Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Not sure how I need to build out the defect. Tried a few going all lightning or cold, tried a few rainbow builds, so far nothing has clicked. What kind of strats should I be going for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Frost orbs are pretty high value for defect , just because he's got access to so many scaling tools and they let him survive long enough to take advantage of them . The uncommon card that gives 2 and blocks (Glacier?) is almost always a good early pick. More orb slots is good and more Focus is good and when you can get a source of both you're, like, scaling multiplicatively, which is great. Also it's not that reliable at higher difficulties but the 0-cost card deck with Claw and All For One etc is really fun and worth trying to pull off if you're offered the right stuff

edit: if I make it to the first campfire without having picked up a better upgrade candidate I will almost always upgrade Zap, having it at 0-cost is really good. Dualcast might be the better choice if you have some other orb generation going on but if you don't you'll risk drawing it with no orbs to actually cast

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 21, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Advice for my robot's balls, please

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I always just stack powers on Defect, getting 2 or so early Storms and upgrading them to have innate lets you spike damage right out of the gate and all the powers kinda blend together. It seems to me that Defect has a lot of really good staples that need to be upgraded to make things go smoothly; a lot of their cards go from 1 energy to 0 or lose exhaust or something like that.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I almost always trade defect's starter relic for a boss relic. If you get snecko eye, you're already in a good spot. Glacier is a great pick, especially if you get one early. Core Surge + Biased Cognition is some of the most powerful scaling in the game, especially with Seek+.

Slay the Spire is great

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Zap is always my first upgrade assuming I don’t score something sweet before then. 5 lightning orbs with focus can really trivialize a lot of encounters.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Echo Form+ and Loop+ do so much heavy lifting for me. Core Surge combos with Hyper Beam and Biased Cog are ftw. Electrodynamics is sick but I swear I die 90% of the time I pick it up, so it may not actually be good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Electrodynamics loving cleans up in act two, where most of the bosses and elites summon adds.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Electrodynamics loving cleans up in act two, where most of the bosses and elites summon adds.

the visuals and sound effects make you feel like an absolute beast too. I’ll pick it up whenever I can, but it’s just a really rare card, so I usually end up using Doom and Gloom+ for AOE damage instead

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My best defect summoned 60 lightning orbs on the heart with multiple of the summon orbs when hit power and then I drew thunder strike.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Threads like this where I have 0 context for what anyone is saying are awesome.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

You should give the game a shot. Its on pc gamepass.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Its pretty good to play on the shitter on the switch which is also a toilet metaphorically due or its overall bad game library

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Its pretty good to play on the shitter on the switch which is also a toilet metaphorically due or its overall bad game library

Yeah this . I own it on PC too but I haven't hardly played the 4th character because i'm waiting for her to get added on switch

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Completing a run in this with only one relic was really fun and challenging and showed how well-thought-out every aspect of it is.

I kind of hit a wall on loop 5-6 with all three characters a few months ago and haven't played in a while but the new character is making me think of getting back into it.

As for playing as the defect, upgrade zap asap, ball lightning might be the best one cost attack card in the game, biased cognition is extremely good but you have to know when to use it, defragment is really good, too. Glacier is useful.

I've never been into card games but StS is great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I heard they traced art on one of the cards from somewhere or something but that's none of my business. Enjoy supporting the lovely devs though OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

I heard they traced art on one of the cards from somewhere or something but that's none of my business. Enjoy supporting the lovely devs though OP.

they traced horse balls from red dead 2

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Threads like this where I have 0 context for what anyone is saying are awesome.

i was thinking the same thing and it reminded me of that post fron the goomba stomp thread

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

- Following a Prideful Gabagool into the Tension Zone and hearing dat music change :ohyeah:

- Getting an air Frenulum just before you hit Ground Twelve

- Standing over a crowd of Slovenly Praksises and grinning before tossing your last Greedy Football amongst them and watching the crowd go muthafuckin wild :catdrugs:

- Saving up your Taint-Forged Blades to trade to the Grossest Parappa........ :drat:

- Perfectly hopping across the Frightingale Floor in time with the enraged noises of the Floor Clown :honk:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

klol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It really is good, op.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Advice for my robot's balls, please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqKX7kor0fY

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

goferchan posted:

Frost orbs are pretty high value for defect , just because he's got access to so many scaling tools and they let him survive long enough to take advantage of them . The uncommon card that gives 2 and blocks (Glacier?) is almost always a good early pick. More orb slots is good and more Focus is good and when you can get a source of both you're, like, scaling multiplicatively, which is great. Also it's not that reliable at higher difficulties but the 0-cost card deck with Claw and All For One etc is really fun and worth trying to pull off if you're offered the right stuff

edit: if I make it to the first campfire without having picked up a better upgrade candidate I will almost always upgrade Zap, having it at 0-cost is really good. Dualcast might be the better choice if you have some other orb generation going on but if you don't you'll risk drawing it with no orbs to actually cast

this is pretty good advice, op.

HolePisser1982 posted:

Echo Form+ and Loop+ do so much heavy lifting for me. Core Surge combos with Hyper Beam and Biased Cog are ftw. Electrodynamics is sick but I swear I die 90% of the time I pick it up, so it may not actually be good

core surge is one of the best defect cards, even if you don't have another card to combo with it. a neat trick is core surge plus one of the +5 str/dex potions, makes it so the buff doesn't go away at the end of the turn

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Traded in my starting relic and got the bell/anchor/wheel/ink bottle. Probably the best trade i’ve gotten doing that normally im not so lucky.

E: Run died toward the end of floor 2. Took a risk taking a curse card and then never got a shop to remove it.

tao of lmao fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 22, 2020

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I also forget i have potions way too often. Potions should be special cards in your hand so simps like me would remember to use them.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

tao of lmao posted:

Not sure how I need to build out the defect. Tried a few going all lightning or cold, tried a few rainbow builds, so far nothing has clicked. What kind of strats should I be going for?

act 1 you want to work on getting damage, don't worry to much about getting cards for your 'build' yet unless it's something really juicy. in this act you should be trying to fight a lot of peeps so you can build your deck out

act 2 is where you want to start forming your deck, you'll want to remove bad cards from your deck (like strikes) and work on getting a good defense. i like to get the '?' at this stage as well.

act 3 is where you want to start working on your damage scaling, and fine-tune your deck by removing more cards. I usually do a mix of '?' and fighting enemies at this stage.

for defect cards that grant focus are really good. biased cognition should probably always be picked up whenever you see it as well as defragments

in general you don't want a lot of cards in your deck, you want only as many to be able to complete your strat. with defect you need to be able to get more orb slots, up your focus, and add orbs. you want to be able to fill your slots and then create more orbs so it activates the next one in line, that way you have a constant flow of damage/armor.

edit: you always should consider removing cards from your deck, it's just that if you do it too early (esp with defect) you could run the risk of not being able to put out enough damage to kill the act 1 boss

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The new character is really strong, im bad at this game but beat the act 3 boss on my first try with her.

the defect is tough to win with though. its normally a good move to go for as many ? spaces as you can, they can remove cards from your deck if youre lucky

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Brasseye posted:

The new character is really strong, im bad at this game but beat the act 3 boss on my first try with her.

the defect is tough to win with though. its normally a good move to go for as many ? spaces as you can, they can remove cards from your deck if youre lucky

Be careful with dodging too many fights (especially in act 1). If you're not collecting enough gold/cards/potions, it's easy to end up with a deck that just doesn't do anything powerful enough to beat elites/bosses.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Finished Ascension 1 with Defect.

Traded my starter relic for astrolabe and rolled from there into a hyperbeam+ first time I've won with Defect with an orbless build and it was pretty dicey near the end but 5 claws and 2 reprograms do work.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

little munchkin posted:

Be careful with dodging too many fights (especially in act 1). If you're not collecting enough gold/cards/potions, it's easy to end up with a deck that just doesn't do anything powerful enough to beat elites/bosses.

I haven’t played much but this has highlighted a major source of my troubles with this game lol.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The first three normal fights on each floor are drawn from an easier encounter pool so when picking a starting path, don't immediately decide to pick one with less early fights because getting better cards is super important.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Finally got a win with defect last night. Then went back with ironclad on ascension 1 and made it to the elite before the final boss.

Tried out the new character and that seems like a lot of fun potentially.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

Finally got a win with defect last night. Then went back with ironclad on ascension 1 and made it to the elite before the final boss.

Tried out the new character and that seems like a lot of fun potentially.

If you're picking your fights well Ascension 1 can be easier than A0. More elites just means more relics (although unless I have a godlike deck I'm usually still avoiding elite fights in Act III because some of them are really nasty) . After that though things just strictly start getting harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I could tell i was just better at the game after doing the silent and defect runs. Having the meta strategy down goes a long way.