Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm back and forth on the India thing. Actually criminalising trying to get into the country if you were in India in the last 14 days is a step too far (and an attempt to offload our quarantine risks onto some third party country that somebody might layover in) but it's weird to me that people flipped out about the suspension of flights when we did it like two weeks after everyone else. New Zealand suspended flights in the first half of April.

In fact it's not clear to me whether or not NZ has also criminalised/banned entry for returning citizens who were in India recently:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/441413/india-travel-ban-lifts-as-new-zealanders-stuck-there-plead-for-help-to-get-them-home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

I'm back and forth on the India thing. Actually criminalising trying to get into the country if you were in India in the last 14 days is a step too far (and an attempt to offload our quarantine risks onto some third party country that somebody might layover in) but it's weird to me that people flipped out about the suspension of flights when we did it like two weeks after everyone else. New Zealand suspended flights in the first half of April.

In fact it's not clear to me whether or not NZ has also criminalised/banned entry for returning citizens who were in India recently:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/441413/india-travel-ban-lifts-as-new-zealanders-stuck-there-plead-for-help-to-get-them-home

Yeah I'm not too sympathetic, I keep hearing about people who went over fairly recently for various reasons, and very few who have been stuck there since the borders first closed in March last year. As far as I'm concerned anyone who left the country after the borders shut did so at their own risk and they can come back when it suits us.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I consider myself a COVID police state apologist but I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of Australians who have family in India, lots of people who want to attend funerals or care for elderly relatives in a country without a social safety net, etc. And there are definitely at least some people who have been stuck there for a year given that the airlines are mostly just running business class flights at 10k a pop or whatever.

My attitude is generally:

a) the border closures, up to and including harsh measures against India right now, are grim but acceptable; the rights and plights of 20,000-odd Australians in a plague-stricken part of the world do not outweigh the rights and plights of 25 million+ Australians living in a COVID-free Australia;

but also,

b) the government absolutely should and could have done more to help people get home over the past year, including building or adapting more facilities to raise incoming arrival caps and including organising more mercy flights like they did early on. We bailed out Australian airlines with over a billion dollars of taxpayer money at the start of the pandemic, just grow some loving balls and nationalise Qantas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Hell yeah, having a great time here in good ol 'Berta

It is quite remarkable how "has a right-wing government" is apparently the biggest and most consistent risk factor for infection.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

I consider myself a COVID police state apologist but I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of Australians who have family in India, lots of people who want to attend funerals or care for elderly relatives in a country without a social safety net, etc. And there are definitely at least some people who have been stuck there for a year given that the airlines are mostly just running business class flights at 10k a pop or whatever.

My attitude is generally:

a) the border closures, up to and including harsh measures against India right now, are grim but acceptable; the rights and plights of 20,000-odd Australians in a plague-stricken part of the world do not outweigh the rights and plights of 25 million+ Australians living in a COVID-free Australia;

but also,

b) the government absolutely should and could have done more to help people get home over the past year, including building or adapting more facilities to raise incoming arrival caps and including organising more mercy flights like they did early on. We bailed out Australian airlines with over a billion dollars of taxpayer money at the start of the pandemic, just grow some loving balls and nationalise Qantas.

Yeah it's not like people were popping over to the subcontinent for funsies, each of them had to apply for a government exemption to travel. It's not like at the start of the pandemic last year when people were still booking cruises even though it was obviously a very very bad idea and then asking for the government to bail them out when the ships were refused entry to all ports and got stranded at sea

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do you reconcile that everyone should absolutely stay where they are for the time being and not go out and that countries should accept whoever, whenever?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Play posted:

Yeah I hadn't realized people would actually be tested beforehand, that makes more sense as an experiment. But really what it's testing is if someone still brings covid in despite being tested, right?'

A relevant story:

One weekend several years ago I went to an OUTDOOR festival called Emissions. Lots of drinking and drug use and general shennanigans. The whole thing was a gross petri dish of shared fluids and close quarters.

Anyways, it comes to pass that some kind of bizarre and dangerous variant of flu had spread rapidly, beginning to strike most people on the final day, which was then termed the Belden Death Flu, Belden town being the location of the festival. Not sure if the conditions allowed a normal flu variant to mutate into something worse but this flu was one of the most hosed flus I've ever had.

I was already wrecked enough from all the drugs and sleepless nights but then having to drive a bunch of us home, some of them beginning to vomit from the flu and myself beginning to hallucinate as I drove. No one else was in any state to drive though and I wouldn't trust them to anyways, I'm good at maintaining focus in adverse conditions. When I somehow finally made it home I took my temperature straight away and it was over 102, so it was basically a miracle I even got back and didn't kill us all.

Facebook later informed me that hundreds of other people had fallen prey to the Belden death flu, probably half of them couldn't go to work the next week and, oh yeah, it was finals week in the UC system so the death flu probably ruined a couple lives at minimum. So yeah, even an outdoor festival can result in a massive outbreak if people have no prior reason to be concerned.

This happens every year at Oktoberfest in Munich (RIP). We call it the "Wiesn-Grippe" and it usually strikes Munich in calender weeks 41 and 42.

Usually comes from all the singing, screaming, kissing and whatever type of fornication that ensues in addition to the mugs not being washed hot&long enough between uses.

I remember an article depicting the actual huge financial impact this has on the economy, but I can't seem to find it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lolie posted:

Probably. There's no way the death toll being reported is accurate, either, although I doubt that can be counted accurately.

Yeah, the statistics don't add up; you can't have half of the new cases globally, but only have one third or fourth of the deaths for several weeks in a row.

So we know that they are low balling the numbers, and we know that they are definitely low balling deaths. And there already are news stories of crematoriums which have the official quotas of 7 COVID-19 hazardous body disposals per day having done "at least 40" each day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No way they will be able to give even a remotely accurate figure until the next big statistics gathering thing happens, probably taxes.

Took months for the U.K. office of National statistics to sort out the numbers and show us how many more deaths in comparison to last year, and there is always a lag.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Brazil, Turkey, Argentina and Colombia have also had extreme peaks in cases & deaths in the last few weeks which were also undoubtedly underreported by a huge margin, it'll take us years to get any sort of accurate picture of the global toll

E: to give you an indication of how badly India's numbers are being reported, their official case fatality rate has not only stayed below the US & UK CFR for over 12 months now but has even been declining for the last month
:thunk:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

Here's a CNN report on the conditions in India's hospitals which is pretty :nms:, this is not a picture of a country with an improving covid CFR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrefKeWuNpQ&t=8s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 4, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Brazil, Turkey, Argentina and Colombia have also had extreme peaks in cases & deaths in the last few weeks which were also undoubtedly underreported by a huge margin, it'll take us years to get any sort of accurate picture of the global toll

E: to give you an indication of how badly India's numbers are being reported, their official case fatality rate has not only stayed below the US & UK CFR for over 12 months now but has even been declining for the last month
:thunk:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

India has ~6% of population over 65 vs ~26% for UK, so it probably is less deadly for the average person as a baseline.
e: I don't doubt that they're under-reporting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xaintrailles posted:

India has ~6% of population over 65 vs ~26% for UK, so it probably is less deadly for the average person as a baseline.
e: I don't doubt that they're under-reporting.

The flip side of it is that conditions there are also to secondary infections like a nail is to a hammer. It’s also got the most cases of TB which I can’t imagine pairs well with the virus at all.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The sanitation in parts of India is loving horrific is the elephant in the room here, yes it’s got better in recent years but Delhi is basically foul ol Ron with it’s own sentient stink cloud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_India

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s probably not even the elephant in the room in India.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Moderna dose 2 is definitely a bit rougher than dose one, at least so far. Got the shot at 4 pm yesterday, woke up this morning and felt okay. But after a few minutes I felt pretty nauseous, and that's been coming and going for the last 2 hours or so.

My wife is fine so far at least.

Now begins the long, painful struggle to get my in-laws vaccinated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

How do you reconcile that everyone should absolutely stay where they are for the time being and not go out and that countries should accept whoever, whenever?

a lot of people are just going "BUT I DID MY TIME IN QUARANTINE AND NOW I GOT VACCINATED SO gently caress YOU I DO WHATEVER I WANT". gently caress, they've been screaming they did their time since last may. and because of them, good people will continue to die in droves. and there is nothing we can do about it other than sigh and rub our temples and keep dealing with the dead.

If nothing else, a few countries seem to be trending even better downward over the past few days. Hopefully that's not just weekend lows and it stays that way this week.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
People who have been vaccinated are not the cause of people dying. Jesus Christ what is wrong with you.

You're going to be sad when this is all over, aren't you? This doom fixation is the only thing you have. Best of luck with that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do not nor will I ever understand vaccine deniers.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

a lot of people are just going "BUT I DID MY TIME IN QUARANTINE AND NOW I GOT VACCINATED SO gently caress YOU I DO WHATEVER I WANT". gently caress, they've been screaming they did their time since last may. and because of them, good people will continue to die in droves. and there is nothing we can do about it other than sigh and rub our temples and keep dealing with the dead.

If nothing else, a few countries seem to be trending even better downward over the past few days. Hopefully that's not just weekend lows and it stays that way this week.

The driving force behind spread in the US is chuds who continue to insist everything has been fine, covid isnt real, and will never be vaxxed.

Insisting vaccinated people remain in their home bunkers and blaming them for deaths is lunacy when half the country is an active death cult.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Vaccinations don’t work” some idiot, today.

Meanwhile on AstraZeneca island.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I mean this in all seriousness- you should consider speaking to a mental health professional.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

learnincurve posted:

I do not nor will I ever understand vaccine deniers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/the-people-who-wont-get-the-vaccine/618765/

quote:

Millions Are Saying No to the Vaccines. What Are They Thinking?
Feelings about the vaccine are intertwined with feelings about the pandemic.

Several days ago, the mega-popular podcast host Joe Rogan advised his young listeners to skip the COVID-19 vaccine. “I think you should get vaccinated if you’re vulnerable,” Rogan said. “But if you’re 21 years old, and you say to me, ‘Should I get vaccinated?’ I’ll go, ‘No.’”

Rogan’s comments drew widespread condemnation. But his view is surprisingly common. One in four Americans says they don’t plan to take the COVID-19 vaccine, and about half of Republicans under 50 say they won’t get a vaccine. This partisan vaccine gap is already playing out in the real world. The average number of daily shots has declined 20 percent in the past two weeks, largely because states with larger Trump vote shares are falling off the pace.

What are they thinking, these vaccine-hesitant, vaccine-resistant, and COVID-apathetic? I wanted to know. So I posted an invitation on Twitter for anybody who wasn’t planning to get vaccinated to email me and explain why. In the past few days, I spoke or corresponded with more than a dozen such people. I told them that I was staunchly pro-vaccine, but this wouldn’t be a takedown piece. I wanted to produce an ethnography of a position I didn’t really understand.

The people I spoke with were all under 50. A few of them self-identified as Republican, and none of them claimed the modern Democratic Party as their political home. Most said they weren’t against all vaccines; they were just a “no” on this vaccine. They were COVID-19 no-vaxxers, not overall anti-vaxxers.

Many people I spoke with said they trusted their immune system to protect them. “Nobody ever looks at it from the perspective of a guy who’s like me,” Bradley Baca, a 39-year-old truck driver in Colorado, told me. “As an essential worker, my life was never going to change in the pandemic, and I knew I was going to get COVID no matter what. Now I think I’ve got the antibodies, so why would I take a risk on the vaccine?”

Some had already recovered from COVID-19 and considered the vaccine unnecessary. “In December 2020 I tested positive and experienced many symptoms,” said Derek Perrin, a 31-year-old service technician in Connecticut. “Since I have already survived one recorded bout with this virus, I see no reason to take a vaccine that has only been approved for emergency use. I trust my immune system more than this current experiment.”

Others were worried that the vaccines might have long-term side effects. “As a Black American descendant of slavery, I am bottom caste, in terms of finances,” Georgette Russell, a 40-year-old resident of New Jersey, told me. “The fact that there is no way to sue the government or the pharmaceutical company if I have any adverse reactions is highly problematic to me.”

Many people said they had read up on the risk of COVID-19 to people under 50 and felt that the pandemic didn’t pose a particularly grave threat. “The chances of me dying from a car accident are higher than my dying of COVID,” said Michael Searle, a 36-year-old who owns a consulting firm in Austin, Texas. “But it’s not like I don’t get in my car.”

And many others said that perceived liberal overreach had pushed them to the right. “Before March 2020, I was a solid progressive Democrat,” Jenin Younes, a 37-year-old attorney, said. “I am so disturbed by the Democrats’ failure to recognize the importance of civil liberties. I’ll vote for anyone who takes a strong stand for civil liberties and doesn’t permit the erosion of our fundamental rights that we are seeing now.” Baca, the Colorado truck driver, also told me he didn’t vote much before the pandemic, but the perception of liberal overreach had a strong politicizing effect. “When COVID hit, I saw rights being taken away. So in 2020, I voted for the first time in my life, and I voted all the way Republican down the ballot.”

After many conversations and email exchanges, I came to understand what I think of as the deep story of the American no-vaxxer. And I think the best way to see it clearly is to contrast it with my own story.

My view of the vaccines begins with my view of the pandemic. I really don’t want to get COVID-19. Not only do I want to avoid an illness with uncertain long-term implications, but I also don’t want to pass it along to somebody in a high-risk category, such as my grandmother or an immunocompromised stranger. For more than a year, I radically changed my life to avoid infection. So I was thrilled to hear that the vaccines were effective at blocking severe illness and transmission. I eagerly signed up to take both my shots, even after reading all about the side effects.

The under-50 no-vaxxers’ deep story has a very different starting place. It begins like this:

The coronavirus is a wildly overrated threat. Yes, it’s appropriate and good to protect old and vulnerable people. But I’m not old or vulnerable. If I get it, I’ll be fine. In fact, maybe I have gotten it, and I am fine. I don’t know why I should consider this disease more dangerous than driving a car, a risky thing I do every day without a moment’s worry. Liberals, Democrats, and public-health elites have been so wrong so often, we’d be better off doing the opposite of almost everything they say.

Just as my COVID-19 story shapes my vaccine eagerness, this group’s COVID-19 story shapes their vaccine skepticism. Again and again, I heard variations on this theme:

I don’t need some novel pharmaceutical product to give me permission to do the things I’m already doing. This isn’t even an FDA-approved vaccine; it’s authorized for an emergency. Well, I don’t consider COVID-19 a personal emergency. So why would I sign up to be an early guinea pig for a therapy that I don’t need, whose long-term effects we don’t understand? I’d rather bet on my immune system than on Big Pharma.

For both yes-vaxxers like me and the no-vaxxers I spoke with, feelings about the vaccine are intertwined with feelings about the pandemic.

Although I think I’m right about the vaccines, the truth is that my thinking on this issue is motivated. I canceled vacations, canceled my wedding, avoided indoor dining, and mostly stayed home for 15 months. All that sucked. I am rooting for the vaccines to work.

But the no-vaxxers I spoke with just don’t care. They’ve traveled, eaten in restaurants, gathered with friends inside, gotten COVID-19 or not gotten COVID-19, survived, and decided it was no big deal. What’s more, they’ve survived while flouting the advice of the CDC, the WHO, Anthony Fauci, Democratic lawmakers, and liberals, whom they don’t trust to give them straight answers on anything virus-related.

The no-vaxxers’ reasoning is motivated too. Specifically, they’re motivated to distrust public-health authorities who they’ve decided are a bunch of phony neurotics, and they’re motivated to see the vaccines as a risky pharmaceutical experiment, rather than as a clear breakthrough that might restore normal life (which, again, they barely stopped living). This is the no-vaxxer deep story in a nutshell: I trust my own cells more than I trust pharmaceutical goop; I trust my own mind more than I trust liberal elites‪.

So what will change their minds?

I cannot imagine that any amount of hectoring or shaming, or proclamations from the public-health or Democratic communities, will make much of a difference for this group. “I’ve lost all faith in the media and public-health officials,”said Myles Pindus, a 24-year-old in Brooklyn, who told me he is skeptical of the mRNA vaccines and is interested in the Johnson & Johnson shot. “It might sound crazy, but I’d rather go to Twitter and check out a few people I trust than take guidance from the CDC, or WHO, or Fauci,” Baca, the Colorado truck driver, told me. Other no-vaxxers offered similar appraisals of various Democrats and liberals, but they were typically less printable.

From my conversations, I see three ways to persuade no-vaxxers: make it more convenient to get a shot; make it less convenient to not get a shot; or encourage them to think more socially.

1. Try something like “DoorDash for vaccines.”

To get people to participate in an activity they don’t really care about, you make it as easy and tantalizing as possible. Some people have already suggested offering money, free food, or even lottery tickets in exchange for vaccination. But one source who asked to remain anonymous suggested that state health departments should offer something like DoorDash for vaccines.

With any new technology, the early adopters are the ones most willing to tolerate glitches and a bad experience. That’s fine when supply is limited, but as you try to get to mass market, you need to perfect the product and experience.

All of which to say: Cities should start to roll out a vaccine in-home service, which people can book on short notice. Providers come to you, and maybe bring you some sort of gift along with the vaccine. Cities should have enough capacity and staff to do that at this point, and a service such as this would be key to getting young people in particular to take it.

2. Make it suck more to not be vaccinated.

Governments and companies may find that soft bribery is the best way to get the no-vaxxers to the clinics. Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, for example, has linked her state reopening policies to progress in shots, letting restaurants and bars increase their occupancy once 60 percent of the state has been vaccinated, and promising to lift mask orders when 70 percent of Michiganders have received both doses.

Millions of people want to go to sporting events, attend concerts, or travel internationally. If those who cannot prove that they’ve been vaccinated are denied service, I expect that some will sign up for shots purely as a means of reengaging in their favorite activities. “If all or most countries instituted vaccine passports, that might change [my mind],” Younes, the attorney, told me.

But the cultural backlash against domestic restrictions could be prodigious. If blue-state governors and sports stadiums deny economic activities to the unvaccinated while red-state stadiums allow anybody to sit at a bar or in the bleachers, it will deepen the culture-war tensions between scolding liberals and accommodating conservatives in a way that might not be good for Democrats politically, even if they have the upper hand in the public-health argument.

3. “What if natural immunity isn’t enough to protect your grandmother?”

The most common argument against the vaccines is: My immune system is good enough for me. One counterargument is: That’s right, but the vaccines are even better at protecting others.

Even for people who have already recovered from COVID-19, getting fully vaccinated strengthens the antibody and T-cell protection against the disease and likely provides superior protection from variants that can pierce our natural immunity.

Why do more levels of protection matter? Because the vaccines aren’t just about building a defensive wall around safe young bodies. We’re also collectively building a wall around the more vulnerable members of society. And little holes in the wall can lead to unnecessary deaths.

In April, the CDC reported that an unvaccinated health-care worker set off an outbreak in a mostly vaccinated Kentucky nursing home. Several vaccinated seniors got sick and two vaccinated residents died. To be absolutely clear: The vaccines worked to protect most residents. But no vaccine is perfect, and the COVID-19 vaccines won’t stop all infections, especially for some people with weak immune systems.

I made this case to several no-vaxxers: Your grandparents, elderly neighbors, and immunocompromised friends will be safer if you’re vaccinated, even if you’ve already been infected. I played with the “COVID is no worse than driving” metaphor that many of them offered. I agree that driving is acceptably safe for most people, I said. But imagine, I added, if you could have a forward collision warning system installed in your car for free? An already-pretty-safe activity would become an even safer activity; and what’s more, you’d be protecting other people on the road at minimal cost to yourself.

I can’t tell you this argument got a lot of people to drop the phone, sprint to a vaccine clinic, and sign up for a Fauci tattoo on their arm. The truth is that I’m not sure that I changed anybody’s mind. But I can honestly say that this argument gave several no-vaxxers a bit of pause. They responded by talking about chains of transmission throughout the community, rather than focusing on their own immune system. Several of them asked to see evidence of my position so that they could examine it for themselves.

The United States suffers from a deficit of imagining the lives of other people. This is true of my side: Vaccinated liberals don’t take much time to calmly hear out the logic of those refusing the shots. But it’s also true of the no-vaxxers, who might reconsider their view if they grasped the far-ranging consequences of their private vaccination decisions. Instead of shaming and hectoring, our focus should be on broadening their circle of care: Your cells might be good enough to protect you, but the shots are better to protect grandpa.

I thought this was a pretty good if overly sympathetic read.

Tl;dr vaccine hesitancy is rooted in a mix of tribalism, narcissism and scientific ignorance.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh that sweet person who asked for patience should take comfort in knowing that there is a demonstrable difference between their perfectly reasonable covid agoraphobia and this. (E: Fluffy bunnies attitude)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
My dad told me he believes that vaccine hesitancy is a result of classist racism. To quote him, 'If a rich white person is telling you COVID is no big deal, it's because they want it to kill more poor people of color.' and it's hard to argue against that notion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See my problem isn’t the hesitancy, it’s the denial that vaccinations are working and idea that we should all stay locked down till everyone is vaccinated - Even from people who have had the vaccination. As I said I also understand the agoraphobia - I went 3 miles away from my house after a year and it was totally freaking me out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Having that agoraphobia is fine, but taking that agoraphobia and insisting everyone should have it even if they’re vaccinated is not. The risk from vaccinated people is so god drat low. And if you find that risk to be to high, then when are you ever going to be good with people actually doing things again? Never? Because it kind of sounds like never.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

FB is definitely rocking what sounds like some PTSD for having done so many funerals in such a short period of time

clearly a bit irrational

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Well I just got vaccinated (Modo). Basically the Canton of Bern (and the rest of Switzerland) is divided informally along the language zones (French and Swiss German; this divide is called the Röstigraben --translates to : hash brown ditch--) and this divide is often a reflection of the greater cultural mores of the greater language speaking regions. And this divide can even be seen in the COVID fallout. For example, at least during the first wave, the distributions of infections/deaths were more similar to their respective language region (outside of Switzerland!) than to Switzerland as a whole. More clearly, the areas in the French speaking regions had similar infection rates to France than to Switzerland in general. The same with Germany and the German speaking regions and Italy and the Italian speaking regions. In the Canton of Bern they have sort of created a scale A-Z of priority. As I mentioned earlier, I am in group N, which for 36 year old non-pre-existing-condition-havers. As it stands the Canton of Bern has only opened up vaccinations to Group L (and have included Group O). However in the French speaking Cantons, they have opened it up to everybody, 16+. In the Canton of Bern there is a city called Biel/Bienne, who sort of straddles this cultural and linguistic divide. And their medical clinic has very quietly opened up vaccinations to everybody as long as you had pre-registered with the Canton. So this morning on their website they said they were open for COVID vaccinations from 10-1 and as soon as I saw this I tripped over my own feet and was out the door. Things are definitely accelerating here, but I doubt I would have gotten a first dose for at least two weeks. We'll see how much time I shaved off but I am extremely pleased.

This guy! This fuckin guy... is a genius and a gentleman.

He's a genius for figuring this one weird trick out and he's a gentleman for PMing me yesterday to tell me about it. I went today about 45 minutes before official opening time, was about the 10-15th person in line and was finished in about 45 minutes. And the best part is that the first day I'll be eligible to go back for the second shot is MY BIRTHDAY :buddy:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

That story posted earlier posted:

1. Try something like “DoorDash for vaccines.”

To get people to participate in an activity they don’t really care about, you make it as easy and tantalizing as possible. Some people have already suggested offering money, free food, or even lottery tickets in exchange for vaccination. But one source who asked to remain anonymous suggested that state health departments should offer something like DoorDash for vaccines.

With any new technology, the early adopters are the ones most willing to tolerate glitches and a bad experience. That’s fine when supply is limited, but as you try to get to mass market, you need to perfect the product and experience.

All of which to say: Cities should start to roll out a vaccine in-home service, which people can book on short notice. Providers come to you, and maybe bring you some sort of gift along with the vaccine. Cities should have enough capacity and staff to do that at this point, and a service such as this would be key to getting young people in particular to take it.

I think this is a very good idea. One thing I've noticed is some people who seem to legitimately believe covid is a problem and want to get the vaccine don't because they aren't really motivated enough or get frustrated with process, finding time to go, where they need to go, etc. It's anecdotal, but I have two friend who both have mentioned wanting to get the vaccine and still haven't gotten it basically out of laziness(I haven't checked since the mass vaxx clinic here started offering walk in, which is much easier, though it's still a 30 minute drive one way for us). On one hand, this is dumb because the vaccine is important, don't treat it like some chore you keep putting off. On the other hand, tons of people will put off things they badly need just because people are naturally lazy. Some friends I managed to help get vaccinated during the week or two after they opened vaccines to everyone by just checking appointments for them and texting them like "Hey this place by you has appointments now" they possibly wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Basically, people are lazy and don't necessarily have the same motivation that someone in this thread has to go get the vaccine. This is also probably why the the vaccination rate gets higher with age, even well after it's opened for all ages. For a 78 year old, covid is an existential threat you need to protect yourself against. For a 28 year old, it's a low personal risk. So the 78 year old has extra personal motivation to get it that the 28 year old does not. They prioritize it the same level as they prioritize the flu shot, even if that's silly. We probably need to go above and beyond what we do for the flu shot to get vaccination rates to 70% or higher. “DoorDash for vaccines.” is just one of many ways we could try to do that. Things like trying to get vaccine days in workplaces, at popular events like sporting events, integrated into other necessary activities like yearly drs appointments, etc would also go a long way to helping.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

People who have been vaccinated are not the cause of people dying. Jesus Christ what is wrong with you.

You're going to be sad when this is all over, aren't you? This doom fixation is the only thing you have. Best of luck with that.

I'm going to be so happy that I don't have to worry about covid anymore I will probably cry.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Having that agoraphobia is fine, but taking that agoraphobia and insisting everyone should have it even if they’re vaccinated is not. The risk from vaccinated people is so god drat low. And if you find that risk to be to high, then when are you ever going to be good with people actually doing things again? Never? Because it kind of sounds like never.

I don't have agoraphobia. It'll be great when we're at a level of herd immunity via vaccines that it's cool for people to do stuff like we used to.

boar guy posted:

FB is definitely rocking what sounds like some PTSD for having done so many funerals in such a short period of time

clearly a bit irrational

I'm glad it's cool for a man to call a woman both hysterical and to make armchair bullshit diagnosis, especially when I wasn't talking about you.

Since everybody has to flip out whenever I post, let me make myself a little clearer. I'm talking about the people who got vaccinated and immediately ran off maskless everywhere, even in close indoor places, because they're bored and they did the thing! they deserve rewards! and they're ignoring what medical professionals are currently cautioning against. and it is absolutely still helping to spread this poo poo and kill folks.

(ps: for those who might actually care, we do have mental health professionals on staff and we get checked up on now and again. I'm fine.)

DoorDash for vaccines sounds cool as hell.

E: Oh I missed this one.

Vernii posted:

The driving force behind spread in the US is chuds who continue to insist everything has been fine, covid isnt real, and will never be vaxxed.

Insisting vaccinated people remain in their home bunkers and blaming them for deaths is lunacy when half the country is an active death cult.

Okay, but we're only at 30-ish% fully vaccinated which is nowhere near where we need to be to run back off to normal lives, per all the medical professionals that have been asked. When we're at the levels they've set (which is what, 60-80% depending on who you ask?) fuckin' awesome, let's all go to Applebees. Until then, they do keep asking people to remain mostly in quarantine and the people around here that ignore that have absolutely been responsible for deaths.

When I talk deaths I'm mostly talking pre-vaccine poo poo. GA opened up this time last year and has remained open despite soaring infections and deaths. We're one of the worst vaccinated states in the country.

Additionally, we're going to continue having serious problems if we can't somehow convince the dumb fuckers who are anti-vax/will never be vaxxed. They're a big part of that 60% minimum. I don't have an answer for that, but we need them to get their jabs, too. Maybe it comes with a free case of Budweiser.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 4, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cave-syndrome-keeps-the-vaccinated-in-social-isolation1/

Scientific American posted:

After a year in isolation, many people who have developed an intimate understanding of what it means to socially isolate are afraid to return to their former lives despite being fully vaccinated. There is even a name for their experience: the clinical sounding “cave syndrome.”

Emerging into the light after a year locked inside is proving to be a difficult transition for some people. Jacqueline Gollan, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University, says adjusting to the new normal, whatever it may be, is going to take time. “The pandemic-related changes created a lot of fear and anxiety because of the risk of illness and death, along with the repercussions in many areas of life,” she says. “Even though a person may be vaccinated, they still may find it difficult to let go of that fear because they're overestimating the risk and probability.”

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
there's a difference between "staying in your bunker" and "doing more stuff than you could do before, but still with a mask on, and still not *EVERYTHING* you could do before"

the latter seems very reasonable to me but a lot of ppl seem to think it's the equivalent of the former for some reason!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.askamanager.org/2021/04/people-who-have-been-at-work-all-along-are-exhausted.html

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Classic Comrade posted:

there's a difference between "staying in your bunker" and "doing more stuff than you could do before, but still with a mask on, and still not *EVERYTHING* you could do before"

the latter seems very reasonable to me but a lot of ppl seem to think it's the equivalent of the former for some reason!

and apparently you're mentally ill if you think the latter (which is what's being recommended by medical professionals) is the good one. Which I do, for the record. the problem is getting people to mask up for those events, at least locally anyhow. You can't even make everybody wear a mask that's vending stuff at the local farmer's market in this area

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Since everybody has to flip out whenever I post

you are extrapolating your own personal hell of being in the worst state and having the worst job at the worst time to everyone else. understand that you are closer to it than almost everyone and from the outside you look a little whacky because you think it makes whatever choice you make or judgement you have about others' choices somehow more valid than the next persons and it isnt

what does you being a woman and me being a dude have to do with anything? that's loving weird

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I've noticed a few different types of people that are vaccine hesitant, at least around me.

1) The Hardcore Trump Supporter. My brother-in-law refuses to get vaccinated and has a decorative plate with Trump's face next to his wedding photo. If you ask him why, he says insane garbage about being chipped and it affecting sperm counts.

2) The Ignorant of Science Person. My mother in law does not understand how vaccines work and when my wife explains it she very quickly changes the subject rather than ask questions.

3) The Dangerously Stupid Person. A guy at work caused an outbreak of covid 2 weeks ago because he didn't take a single precaution outside of work. He still refuses to get the vaccine since "I don't know what's in there, bro."

4) The Facebook Researcher. Everything comes from Facebook. "I heard on Facebook that the vaccine alters your DNA!" "I saw on Facebook that somebody died right after the vaccine!"

There are also some people with some more valid reasons. In PA, at least until very recently, you had to schedule an appointment. And, from my experience, most of these were in the 8 am to 6 pm, Monday thru Friday window. I know I've worked several jobs where that wouldn't be able to happen unless I took a sick day, which I generally couldn't afford to do. Now that we have walk-in appointments I hope to see things get a little bit better.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

you are extrapolating your own personal hell of being in the worst state and having the worst job at the worst time to everyone else. understand that you are closer to it than almost everyone and from the outside you look a little whacky because you think it makes whatever choice you make or judgement you have about others' choices somehow more valid than the next persons and it isnt

what does you being a woman and me being a dude have to do with anything? that's loving weird

you've called me an idiot, hysterical, wacky, and you don't like a lady telling you what you did was riskier than what was encouraged at the time. get over yourself and stop trying to find ways to tear me down for having an opinion that's based on what medical professionals are telling us to do. Dudes use poo poo like this to make women look crazy and you know exactly what you're doing and I'm politely asking you to quit.

My "own personal hell" is the state of GA and SC. The stuff I've related in this thread is absolutely everywhere. I am an outlier for wearing a mask anywhere, period. It's fine that I'm concerned about relaxed standards when this place has had inside dining with no mask requirements since last May and we're at nearly 20,000 dead. 1 in every 10 people have had or have covid in this state, statistically. If you live somewhere that's doing better, that's wonderful. I'm really glad if anyone can go do fun things safely. But "safely" is the crux of it. And a lot of people are not performing the correct safety measures.

Including at your soccer games, by your own admittance.

If people were masking up and being safe, I would be at a movie so fast. I'd go out to outdoor dining. I'd go do so much stuff. But they aren't.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've noticed a few different types of people that are vaccine hesitant, at least around me.

1) The Hardcore Trump Supporter. My brother-in-law refuses to get vaccinated and has a decorative plate with Trump's face next to his wedding photo. If you ask him why, he says insane garbage about being chipped and it affecting sperm counts.

2) The Ignorant of Science Person. My mother in law does not understand how vaccines work and when my wife explains it she very quickly changes the subject rather than ask questions.

3) The Dangerously Stupid Person. A guy at work caused an outbreak of covid 2 weeks ago because he didn't take a single precaution outside of work. He still refuses to get the vaccine since "I don't know what's in there, bro."

4) The Facebook Researcher. Everything comes from Facebook. "I heard on Facebook that the vaccine alters your DNA!" "I saw on Facebook that somebody died right after the vaccine!"

There are also some people with some more valid reasons. In PA, at least until very recently, you had to schedule an appointment. And, from my experience, most of these were in the 8 am to 6 pm, Monday thru Friday window. I know I've worked several jobs where that wouldn't be able to happen unless I took a sick day, which I generally couldn't afford to do. Now that we have walk-in appointments I hope to see things get a little bit better.

1 and 3 are the most prolific around here. 3 is the absolute mass of spreaders like my behind-me neighbors that still went to church maskless and went out to restaurants maskless in November when they had covid because "it's no worse than a cough, we were just sick for a few days".

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Remaining concerned about an ongoing pandemic isn’t Cave Syndrome or whatever but insisting that vaccinated people are anywhere close to the problem has gotta be something

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you've called me an idiot, hysterical, wacky, and you don't like a lady telling you what you did was riskier than what was encouraged at the time. get over yourself and stop trying to find ways to tear me down for having an opinion that's based on what medical professionals are telling us to do. Dudes use poo poo like this to make women look crazy and you know exactly what you're doing and I'm politely asking you to quit.

that is absolutely not what i am doing. i had no idea you were a woman until you mentioned it and you're also assuming i'm male, so gently caress off with that poo poo yourself. i also didnt realize the whole stigma around 'hysterical' and thanked the person that educated me about it.

you're not acting rationally and maybe the fact that everyone here is tellling you that is a signal that you should consider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
this thread is getting really bad lately, even for GBS. gas