Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any special promotions for CBS All Access in the US? From what I can tell there's some sort of trial period available. Also I see it's just $6/month with ads, so that's cool (I had assumed it would be Netflix pricing). I hate the idea of all these splintered paid streaming services... but for a show I'm really interested in, two months for around the price of a movie ticket doesn't seem too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e: wrong thread

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm reaching but maybe it's just Starfleet that has lost its way while the Federation/society as a whole still looks like a peaceful utopian future?? Picard's conflict is portrayed as being specifically with Starfleet. I guess the Synth ban and Romulan crisis affect regular civilian life though...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What I think is exacerbating the perceived pacing issues is that we're still hitting plot points that were pieced together by fans a year ago. Like people were saying it's probably about the Romulans, I bet Picard has a falling-out with Starfleet, he'll get a crew together for a rogue mission that will uphold his principles, etc.

Not that the pacing issues aren't there, but it doesn't help that we just barely got to the point where the above premise is set on the actual show.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CaptainSkinny posted:

But wouldn't he still need a mechanic instead of a doctor? Otherwise he's a clone, not a robot. Something would be different.
2x06 made it seem like his body behaves the exact same way that a normal body would in a trauma scenario, except the defibrilator throws a few sparks. It was... quite lazily written, almost as if they never throught the whole synthetic thing through!!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point we're going to be in 2024 until the last episode.

Where else could this story possibly go after they get back to the 24th century except to wrap everything up?
yeah and it's hella wack because it could be argued that the whole draw of this series was to see what's up in the Prime timeline after years of Kelvinverse stuff :mad:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It is very on-brand for this show to write the bizarre genie bottle summon thing and and then have characters react in shock when it doesn't work. Like the whole concept could have been dropped and the net result of the scene, plot-wise, would be the same. I assume it'll come up again and work, but this is very typical of the overall chunky storytelling and agonizing pacing of this series, unfortunately.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Okay so Q wanted to teach Picard to forgive himself about his mother. So he gave Picard a tour of an alternate present, "the end of the road not taken"... in hopes that Picard would steal the Borg Queen, the Borg Queen would correctly identify the point of timeline divergence, and the crew would successfully time travel by their own means to correct that divergence. All so Picard could voluntarily leave the key in the wall, in the past. That is a hell of a lot of variables to hinge a plan on (one might call it a "very poorly-written" plan) but okay! And I still can't figure out the point of anything Q was doing in 2024.

SNW actually felt like a show, so that was nice!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol did anyone else keep thinking of Jim Carrey as Kirk from that In Living Color sketch?? maybe it was the way this guy was holding his jaw or something, haha

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
also weren't Klingons supposed to be from the planet "Kling" at some point? Not sure if this was actually uttered onscreen before Qonos/Kronos, or if I just read it on a like a trading card or "Star Trek Compendium" or somesuch. I assume they got away from that cuz it sounded too much like a silly '60s thing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just re-subscribed and got caught up. Was there a problem with the video in the first episode? It looked really washed out, much like how an HDR signal looks on an SDR screen. The effect persisted for me on different devices, using both an actual 4K HDR display and an older 1080p plasma. I messed with a bunch of stuff but then episode 2 looked normal, so I don't think the problem was my setup!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TulliusCicero posted:

Picard's primary issue for me is that it only knows how to "HEY REMEMBER STAR TREK?!" and then every plot thread is "SEASON BIG BAD IS EVIL AND MEAN, WANTS TO gently caress UP WHOLE GALAXY (somehow)?"
Picard S2 seemed to be going for some kind of record when they introduced and resolved a galaxy-ending threat in like, the last 10 minutes of the season. It was truly something to behold.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
S3 has plenty of stupid to roll one’s eyes at, but the high-level incoherence of S2 is unmatched. S3 is schlock with a potential ceiling of, let’s say The Force Awakens.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
good: Shaw geeking out with LaForge

bad: Shaw literally using the term "geek out"

It's becoming clear that Jurati played a crucial role in the ecosystem of PicardShow's writing room, serving as the de facto Joss Whedon Character. With her gone, we end up with Quippy Worf and "Excellent use of the word 'burgle'" Riker.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Holy gently caress it's Gul Dukat in Pah Wraith form, because that's the dumbest loving thing imaginable, because this show seems to think Picard and Gul Dukat were enemies, even though they never loving met, that would be loving Gul Madred you absolute idiots.
lol yes, my big dumb theory is that Pah-Wraith Dukat uses Jack Crusher to create CHANGELING LOCUTUS from Picard’s old body. Shaw’s rant in the bar was foreshadowing, you see.

And like why not, at this point I just wanna see ‘em go full shlock. Do the Trek equivalent of Super Shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mooseontheloose posted:

I want to be clear, I've enjoyed most of this season and I even enjoyed the last episode, you aren't alone in that.

But if I am being fair my criticism this season are:
1) Using four episodes to tell two or three episodes of content.
2) Missing opportunities to explore the psychology of the characters/modern Federation more.

I guess this isn't a criticism but a thinking things through thing...if this were Season 1 I think it would of been received better and would of tightened up Season 1 a lot more with the ideas. Season 2 had ideas but barfed them all over the place in an incoherent mess.

Agreed, there's so much stupid but I'm able to enjoy it in a schlocky pro-wrestling type of way. Jack's reveal is eye-rolly but at least follows the dumb logic of this show. Feels good for the plot to actually move, but man they really bulldozed through a ton of exposition that could have sustained a few episodes in better-paced show.

I'll admit that the end really got me. About a year ago my parents sold the house I grew up in. I spent a few frantic nights with them clearing/throwing everything out and stripping the place bare, trying to get it "broom clean" and avoid any penalties with the timing of the sale, and all that. A stressful ordeal with no time to stop and emotionally process.

The TNG crew walking onto the bridge and turning the lights on, oof... I think that was a lot of processing all at once :smith: :unsmith: ...teared up a bit, yes I know I'm being manipulated and this show didn't earn it, shut up :mad: