It wasn't over the top or super long, but it was a neat way to demonstrate that she satisfied all the criteria for asylum. List criteria, show brief moment satisfying that criteria, repeat. It reminded me of something like a heist film where in the recap they cut to an earlier scene where some key event happened in the background but this time they zoom in on it to show that you actually saw it all along, but probably missed it or its significance. It was also really brief as opposed to like reshowing her whole testimony.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

it's kind of disappointing that we're two episodes in and they haven't really left spacedock; not the whole crew, at least. of course i realize why but there's only 8 left!

I would actually love if they never did, but kept taking side adventures in attempts to finally leave.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

maybealabia posted:

I'm pretty sure that the rule was that the captain can GRANT asylum, on their authority, and keep it secret if needed for the safety of the individual. It then had to be essentially ratified by the court.

In this case he kept it secret from the court since they posed the danger and the ratification was needed because the secret got out.

This is how I read it. Also, it's been clear that genetic engineering is fine for eradicating disease or curing inborn errors, but the line is drawn at some point, like with super strength or intelligence. I don't think Bashir's was legal in any way because he was just a little dumb, he didn't have Dumb Person Disease because of a genetic abnormality.

They didn't make it clear if Una's changes were more than or a side effect of the necessary adaptations to survive. We can give the benefit of the doubt and say they were all necessary.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is the Star Trek shitpost thread gone forever, or just on timeout?

https://twitter.com/Amuns_Ra/status/1672993653986402307?t=MzXUT2CBPPtViaZdS44FUQ&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Can you imagine what Sulu will do with a light saber?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

STAR TRE

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

The other thing that's funny is that outside the US, they've never really been the exclusive home. Here in the UK, the classic shows are on Netflix still (in fact I think it's the ONLY place you can see TAS) and LDS and Picard are on Amazon Prime. Plus the movies are kinda all over the shop.

Whats even funnier is that even in the US its never been the exclusive home. A lot of the movies are on another service, I don't think everything has ever been on P+ or its incarnations at one time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Timby went quiet after someone got mad at him for being uncomfortable crossing a line with his behind the scenes gossip.

Though maybe he was higher up than he let on and personally axed Prodigy. :tinfoil:

Timby also has some chronic illnesses that occasionally sideline him for a
bit, so heres hoping he is ok!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

What I especially don’t get is how they’re doing poorly, it seems everyone I know has Disney. I definitely don’t, but my anecdotal evidence suggests everyone with kids has it.

Yeah, when it launched I figured everyone with a child under 12 would have it. They must be throwing so much money at the MCU and Star Wars stuff though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its not on the P+ app sadly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lum_ posted:

Romulan acting has been traditionally all over the map, plus she's been pretending to be Canadian for 30 years and developed the accent. I dunno, it was pretty much out of left field. Enough Romulans guys, they're not supposed to be around yet! La'an shouldn't have even recognized the warbird, though I guess in Kirk's reality they've been more visible what with killing Vulcan.

as for her turning to dust, she did that herself after being shot by hitting some switch on her shoulder, presumably to avoid her nonhuman corpse being autopsied.

Also, Canada starting the Eugenic Wars is now canon.

The actor is Australian, so she presumably was covering that accent with a Canadian one, one that I barely noticed and would be fine for a Romulan trying to fit in. I thought she was good, especially the frustration that came out with the "it was supposed to be done in 1992" line. I am going to guess that scene, about time fixing itself and bending back against temporal agents efforts is the writers way of waving away any small details from Star Trek canon that runs into the modern timeline.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this season, the last two episodes in particular. It also reaffirms my theory that Enterprise is never leaving Space Dock/the Solar System and all adventures take place on the ship or Earth or a shuttlecraft ride away. One episode closer to Lower Decks crossover.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Wait what haven't had a chance to watch the EP yet but is the Kirk in this episode supposed to be the jjtrek Kirk? or is there now another alternate timeline in which Vulcan bites it? lmao to either. also I thought we'd be getting more Kirk this season, so I hope alt-timeline Kirk isn't the only one we get. although that might be their deal with not having Kirk/Pike interaction because of the line "I met him once" in TOS

Its a completely different thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I have never been a fan of trek episodes with time travel to our time, but this episode was great. What is it about SNW that makes it so much better than all the other recent treks? It's all the same tropes and similar writing. Some of the actors are better but not all of them. I just can't put my finger on why SNW is TNG level trek and just soooo good when so many things are very similar to all the bad recent trek.

Too bad they don't have money in the future, an authentic brand new 21st century leather jacket and a dive watch from the 80s would probably be worth quite a bit on the ebay of the future.

why do you think Pelia still has those artifacts, its just a fad!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Everyone posted:

Of course that makes D'Vana Tendi in Lower Decks even scarier because in "Veritas" she kicked the poo poo out several Romulan guards.

She is Orion who also seem to have more strength. "Shut up, I'm pirating!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, the gag with Pelia where La'an needs an Engineer, realizes Pelia is around in that time, tracks her down, convinces her to help them, and THEN finds out Pelia hasn't actually learned poo poo about engineering yet was great, as was the reveal of exactly what The Department of Archeology actually was.

I loved that. I also thought a trope reversal was going to be Kirk getting his rear end handed to him in chess immediately, and then they just get the money someway else.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Granted, that was alternate Kirk, but regular Kirk kicks' Spock's butt at 3D chess. He's really good.

Right, but in this timeline they weren't friends, so maybe he never learned to play, but clearly did. Just thought they had been teasing and then tossing out a lot of things in the previous episode that they might continue.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I also caught that, it’s very meta

More and more my favorite sub-sub-genre of sci fi is time travel frustration. Agents of SHIELD did a time loop episode that was amazing and one of the highlights was Coulson being one of two people aware of the loop and just being fatalistic and frustrated as it goes on and on, like just so completely over the bullshit. Its fun watching people get so frustrated and angered over time travel shenanigans.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Something just occurred to me about the story in this episode that I’m not clear on.

Who actually blew up the bridge? Was it the Romulan lady? I’m just not clear on why the people in the van were waiting for the attack to occur and then hauled away debris. They kind of dropped that whole plot. The Romulan woman’s whole plan was to blow up the reactor but I’m not at all clear what those people in the van were actually doing.

They both said the bridge bombing happened in their timelines. The real time line had an unknown (to us) bomber. The alternate timeline it was Romulans doing it to gain access to the Cold Fusion reactor so they could blow it up and level the city since that was where the debris and parts of the bomb were being transported.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Types of SNW conflicts:

Man vs. Self
Man vs. Man/Alien
Man vs. GodTIME

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Phlox loving loved toilet soup

I was going to say, it wouldn't surprise me if Toilet Soup was just the name of a Denoblian delicacy based on appearance and they find it funny.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

Kinda wish Lower Decks could do a time travel episode where they end up visiting and sneaking around a bunch of "present day" times when other crews visited. They could comment on how its weird that there were so many visits between the 1980s and the 2020s. Except for TNG who ended up visiting a century earlier.

You know Boimler has both these outfits ready to go:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

literally every star trek series did a time travel plot. the actual story of "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" wasn't very similar to any of them

Yeah, thats kind of an unfair criticism. There are like two overall time travel plots: time loop and something changed and needs correcting, usually by sending someone back in time. Although, Star Trek IV had a novel take where they needed to take something out of the past and bring it to the present in order to save the day.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, there are kind of common "time travel story" tropes (like beyond what you identified, a character developing romantic feelings for one that's doomed, a species going back to try and stop the federation from being founded, etc.). but consider what actually happens: la'an is selected to go back in time to prevent her ancestor, who is already established to be a really loving terrible person, from being killed. the threat to either toronto in the past or to the federation in the future is incidental. really, it's her story that we're following because she's part of the main cast. i can't think of any other trek series that did an episode with a similar plot

Thats what I meant, its unfair to call it by the number because it can be boiled down to "reverse a change to the past". There was a lot of nuance and overall a good story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I threw on the first JJ Trek movie last night on a whim and have some thoughts regarding some stuff in this thread. First, Romulans definitely have enhanced strength compared to humans. Its not Hulk like, but for sure more than humans. Second, however much lens flare you remember being in the movie, double it. At least. Like any scene on a ship has multiple lens flares in every shot. Otherwise, the design of the ships corridors and bridges seems consistent with SNW. I actually kind of like engineering sets, and the idea that it isn't a single warp core. The warp core is a collection of reactors, which from an engineering perspective makes a lot more sense than a single core and point of failure.

The JJ Ships also seem to be a lot more crowded than SNW, but that's also the difference between a movie budget and a TV one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Both ways is implied, you don't need it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Any two characters sharing a scene together feel like they're about to jump each other's bones and start making out at any second. Even Spock and Pelia seemed like they were flirting.

At first I thought that was because Jess Bush was an instant chemistry machine but now I am thinking Ethan Peck is the common denominator...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Discovery of intelligent alien life on our planet would likely accelerate the development of space faring and FTL travel, which would certainly be antithetical to the Romulans' goals. It makes sense they have a vaporization pill for sure, its like the one thing that makes the most sense in all of this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just realized that the whole notion of letting baby Space Hitler live to prevent a larger disaster is just a version of the trolley problem and thats why people get so heated about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I appreciated Liam Shaw for his simple "I'm not gonna tolerate your obvious bullshit" attitude to Picard and crew.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Anything not in post-production at the moment is dead until proven otherwise because of the writers strike. SNW is renewed through season 3 and is the most likely to happen. Everything else was in pre-production.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery, the show, did not decide it's system of ethics was to save the dictator because she looked like Bo Burnhams mom. Burnham made a passionate decision in the heat of the moment and then they had to live with it.

Yeah, as much as people are making GBS threads on it, its not a tacit endorsement of Space Hitler. The whole idea was a person, who already lost their mom, their surrogate mom, and is now faced with split second decision of saving the mirror universe counterpart and makes a rash decision. I think they also did a good job using Mirror Mom to show how much Starfleet was willing to bend to win the Klingon war. They were already crossing lines, so this was just another they were happy to cross again. By the end Mirror Mom realizes genocide is bad and is judged to be worthy by a powerful entity that seemingly knows what they are doing.

I am not saying it was executed well, but I don't think you can look at that story line and end on the side of the show being "Pro-Space Hitler".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I honestly can't tell if I am more mad at Discovery or Picard for introducing a concept or idea and just totally throwing it away. Both shows has concepts that could have been so much more interesting than what they did.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

We want cool guys on a ship looking at stuff and running into Evolved Beings and Evil Robots starting in 2380 we do not want convoluted season long serialized mystery box BS!

Unless that mystery box is a literal box and its a partially decommissioned Borg Cube!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah but they didn't do anything with it. Well maybe they did I've yet to watch a full season. I even quit the s3 Picard like half way through the finale - though it had felt like pulling teeth getting through the season

Thats my initial point! They gave us a taste of what could be really fun and interesting and just either made it boring and dumb, or threw it away.

Also, Tig is like Andrew Robinson in that she makes so much of her small role that when you look back you are shocked at how few episodes/how little screen time she is in it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gangringo posted:

I never watched Discovery. I tuned out after the first 2-3 episodes were all dark, harshly lit rooms with everyone yelling at each other.

Did it ever stop being that?

The rooms are a little less dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

claw game handjob posted:

Honestly, if I were to try one-sentence or short summarizing Discovery, I would say "it's the experimental one that throws its whole rear end into concept after concept, aiming for the stars and slamming face-first into the moon in execution".

I love a lot of the ideas! I just don't think they've landed the plane successfully a single time.

I got to say I did like how they wrote around why we have never heard of Discovery or why Spock's sister is never mentioned in the hours of Spock screen time. It was a clever way to take them out of canon while still also maintaining it.