Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

maybe some strange new worlds? no clue where people might get that idea from

Sorry due to budget cuts they will only be visiting strange second hand worlds from now on. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Sorry due to budget cuts they will only be visiting strange second hand worlds from now on. :(

Truly in the spirit to prepare for the Lower Decks crossover episode

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

No Dignity posted:

I simply would not have to steal so many shows if they were all still on Netflix. They did this to themselves

Or, if you're in Australia:

"[Streaming Service] has not made the following content available in your region"

Professor Beetus posted:

"Wow, people don't pirate as much when there's a cheap and simple alternative to doing so! Well surely when we yank all our content off the most popular services and start our own, they'll just start paying us, too!

I'd love to give the companies my money to let them know to continue making this stuff, but they literally won't let me.

So gently caress 'em 🏴‍☠️

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I thought the episode was good up until baby Khan's room, with his name scribbled on the name plate. That was dumb on the nose poo poo.

So I guess even if we had the ability, we really can't and shouldn't go back in time and kill baby Hitler.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jose Oquendo posted:

I thought the episode was good up until baby Khan's room, with his name scribbled on the name plate. That was dumb on the nose poo poo.

So I guess even if we had the ability, we really can't and shouldn't go back in time and kill baby Hitler.

No, you convince young Hitler to become a cowboy in the American west, just like the heroes of his Karl May novels.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Everyone knows that if you go back in time and assassinate Hitler, the Soviets will invade Europe with their Tesla tanks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Typical Pubbie posted:

Everyone knows that if you go back in time and assassinate Hitler, the Soviets will invade Europe with their Tesla tanks.

But then humanity also domesticates giant squids, so like there are a lot of pro's and cons about going in that direction.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You fools, you can prevent all 20th century warfare just by going back in time to find the Rubayat, the necklace, and the painting before the Titanic sinks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Honestly if were just gonna play loosey goosey with the timeline just go to Atlanta and tell them that the seas a dick and they should invest in airships.

Boom utopia for all!

Unless the Atlanta people were bad I guess. :shrug:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Agriculture was a mistake.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

I also found the actress playing the future Romulan vampire or whatever the hell she was really sucked at the role. Maybe I looked away or blinked, but why did she die like a Blade vampire? Her personality was nothing like a Romulan at all, also perhaps a pedantic complaint.

Romulan acting has been traditionally all over the map, plus she's been pretending to be Canadian for 30 years and developed the accent. I dunno, it was pretty much out of left field. Enough Romulans guys, they're not supposed to be around yet! La'an shouldn't have even recognized the warbird, though I guess in Kirk's reality they've been more visible what with killing Vulcan.

as for her turning to dust, she did that herself after being shot by hitting some switch on her shoulder, presumably to avoid her nonhuman corpse being autopsied.

Also, Canada starting the Eugenic Wars is now canon.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 29, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

As a non-American, part of me was wondering if the location being Toronto was an injoke about how they always film US shows in Toronto and pretend it's America. The whole "we're in New York" followed by "no, Toronto" is a fun way of lampshading that. If that's what they were doing, and I thought it was what they were doing.

According to an interview with Paul Wesley that was intentionally the joke.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lum_ posted:

Romulan acting has been traditionally all over the map, plus she's been pretending to be Canadian for 30 years and developed the accent. I dunno, it was pretty much out of left field. Enough Romulans guys, they're not supposed to be around yet! La'an shouldn't have even recognized the warbird, though I guess in Kirk's reality they've been more visible what with killing Vulcan.

as for her turning to dust, she did that herself after being shot by hitting some switch on her shoulder, presumably to avoid her nonhuman corpse being autopsied.

Also, Canada starting the Eugenic Wars is now canon.

The actor is Australian, so she presumably was covering that accent with a Canadian one, one that I barely noticed and would be fine for a Romulan trying to fit in. I thought she was good, especially the frustration that came out with the "it was supposed to be done in 1992" line. I am going to guess that scene, about time fixing itself and bending back against temporal agents efforts is the writers way of waving away any small details from Star Trek canon that runs into the modern timeline.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this season, the last two episodes in particular. It also reaffirms my theory that Enterprise is never leaving Space Dock/the Solar System and all adventures take place on the ship or Earth or a shuttlecraft ride away. One episode closer to Lower Decks crossover.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

swickles posted:

The actor is Australian, so she presumably was covering that accent with a Canadian one, one that I barely noticed and would be fine for a Romulan trying to fit in. I thought she was good, especially the frustration that came out with the "it was supposed to be done in 1992" line. I am going to guess that scene, about time fixing itself and bending back against temporal agents efforts is the writers way of waving away any small details from Star Trek canon that runs into the modern timeline.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this season, the last two episodes in particular. It also reaffirms my theory that Enterprise is never leaving Space Dock/the Solar System and all adventures take place on the ship or Earth or a shuttlecraft ride away. One episode closer to Lower Decks crossover.

Dockstuck is a weird way to take Star Trek, ngl...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am 5 minutes into this episode and I already want to tell Trek writers to stop time travel plots.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lum_ posted:

though I guess in Kirk's reality they've been more visible what with killing Vulcan.

Wait what haven't had a chance to watch the EP yet but is the Kirk in this episode supposed to be the jjtrek Kirk? or is there now another alternate timeline in which Vulcan bites it? lmao to either. also I thought we'd be getting more Kirk this season, so I hope alt-timeline Kirk isn't the only one we get. although that might be their deal with not having Kirk/Pike interaction because of the line "I met him once" in TOS

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have never been a fan of trek episodes with time travel to our time, but this episode was great. What is it about SNW that makes it so much better than all the other recent treks? It's all the same tropes and similar writing. Some of the actors are better but not all of them. I just can't put my finger on why SNW is TNG level trek and just soooo good when so many things are very similar to all the bad recent trek.

Too bad they don't have money in the future, an authentic brand new 21st century leather jacket and a dive watch from the 80s would probably be worth quite a bit on the ebay of the future.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Wait what haven't had a chance to watch the EP yet but is the Kirk in this episode supposed to be the jjtrek Kirk? or is there now another alternate timeline in which Vulcan bites it? lmao to either. also I thought we'd be getting more Kirk this season, so I hope alt-timeline Kirk isn't the only one we get. although that might be their deal with not having Kirk/Pike interaction because of the line "I met him once" in TOS

Its a completely different thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I have never been a fan of trek episodes with time travel to our time, but this episode was great. What is it about SNW that makes it so much better than all the other recent treks? It's all the same tropes and similar writing. Some of the actors are better but not all of them. I just can't put my finger on why SNW is TNG level trek and just soooo good when so many things are very similar to all the bad recent trek.

Too bad they don't have money in the future, an authentic brand new 21st century leather jacket and a dive watch from the 80s would probably be worth quite a bit on the ebay of the future.

why do you think Pelia still has those artifacts, its just a fad!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Won't spoil it further since you said you haven't watched it but it's not JJTrek Universe.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As for all the Kirk appearances being timey-wimey stuff, I think it's a pretty neat callback to the fact that it's one of the TOS characters *not* rebooted in this series. Wouldn't be surprised if we see McCoy or Sulu at some point.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

As for more Kirk this season, the trailer showed at least one more Kirk appearance as an Lt. so maybe mainstream Kirk has more than a Skype call this season

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Every episode from this point on ends with La'an facetiming Kirk with "u up?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

swickles posted:

Its a completely different thing.

Lum_ posted:

Won't spoil it further since you said you haven't watched it but it's not JJTrek Universe.

Lmao I hope they eventually reveal that the original timeline is the only one in which Vulcan isn't destroyed

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Every single one of those little opening vignettes were perfect, little snapshots of everyday life on board a starship. As always Spock providing the best laugh with his music causing a noise complaint.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Spock just looked so quietly wounded when he turned away, it was hilarious.

Broke his little green heart.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang that episode was really peak Star Trek. It's going to be one that's referenced for years.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

That was an awesome episode. That line about how everything was supposed to have happened in 1992 reminded me of "We do'nt speak about it with outsiders".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Every single one of those little opening vignettes were perfect, little snapshots of everyday life on board a starship. As always Spock providing the best laugh with his music causing a noise complaint.

It was definitely La'an herself that was bothered by his lute playing, wasn't it? :D

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

D-Pad posted:

YouTube recommended me this interview with the director for the previous episode and based on that it sounds like they just have a great team of talented people all working smoothly together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjDOiKMI2A

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that episode was great, i think it was probably the best of the series so far

not much to comment on that hasn't already been brought up i guess, really good writing for a change. the whole thing had "the city on the edge of forever" vibes, right down to the musical interlude right before kirk dies. maybe it was just me but it seemed extremely similar to "goodnight sweetheart", which made me think kirk wasn't going to survive.

is there a teaser for next week anywhere? i definitely enjoyed this one but i'd also like them to actually go somewhere else next week

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also kirk calling her "noonien soong" was very good :discourse:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

We can leave a loaded handgun unsecured in his bedroom

Beeftweeter posted:

also kirk calling her "noonien soong" was very good :discourse:

Yeah lots of meta jokes this week, loved it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
We should kill baby Hitler, but not like, cruelly or anything. Just set him in a garage and start the car.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Absolutely fantastic. No notes. Top twenty all-time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
That was a good one.

I was kind of expecting Carol Kane to ask for her watch back at the end, though.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zoux posted:

We can leave a loaded handgun unsecured in his bedroom

lol yeah i was like "wait, did she just... leave that on his desk?"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Unkempt posted:

That was a good one.

I was kind of expecting Carol Kane to ask for her watch back at the end, though.

i was too. considering the lingering shot at the end i don't think we've seen the last of it though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

La’an Wick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Unkempt posted:

That was a good one.

I'm sure she will eventually, like how M'Benga's kid took most of season 1 to pay off.