Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Maddox said that Soji and Dahj were sent to find the secret behind the Synth ban.

He suspected that the Federation and Romulans had a part in it. Daystrom being a target makes sense. Maybe he heard about the Zhat Vash xBs on the artifact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

CPColin posted:

"Sanitize the entire planet!"
"Focus all fire on that settlement!"
"Obliteration pattern #5!"
"Ready weapons! On my mark!"

Just pick one, lady!

Why are you preparing? You're always preparing! Just fire!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Commodore Oh my god just fire already

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Memo to: Starfleet Personnel
Memo from: Starfleet Security

This is yet another reminder that Vulcans who show an aptitude for intelligence work need to be referred to us, not promoted.

What is wrong with you?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A season 2 episode that visits the alternate timeline where in the episode The Quality of Life, the senior staff had not been called to the bridge before Beverly had won the hand of poker forcing Riker, LaForge, and Worf to shave their beards.

In that timeline, the extra-galactic synthetics came through the beacon and destroyed all biological life.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Android phones are really going to change in the next 300 years.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I watched the last episode

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I really don't know what to say honestly

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Brawnfire posted:

I really don't know what to say honestly

pissssss

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I did not know that Isa Briones sang Blue Skies in the finale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

Android phones are really going to change in the next 300 years.

It comes with Unlimited Data :buddy:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I heard there were plans to Lore that amount

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

Ugh, this pun was the worst thing to come out of Star Trek.

It's not mod sass because you know it to be true.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

Ugh, this pun was the worst thing to come out of Star Trek.

It's not mod sass because you know it to be true.

It's only Mod Sass if you speak that blasphemy in Let's Play.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I don't know what Picard can actually do story-wise now that the post-Nemesis stuff is mostly resolved; at least I like most of these characters / actors.

Finale was OK.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

PostNouveau posted:

You didn't get a good sense of the scale of the metal snake robots, but I feel like Riker's fleet could have taken them.

Riker finds a warning shot that just obliterates them. It turns out the ancient aliens who they wiped out last time were pathetically weak, and they were never a real threat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
After making GBS threads on the overall arc of the season that reminds me that I actually like most of the actors, and many of their characters in general. I think there's the potential for them to do a good story with them, and am vaguely looking forward to a second season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mulva posted:

After making GBS threads on the overall arc of the season that reminds me that I actually like most of the actors, and many of their characters in general. I think there's the potential for them to do a good story with them, and am vaguely looking forward to a second season.

This season had all the trappings of a messy experiment that they were trying to see if it at least worked enough to get them a second season, and on that front it was mission accomplished. So I'm hoping next season is a little more polished now that their 10 hour elevator pitch actually struck paydirt. A lot of Trek shows get off the ground in really sloppy starts but once it's actually airborne they can do some really neat tricks.

And the best part of this season being self contained so far is that they have a blank slate to start next year on and as the man himself said at the end of TNG, the sky's the limit...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Angry Salami posted:

Riker finds a warning shot that just obliterates them. It turns out the ancient aliens who they wiped out last time were pathetically weak, and they were never a real threat.

They were from a time when the most powerful weapons were lasers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

They were from a time when the most powerful weapons were lasers.

That or the beacon works as advertised but when Sovereign comes storming through the portal it immediately shuts off because after sitting dormant in Dark Space for 500,000 years it's power supply had run down to the point where it could only mange one quick thruster burst to get it through the aperture and that was it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mulva posted:

There's a lot of potential for S2,

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mllaneza posted:

My question is, why are all these people going to stay together? That seems to be the implication; that they've become a team somehow. But they barely stayed together for two seconds at a time in this season, and now they don't even have the vague sort of mission that kind of almost brought them together to begin with. So why wouldn't they all just get on with their separate lives now?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean their lives are poo poo, so just yeet yourself into the cosmos and see what happens?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So, uh, why isn't Jurati on her way to a nice Federation penal colony in New Zealand again?

Is it because she has a little bit of Tilly Energy (tm) or what

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

So, uh, why isn't Jurati on her way to a nice Federation penal colony in New Zealand again?

Is it because she has a little bit of Tilly Energy (tm) or what

Chabon said in his Q&A that she would be surrendering to Fed authorities after the events of the finale. My guess is that if Pill doesn’t want to come back that’ll be the ending for her character, and if she does return then they’ll just have some line in the S2 premiere about Picard making an impassioned plea during her trial and the judge remanding her into his custody as a “time served” or whatever. They’re obviously setting those characters up as the show’s “crew” so I can’t see the whole “go to prison for murder” thing sticking at all, so long as Pill actually returns.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Strictly speaking Soji also is guilty of Attempted Hypermurder of all life in known space, so I imagine they’re gonna just go all “mistakes were made” and quietly brush the whole thing under the rug

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chabon said in his Q&A that she would be surrendering to Fed authorities after the events of the finale. My guess is that if Pill doesn’t want to come back that’ll be the ending for her character, and if she does return then they’ll just have some line in the S2 premiere about Picard making an impassioned plea during her trial and the judge remanding her into his custody as a “time served” or whatever. They’re obviously setting those characters up as the show’s “crew” so I can’t see the whole “go to prison for murder” thing sticking at all, so long as Pill actually returns.

Keep in mind we're also getting Guinan next year in probably a major role too given the show PatStew made of asking Whoopi back, so I have a feeling that La Sirena's gonna get more than packed with folks in season 2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

nine-gear crow posted:

Keep in mind we're also getting Guinan next year in probably a major role too given the show PatStew made of asking Whoopi back, so I have a feeling that La Sirena's gonna get more than packed with folks in season 2.

imo that offer came across as more of a cameo role than anything. Would love to see her do it, but I don't know that she'd be a regular.

I'd love to see pretty much any of the TNG cast come back, though of the TNG lot I have the most hopes for John de Lancie or Michael Dorn. Or... I dunno man, bring back a DS9 person for a change and actually acknowledge that that series exists :shobon: I'm sure Alex Siddig would jump at the chance.

And as much as it might be tempting to say "gently caress cameos, this show should do its own thing!", ST:PIC is literally Nostalgia Cameo: The Series, so might as well do it here.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

So the finale annoyed me in the same way as TNG did. So... overall it succeeded in what it was aiming for?

The Romulan siblings and the kicking captain were the best characters. "Planetary destruction sequence #5" implies there are at least 4 more ways to destroy a planet. :allears:

Riker should have gone to the Delenn-school of intimidation who would have clearly sent even the killer-robos packing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA

Those are my thoughts on Picard on Amazon Prime. Thank you.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

mllaneza posted:

Nah. as people already mentioned nothing keeping them together so a string of offscreen deaths/send offs is likely to happen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bou posted:

So the finale annoyed me in the same way as TNG did. So... overall it succeeded in what it was aiming for?

The Romulan siblings and the kicking captain were the best characters. "Planetary destruction sequence #5" implies there are at least 4 more ways to destroy a planet. :allears:

Riker should have gone to the Delenn-school of intimidation who would have clearly sent even the killer-robos packing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA

Those are my thoughts on Picard on Amazon Prime. Thank you.

I thought Frakes delivered his line significantly better than Furlan delivered hers. I don't know, I enjoy Babylon 5 but Delenn is a terrible character and Furlan does nothing to elevate the material.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Frakes delivered it well but the "biggest, fastest, most powerful ship in Starfleet history" line really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not just that it's just... not something a lot of Starfleet captains would say. It's also the kind of lazy piled-on adjective writing that a 10 year old puts in his fanfic. I should know, I probably wrote something similar in my fanfic when I was 10 :v:

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I thought Frakes delivered his line significantly better than Furlan delivered hers. I don't know, I enjoy Babylon 5 but Delenn is a terrible character and Furlan does nothing to elevate the material.

In all fairness i watch the german dub of Picad, so the "real" Frakes might have done better. But still i find Delenn way more threatening in english and german. It may very well be that i genuinely dislike that special brand of TNG-allofness that he displays? :agesilaus:

But to each their own :glomp:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

Frakes delivered it well but the "biggest, fastest, most powerful ship in Starfleet history" line really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not just that it's just... not something a lot of Starfleet captains would say. It's also the kind of lazy piled-on adjective writing that a 10 year old puts in his fanfic. I should know, I probably wrote something similar in my fanfic when I was 10 :v:

I'm glad someone else thought that was just out of character for how Starfleet talks about itself usually. "The finest crew ever to man a ship" or something? Sure.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Season 2 should have Picard blasting cigs in his new robot body

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 28, 2020

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm glad someone else thought that was just out of character for how Starfleet talks about itself usually. "The finest crew ever to man a ship" or something? Sure.

It was just completely unnecessary. There should have been fewer warbirds, there should have been fewer Starfleet ships. The Starfleet ships should have actually been a bit outmatched, if anything, which increases the stakes and the value of Picard's victory when he convinces Dahj to turn off and destroy the beacon and proves that Oh was wrong the entire time.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dietrich posted:

It was just completely unnecessary. There should have been fewer warbirds, there should have been fewer Starfleet ships. The Starfleet ships should have actually been a bit outmatched, if anything, which increases the stakes and the value of Picard's victory when he convinces Dahj to turn off and destroy the beacon and proves that Oh was wrong the entire time.

Storytelling decisions? Buddy, I don't think you get prestige TV.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dietrich posted:

You don't get it. The stakes always have to be bigger than last time. That's what Hollywood thinks tension is these days.

Those 218 warbirds would have been just as threatening and just as capable of glassing a planet if there were a couple dozen of them. But, as with all things in this hosed up timeline we live in, The Number Must Get Bigger (regardless of what that number is).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Drone posted:

You don't get it. The stakes always have to be bigger than last time. That's what Hollywood thinks tension is these days.

Those 218 warbirds would have been just as threatening and just as capable of glassing a planet if there were a couple dozen of them. But, as with all things in this hosed up timeline we live in, The Number Must Get Bigger (regardless of what that number is).

I understand that, and usually it's just a pointless escalation which can be annoying but in this case, it actually disservices the impact of the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bou posted:

In all fairness i watch the german dub of Picad, so the "real" Frakes might have done better. But still i find Delenn way more threatening in english and german. It may very well be that i genuinely dislike that special brand of TNG-allofness that he displays? :agesilaus:

But to each their own :glomp:

Absolutely cool to disagree with me here- I think my not liking Furlan is my native English speaking self expecting a little more, oh, personality. I think some of the cast of TNG definitely has this very theatrical way of doing things.