Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

With thunderous applause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

George is an astute political commentator

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Namtab posted:

With thunderous applause

*applauds thunderously*

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

*me in like 2005* gently caress. that's deep man

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hosed up if true

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

just the biggest, most ugely applause

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Namtab posted:

George is an astute political commentator

god bless george for his deconstruction of liberal democracy and advocacy for worker states

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hosed up if true

It true!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's such a memorable line... the prequels are full of them

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im booing, not because i know whats going on, im just being a rebel (haha)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The battle drouds represent automation, the enemy of the proletariat clones

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If democracy was so laudable to begin with it would have maintained better checks and balances on palpatine to ensure that he had to attempt to carry out the war in good faith. George's position is essentially that people are fundamentally disinterested and will allow dictators to seize power through incompetence and he may well be right.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Now bear in mind I'm not saying he made good movies or anything or even that in his mind this was the story he was trying to tell.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

reignofevil posted:

If democracy was so laudable to begin with it would have maintained better checks and balances on palpatine to ensure that he had to attempt to carry out the war in good faith. George's position is essentially that people are fundamentally disinterested and will allow dictators to seize power through incompetence and he may well be right.

tbf it did take him 40 years between becoming chancellor and dissolving the senate

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sometimes its the story in our hearts that count, like how jar jar is the essence of literalism

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
even the ET's clapped

that's canon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

*me in like 2005* gently caress. that's deep man

*me, now in 2020* drat. thats deep

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I clapped when democracy died

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've heard arguments that George should have made the Jedi more sinister in the prequels but honestly they're already pretty fuckin' bad. Remember in Attack of the Clones where Obi-Wan slices that assassin's arm off in the middle of a crowded bar and Anakin just cows the crowd with "Jedi business, go back to your drinks."? Or when Yoda and Mace Windu tell Obi-Wan "yeah, grab that bounty hunter, drag his rear end back here. question him, we will."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Palpatine succeeded by manipulating the corporations in which he had an interest into conflict with the state and then holding them up as a boogeyman. They’re the perfect boogeyman because they are in fact evil as poo poo and will make people genuinely, unironically glad when a ruthless tyrant arrives to crush them at whatever price.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the prequels depict a stagnant liberal democracy's slide into fascism. the man's a genius.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Democracy Now! only it's hosted by a cyclops elephant

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've heard arguments that George should have made the Jedi more sinister in the prequels but honestly they're already pretty fuckin' bad. Remember in Attack of the Clones where Obi-Wan slices that assassin's arm off in the middle of a crowded bar and Anakin just cows the crowd with "Jedi business, go back to your drinks."? Or when Yoda and Mace Windu tell Obi-Wan "yeah, grab that bounty hunter, drag his rear end back here. question him, we will."

The Jedi were always loving assholes lol. Obi-wan deliberately lied to and manipulated Luke from the moment he met him in the Wastes. He continues to defend this lie literally from beyond the grave.

The Jedi ideology isn’t an absolute moral good and all Lucas’ stories, and a lot of the better non-Lucas stuff, accept this and proceed from that point of view.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I would have preferred if democracy died to the senate lolling real hard, just hooting and hollering away

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Namtab posted:

I would have preferred if democracy died to the senate lolling real hard, just hooting and hollering away

did palpy not cackle after his speech?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did palpy not cackle after his speech?

Yeah but think how much better it would have been if he laughed and the world laughed with him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

the prequels depict a stagnant liberal democracy's slide into fascism. the man's a genius.

The prequels are stupid, which ended up being a pretty accurate prediction for the world also

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

The prequels are stupid, which ended up being a pretty accurate prediction for the world also

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Funny because the prequels are how a good example of how art dies, with stories and characters being ignored in order to convey heavy-handed and unconvincing tales of politics. Regardless of how correct the message is.

Oh yeah, don't forget fart jokes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lets keep this thread on topic by discussing other good noises democracy dying makes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Lets keep this thread on topic by discussing other good noises democracy dying makes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIYVMwi-cVE

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
if democracy died with nobody really noticing then maybe he's a genius

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

reignofevil posted:

Definitely stood the test of time so far

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Generico posted:

if democracy died with nobody really noticing then maybe he's a genius

But did it make a noise

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Democracy dies when you flush it down the toilet

It takes 10 or 15 flushes

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Galatic Republic failed because it didn't adopt my extremely specific ideas on federal corporatism

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ashpanash posted:

Funny because the prequels are how a good example of how art dies,

I heard that some art critics bemoaned the original Star Wars as a degenerate mess of indulgent nostalgia, heralding the decline of American empire

and honestly looking back over the last forty years I think they may have been right

but I still love me a good fuckin' star war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I heard that some art critics bemoaned the original Star Wars as a degenerate mess of indulgent nostalgia, heralding the decline of American empire

and honestly looking back over the last forty years I think they may have been right

but I still love me a good fuckin' star war

Not empty-quoting this.

I think one of the best things that the original trilogy did was introduce a science fiction franchise that wasn't glitz and buck rogers chrome, where poo poo is dirty and ugly because it was built by space truckers for space truckers. Real world design also makes art critics cringe.

On topic, I do wish there had been a bit more of a nod to the jedi being a religious order of secret police with mind control powers.