Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DaveKap posted:

So does this mean Legacy has slightly more than a snowball's chance in Hell of happening or is it still just snowball levels of chance?

Matalas is tied up working for Disney now and other key members of Picard's production staff like Dave Blass and the Okudas have either moved on to other projects or gone back into retirement. There's also been a slate of "[person involved with Picard] says Star Trek: Legacy isn't happening" stories in the last few weeks and you don't see that unless something's pretty much DOA. They've also coincided with a similar slew of "Jean-Luc Picard-centric movie in development" stories, so it's looking less and less like season 3 was a baton pass to the next next generation and more like P.Stew's just gonna keep running with the torch until he's dead, gently caress all ya'll.

Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

*sarcastic vulcan salute*

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kesper North posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

swickles posted:

Picard basically swept the TV Sci Fi awards at the Saturn Awards tonight, beating out Mandalorian, Andor, Strange New Worlds, and their various actors in multiple categories. This does not seem super valid to me.

Picard. Beat. Andor.

Get fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kesper North posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Andor is S-tier and deserved to win everything. Picard coasting on lovely nostalgia and winning proves the awards are pointless.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can see it beating Mando I guess, but how the gently caress does it beat SNW let alone Andor of all things?

I would immediately assume it's because more people watched Picard than Andor and it's generally the higher profile one, most people liked Picard, also it's an unspoken victory lap/lifetime achievement award. That'd go for a bunch of the actor/actress ones too.

Andor won what appears to be the award for best show that only counts first seasons so it's not like they shut it out.

And, to be kind of honest, looking at a lot of the genre awards... there isn't that much of a ceiling to a lot of them that make me bothered by the choices. Would I really go to war over Frakes getting Best Supporting Actor over Ethan Peck? Jeri Ryan over Jess Bush? Not really.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Andor was a 2022 show, why would it be nominated

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Matalas is tied up working for Disney now and other key members of Picard's production staff like Dave Blass and the Okudas have either moved on to other projects or gone back into retirement. There's also been a slate of "[person involved with Picard] says Star Trek: Legacy isn't happening" stories in the last few weeks and you don't see that unless something's pretty much DOA. They've also coincided with a similar slew of "Jean-Luc Picard-centric movie in development" stories, so it's looking less and less like season 3 was a baton pass to the next next generation and more like P.Stew's just gonna keep running with the torch until he's dead, gently caress all ya'll.

Star Trek.

I do have some morbid curiosity towards PatStew & Matalas to make a Picard - The Movie as a way to cap that storyline, like they ended up doing with Section 31.

A trainwreck at the scale that makes STX look like STV.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It missed the nomination cut off date last year, so qualified this year instead

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aren't awards shows incredibly fake anyway?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Technowolf posted:

Only if Andor loses

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

External Organs posted:

Only if Andor loses

RIGGED AND STOLLEN

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Der Kyhe posted:

I do have some morbid curiosity towards PatStew & Matalas to make a Picard - The Movie as a way to cap that storyline, like they ended up doing with Section 31.

A trainwreck at the scale that makes STX look like STV.

Some how, the borg returned.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Technowolf posted:

What do you mean by fake? They happen, NASA isn't putting them on in a soundstage.

You can attach any level of legitimacy to awards as you want, anyone can decide to deliver an award to anyone for any reason based on any criteria they want, or any voting body they set up.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Andor started airing in November 2022, the eligibility window for this set of awards was July 2022 to June 2023, the nominations are usually announced in August but they postponed them due to the strike

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pinterest Mom posted:

What do you mean by fake? They happen, NASA isn't putting them on in a soundstage.

You can attach any level of legitimacy to awards as you want, anyone can decide to deliver an award to anyone for any reason based on any criteria they want, or any voting body they set up.

I mean what do you think they mean by fake?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Picard. Beat. Andor.

Get fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Taear posted:

I mean what do you think they mean by fake?

I assume they mean bought and paid for by studios.

And sure, to a degree that’s true. You see “For Your Consideration” billboards in LA and full-page takeover ads on variety.com all the time. That’s advertising directly to people who vote for these awards.

However, the idea that the awards are elaborate kayfabe? It’s comfortable, perhaps, but I don't think its very realistic - otherwise I'm sure Netflix or Amazon would have paid for a Best Picture by now. And in this case, I don’t think Paramount would be able to out-spend Disney.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The type of corruption and biases varies from awards show to awards show, of course.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
A lot of people just have poo poo taste is all, not much more to it than that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think it has way more to do with the fact that Patrick Stewart is apparently going to be in at least one Paramount+ Super Bowl ad, which suggests the Saturn Awards are for sale.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think it has way more to do with the fact that Patrick Stewart is apparently going to be in at least one Paramount+ Super Bowl ad, which suggests the Saturn Awards are for sale.

If they had given him an award for that ad I would be ok with it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pinterest Mom posted:

:ninja:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

swickles posted:

If they had given him an award for that ad I would be ok with it.
The ad feels like a fever dream

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

I assume they mean bought and paid for by studios.

And sure, to a degree that’s true. You see “For Your Consideration” billboards in LA and full-page takeover ads on variety.com all the time. That’s advertising directly to people who vote for these awards.

However, the idea that the awards are elaborate kayfabe? It’s comfortable, perhaps, but I don't think its very realistic - otherwise I'm sure Netflix or Amazon would have paid for a Best Picture by now. And in this case, I don’t think Paramount would be able to out-spend Disney.

Also, that's far more true for your Golden Globes/Emmys/Oscars. The studios... they don't NOT give a gently caress about the Saturns and stuff on that level, but it's not exactly something they're gonna spend half the publicity budget on. So that level is arguably more legitimate in so far as the votes being sincere.

Honestly, Andor's issue is being just past the wire of last year's cut-off. Awards voters have short memories.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

god Cronenberg was great in DISCO. immediately elevated every scene he was in.

He's the reason I'm tempted to dive into that series even knowing how messed up it starts.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

He's the reason I'm tempted to dive into that series even knowing how messed up it starts.

Joke's on you, the first two are so far the better ones.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’ve known that cronenberg is apparently a totally normal guy for a long time now and it still messes with me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, the film categories sort of show where the Saturns are at, tbh. I love Harrison Ford but him winning any best actor award when Cillian Murphy and Ralph Finnes are nominated? Hell, I'd argue Keanu Reeves gives a better 'iconic action hero' performance in John Wick 4. gently caress, they picked Indiana Jones 5 to win... anything.

And honestly? I really like Paul Wesley as Jim Kirk, but him over Nick Offerman or Andy Serkis for best guest actor is crazier than 'which TNG actor gets the nod in supporting actor'.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

He's great in it, but it's also another example of Discovery mishandling an interesting premise as they don't use him enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not the Saturns! But what of the awards integrity

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Seemlar posted:

Would I really go to war over Frakes getting Best Supporting Actor over Ethan Peck?

I would!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll say that the vast majority of commentary I come across - especially in the last couple of weeks with the Legacy discussion - is that most people really, really liked season 3 of Picard. I think they're insane but there's no accounting for taste.

For example, this is from the article linked on the top post on r/startrek today

quote:

The conclusion of Star Trek: Picard was perfect. Say what you want about the series’ first two seasons—and there’s plenty to criticize, trust me—its third was the show we all wanted it to be from the very beginning. A deeply satisfying exploration of who our favorite characters from The Next Generation had become in the decades since the original series aired, Picard concludes by both embracing the legacy they share and looking toward the future they’ve helped to forge. It’s an ending that’s hopeful, heartfelt, and just a little bit bittersweet, in all the best ways. But it’s a peace fans sadly might not get to enjoy for long.

I agree with the premise of the article, which is "Enough with the Jean Luc Picard, already" but "Conclusion of Picard was perfect" is delusional.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

I'll say that the vast majority of commentary I come across - especially in the last couple of weeks with the Legacy discussion - is that most people really, really liked season 3 of Picard. I think they're insane but there's no accounting for taste.

What they're saying is that they love being pandered to and their objections to the rest of modern Trek have nothing to do with story quality after all, it's that they weren't being directly pandered to, at least exclusively, any more. Picard season 3 fixed that, briefly.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Also I imagine if you watched season 1 and 2 of picard you're probably just happy that it wasn't as bad as those.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

For example, this is from the article linked on the top post on r/startrek today

I agree with the premise of the article, which is "Enough with the Jean Luc Picard, already" but "Conclusion of Picard was perfect" is delusional.

I mean, there’s absolutely some truth in that getting the TNG crew and set back together for one last romp is a beautiful thing that I love deeply! There’s all the actual real world details, like the why, how, fashion in which it was done, and overall execution that were fetid. But if you take a step back and squint juuuuuuust right. . .

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

What they're saying is that they love being pandered to and their objections to the rest of modern Trek have nothing to do with story quality after all, it's that they weren't being directly pandered to, at least exclusively, any more. Picard season 3 fixed that, briefly.

It's shocking how little it took.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Also I imagine if you watched season 1 and 2 of picard you're probably just happy that it wasn't as bad as those.

It's absolutely not though. I hated season 1 but I'd watch that at gun point over 3 any day.

e: what am i saying? As soon as i wrote that it all came flooding back. I couldn't choose the least objectionable season honestly, so dealer's choice mr gunman.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2024

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Ooh, I dunno. S3 took about 4-5 episodes before it properly poo poo the bed. S1 barely managed 2 before flying of the rails.

Like, if you treat S3 as a story where everything ends and is resolved when Riker throws the asteroid at the Changelings ship, it's a passable if forgettable TNG film. Then it's Choo Choo, all aboard the dumb Secret Borg Cum Train, baby!

Andor was great and arguably better than anything Trek has maybe ever done, but it did have the slight problem that it was rich subtle storytelling about how humans struggle under the oppressions of fascism set in a cinematic world who's creator aimed it at kids. The whole point of the show is slightly undercut when you have a dude in a fish costume wondering around in the background, cheesy impractical robots and remember that the repressive empire is actually ran by a man with a melted face who shoots lightening out of his hands while cackling. But you can't not have that stuff because it's a Star Wars, but trying to do a show like Andor in Star Wars is completely incongruent, and I'm not surprised people bounced off it.

Say what you will about Picard, but one complaint I don't think anyone can have is it's too nuanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I was with Picard right up until they just brushed off the Cube stuff.