Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't expect Picard will be much better but unless everybody involved is completely and utterly bad (or else being overruled by somebody truly awful much higher up at CBS) I can't imagine it will be as disagreeable as STD was at it's worst. I mean, what little I've read doesn't inspire much confidence in much the same way what I've read about the recent Star Wars movies didn't, but there's no way they could ignore all the people out there who were fed up with the reheated BSG edgelord stuff. Even STD's second season was trying to back away from that but now apparently the Federation's turned evil in the future so who the gently caress knows anymore.

Star Trek was always my first love, but now finally I find it difficult to get excited for more despite P-Stew's involvement. Years and years of increasingly banal, gutless and surprisingly off-brand takes on the material combined with the loudest fan voices outside of these sheltered forums being at least Nazi-adjacent have worn my interest to a nub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever seen her in that one Bond movie, can someone point me to reasons why everyone loves Michelle Yeoh because I feel like I'm missing something

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

And Crazy Rich Asians, and Kung-Fu Panda 2, and Sunshine. Saying you've only seen her in Tomorrow Never Dies is kinda like saying you've only seen Patrick Stewart in Masterminds and you're baffled by why people like him so much.

This is literally why I asked thank you

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I know I certainly love it when people come into a thread in one of the only decent places to talk about Star Trek on the internet and declare previous pages worth of interactions whining while contributing nothing themselves but lovely jpgs and gifs! I think it'll be just fine with or without you.

Oh and Teal and Orange as a thing were overused and played out by 2010 at the latest, it's by no means a dealbreaker but lol @ it being "refreshing" to see it turn up anywhere now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there actually anybody around here that doesn't want to be pleasantly surprised? I mean I thought it went without saying

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So yeah that was okay, nothing mind-blowing but certainly not awful like Discovery was. I'm pleased that it seems to be a rebuttal of all the hard choices bullshit we've grown to become tired of and my only real complaints are nitpicky bullshit.

For what it's worth I was also personally offended by the fact that Boston still seems to exist in the 24th century

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So far not one person in this thread has panned this or even said "meh," not even Tighclops. This bodes well.

Also the imdb ratings for episode one dayum...

Everybody, even me, is making GBS threads their pants because of nostalgia and because the bar has been set so unbelievably low for years now that "hey it's Picard and he's back and he's going to do something about all this depressing poo poo! because PRINCIPALS" is basically next level stuff. It's refreshing as hell to watch a new Star Trek thing and not immediately feel like whomever made it would rather be doing something else. Is it perfect? No, but that doesn't matter right now because of the aforementioned bar being located somewhere below the earth's mantle. If I had one major complaint so far it's that unless you're a Trek nerd I'm not terribly sure what you'd get out of the first episode of this series.

rear end in a top hat NERD NITPICK ZONE

Did they modify the Discovery-era shuttlecraft design or just lift the model because it already looked like a 24th century shuttle? When they took the shuttle mockups from Star Trek V at least they cut them up and gave them new nacelles to make them fit.

Mars is still on fire? fire?!

The CGI Enterprise-D looked crappier than the one from the final episode of Enterprise

But compared to "why are the main characters committing war crimes again" it's like lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's a Q reference

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, viewership numbers are starting to trickle in, and Picard's first episode was the most watched single broadcast in the history of CTV Sci-Fi/Space Channel in Canada. God only knows how well its doing on Amazon Prime and CBS Access if it did this well on a Canadian basic cable broadcast network.

I was talking about the show with my buddies at work and twice a random customer overheard us and came up to us asking if the show was good, people are hearing about Picard, there is buzz around the show that there simply wasn't for Discovery

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Trump Derangement Syndrom. She is mad that popular culture is making fun of her big wet orange god emperor, as pop culture is want to do of people who become President, even when they don't hold monstrously cartoonish worldviews. It does not compute to her that Trek has always been a mirror to its modern real world political landscape, and Picard and Discovery are a mirror to post-2016 Hellworld politics.

People like that lady have caused me to quantify "I think Discovery was really bad" with "but I'm not a nazi" whenever it comes up in polite conversation

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

On that note, sign me up as excited to see more spaceship battles in a Trek show with current VFX abilities, especially if we get more of a dogfighting feel as smaller ships fight each other.

This is incredibly dumb and lame

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Watch loving everything

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Remember the rule of first season. It's always bad.

At some point in the 30 years since next-gen started this stopped being an acceptable excuse.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AntherUslessPoster posted:

When the s1 came out I said to my only pure trekkie friend 'If they gently caress it up, its okay. We still got some Trek after all these years'.

I absolutely do understand where you're coming from, I can remember having the same conversation with my trekkie mom back when I was a teenager and Enterprise was new on TV. "Well, even bad Star Trek is better than most other crap!" we'd say to each other. I finally gave up on that show sometime during it's third season, I don't think she ever finished it either despite crushing pretty hard on Scott Bakula since his Quantum Leap days.

I collect Transformers and vintage space Lego sets just for the nostalgia value, I won't judge somebody for enjoying something "the wrong way" or for purely emotional reasons, but being over 30 now I find I can't apply the same standards I have for 12 inch action figures and piles of plastic doodads I couldn't afford when I was little to modern hour-long science fiction dramas that go out of their way to paint themselves as seriously as possible.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If what we've heard about STD's third season is true then the Federation goes fash eventually regardless of whatever Picard does in this show

I agree that "The Federation is corrupt and lovely now! Look at how topical we are!" sucks. I don't need the future to be perfect but part of Trek's idealism has always been that these were institutions not entirely like ours, they're actually good and worth keeping. We've only seen one episode so far and while I didn't hate it or anything the more I think about it the less interested I am in seeing where this goes. Maybe they'll actually "explore" why everything is hosed and why having some ideals is a good thing, or maybe it'll just be more edgelord navel gazing. I think that if they had done this show 15 years ago people would be less skeptical but they've been hitting that "maybe better things aren't possible?" angle for so long now that it's just exhausting to think about more of it, even with the nostalgia goggles.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Worth saying though, is that even if I don't like that the Federation had to lose its moral compass for the story they want to tell to work, I'll accept it if they create can something meaningful and coherent.

Coherent being the operative word.

At least Picard isn't the one getting cynical, if the whole show is explicit about needing to get back to something utopian in the face of xenophobia and so on then at least it'll be something positive.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

I like rlm more than most here and yeah that Picard review was poo poo. Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?) and Mike saying he did t know what was going on at all. Both of them claim to be big fans. They desperately want Star Trek to just be tng again. Forever. Never anything new. New cinematography? Bad. Better sets? Bad. People acting like humans and not weird roddenbury pretend humans? Bad. Fight choreography? Bad. I get it. We all want 30 years of our lives back. To go back to the 90’s. But they wallow in it unashamedly. This isn’t my Star Trek when I was thinner and had more hair!

I thought their review was unnecessarily harsh and nitpicky in places but I don't think most people who are weary of the setting and the story beats so far just want to go back to the 90's. One thing they're right about is that we've effectively seen the first 10 minutes of a movie and it's still early to judge.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Fan service aside, Picards dream of Data being on the D makes sense from an in universe perspective.

The time of the Ent-D was the height of the Federations ideals. Towards the end of its life and then on the Ent-E was a period that saw increased militarization. The Borg, the Dominion War, then the attack on Mars and destruction of Romulus. All shook the Federation out of its comfort zone.

It's easy to do your best when things are comfortable. It's much harder when a large chunk of your civilisations resources are going to war, whole Federation worlds have been conquered and liberated, and millions have died.

I'm coming around to the idea that we do need to see the Federation stumbling. It's painful, because Star Trek is about optimism for the future. Optimism is good, however naive optimism isn't secure. Merely hoping the future will be a better place doesn't make that so, we will live in the future we actively build.

It's easy to criticize the Federation for turning away from helping Romulus. Despite their challenges they still have so much capacity to help. As Picard says it is downright criminal to do so.

It's obvious, but needs restating now and forever. We live in a time where overall global living standards and industrial capacity are at all time highs, yet so many still suffer and there are many amongst us, many who will be watching this show agreeing with Picard who say that in our time we don't have the resources to help. That we need to pull back and look after ourselves. That things will just work themselves out. Sure it would be good if we could but not yet, it has to wait for another day.

I'm hoping this show is going to be about arguing that today is that day.

The bright spot in Picard was Picard acting like Picard and literally yelling how hosed up it is to be an rear end in a top hat directly into the camera. Like I said, if they hadn't been pushing the angle that the Federation is or can be corrupted since at least Insurrection this would all feel much fresher.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I can't remember the theme tune except that the flute from the inner light is in it slightly

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought the swearing in Picard was basically fine, it's not like Discovery where the entire episode grinds to a halt just so they can say that something is "loving cool".

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll always remember watching Generations as a kid and Data saying "Oh poo poo!"

That was awesome, because the loving Enterprise was about to crash into a planet. If there were ever a time for anybody on TNG to drop an "Oh poo poo!" it was right then and there, and for it to be Data was hilarious.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh Christ I hope not.

The Borg were meant to be what caused those Romulan bases to go missing in The Neutral Zone...

(yes this would probably be really lovely)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CaveGrinch posted:

Dude. Nobody gives a gently caress about your completely unrelated show so you can once again poo poo on DISCO which you don’t even watch.

And Picard, which you said you just stopped watching to go watch Punisher. What the gently caress is your life that you even care? This isn’t your thread.

Get. A. Life.

lol you told someone else in the star trek thread to get a life ahahhaa

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the LCARS stuff they've come up with for the new show looks like it makes less sense than the old stuff

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

The displays were never really meant to be seen up close except for featured shots, it's just set dressing.
I think the new ones look fine?
If you want all the background details that you can only see on hitting pause to make sense, I got some bad news for you.
Half the buttons in Alien are just random sanskrit there's keys for "levitating bliss" or some poo poo.

I'm well aware that LCARS is not actually a usable GUI despite many attempts by fans to make it work over the years, I said it was better at looking like it made sense than the jumble from Picard Show so far. It reminds me of random background textures used by the Star Trek Online in it's first year, which while I suppose is period appropriate for the show just looks lame.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there has to be a way to tell relevant star trek stories that don't involve implying that no actually things don't get better for humanity and the future is as lovely as the present

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Even Ross worked with Section 31 :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
did you watch the movie

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Fans who want utopian Trek are living in a Fukuyama "end of history" mindset.

Yes, these show has their big problems, and prestige TV has run its course, but I just find the idea that Trek shouldn't be about a broader struggle to be a 90s mindset.

This is insulting and stupid.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I just hope all this poo poo goes someplace positive in the end

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'd be almost fine with that scene if the replicators didn't look exactly like lovely microwaves complete with the bell when the food is ready.

It's the late 24th century and their matter-replicators look like easy bake ovens and people use them to make reheated swanson's hungry man dinners

so relatable

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I hear the DQ is a good place for u kno what

the Dick Quadrant

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
More like Jerk Sisko am I right hehn hehn hernnn

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't believe a word of that horseshit and neither should you guys

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I bet Brooks would come back if they threw a dumptruck or ten of cash his way but it doesn't matter because it's not real

it's a faaaaake

so much nerd poo poo online is either nazis or nazi adjacent I don't trust any rumour anymore until I see pictures or footage

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if you don't believe they're pulling everything out of their asses just like always

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Literally nobody hates Pike and they'd be stupid not to latch onto one of the few positive things to come out of STD, especially since they're fine throwing money around

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ok I've started laughing at things I don't think they want me laughing at this episode

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think I pulled something from laughing at commodore blue brothers sunglasses last night loving aaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Do we know the name of the millennium falcon in the show, I can't remember if they mentioned it

also I have no idea what the hell is going on with the Borg cube or what they were talking about but I found it pretty boring even though I knew that dude was Hugh