Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Crockery integrity is down to 80%, divert power to shelf alignment

This is genuinely a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rhyno posted:

Does Star Trek have an afterlife? How do they reconcile Tasha A already being there and then 20 years later Tasha B shows up.

Edit: Actually based on the time travel they might have shown up in Trek Heaven at roughly the same time but Tasha B has 20 years worth of life lived.

Jeremy Bearimy, baby!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I hope in addition to the prime universe they introduce a choice and select univere

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

Jeremy Bearimy, baby!

:( *sigh*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Not being a Discovery watcher, I went to Memory Alpha to learn about the Constitution class there and, well, Memory Alpha does not disappoint.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not being a Discovery watching, I went to Memory Alpha to learn about the Constitution class there and, well, Memory Alpha does not disappoint.

You can almost see the gnashing of their teeth through the writing.

Hot take: Disco-prise is awesome and I like it better than the original model. And the bridge set was incredible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Janeway: In my estimation, Species 8472 posed a greater threat than the Borg.
Arturis: WHO WERE YOU TO MAKE THAT DECISION?! A stranger to this quadrant!

Well eat poo poo Arturis, you've no more authority to make a genocide decision than Janeway is. We supposed to poll locals when doing a genocide? A genocide seems like it's always wrong. Killing also seems wrong but almost everyone gets really horny for killing if you hint at "self-defense."

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 2, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

kidkissinger posted:

was anyone else really bothered by the shelves in Dahj's apartment not being level? what kind of loving future is this??!?!?

they're using an anamorphic lens to film the show. the lens basically condenses the shot on to the film, and then when it's projected (or just scanned for post-production or w/e) it's stretched out to be the normal aspect ratio. those lenses also have two big artifacts to them: straight horizontal lines tend to warp (which is happening here), and lens flares get horizontally stretched (probably happens in the show, it's all over the place in discovery and jjtrek, and it's very common to see in a lot of "cinematic" movies).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

piratepilates posted:

they're using an anamorphic lens to film the show. the lens basically condenses the shot on to the film, and then when it's projected (or just scanned for post-production or w/e) it's stretched out to be the normal aspect ratio. those lenses also have two big artifacts to them: straight horizontal lines tend to warp (which is happening here), and lens flares get horizontally stretched (probably happens in the show, it's all over the place in discovery and jjtrek, and it's very common to see in a lot of "cinematic" movies).

I'm assuming he was joking and referring to the point where the shelves meet not being 100% perfectly aligned, not the barrel distortion of the lens.

But the most important part is the joking.

kidkissinger, please tell everyone you were joking. dear god please tell them or this will never end.

e: gently caress it, forget the shelves look at that bent rear end cupboard! bullshit production design. just pure garbage.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm assuming he was joking and referring to the point where the shelves meet not being 100% perfectly aligned, not the barrel distortion of the lens.

kidkissinger, please tell everyone you were joking. dear god please tell them or this will never end.

e: gently caress it, forget the shelves look at that bent rear end cupboard! bullshit production design. just pure garbage.

Just pretend it's a neat background to show how something is slightly off with her whole existence.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

socialsecurity posted:

Just pretend it's a neat background to show how something is slightly off with her whole existence.

Thank you! I'll update my "head canon" accordingly.

:suicide:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

kidkissinger posted:

was anyone else really bothered by the shelves in Dahj's apartment not being level? what kind of loving future is this??!?!?

No, imperfection is beautiful?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Not having any of your shelves and cabinets and frames aligned properly is the authentic living experience for most 20-somethings the moment they get their first apartment. All Dahj was missing was a bunch of string lights.

Thankfully, glow in the dark Sublime posters are banned in the Federation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nine-gear crow posted:

They do know where Soji is. Narek is a Zhat Vash operative. His plan is gently caress to Soji into whatever scheme his superiors are running. "Rizzo" was sent to bring in Dahj and she went with "strike team and black bag" as her #1 option and it failed spectacularly. Narek's version is currently up in the air on its failure state. But Rizzo wants to try her "just black bag her" plan again on Soji because... uh... second time's the charm? :shrug:

I'm talking about Picard and the Tall Shears. They see that Dahj and Soji were talking to each other, so just figure out the name of the other android and call her up.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that I think i will EVER come up (though with (minor cast spoiler that has been in the previews) Seven of Nine in the show there's a chance):
But what does "no artificial life forms in the Federation" mean in terms of The Doctor?

He's obviously unique when it comes to holograms (as far as we know) thanks to the mobile emitter. No other hologram has the freedom he does, though at this point it seems it would be trivial to install holo emitters basically everywhere on Earth and in every Starfellt ship.

It's also shown that apparently all of his model of EMH (and, if we're lucky, all of the Andy Dick models) were basically made into slave labor in dilithium mines (seriously, WTF? Why not just...keep them off and delete the programs?) Though then there's the one scene at the end of "Author, Author" where the EMH slaves are all passing around the holonovel The Doctor wrote, so maybe there was a EMH slave revolt?

That seems to sort of be the same thing we saw of that brief scene on Mars with regards to the androids. There was a room full of de-activated androids, and it looks like they activated them on on as-needed basis to perform task XYZ, literally the same as a non-sentient robot. Sort of seems pointless...like, Maddox and his team spend ll this time to replicate Dr.Soong's ability to create SENTIENT artificial life with full AI, emotions, etc... and they then proceed to, seemingly, not take advantage of any of that.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I just want to see Robert Picardo play The Doctor again.

I completely skipped Voyager so the whole "forced holo AIs into mining" is loving wild to me given where it felt like the 90s productions were trying to land their depiction of the Federation, but I guess it does make the context around the Utopia revolt scene a little more palatable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A bunch of the good writers went to DS9, which was always the secondary show. When that show ended, some writers went to Voyager, saw what the writers room was like and peaced out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

Hot take: Disco-prise is awesome and I like it better than the original model. And the bridge set was incredible.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The most important part is, Disco is shot in Toronto, Canada with care and expertise while the Picard show was slapped together in some other place/studio.

(Note to Lizard Combatant: I am joking).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

The most important part is, Disco is shot in Toronto, Canada with care and expertise while the Picard show was slapped together in some other place/studio.

We're good.

Can't argue with that bridge set though, they knocked that one out of the park.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not being a Discovery watcher, I went to Memory Alpha to learn about the Constitution class there and, well, Memory Alpha does not disappoint.

it did slightly irritate me that the constitution holo above picard's head was this one and not the actual 60's model, but not enough to write a screed about it :|

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The close-up look of the Mars facilities does seem to make sense with what we heard about the disaster- a relatively low body count for a planet-wide one since the facilities seemed to be heavily automated and Mars itself isn't heavily inhabited, but used basically as a big manufacturing zone.

Since nobody in the Federation has to work, the shipyards would have been set up like any other Federation habitat. Good replicators, comfortable, spacious quarters, standard Fed civil design aesthetics everywhere. Children of Mars shows this design style off nicely. How beautiful was that school ?

The problem comes in when you consider that that sort of environment is not conducive to the state of mind needed to work hard shifts in a dangerous industrial environment. You can't bust your rear end all day in paradise, humans just aren't wired like that. Accident rates were probably higher than expected, and productivity lower. So over time they changed over to what we saw on screen: something more like what you'd find on an oil rig or other isolated industrial facility. That would also explain why they can't spend their weekends back on Earth - working at the shipyards is a commitment, it's going to be tough and take tough people to get the very important work done.

Working as a team under adverse conditions builds camaraderie and promotes a culture of safety and productivity. You bust rear end for a year, eating food from food printers, not replicated 3-star meals. You'll wear hard hats and other safety gear, you'll live - and think - in an industrial mode. When returning workers give recruitment speeches they can talk about how the crew bonds last a lifetime, and about the sense of pride when a ship you built lifts off for the first time. There's probably a waiting list of people who want to do it just for the character building opportunity and the bragging rights; "Oh the USS Andoria pulled a crippled cruise liner away from a black hole ? Let me tell you how many times we had to re-align her structural integrity fields so she could pull that off..."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Binary Logic posted:

You just know that guy in blue in the back is a great character with lots of doofy but relatable moments and a sweet romantic arc with the ship's xenolibrarian that ends in heartbreak.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

HD DAD posted:

I don't know about better, but it's definitely awesome, probably the best they could have done without a straight copy of the original, and the bridge is an amazing update, making it look in line with modern sensibilities while keeping the 60s style.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the Disco Ent bridge set is great, honestly i mainly just dislike the angled struts - they really don't mesh well in my mind with the rest of the ship.

edit: I always dug "Data doin stuff real fast on a LCARS terminal" scenes so this was fun to see

Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 2, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Having a pair of same gloves bugged me a little bit this scene - they are totally not usable for capacitive touch screens :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't know what kind of screen that is.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crusader posted:

the Disco Ent bridge set is great, honestly i mainly just dislike the angled struts - they really don't mesh well in my mind with the rest of the ship.

edit: I always dug "Data doin stuff real fast on a LCARS terminal" scenes so this was fun to see

I thought it was interesting that F8 went sad suicide route too, like he knew it was wrong and had no choice and thought this would end the pain.

I thought it was mostly accepted that while Earth is paradise other Federation colonies don't have to follow that model if they don't want to. So if you want to create a charter planet ala 1620's Mass. Bay Colony go loving nuts.

My only complaint about episode 2 is that it felt exposition heavy, I would like to start moving the plot a bit please.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought it was mostly accepted that while Earth is paradise other Federation colonies don't have to follow that model if they don't want to. So if you want to create a charter planet ala 1620's Mass. Bay Colony go loving nuts.

something I can’t recall how well it’s been established or discussed: how much of the prime directive applies to warp-capable member civilizations of the Federation? My sense, not backed up by anything at all, in that the charter and general civil rights apply, but beyond that a planet could be somewhat regressive in the eyes of 24th century humanity, since the Federation does try to pride itself on Vulcan-style infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

Totally understood if no writer or even a writer’s guide wanted to open the fan of worms laying down exactly how autonomous Federation worlds can be though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

it did slightly irritate me that the constitution holo above picard's head was this one and not the actual 60's model, but not enough to write a screed about it :|

The gently caress is wrong with you?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you?

I’ll be fine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the LCARS stuff they've come up with for the new show looks like it makes less sense than the old stuff

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just want to say I think the new 24th century Starfleet uniforms are pretty sharp.

Also that the Disco Enterprise uniforms are an eyesore.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I’d like the Pike Enterprise uniforms more if they weren’t so obviously re-dyed standard Disco unis. The Disco uniforms in general look pretty bad because they’re so form-fitting. They remind me of the early TNG spandex suits that gave everyone back pain. I can’t imagine anyone other than Doug Jones is comfortable in them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I’d like the Pike Enterprise uniforms more if they weren’t so obviously re-dyed standard Disco unis. The Disco uniforms in general look pretty bad because they’re so form-fitting. They remind me of the early TNG spandex suits that gave everyone back pain. I can’t imagine anyone other than Doug Jones is comfortable in them.

There's a difference between form fitting and being sized too small. What exactly looks uncomfortable about the disco uniforms?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I feel like the LCARS stuff they've come up with for the new show looks like it makes less sense than the old stuff

If so then that's an accomplishment, because while it looked cool, TNG's LCARS interface was nigh incomprehensible itself.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

If so then that's an accomplishment, because while it looked cool, TNG's LCARS interface was nigh incomprehensible itself.

Years ago when the star trek experience thing was still at the vegas hilton I threw away an embarrassing amount of money to spend a ton of time on the recreation of the enterprise-d bridge (which is supposedly a 1:1 recreation of the original) and I gotta say.. in person it also makes no sense.

There are whole buttons that take up like the size of my phone that say things like "navigation" or "LIBRARY". And then a weird maybe circle in circle thing that has 40 individual buttons sliced through it. Now making user interfaces for naval ships that make no sense and kill people is very on brand for the real life navy but come on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adaz posted:

Years ago when the star trek experience thing was still at the vegas hilton I threw away an embarrassing amount of money to spend a ton of time on the recreation of the enterprise-d bridge (which is supposedly a 1:1 recreation of the original)

It's not, it's like 20 percent smaller.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The displays were never really meant to be seen up close except for featured shots, it's just set dressing.
I think the new ones look fine?
If you want all the background details that you can only see on hitting pause to make sense, I got some bad news for you.
Half the buttons in Alien are just random sanskrit there's keys for "levitating bliss" or some poo poo.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Timby posted:

It's not, it's like 20 percent smaller.

LAS VEGAS LIED TO ME?????

Well good to know. Still was great (and I miss it)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

The displays were never really meant to be seen up close except for featured shots, it's just set dressing.
If you want all the background details that you can only see on hitting pause to make sense, I got some bad news for you.
Half the buttons in Alien are just random sanskrit there's keys for "levitating bliss" or some poo poo.

Yeah, I recall the production team on Enterprise having a mild panic attack when the show entered the HD era and suddenly all the tiny text they wrote for set dressing was legible on screen for the first time ever, including an entire up-to-his-death bio for Jonathan Archer they wrote for In A Mirror Darkly which they had no intention of ever being seen and they had to go "Uh... Yeah that's all canon then I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Lizard Combatant posted:

If someone wants a somewhat realistic portrayal of UIs and poo poo they can watch The Expanse.
ST never made sense in UI designs, though I've heard rumors that some bridge arrangements were introduced into real navy ships (not the stupid touch steering, thats just idiotic)