Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Here's a puzzler:

Who is more obnoxious: The boomers on Twitter saying this is literally just the sniffles and we need to run out and buy buy buy or the dudes convinced this is literally the T-Virus and we're all going to be infected and die and even if we do survive we are going to enter WW3 all of us are gonna die

it's always the boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Settle down, no one is saying one is worse than the other.

i am. i am saying the boomers are worse. newport beach, california, the reddest part of this blue-rear end state, is full of rich olds that are going about their business as if literally nothing is happening and it's infuriating

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

thatguy posted:

I live in South Carolina, and my Puerto Rican nextdoor neighbor is 80 and cries about how she wants to go back to Connecticut every time I talk to her and how her 45 year old daughter and her husband won't let her. I mean I'm real sorry she tried to come within 5 feet of me to give me a sandwich and her life hasn't changed at all but I'm not gonna start giving her omg those boomers lmao eyerolls every time I talk to her from 20 feet away

try as i might i can't parse what you're saying here

Earwicker posted:

lol no. newport beach has a lot of old rich republicans sure but its downright progressive compared to some of the more rural areas of ca

everyone knows that rural areas don't matter

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Something I'm really confused about :

How are all the Trump supporters who are also calling the quarantine this huge preview of the 1984 takeover of the country making sense of Trump being 100% behind it?

the answer is always 'cognitive dissonance'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Trump can do no wrong.

Something good happens? Trump did it.

Something bad happens? Democrats and foreigners did it.

That's the entire thought process.

yeah and if everybody would just fall in line things would be bigly beautiful but those demonrats oppose him at every turn

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Download a screen mirroring app and project your phone onto the chrome browser on a pc. Personally i use Vysor for that.

yeah if you're using a PC the latest Windows 10 update added phone mirroring to the desktop

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4531293/your-phone-system-requirements-and-set-up

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

in my state (california) it's definitely illegal. although it's only enforced in public, and even then only sometimes. people still have house parties and large family dinners etc

in other states at least two religious leaders have been arrested for holding services in spite of the ban on gatherings

"In one of the most iron-fisted containment methods of any state, Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered all California residents to “shelter in place” on Thursday, to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

What that means:

Only employees for “essential” sectors like healthcare, government, and pharmacies are allowed to go to work. Restaurants are open for takeout and delivery only.
Other residents may leave their homes only for exercise or essential items like groceries and prescription medications, keeping six feet between them at all times.
Violations are punishable as a misdemeanor, though Newsom said social pressure will keep people indoors rather than law enforcement."

everyone is still violating this order, gathering in parks and having cocktail hours 'where we stay six feet apart' in their neighborhoods

i got in a fight with someone i've know for almost 20 years when i called them a dipshit for going to starbucks 4 times a day in their pajamas and they just couldn't understand why i couldn't take a joke

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

comin' at you live from the civil defense shack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlse3yycOg

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

in my part of LA the parks are not crowded and people are generally pretty good about keeping distance on the street. but the idea that there is any kind of "iron fisted containment" going on is a joke. however at least all the beaches are closed

yeah down here no one in OC cares either

it's not Australia levels of 'leaving your house for any reason is illegal', at least from my understanding, and as such, no one is taking it seriously

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

LA county officials announced yesterday that this week people should avoid even going to the grocery store if possible.

far too many people take "should" as a challenge

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that the whole point? You don't go out to hang at the grocery store, you only go if you're running out of food.

i think it's like 'if you need sustenance, go ahead and go to the store, but the ginger you need for the perfect fried rice can wait'

again, though, none of it carries the force of law. the local donut place, the dry cleaner, etc.- all still open

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

Is Preakness still happening? That’s going to be a mess.

Edit: Well, more of a mess.

nope

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Lmao, are you guys trying to make the situation worse. Like, actively trying?

who are you talking to
about what

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

They charged the full amount. I called the store and they said to call back in about an hour when the person in charge gets back and we can figure something out. I guess that's good enough.

Duck is indeed delicious but I can't afford poo poo like that right now. Or ever, really.

just remember that if you were using Instacart, the app very VERY strongly pushes shoppers to get outrageous substitutions rather than nothing so it probably wasn't the shopper's fault
also remember that in almost every state it's illegal to return fish/fowl/beef to the store for very good reasons

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

Is this the actual supermarket or Instacart or something? Cause if I would be furious if someone hosed up my order that bad.

furious at the poor person risking their life to get your groceries? furious?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

The supermarket. I'm not angry or anything, just not sure what to do because I really don't wanna go to the store. That place is still packed to the gills every day.

call customer service. there's no way that store is taking those ducks back but you should get to pay the chicken price

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

That's the reasonable thing to happen.

that's what Insta does- although their customer service is backed up for days right now

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i know everyone is ordering everything in right now and i did insta for a while and still get their emails and stuff so as a reminder:

the apps lie about how much of the tip the driver gets. universally. tip them in cash if you want them to get it.
the drivers are literally risking their lives so you dont have to so try not to be such a loving karen about things. (this is not aimed at anyone in particular. just general advice.)
sample pay- insta in my area, which pays better than others, has a promo right now, if you do 15 deliveries in 6 days they'll give you an extra $150, so that's $17 per run base pay. right now it's probabably taking at least 2 hours to do that run. capitalism accordingly.
consider getting your own poo poo. no one drives for a delivery service because they want to or because it pays well. its a desperate thing to do and right now its even more desperate. be flexible. be human. be nice.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

:rolleyes: Furious at ignoring the "no subs" instructions and picking up something six times the original price.

the instacart app, anyway, makes it a real pain in the rear end NOT to substitute something, and lowers your tip if you don't. there are a poo poo ton of people out there that are new to it and intimidated by it. if you can afford the markup on delivered groceries you can carry the difference while they work through the back log and eventually fix it

'id be furious' is some customer is always right bullshit, especially now

edit: all im saying is chill a lil'

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Doesn’t the driver tell you what the subs are at the door and take them away and refund if you don’t want them? That’s what the Tesco drivers do here.

this was a grocery store app and they are all different. on insta you can communicate substitutions to the customer while you shop.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

somebody's gotta listen to then ignore the experts, rubber stamping open everything back up as quickly as possible

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hopper posted:

We have seen pandemics before. The problem wit this one is that people are not scared. People will not adhere to restrictions until everybody knows at least 1 person who is severely suffering or died of this. Then they might start to be afraid. But today's society is far to used to being safe to realize this poo poo is at your doorstep everywhere.

This might also be different if Corona was some nasty rear end illness that makes you bleed from all orifices or explodes your head, footage would be all over the Internet and it would be tangible. Right now it is "just the flu" and nobody cares.

people can't connect the dots between 'im healthy and this probably won't kill me so i'm going out' and 'why is this ER so crowded that my kid who broke his ankle playing soccer can't get seen for three days'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lodin posted:

Look at this nice man, can you guess what he wants?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE6B9Mmvpyo

that right there is a sociopath

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we're already a loving month in to this thing, why not ride it out one more month

the last month will have meant nothing if we open up now

please for the love of jebus let this be him announcing the 6 things that will have to be in place before we can open back up, like CA has done

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

popewiles posted:

All I want is for the gov't to airdrop me some weed, it's been 5+ weeks since I've smoked and my dreams have become so vivid it's like I'm living an alternate life at night.

Covid-19 exists in the dream world too so it's not like it's an escape. There's also human looking robots that beat regular humans to death.

no delivery where you live?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Pity that Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin would get royally screwed.

nah, they deserve it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

shovelbum posted:

I like that Trump tells the states: this is not a federal issue, handle it

Which there is clear case law saying interstate compacts that do not infringe on the feds are legal, and also that state level disaster powers are bigly

And then the states go handle this in a relatively conventional way wrt state handling of regional issues

And then Trump LOSES HIS MIND

someone told him he could get sued if he ordered everything back open so he passed the buck to the governors, its not hard to figure out

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Does anyone have the lancet paper dr oz is citing? Still not convinced he means 3% of the CHILDREN will die, that makes no sense from what we know about fatality rates in kids, which seem to be extremely low. Not that it makes his attitude any less ghoulish, but it makes more sense that the 2-3% refers to something involving the general population that opening the schools would precipitate, if 2% of kids die then like 10% of the total population dies based on how much less fatal this is in 8 year olds than 80 year olds...

i mean, who cares? that's a loving ghoulish thing for a doctor to say, no matter what the particulars are

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

I feel some of y'all are going a bit overboard with risk mitigation. Are people seriously concerned they will catch corona pumping gas or when you get a car accident?

yes? have you not noticed how disgusting people are? how many different people a day do you think touch a gas pump handle or the card reader or open the door to go inside

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

Gas station has these disposable plastic gloves. You never touch the gas pump handle or card reader i never go inside always pay at the pump.

my gas station doesn't provide those so i just touched everything through a paper towel and then mercilessly sanitized my hands as soon as i got back in the car. gloves are sold out everywhere

the point is that yes, getting gas equals additional risk, so does getting coffee, grocery shopping, going through the drive through, all the stuff that people are still convincing themselves it's just dandy to do

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Lucky thing I got a haircut the weekend before lockdowns started in my area.

literally left work early to get mine cut on the monday before the tuesday i got laid off on :)

getting a little shaggy but who cares? there's nowhere to be

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve got to refill my chloresteral medicine and the pharmacy that refills them called my dr. And she hasn’t responded for 4 days. Last time they made me come into to do a physical, but gently caress that noise. I’m not going into a medical center during this pandemic for a pill I’ve taken for 5 years. Wondering if they’ll let me telemedicine in.

Lol just checked their website. She’s not even listed now. She ghosted.

usually the pharmacist is authorized to provide at least a short-term amout of meds in cases like these

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I just got an article ordered to summarize that video and I think this might be freelancer abuse. They want a transcript of that poo poo.

hope you got foot pedals :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

dudeness posted:

re: dick armored core. I'm not sure what "shower" means but I assume it's gooood?

show-er not 'shower'

efb

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Can we get some of the resident Trump lovers to explain how they can watch this video and think that the president of the united states is anything other than a total loving moron?

people will watch that video and say to themselves 'yes, it's a good thing that that person represents me to the international community'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

So let's say you're in charge of California government, and you close California beaches. Thousands of people flout the order. Should you assign lifeguards to be on duty? Hand out thousands of tickets? What say you, goons?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-26/california-morons-big-beach-crowds-test-states-stay-at-home-exhortations

i live in OC and i KNOW people that are taking their kids to the beach every day, they are precisely the kinds of people that will gladly send their children to your house for a sleepover but never, ever reciprocate because they cannot stand having children around making noise and being present and just in general annoying them, especially if they are "trying hard to work from home". the more you tell them they can't and shouldn't go out, even if they are legally allowed to, the less they will listen. it's pure selfishness. 'i won't get it' or 'i already had it' are the refrains of the california moron.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

I cannot get over how the god drat US president tweets from a "@real..." handle like a Youtuber who's at risk of being imitated.

he uses it instead of the official @POTUS account because hes not allowed to delete tweets on that one

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Let's be honest.
Despite being a generational epidemic that's spread across the globe, frankly, it hasn't been bad ENOUGH yet to change enough minds.

Your boss, and your boss' boss, all of them will go right back to their same expectations and old ways and will not understand or want to understand what any of this means or meant.
Many of them will say "I know, I understand. I do, but-" and then shrug and motion as if it's beyond their control because they're being directed to return things back to normal. That the status quo must be regained.

There will be no raises, there will be no revolution in working from home, there will be no new attendance policies or service levels. Those that are implemented will be higher, because if you could do it undermanned and in worse conditions, then you can still do it now.
Any other changes will come from higher up, and they will be, as others have mentioned, in the form of the realization that jobs aren't needed and can be easily eliminated or outsourced and off-sited far more cheaply even more quickly and painlessly than had already been in the works.

Other than that, this simply hasn't been a bad enough experience to get enough people to realize that any meaningful or helpful change to workplace dynamics could occur in the far vast majority of fields. THEY didn't die. YOU didn't die. Why can't you come in and work? What's the big deal, after all?

https://forge.medium.com/prepare-for-the-ultimate-gaslighting-6a8ce3f0a0e0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have a N95 that i just hang from the rearview mirror and then sun beats down on it 12 hours a day for a week until next time i need it

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2020