Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe S31 is why theres seemingly nothing happening in that window, hmmm, theyre doing it all so secret-like nobody even notices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Random thought. Did anyone else think it was a little unfair of Jean-Luc to blame the reporter for not being familiar with "Dunkirk"? It happened almost five hundred years ago. It'd be like us name-dropping (*throws a dart at Wikipedia*) "Castillon" to a reporter and then castigating them for not immediately recognizing that you mean the battle from the Hundred Years' War. I get that he was mad, but it still seemed unfair to throw it in her face.

This is great because I thought Dunkirk was some WW thing and I didn't even see that movie.

I enjoyed this more than I expected. The trailer for the next episode seemed extreme, but that's a critique of overly dramatic trailerographers, not the show.

I was and am still hoping Dahj didn't die, I don't think "surprise twin" is really going to cut it for me. Just seems rude to do the ol' introduce and kill. Too videogamey. Other than that, totally into the Data Babies Club. I am extremely pro-artificial life. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose AL or hybrids. I am also into them doing a hotrod custom borg cube. I really hope that the Borg finally figured out that the way to assimilate the Federation would be to let the people of the sector to integrate themselves by choice, kind of.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When we say before, are we assuming time is a flat circle or..?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are there any time travel fictions that work on the premise of time not being linear? We always have to think that if we go back in the past and change this or that, it must have consequences for the future but in our world the nature of time is still kind of mysterious and in a fictional world you're obviously free to construct time to work however you want. Go back in time, kill your dad, go back to present and you still exist both with a dad and a dead dad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Even in a time travel story we tend to imagine that any given moment follows conventional rules*. I guess if you're supposing that things look normal only so long as the timeline is undisturbed, you could have all sorts of psychedelic nonsense happen after someone changes the past, rather than all this linear/cyclical stuff we've been imagining.

*Except ones where images fade into photographs or people fade out of existence. Forget the obvious question of why an object would fade away at one particular time and not another, what would happen if you took a picture of something fading away? What if it was an object and you tried to touch it? If someone sees it fading away, how could that series of events exist in the memory of the character seeing it happen? Wouldn't the memory that things had ever been different fade away too? In short, it's pretty easy to do a nonsensical time travel story and get away with it.

Yeah, I've been trying to think of how you would even go about using film, a time-based medium, to depict a non-linear time reality. Or even language, really. It kind of seems to boil down to Determinism. Seems like either Determinism is real and that actions have consequences and time/events happens in order, or determinism isn't real and nothing can make sense.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Prophets on DS9 do not see time linearly and are very confused about beings that do. Everything has already happened, in their view.

Which is weird, because they should already have come to understand that some beings understand perceive differently!

Binary Logic posted:

Not sure if it fits your exact paradox but maybe "-All You Zombies" by Robert Heinlein.

This sounds cool and reminds me of that short story where this guy dies and is going to be reincarnated, and he's like, wait, what, and "god" is like: every life on Earth is you, you're the perpetrator and victim of every crime, you're god all along and life is just me over and over.

Okay, I'm streets behind on Short Treks but what's the deal with "Ephraim and Dot." Was the psuedo-50s documentary thing about the Tardigrade supposed to just be a fun animation choice or are we to take it people are now taught about this mycelial network?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t think Ephriam and Dot is supposed to be strict canon since it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. More like an in-universe educational short or something.

Well that's more what I meant, not canon in the little antics, but do they in-universe learn about the mycelial network.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

adaz posted:

It's a minor quibble but dont forget that almost every single sci-fi thing (outside of Charles Stross) ignores the fact that if FTL travel/signals are possible then causality breaks down (i.e. time travel is possible) see tachyonic antitelephone and relativity of simultaneity for more. I would deeply love for someone to explore this in tv or film but it sort of breaks human understanding to view time and events like this.

The DS9 Prophets being basically unfamiliar with the arrow of time is the best Star Trek has ever done with it just introducing aliens who can't understand causality.

"The Forever War" covers this in an interesting way. The whole story follows these elite soldiers training to fight this new alien threat called the Taurens. The humans have some tech to allow them to travel near the speed of light, but it has heavy relativistic effects. So like, they fly out to get into their first battle with the Taurens, totally massacring them there. Then they go somewhere else to fight, but because of time dilation, when they get there the Taurens have way more advanced weaponry since they've had so many more years to advance compared to the ship. Then they return home, and their whole expedition was like 2 years from the soldiers' perspective, but it's been like 30 years because of time dilation. They get home and find a world where poo poo has changed massively, governments encourage everyone to get into homosexuality, everybody loving hates vets and anyone in the military, widespread unemployment and out of control gun violence, etc. They get future shock a few times after these time-dilation trips, book examines changes in society over time an d their reception towards these old soldiers. Eventually the main character goes through like another 4 years of military service doing more near-lightspeed travel and becomes the oldest living soldier, centuries old.

In the end humanity starts getting into some transhumanism and cloning and everyone is a clone simply called Man and they can know understand Tauren. Turns outs the Tauren were all clones too and we get along great, back in the day some colony ships dissappeared due to accidents, and war-hawks back on Earth used it as an excuse to start a meaningless conflict that lasted a thousand years. Oh yeah, and the new fully clonomatic gay space clone communists establish heterosexuality-allowed colonies of old-style humans just in case their clone-evolution thing doesn't pan out. the main character can't fit in so good in the new world so he retires to one of those colonies and he finds his old army gf(she purposely took advantage of time dilation to age slower hoping they would meet up again) and they live happily ever after.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sorry, but why would the government be encouraging people to just do gay sex

Well eventually it became mandated, there was one mission where the main character was despised by his contemporary squad because they were outright heterophobic. The government was combating overpopulation and a scarcity of rations. Gay sex is way safer than any kind of hetero sex when it comes to reproduction. If you need to curb reproductive rates and can't/won't do it by raising quality of life, if you're an all-powerful government/military/corporation you can do some really repressive poo poo where you try and stop everyone from having sex or force sterilize, but then obviously everyone is just going to do it somehow anyway and it will be your downfall. People fucks, it's the first law of humanity. Seems a better idea imo, in those shoes at least, to just lean into a natural behaviour instead. I can't remember if the oppressive government bred the authorized reproductions for gayness or if they did some sci-fi poo poo to force it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That is a good point there that if they are really twins, it seems really unlikely it wouldn't have come up. Unless there's some reason they don't talk anymore, I would imagine she'd call her sister before her mom. Probably mention it to the person trying to help her.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone in Picard's era have a recollection of the AI that Disco dealt with? I can't remember if they just super-killed it or if it got shunted into a time prison or something. Could that AI have anything to do with the synth issues in Picard now?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Were there even any timeline issues if you didn't have a problem with how things looked newer than thing made a long time ago?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
every single enterprise ships looks exactly the same to me, my brain is very blurry when it comes to these kinds of details and time is no different. what I'm hearing is that no, there aren't any real continuity errors

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There were a bunch. I didn't care that much about most of them, but the one glaring one is if the Federation had "teleport across the galaxy" tech then that would've been something Voyager might have wanted to look into. Maybe they couldn't replicate it, but the idea undercuts the entire premise of that series.

_had_

Yeah, it would be weird if that tech was around and Voyager didn't have a clue. But AFAIK they came up with a contrivance that the tech isn't there, so it's not an issue. If a paper-thin contrivance is good enough to let us accept impossible technologies and solutions all the time, should be good enough to dismiss tech progression quirks. Every ship we follow habitually uncovers potentially profound new technologies and lifeforms or techniques that are never examined or mentioned again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Talking about Rick and Morty will always be infinitely worse than the worst episode of the show itself.

Lower Decks voice cast looks pretty dope, some of those people would be good if just left to improv some low-level Trek grunt work. Tawny Newsome and Eugene Cordero are always great on Comedy Bang Bang. I've always liked the concept this thing is going for, ever since those old Front Page Updates that we like janitors on the Death Star or whatever. There was some TV show before that was also that same sort of concept but it wasn't that good IIRC.

There's certainly not enough info out about this show for a reasonable person to be all "murgh i hope it gets cancelled mid-season" already. Go goof yourself with that goobery.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s an All Access exclusive showrun by a minor Rick & Morty writer who’s big claim to fame before that was running a parody twitter account, with character designs that are very clearly trying to ape the R&M look with a Trek skin stretched over it. If that’s not enough to at least make you go “hmmm” then I don’t know what to tell you, man.

Helluva lot better than when everything was aping Family Guy style and I don't hate R&M even if it was essay-tier Problems. Twitter account was pretty funny and demonstrates the kind of approach that would be good for a show like this. If anything, try and get Zack Parsons on this since Blue Stripe logs was basically already this show.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The girls might only be a few years old. Maddox might have found enough of Data's positrons to reconstitute him already.

I kind of hope not. Star Trek already had one more than any franchise ever needed of "hot 3 year olds."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Isn't the context of the Plinkett bits that for a long time people who cared that much about the minutiae and fine points of criticism were derogatorily accused of being basement dwelling, a tragedy in waiting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think they also said Mike worried conventionally delivering the copy as a bog-standard review in his natural speaking voice would be "boring."

And maybe they were right, since the approach they used gave them a pretty decent amount of low-key internet fame (or infamy).

The voice also went a long way in taking all the wind out of anyone commenting with insults focused on attacking him as a person and the notion of person analyzing itself instead of any of the critiques.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I prefer to imagine the interior of starshipsas a lot more fluid than "X and Y 'decks'" are here and there. Naw, that stuff is in flux until it is observed and only for as long as it is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

That would certainly explain the interior shots of STAR TREK

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Every once in a while I think about that time in TNG where they detach the area51 saucer from the stickman legs, for no real reason and never to mention it again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

The intention was to do that all the time, but I think it happened like twice. Once in Farpoint, once in BoBW2 (which, admittedly, was cool as poo poo)

The idea of a modular ship is cool, but the basic Trek ship design doesn't lend itself to it at all.

I liked the Matryoshka Doll Borg ship thing from First Contact, kind of wish they added another step or two though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

That was funny.

It should have been the cube spitting out a dodecahedron, which cracks open and disgorges a sphere, which a cone twists out of, then that sheds its damaged hull to become a cylinder and then, finally, one naked drone spiralling towards the Earth from high orbit.

I drew this yesterday but got sidetracked by real work

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

They seem to be going with the end of Voyager being truly cataclysmic for the Borg. Whatever Future Janeway did to them absolutely ruined them beyond recovery from all outward appearances. This also tracks with the backstory of Star Trek 2009 where Nero's ship was a Romulan mining ship outfitted with recovered tech from a dead Borg ship that then activated and self-replicated until it turned the ship into that monster of spikes and blades seen in the film before they got it under control.

Oh, well, I'm glad they did something to explain his goth spike ship. I always thought it looked a bit sinister for what was supposed to be like, a mining vessel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

Presumably it was asked to make some lovely food. I'm a lovely food eater, everything I love most is poo poo food evidently. Given the choice between a Quarter Pounder with extra mustard and the finest meal crafted personally for me by the world's best chef with the world's most desireable ingredients, I'd choose that muffukkin burg 100% of the time.

Edit: I realize the irony of the former option, given that a McDonald's Quarter Pounder technically is the world's best food prepared by the world's best chef.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starting Picard.

One of Pic's rommy buds is like "have u ever noticed a complete lack of AI in Romulan culture" and I'm like "I've noticed a complete lack of anything concrete about your culture besides 'rude vulcans.'" Also a bit convenient this one person so casually unfolds so much of this ultra-secret-double-secret organization.

Oh wow, they're doing a straight up computer hacking scene. I seem to recall plenty of moments where a science/med/engineer person needs an indeterminate amount of time to complete the technobabble task, but I'm not recalling many old Treks with a good ol' fashioned computer hacking sequence.

Picard: "Ghosts in the machine" when hackeromuwoman finds Sohj via hacking trick. AFAIK that phrase wasn't relevant here, just something "cool" to say that doesn't make sense or he's making a purposely acute pun?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 31, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When do they come up in DS9? Still got a few more seasons to go, but also my brain is full of holes.

I got some questions about loving an Android. So, I guess my first concern is, the weight. Would not an Android be significantly heavier, even if they were programmed to always support themselves to such a degree their "full weight" somehow is compensated for, seems like a bed or a couch would be a dead giveaway your partner ways 1,000 more pounds than you'd assume of a meatbag. Second, I assume orifices are lubricated, robots and oil seem pretty natural pairing, but is there semen and vaginal discharge? I suppose we don't know enough about the the datababies to know how their bellyworks are yet (Dahj was bleeding, right? How much of this gen body is organic or bio-synth?).

Also, is it just me, or does Sohj's bang-buddy looks like Spock from Disco?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 31, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was that when the Founders had already moved to a secret second homeworld? That was a great moment, classic prank.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sardikar posted:

I don't really have a horse is this race but watching Goons on this forum try and rip apart shows like a toddler rips apart a soft loaf of bread is very funny.

I liked both episodes so far too, but these forums are hardly unique in the mix of receptions. Weird dunk on people's critiques though. Star Trek nerds are drat Star Trek nerds! The GUI for ship computers and the fine differences between how far apart different Enterprises put the hotdogs n' tortilla are both common and acceptable matters of contention. You just gotta learn how to enjoy something even when everyone is being salty about it. It's not like these folks don't have valid points, but you don't gotta dislike something based on anything like that.

Delthalaz posted:

The only parts I didn’t like were the scenes with dumb romulan conspirators and borg ship sex.

The latter seemed appropriate to me, maybe a little coy. They're in the home of the Bondage Aliens!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Golden Gael posted:

and that's precisely why I worked for me - the reaction on Picard's face when he's talked down to that way is priceless, and adds a bit of much needed realism to the prim and proper attitudes of TNG. It's jarring and unexpected on purpose to illustrate just how far Starfleet has moved past this crazy old man. Some might argue we'd evolve past such parlances by 2400 or that it's out of line with how Gene saw the future, but honestly gently caress Gene's conflict-free first few years of TNG because that's never going to be how humans act even in the most idyllic settings.

Starfleet has never been more than the individuals on the ground who choose to uphold the values or not, all the way back to Ronald Tracey.

They're both military, technically sailors! I don't give a gently caress how enlightened your culture is, people in the military cuss as if they were in the military (because they are). 2020 is already a pretty late year for anyone to still have their panties in a bunch over non-bigoted language.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The idea that Romulans are androids would be a bit much for me to believe after how long they have been in the franchise. Now, maybe the secret organization’s leader could be an android, but there’s no way they could have kept that kind of secret for centuries.

Wouldn't buy them being Androids, but it seems like it'd be well in their tech power to synthesize a species. Totally organic, but synthetic origin. IRL it's been proposed we have similarly "seeded" origins

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ridiculous amount of precedent in human history alone, just look at the US intelligence apparatus and how CIA-backed Syrians are fighting Pentagon-backed Syrians. If anything, finally the species whose entire thing is intrigue and spycraft finally have some actual intrigue.

Tell me more, I knew our agencies were funding and fighting proxy wars, but I figured we were at least doing them against other nations, not ourselves.

zoux posted:

In the 24th century, humanity has evolved beyond cusses, especially the mortal ones. Well except calling Cardassians spoon heads.

I think growing beyond cusses, something attainable in our lifetimes, would simply be not including good words like gently caress, poo poo, piss, rear end, drat, hell, shoot, crap as "bad words." Actual curses and bad words should be reserved for hateful slurs and actively harmful language, not language seasoning.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 31, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

"Listen, you dumbass piece of poo poo," spits Dot between clenched teeth, "we all saw the sick poo poo you did to that hooker. You want to walk? Shut the gently caress up, and get the gently caress in line. We got a job to do."

Wakko chokes on hot tears. "Ah gently caress, Dot, ah poo poo, I didn't know the bitch would squeal on me. That Duke motherfucker's gonna kill me, Dot!"

Yakko slaps him across the face, hard. Wakko's snot mixes with blood as he sniffles, prostrate on the floor. "You hosed up, you little bastard. You get one last chance, or I'm tossing your little f***** rear end out of this water tower, you dig?"

Ah come on, removing the cuss words, this is still a jarring and discordant change in tone.

Sometimes I want to have a child simply as a vector to continue my lifelong battle against the tyranny of people who make cuss words bad. Going to teach him the cusses and back his rear end up when his teachers give him poo poo for it. We'll cuss our way to the supreme court!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Janeway: In my estimation, Species 8472 posed a greater threat than the Borg.
Arturis: WHO WERE YOU TO MAKE THAT DECISION?! A stranger to this quadrant!

Well eat poo poo Arturis, you've no more authority to make a genocide decision than Janeway is. We supposed to poll locals when doing a genocide? A genocide seems like it's always wrong. Killing also seems wrong but almost everyone gets really horny for killing if you hint at "self-defense."

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 2, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

This was the first episode that I didn't like, other than the medical hologram, and it made me really concerned about damage this show might do to the setting. It's long-established that the Federation does not use money (except I guess for external trade) and that earth is a kind of "paradise" post-class conflict and post-capitalism. People no longer work because they are compelled to by necessity, nor are their lives shaped by the profit motive. Yet now we're seeing the Borg complain that everyone wants to exploit them for "profit" (implicitly including the Federation), working class dockworkers complaining about crappy replicators, and now much worse: several explicit discussion of money: hiring a ship, it being expensive. Having someone live in a remote desert house is fine, I guess, but only if she was living there because she was depressed and wanted to get away from the world. However, when she talked about Picard's fancy chateau and his heirloom furniture, she was expressing what can only be described as class resentment against Picard's generational wealth and privilege. That absolutely should not exist on Earth at this point in Star Trek and I am actually surprised at how offended I am.

Yeah man, I've been mostly okay with everything so far, I even enjoyed a lot of DISCO, but those bits in this episode really cast a kind of nasty direct shade on fedlife that is really souring. Heck, I can even by the corruption of fed values if Earthfolk still live in a sheltered utopia, that's "dark" without just being trek-breaking.

Also, after Game of Thrones, I can do without sibling-sex-tension forever.

Blagh, they're doubling down on this money poo poo. This is some Firefly 'ing at the end right here. Honestly, I'd be able to forgive more of this if it was a Ferengi ship, or maybe there's a Ferengi brokering the pilot/ship deal. Super weird for fedfolk to be all ferengi about everything. Also, calling it now, Agnes is a mole for the Federation at first but she learns to really care and makes a sacrifice to prove her loyalty in the end.

I really enjoyed the different EMHs of the captain. For that first scene, I was like, really, do we need another pale beardy man, it's already hard enough to tell them apart! I love the Borg stuff so far, and I hope they keep the River Tam to a minimum. I like Sohj, but definitely see them kind of angling that route.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 7, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

marktheando posted:

Sure coded as losing her job and living in a shack I can go along with, and I can get not liking that. I'm a little perplexed by people saying this is Trek breaking though.

Part of the core premise of Star Trek's setting is that for "us," little peoples on Earth, had grown beyond the social problems of capitalist caste systems. Rafi loses her job because of some military bureaucratic politics fuckery. That sucks, but doesn't break Trek. She's really pissed at Picard for kind of running away and leaving her in his wake, and then never visiting her in the intervening time is a real dick move, so that alone could explain a lot of her bitterness towards him. They made it a point, however, to show that losing her job left her in living conditions she felt were humiliating, while highlighting the extravagance of Picard's estate. That, plus the whole "grunt workers get poo poo replicator food for no reason besides dystopia" is really painting Federation life and values of the people as different than in JL's old show. They are deliberately showing that the Trek world is grittier and and less humane than all those times when Picard gives a speech about humanity and the federation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did she arrive in a little black shuttlecraft or just a Big Brother style teleport-in?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's curious that a show that played so fast and loose with... essentially every single component about itself, even within the same episode or scene, eventually became to be associated with a fandom obsessed with minutiae and canon adherence.

Maybe treating canon as gospel is the right approach, insofar as the gospels are mutable texts open to a wide array of interpretation and were originally written by people who had not actually ever seen or experienced the events or lectures they described, but they felt they got the jist enough to write about it just hearing about it from other folks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Believe it or not, I'm not that much of a masochist.

I did however invent a drinking game for Discovery season 3 if anyone wants to play along at home.

It's called Power Kicks and Power Words and you'll need a low alcohol bottle (I recommend sake or soju, something light and refreshing) and a proper spirit (I recommend bourbon or rye, because it's my game and that's what I like).

For every Power Kick you take a shot of sake/whatever, and for every Power Word you take a shot of whiskey. Power Words are stirring speeches that lean on words like "power", "strength", "faith" or any other agreed upon words of vague dramatic import. However, in lieu of a shot, a line from "faith of the heart" may be sung in full if you're unable to consume large amounts of hard liquor.

You left out what "Power Kicks" are, and also, wouldn't this game work on Trek in general? edit: Duh, you meant a literal powerful kick. I will have to pay attention to that, I hadn't noticed kick power in the past seasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who checked out of Altered Carbon at the same moment. What a bizarre turn for the story, even if it wasn't his sister. Detective or shows based around a mystery are not very satisfying when it's some rear end-pull character out of nowhere like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OK, now that's a vehicle I can get behind.