Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

For international reference, Disco is on Netflix here in Germany, and Picard is supposed to be Amazon Prime I think. I haven't checked in awhile but after the first few Short Treks episodes were released, they still didn't get posted on German Netflix. That might not be the case anymore though.

Anyway: I have every expectation that Picard as a show will be bad and disappointing and continue this lovely era of Gritty Edgelord Trek that Discovery started, but that Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan will be great. So :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jerusalem posted:

Wait hang on, what? Isn't Discovery set before TOS?

The Enterprise had two captains before Kirk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Star Trek: Discover What's Gonna Make Michael Burnham Start Crying This Time

Discovery's very best moments are in the rare occasions when it forgets that it's trying too hard to be a prestige drama.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bring back Mr. Mot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Aight CBS, I know you're super hot for new series ideas, so here's my pitch.

You know Firefly? Okay, do that, but instead make the main cast The Outrageous Okona, Jerry Hardin's Mark Twain from "Time's Arrow", Mr. Mot, and Holodeck Stephen Hawking.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drone posted:

Aight CBS, I know you're super hot for new series ideas, so here's my pitch.

You know Firefly? Okay, do that, but instead make the main cast The Outrageous Okona, Jerry Hardin's Mark Twain from "Time's Arrow", Mr. Mot, and Holodeck Stephen Hawking.

Oh drat, and that southern good-ol'-boy from the 20th century that they unfroze in "The Neutral Zone"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

John de Lancie as an old-rear end version of Q is gonna be an interesting shoehorn.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rhyno posted:

Discovery has a lovely theme.

Couldn't tell you a drat thing about the Discovery theme, and I've seen every episode.

Fakeedit: like, can't even hum a single measure of any kind of musical leitmotif in that series whatsoever, besides when they tossed out the Enterprise motif a few times whenever it was on-screen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DrBouvenstein posted:

Any reason they went prime timeline?

Didn't Discovery S1 get produced before the Viacom-CBS merger brought all of Trek back under one company?

For a good long while the rights were split between Paramount (movies) and CBS (TV).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh yeah, Guinan. Y'know what, hell yeah, bring back Guinan.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220028276879568897

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mehall posted:

Also it's not showing in Europe until Friday on Amazon as I understand it.

Well that's mildly disappointing.

Gonna tune out for the next day or so. I usually don't give a poo poo about spoilers but I'd like to see go into at least the first episode blind.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well that was really good.

That Ent-D shot at the beginning was fanservice in a sea of fanservice but maaan I don't care, it felt good to see the ol' girl again.

I hope we get to learn more about the two Romulans living with Picard. I wanna know what's up with them. I mean yeah, they're probably grateful for him trying to save their species, but why do they specifically wanna work on his vineyard?

The Daystrom Institute character is pretty cool too and I already know more about her after one episode than I do about like half of the Discovery regulars. Bruce Maddox was an interesting choice to bring back and not unwelcome.

Anyone else catch the music beat that played when the Romulan ship entered the Borg cube toward the ending? It was a remix of one of the main recurring TOS themes (not the main one) and that was a wild throwback.

Discovery could learn so much from Picard in terms of pacing and character building though, holy poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nine-gear crow posted:

I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F. Because while I used to think it was ugly as poo poo the STO F and I'd actually love for it to show up on screen now.

While this could be cool, does it even need to be the -F? The -E is like 25 years old at this point, maybe the Sovereign-class turns out to have some longevity to it.

An Enterprise cameo (regardless of which letter comes after the name) is probably too hard to resist for the writer's team though. Seems like mostly a question of who they're gonna cameo as her captain. My money's on Geordi.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This would have been a nice opportunity for a Captain Nog cameo.
:smith:

Really hope they at least mention a Captain Nog at some point somehow.

At this point I know it's mostly just spitballing cameo ideas and shoehorning in familiar characters, but that one would be both timely and appropriate.

It would, however, involve the showrunners acknowledging the existence of DS9, so it's not likely to happen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Admiral Cyrano Jones IV

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

In the season trailer at the end of episode 1 it looked like there might be a Luna class ship that appears? If they make Luna canon that would be a nice sign.

Yeah the brief glimpses of other Starfleet ships that we got in Picard seemed to hew to a TNG-movie era aesthetic well enough. But who knows.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I just assumed the queens meant literally nothing, other than having five of the same card to tip Picard off to the fact that he was dreaming.

I'm not sure that everything has to have a secret hidden meaning, that's a weird mentality that years of being broken by LOST seems to have imparted on modern TV.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cojawfee posted:

The 60+ demo is definitely what you need to pump up a streaming service.

I mean if the showrunners are boomers...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MichiganCubbie posted:

So Trump unveiled the logo for the US Space Force today:

BBC found the inspiration.

If you think that's wild, you should check out the logos for Roscosmos, the Chinese Space Agency, the Indian Space Agency, and (to a lesser extent) JAXA.

They all have some form of the delta wing. In Star Trek's case, they adapted it from the red swoosh in the NASA logo.

Yeah it's a dumb logo for a dumb Trump vanity project, but the BBC kinda failed to mention that the Trek logo evolved from a real-world one and not the other way around.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

He very obviously bit down on a thing and gave Dahj the ol' Atreides poison tooth. There may even have been a little audio cue.

BUT WHAT DOES IT ALL MEEEEEAANNNN

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lizard Combatant posted:

Mad About Cube

Mad About Hugh

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hipster_Doofus posted:

TL;DR: Picard good, and RLM are gettin' too :spergin: for their own good.

Halfway through the RLM Re:view I started to kinda get the suspicion that their thoughts were so negative about it purely because, at this point after so many years of panning new Star Trek/Star Wars media, people kindof expect them to pan. It's hard to imagine, in 2020, what a positive Re:view video looks like.

Also nerd outrage gets clicks, unfortunately.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

One thing I did like about the RLM Re:view was their dig at Jay for not knowing poo poo about Star Trek.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fresh tomatoes own. This isn't an onion we're talking about.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Comrade Fakename posted:

A video I watched pointed out that parts of Commander Oh's mind-meld vision looked extremely similar to Spock's vision in Discovery Season 2 where he sees Control destroying all life in the galaxy.

Do what you will with this information.

Was this... not blatantly obvious to anyone else upon first watching? :confused:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Or we'll have a crossover episode where Burnham travels back in time to help Picard convince the Romulans that they averted that timeline. :geno:

2020 proves once again that it's worse than 2019 (which was worse than 2018 which was worse than 2017 which was worse than 2016...)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just watched, episode was really good.

My theory is that Soji is The Destroyer... but the Romulans have gotten the whole "who is she actually destroying?" angle all wrong. The as-yet-unnamed precursor civilization wasn't destroyed because of some boring-rear end Mass Effect ripoff story about machines always killing their creators, or because their development of androids caused them to get on the radar of the Trek Reapers; they were destroyed because the machines they created were unable to fight off some Greater Galactic Evil that was attacking them for other reasons. So they put together this time capsule star system with the message for future civilizations: this is what destroyed us, they're going to be coming back, working together with synths (and with half-synth life like the Borg) is your best hope of being able to do it, make yours better than ours. Use them together, use them in peace. Like literally the opposite of the whole lovely Control plotline from Discovery Season 2.

And whether or not the Romulans corrupted that message intentionally or simply misinterpreted it for centuries will be revealed at the end.

Also man I really want the inevitable battle between the Starfleet squadron at DS12 and the Romulans and the Big Space Bad to be interrupted by Queen Seven of Nine rolling in with her fully refurbished cube as the cavalry.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 13, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm about 99% sure it's going to be that plus Riker in command of the Ent-E/F, preferably with a third nacelle and a super phaser to complete the 'All Good Things ...' callback.

Yeah, Riker's "I'm on active reserve" line was too prominent to have not been some kind of foreshadowing.

At least that was my first thought when I heard it... then I realized I can't imagine big ol' chonky Riker fitting into a Starfleet uniform anymore. Like, it'd be worse than in Enterprise. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lizard Combatant posted:

Give him the B'elanna "totally not pregnant" engineering smock.

On the smock note, if we get more shots of Starfleet in action before the season is out, I hope they re-introduce the uniform skant in the background somewhere.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What if the Trek Reapers are actually the machine race that reprogrammed V'Ger.

I just spitballing here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lizard Combatant posted:

No wonder the Roms cottoned on to Soji and Daj, Maddox can't stop making them look the same even when that face has been compromised.

Do not besmirch the good name of the Grand Nagus in this manner.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AndyElusive posted:

I guess that's modern television dialog now though.

I don't know why I thought of it just now, but imagine the famous DS9 root beer scene except Quark is talking about White Claw.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cojawfee posted:

Well pucker up your rear end in a top hat, poo poo dick. It's about to get real loving mature up in this bitch. You've never seen Picard say poo poo like this before.

God I want Picard to say "double dumb-rear end on you" so loving badly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sorry to disappoint all of the people who rightfully want the Captain Pike series to be an episodic adventure-of-the-week thing. It's gonna be a seasonlong arc of prestige drama centered around the dangers of artificial intelligence wiping out all known life in the galaxy.

Sorry!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So, uh, why isn't Jurati on her way to a nice Federation penal colony in New Zealand again?

Is it because she has a little bit of Tilly Energy (tm) or what

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nine-gear crow posted:

Keep in mind we're also getting Guinan next year in probably a major role too given the show PatStew made of asking Whoopi back, so I have a feeling that La Sirena's gonna get more than packed with folks in season 2.

imo that offer came across as more of a cameo role than anything. Would love to see her do it, but I don't know that she'd be a regular.

I'd love to see pretty much any of the TNG cast come back, though of the TNG lot I have the most hopes for John de Lancie or Michael Dorn. Or... I dunno man, bring back a DS9 person for a change and actually acknowledge that that series exists :shobon: I'm sure Alex Siddig would jump at the chance.

And as much as it might be tempting to say "gently caress cameos, this show should do its own thing!", ST:PIC is literally Nostalgia Cameo: The Series, so might as well do it here.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Frakes delivered it well but the "biggest, fastest, most powerful ship in Starfleet history" line really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not just that it's just... not something a lot of Starfleet captains would say. It's also the kind of lazy piled-on adjective writing that a 10 year old puts in his fanfic. I should know, I probably wrote something similar in my fanfic when I was 10 :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dietrich posted:

It was just completely unnecessary. There should have been fewer warbirds, there should have been fewer Starfleet ships. The Starfleet ships should have actually been a bit outmatched, if anything, which increases the stakes and the value of Picard's victory when he convinces Dahj to turn off and destroy the beacon and proves that Oh was wrong the entire time.

You don't get it. The stakes always have to be bigger than last time. That's what Hollywood thinks tension is these days.

Those 218 warbirds would have been just as threatening and just as capable of glassing a planet if there were a couple dozen of them. But, as with all things in this hosed up timeline we live in, The Number Must Get Bigger (regardless of what that number is).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'd have forgiven the dumb biggest, fastest, most powerful line if Riker had rolled up in the triple-nacelled souped-up Galaxy variant like the Ent-D from All Good Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lizard Combatant posted:

Like a... trellis?

Deep cut for Trek threadlore, bravo :golfclap: