Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm sure the anti-vaccinators are to blame

Even if they're not, I blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Here in Singapore, which has a massive Chinese population in a very dense city unlike say, Scotland and Wisconsin, I’d say there’s maybe 10% of people wearing masks. Ya’ll crazy.

Note if we get wiped out by this disease you can all message me abuse.

EDIT: I can’t tell you how funny the idea of people already wearing masks in Wisconsin is to me.

The masks there are more about the smell of people the living in Wisconsin. The timing is a coincidence.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I was reading somewhere a post by someone withing the country that the Central Government was having trouble getting local governments to report accurate numbers. Can someone shed light on why local governments would downplay this to the Central government? Or is this just someone buying into state propaganda?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, and there are parts of London the police are afraid to go in because the Muslims run them under sharia law. I heard that from my uncle who works at Nintendo.

Lol

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I texted a buddy who, without saying what he does, is in a position to know a bunch about this and how it's being tracked, and I asked him if we're all hosed and he said we'd be fine. But that's all he said, so uhhh, I dunno.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

So he said we'll be fine and he's probably in a position where he can't share details...why are you looking for a reason to be concerned?

He later clarified by saying that as long as you're healthy, not old, and not a child, you're probably okay. A little less comforting. He then gave me this set of epidemiological rules to adhere to in these situations:

1. Don't eat bat or food from where bats poo poo
2. Don't chase chickens
3. Wash your god drat hands.
4. Avoid Countries where food is not eaten with a fork or spoon.
5. Burn the dead.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Suspect A posted:

The optimal human population is 300 selected individuals located in fortress Albania.

Yeah but not one on this site would be selected to be part of those 300, so I'm not sure what to do with this information.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

We have a coworker who's home in China right now and is coming back in a couple weeks. Really hope he doesn't bring anything back.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CassandraZara posted:

Mods please quarantine forums user “Biohazard”

noooo I don't even feel sick!

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Suspect A posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be against eating bats. As long as they were cooked safely. Seems like is about as dangerous eating any mammal within an evolutionary stone toss of ourselves. Just wait when Japan gets their dolphin/whale flu.

Bugs are still my cyberpunk dystopian food of choice though.

Roasted crickets aren't actually too bad. Just gotta spice 'em right.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Suspect A posted:

Exactly my point. This fear mongering about "impure" foods or whatever is silly; unless you're talking about one of those ultra poisonous pufferfish in Japan or something. The problem is unsafe preparation and hunting sickly animals. And China is not known for their food safety standard especially in one of the "markets" it supposedly came from.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil

e. Stupid video

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but I think the problem with eating bats is that they tend to carry a lot of nasty poo poo that can jump the barrier to humans more easily that nasty poo poo other animals carry. That said, I'm not going to deny that there's a fair amount of racism when it comes to what people eat and who's considered "dirty" for it.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

The numbers China is reporting are trash. The real number of deaths is in the many thousands. We’ll probably never know. We have a country that is willing to do everything and anything for their economy (child labor, counterfeiting, sweatshops, currency manipulation just to name a few). You think they will effectively shut down their economy for several weeks and quarantine their largest cities for a virus that has only caused a couple hundred deaths? Not a chance in hell that happens. The numbers they are claiming is a steaming pile of garbage and is intellectually dishonest. No country on the planet (and especially not that country) would be taking the measures that they are if the numbers that they are claiming are anywhere close to accurate.

Any evidence of this or is this just a meltdown? Not defending china, but you sound a little unhinged about this.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

The Chinese government has ordered all businesses that are not necessary for every day life (grocery stores, pharmacies) to be closed until February 9th. No way that the second biggest economy on the planet basically shuts itself down for several weeks with the infected/fatality numbers that they are reporting and expecting us to believe. Once again—their actions are not in line with their numbers. My guess is that the numbers are probably 10x or more greater than what they are claiming.

I guess even if you're wrong, if nothing else it shows why the Chinese government being shady as poo poo is a problem, because no one believes anything they say, and it just creates an enviroment of panic.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lol it should be bannable to post tweets from stupid randos with made up hot takes in threads like this

Admit it, the end days would be way more fun if we knew we engineered ourselves to extinction.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

My Chinese coworker emailed us today to let us know he won’t be allowed back to the us for at least 21 days. He went home for New Years and is just kinda stuck there now.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

golden bubble posted:

**Worse than all top 10 causes of American death combined, but still not enough to trigger any Mad Max or Zombie Apocalypse fantasies.

I know this isn't what you're saying, but I am disturbed by the black and white thinking I keep seeing on this, where people are like "whelp, it's not gonna be like the walking dead, the government won't entirely collapse, so I don't need to prepare in any way." There's a whollllllle lotta real estate between "everything is totally normal" and "we all gonna die" that would drastically change how life looked in this country for an extended period of time.

For example, one thing that pops to mind is that many of the jobs that were added to the econonmy in the wake of 2008 are gig economy typse of jobs, which are generally jobs that involve interacting with a ton of people. Not only would I not want to be, say, and uber driver with a pandemic going on, I also don't want to be a passenger with random drivers I don't know. I would assume that segment of jobs would see a huge decline. Then the question become, what do those people do for money in an economy where people in urban areas basically don't want to leave their houses.

It does make me glad that I could in theory do my job remotely. If it comes down to it, I'm grabbing my laptop and heading for the mountains for awhile. I highly doubt it'll come to that, but I'm gonna be drat sure I'm prepared to if need be.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

My sister in law is for some god knows why reason choosing to have an elective surgery tomorrow. Beyond just taking an unnecessary risk with her own health, it means my 76 year old mom helping out with their 2 young kids. And then the plan is to have their kids go hang out with their cousins, who’s parents I do to trust not to allow their children to run around the neighborhood with every kid by them. It’d be really nice if my mom didn’t die cause of this poo poo.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

They canx all elective surgery in my state.

I really don’t know who the docs are doing it at this point. I’m in CO for reference. It just feels careless to me.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

AnnoyBot posted:

We need to start throwing architects at this and designing plague proof schools. We can't sacrifice a generation to 18 hours a day of youtube. I was hoping my society-shutting-down daydreams would be more "Hope and Glory" and less... this.

Like what would it take? Let's say nothing but concrete and stainless. 50 entrances. A cube per student with multiple 4k screens. Individual HVAC for each student. Everything purged with appropriate disinfectant any time a person passes through, like those urban self cleaning toilets. Each entrance fogged after each person enters/exits, which is why I specified a high #.

Am I crazy? Realistic scenarios are talking 18 months of this and there is just no way society can do that. No way. The data shows isolation works, but there's got to be a way to design around it and keep going.

So architect chiming in. I do think we have a big place to step up right now, but’s it’s in the healthcare sector (bias: I now work in the healthcare sector)

That said, I used to work in k-12 schools. I’ll tell you what I told parents about school shootings. There’s a lot we’re going to learn here, and we’re gonna make better choices, design schools better, and come up with new codes and requirements to make sure safety is ensured to a degree. But, that said, in the same way that we can’t and don’t want design schools like prisons, and we can’t afford to put bulletproof glass everywhere, we have some tough conversations coming up about how schools are designed, particularly from an infection control standpoint, and what costs make sense to us.

That means money though. I’ve done school projects for less than 150 bucks a sf. In healthcare it’s pretty typical for any sort of inpatient focus to run 500 or more a sf.

That said there’s plenty architects and the construction field can be doing go help figure things out and how to move faster and I hope we find a way to get engaged. There’s a group out of Boston called MASS design group that did a bunch of fascinating research on open air or other primitive setting hospitals in Africa and how to beat control disease in them. That research could be critical in helping set up mash style hospitals in the us.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Getting ready

As in $$$?

Probably right

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Spinz posted:

It's going to be Trump vs. some Governors now
Holy poo poo

I think Trump holds most of the cards

Serious question, through what avenue can trump really force the states to lift restrictions? Like if he orders it, and the governors don't comply, essentially wouldn't it just end up in court and be argued about for months, thereby negating the "you must open now" order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

But getting it to the supreme court would no doubt take going through other courts no? Like again I think it'd take at least a month. Like with Bush V Gore, they had to have the state supreme court rule on it, and then brought it to the SCOTUS. Presumeable he'd have to do that with each individual state who's own supreme court ruled against his orders.