Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’m just glad they haven’t attempted “Antebellum South, but without the racism!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So I know I’m literally months behind the curve but I finally got around to watching the last few episodes of Picard season 3, and, uh, I have questions. Like, are they gonna address in future series how they just killed off practically everyone in Starfleet leadership? I know the answer is almost certainly not, but I was trying to do the napkin math on everyone under 25 turning on everyone older on every ship in the fleet, and even assuming some of those older folks bunkered up on their respective ships and waiting out the Borgification, at a glance there’s gotta be, what, 50% of Starfleet over 25, and a real good portion of that are now dead in the mutinies? And of those dead people, they’re all the senior officers and whatnot, even with the young people restored that’s leaving the Federation in complete shambles! Hope the Cardassians or whoever haven’t managed to rebuild since the end of the Dominion war or they’re gonna make a play for all the Federation easy pickings in the aftermath.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Makes sense (relatively speaking), I appreciate the behind the scenes info. Honestly I don’t mind memory-holing silliness in Star Trek, like how many god aliens have we met and forgotten about over the years now, but this whole thing definitely seemed like a big one, especially given modern focuses on maintaining some sense of vague continuity (or BRAND SYNERGY!) between shows. Overall it was definitely a real dumb end to the series but I still had fun, it was a blast seeing the old crew together again, Shaw was a good character who died too soon, and worst case I can just stick this in the same bin as when the TNG Enterprise visited the Space Africa planet, or the Space Irish, or the Space Ambiguously Native American planet.

Edit:

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean he even walked back Ro's death on Twitter so who knows what the gently caress this guy is thinking

Wait, what? How is she supposed to have not been sploded, magic last minute transport to a previously undetected ship or what?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, seems kind of lopsided or top (saucer) heavy to me, but that might just be the angle of the picture

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Stalins Moustache posted:

I've been on a Star Trek binge for about a year and a half now - watched all of TNG, DS9, Voyager, Discovery, Lower Decks and now I'm on the very last episode of Strange New Worlds. That musical episode was hilarious, with Uhura's song and the Klingon boyband being highlights.
Still, there's something that fails to captivate me about Strange New Worlds but I really don't know what it is. It has everything I should like in a show, but there's just something about it that's not gripping me as much as the other Trek shows. It's good and I'm definitely looking forward to watching more.

After this I think I'm gonna watch Picard and Enterprise. Saving what is apparently the stinkiest to the last.

Where I think I struggle with SNW is just that the seasons are so much shorter, even if there are a lot of duds in series with 24 episodes per season it at least gives way more time to breath, enjoy small casual moments with characters, and not everything has to be a defining moment for the year. You just get to know everyone better in more varied circumstances and relationships, even if those circumstances sometimes include a hereditary sex ghost summoned by magic candle

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Am I the only one tired of Badgey?

I think he (it?) is kinda one note yeah but I’ll give credit, the show hasn’t let me down so far so I won’t assume. Besides, Peanut Hamper’s return was one of my favorite episodes, they can do recurring bits pretty well!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gaz-L posted:

Legit one of my favourite scenes, largely down to Frakes and Goldberg

One of those rare instances where Wheaton’s bumbling awkwardness works, since it contrasts so well with the intense aura of charisma absolutely radiating off those two, which is kind of the point of the scene

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bobulus posted:

One of the laugh out loud moments of my youth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNCybqmKugA

I genuinely appreciate how early and then consistently Trek writers recognized the Holodeck would boil down to characters saying “Computer, make me a fuckbot”

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Klingons using cloaks while also maintaining honor is part and parcel of their whole bit since TNG started. Their own propaganda is that they're a warrior race and that attitude has trickled down through the classes and castes of society. Even Klingon lawyers and chefs consider their careers as a sort of combat, battle, or honorable struggle to reforge some part of the world into what they want. But behind that all, the highest levels of government and leadership are corrupt as hell. They care nothing for honor, only results, and they will bury the greatest and most honorable of warriors to elevate the schemers and present them as the elite.

https://youtu.be/sfNe2uv-bHs

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Huh, just kinda dawned on me re: Lower Decks and death, did Shaxs say if he saw the koala or just the black mountain? Would a nonhuman see an Earth species like that or do they get their own version? Obviously this is very important philosophical stuff that the series should explore in great depth.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Technowolf posted:

The end of PIC should have been Mariner shutting the holodeck off and saying "That was the worst holonovel I've ever seen!"

That’s gotta be it, Nepo Crusher stands smirking on the bridge for a moment before T’Ana pounces on him, Shaxs looking out off to the side

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

holefoods posted:

I came across a toy Defiant at my parent’s house and I wasn’t into Star Trek when I was a kid. I was shocked to see it had a Dairy Queen copyright on the bottom, amazing that Star Trek was enough of a thing that even they got in on the licensing action. I mostly remember getting lovely frisbees in DQ kid’s meals.

But instead that time you got a cool frisbee!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zaroff posted:

It wouldn’t have worked in 1990, but I’d have been happy to see Picard leave for the first half of Season 4 while going through psych treatment after being Locutus. Put Riker in charge, maybe keep Shelby as XO and have half a season of that before Picard returns for… reasons.

Look, mud wrestling a Frenchman while wine drunk does wonders

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grand Fromage posted:

One thing I'll give Disco is they do swing for it a lot. I don't think they get any hits but I respect that they try a wide assortment of weird poo poo. It would've been very easy for the Trek revival to just be TNG 2 instead of whatever the gently caress Disco is trying to do.

100%, they went buck wild at the expense of all reason or sense, there were a number of moments I remember my jaw literally dropping at where the story went. It wasn’t usually GOOD but it was always unpredictable, I genuinely appreciated that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Knormal posted:

That was always my take, which makes me think the Romulans must go buck wild for theirs.

They repress their urges too, but instead of making them emotionless robots they’re intensely pent up, frustrated, and miserable about it, hence all the scheming; when pon farr hits they’re actually quite chill, best time to ask them for a favor

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Huh, I thought only their foreheads had ridges

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Every season so far has ended with someone leaving or being removed from the crew, every season they’re back in a couple episodes at most, I can’t imagine this’ll be anything different

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't the writers say Shaw lived, despite... you know dying.

We don’t talk about the Black Mountain

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, agree that Shaw was a great character but I don’t know I like him as a captain of the Titan. Maybe if he’s managing a more practical ship like a freighter or something, would’ve also fit well with his having an engineering background instead of science or diplomacy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Random high question. Are Star Fleet officer personal logs open records? Like, you could log onto the Star Fleet library and pull Captain Kirk’s logs for personal reading? That is the only way that I can explain how everybody in Lower Decks is able to pull deep lore cuts. Since there is now only Space PBS and educational toys, kids just sit around reading their heroes’ personal logs and mission debriefs.

I seem to remember Boimler yelling at Mariner that it’s supposed to be private while she’s reading his aloud, but I’d bet it’s a case by case thing, like Riker would publish and market the hell out of his if given half a chance.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
William Boimler kept the promotion, Brad had to earn his

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Taear posted:

I wonder how many serious discovery fans there are out there, really sad about the show being over now

There’s a tea shop in town with a Discovery theme to it, even the name references the show, I haven’t made it in there yet but I’m assuming they’re pretty gutted

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sure is! My girlfriend’s brother is a regular and goes like once a month

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

CPColin posted:

Ortegas: Flies the ship

Wait, when did that ever come up?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
For SNW it feels like people mention La’an’s time traveling episode or “Spock Amok” a lot, or even “The Elysian Kingdom” as some classic goofy fantasy Trek, but the one that always stands out to me is “The Serene Squall”; it’s fairly self contained, I absolutely loved Counselor Aspen flipping between soothing and insightful therapist and over-the-top scenery-chewing ham villain, even the b-plot of Pike leading a pirate mutiny with the power of home cooking is great.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gangringo posted:

Section 31 was an excellent idea that much like the Borg has become horribly mutated and diluted with overuse. It was a great example of how careful one must be in how a utopia is defended and how ideals and morals are so often ignored when people are given deniability. They were unambiguously presented as antagonists and a betrayal of the ideals of the federation hiding behind a warped sense of "the greater good".

It would be like if there was some shadow organization inside the US government that had been rigging elections and secretly assassinating people whose fallback is their oath was to defend against threats foreign and domestic. A threat being anyone who doesn't agree with what they think. That's what Section 31 should be, bad people clinging to some shred of legitimacy that doesn't actually exist.

So it’s Blue Bloods/NCIS/FBI/et al for Star Trek

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MikeJF posted:

Fortunately in the 24th century english culture is extinct except for the accent.

E: yep, no entry for cricket on memory alpha except the insect.

Accents and Earl Grey

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

I'll say that the vast majority of commentary I come across - especially in the last couple of weeks with the Legacy discussion - is that most people really, really liked season 3 of Picard. I think they're insane but there's no accounting for taste.

For example, this is from the article linked on the top post on r/startrek today

I agree with the premise of the article, which is "Enough with the Jean Luc Picard, already" but "Conclusion of Picard was perfect" is delusional.

I mean, there’s absolutely some truth in that getting the TNG crew and set back together for one last romp is a beautiful thing that I love deeply! There’s all the actual real world details, like the why, how, fashion in which it was done, and overall execution that were fetid. But if you take a step back and squint juuuuuuust right. . .

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I enjoy looking at old 50’s and 60’s TV sitcoms and admiring their 30-70 episode seasons. Purestrain run this poo poo into the ground enthusiasm at work!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I won’t pretend to have appreciation for Enterprise compared to my favorites but it was fine, passable even, I put it roughly on par with Voyager.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hey, everybody said Archer was unfit to be a captain, let alone one of his particular station, and he founded the whole dang Federation, just think of what Shaw might accomplish, especially now that he’s not actually dead!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
As ever, my favorite Trek episodes don’t tend to involve big action scenes, which is what studios always want for movies. Give me a Star Trek: 12 Angry Men darn it, I want dramatic monologues about principled ethics and the philosophy of humanity from someone in a funny jumpsuit, not laser explosions and dangling over an abyss holding on by one hand

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah, Voyager was UPN’s flagship show to launch the network, and was its longest-lived dramatic offering. Pretty sure the only show more successful on the network was WWE Smackdown (giving us everyone’s favorite episode, Tsunkatse).

I enjoyed Disco 5x01/5x02, seems like they’re trying to parcel it all out into an “adventure a week” sort of thing that Voltron’s into the conclusion, which probably fits the show well at this point.

Is it standalone enough that I can dive in after skipping seasons 3 and 4, or am I going to need those for context? Thanks to thread osmosis I know they’re in the future and have modular ships but that’s about it

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are going to make so much ancient cum

It is kinda funny to me that there are the parallels between what the Progenitors did and Elon Musk’s fan club’s idea of blasting humans out to seed lots of planets because we’ve hosed Earth up so bad. Like, maybe the Progenitors weren’t some wise, thoughtful ancient race, it was just a couple of d-bags that everybody hated being too obsessed with their weird eugenicist ideas of what life across the galaxy should be?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

boo boo bear posted:

rayner understanding that bosses who wanna be friends, or worse 'a family', are loving creeps is a nice change.

It did strike me as real funny that the council is so mad at him, “yeah he just spent 30 years as a wartime captain but times are different now”. Are they really? Maybe don’t give him the delicate top secret or diplomatic missions but you really can’t find something out on the frontier for a little more rough and tumble leader?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Throwing in my kid as an nth vote for “doesn’t care for any Trek except LDS”, Prodigy rang too young for her and for everything else she just quotes the These Old Scientists line at me “why do they all talk so slowly?”

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Last Call posted:

Has Sybok ever been mentioned in the shows?

I know most are happy to forget he existed but if used right, there is potential there.

He was referenced and kinda had a 5 second appearance in SNW, at the end of The Serene Squall

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the whole thing is just kind of a pointless mess. It feels like they want to drop it since it never went anywhere, but occasionally dip in because they feel bad about dropping it. It's weird.

Speaking of, the one part of the Trill episode I did like was Culber's actor getting to flex and play something different. I found the "go talk to some invisible bugs" plot boring but it was fun to see him doing something new.

Ironically I thought that would’ve been a good opportunity for Adira, use their special connection to symbiotes despite not being Trill, impulsively volunteer for an emotionally taxing job due to being distressed about Grey, maybe learn a thing or two along the way? But yeah, might as well give Culber something to do besides sympathetic smiling

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
TOS is the Wild West of the Prime Directive, move fast break things make it up as you go who gives a poo poo we’re in uncharted territory stuff. Eventually by TNG the Federation is bureaucratized and becomes an organization helmed by stuff middle managers who haven’t left their desks in decades and can’t fathom doing anything but what the letter of the law says regardless of consequence. Then DS9 gives those guys an excuse to go full fascist, leading to the openly uncaring and cruel militarism seen in Picard. United Federation of Planets: The American Dream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

8one6 posted:

gently caress it. Hard reboot of the franchise. Now the only thing that counts is Strange New Worlds, but we're replacing Spock's actor with Gene's original version of Betazeds so now Vulcans have three tits.

Counter offer, keep Ethan Peck and give him three tits