Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I forgot this scene happened in the sequel trilogy and seeing it next to Vespa fainting is just :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

President Skroob, salute!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Those top two are too good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Spaceballs to Star Wars what Galaxy Quest is to Star Trek?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Spaceballs to Star Wars what Galaxy Quest is to Star Trek?

yes

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yes but with some more actual critical satire (the merchandizing) whereas Galaxy Quest is an absolute love letter from start to end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SRQ posted:

Yes but with some more actual critical satire (the merchandizing) whereas Galaxy Quest is an absolute love letter from start to end.

Galaxy Quest does indirectly compare William Shatner to Tim Allen, which is a pretty big slam imo

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SRQ posted:

Galaxy Quest does satirize the fandom and the washed uppedness of the actors pretty critically, otherwise yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Making fun of merchandising seems kind of... impotent as satire goes, mind. These days you at least have to point out how the merchandising is undermining the central point of the work.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That seems more like a symptom of this being a 30+ year old movie and the landscape changing in that time.

The merchandising jokes in Spaceballs has more to do with the Star Wars name and license being used outside of the movie, as opposed to now and jokes that would be leveled at how car companies are getting advertising directly in Marvel movies because Tony Stark is driving an Infiniti in this movie, an Audi in the next, etc.

Saying this I realise there is a failure on Mel Brooks's part to take a stab at that kind of marketing, since I believe Spaceballs came out after E.T. and the whole Reese's Pieces thing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It still happens though: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27435151/iron-man-edition-hyundai-kona-2019/

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aces High posted:

That seems more like a symptom of this being a 30+ year old movie and the landscape changing in that time.

The merchandising jokes in Spaceballs has more to do with the Star Wars name and license being used outside of the movie, as opposed to now and jokes that would be leveled at how car companies are getting advertising directly in Marvel movies because Tony Stark is driving an Infiniti in this movie, an Audi in the next, etc.

Saying this I realise there is a failure on Mel Brooks's part to take a stab at that kind of marketing, since I believe Spaceballs came out after E.T. and the whole Reese's Pieces thing
They do show characters in universe using the products, like the toys and the toilet paper. And that canned air sounds at least as good as an ice cold, refreshing dr pepper.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

They do show characters in universe using the products, like the toys and the toilet paper. And that canned air sounds at least as good as an ice cold, refreshing dr pepper.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The merchandising joke came about because Lucas let Brooks use ILM to do the special fx under the stipulation that they don’t produce any merchandise that might compete with Star Wars in the toy aisle.

Additionally, the scene with Dark Helmet playing with his Spaceballs toys was adlibbed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Additionally, the scene with Dark Helmet playing with his Spaceballs toys was adlibbed.

Rick Moranis is great

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

alnilam posted:

Rick Moranis is great

He really is.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

Right but I meant more that in Star Wars movies at that time they weren't including merchandise directly. Yes there was a load of merchandising after the fact but it wasn't directly there in the movies.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It is actually one of the greatest things about Spaceballs that it doesn't actually, like, care at all about Star Wars. It doesn't love Star Wars, it doesn't hate Star Wars, it's not even that interested in Star Wars. It's the complete lack of reverence that gives Spaceballs its sting. Sure, there's probably some missed opportunities for satire, but eh, why do you need to? It's just Star Wars, a successful merchandising franchise. It's not like it's some important cultural touchstone or anything.

The movie plays as if it were made by someone who never actually watched any of the sci-fi movies it parodies because they just think the genre looks kind of obnoxious and you asked them to put together their best guess what happens in those movies based on their impressions on pop culture and this was the result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It is actually one of the greatest things about Spaceballs that it doesn't actually, like, care at all about Star Wars. It doesn't love Star Wars, it doesn't hate Star Wars, it's not even that interested in Star Wars. It's the complete lack of reverence that gives Spaceballs its sting. Sure, there's probably some missed opportunities for satire, but eh, why do you need to? It's just Star Wars, a successful merchandising franchise. It's not like it's some important cultural touchstone or anything.

The movie plays as if it were made by someone who never actually watched any of the sci-fi movies it parodies because they just think the genre looks kind of obnoxious and you asked them to put together their best guess what happens in those movies based on their impressions on pop culture and this was the result.

The weird thing is that description seems like it'd apply to the Seltzer and Friedberg movies that basically killed the parody genre.

Though a key thing is it's not just parodying Star Wars, the finale sequence is clearly a reference to Transformers: The Movie with the whole Unicron sequence, there's the Alien bit and the dog might be a Red Dwarf reference. (Maybe recursive given Red Dwarf had a whole thing with the Cat's alt universe counterpart being a dog) Dark Helmet isn't just a Darth Vader parody, but Rick Moranis playing a hilariously pathetic parody of an evil overlord. (Which does seem to go with Mel Brooks' policy of making Nazis laughable and pathetic) Basically, the movie isn't afraid to have its own identity.

Galaxy Quest has a different tack, but probably a necessary one given Star Trek's different tone- the whole Omega 13 thing seems almost prescient with so many shows (including Star Trek) having Mystery Box plot devices that never end up getting resolved.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The weird thing is that description seems like it'd apply to the Seltzer and Friedberg movies that basically killed the parody genre.

I haven't seen any of those movies but the impression I get (and yes I'm aware of the irony of what I just said) is that they were more "endless-series-of-timely-and-instantly-dated-pop-culture-references-replicated-wholesale-except-someone-gets-kicked-in-the-nuts" while Spaceballs is a more earnest effort in creating an actual movie. Hell, I don’t know how widespread it is but I've heard people talk about how when they were kids they took Spaceballs to be a genuine sci-fi film - they knew it was a comedy, of course, but for them it was almost something like a sci-fi Princess Bride.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dark Helmet isn't just a Darth Vader parody, but Rick Moranis playing a hilariously pathetic parody of an evil overlord. (Which does seem to go with Mel Brooks' policy of making Nazis laughable and pathetic) Basically, the movie isn't afraid to have its own identity.

Strictly speaking, Dark Helmet is arguably not even technically a Darth Vader parody at all. It's not really making fun of the Darth Vader character; the central joke is basically "how hilarious would it be if they got Rick Moranis to try to play Darth Vader for whatever ridiculous reason?" Most of the movie seems to be in that kind of spirit.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Galaxy Quest has a different tack, but probably a necessary one given Star Trek's different tone- the whole Omega 13 thing seems almost prescient with so many shows (including Star Trek) having Mystery Box plot devices that never end up getting resolved.

Hmm, personally I peg Galaxy Quest closer to something like Scream than an outright parody like Spaceballs or Airplane, but it's all YMMV. Maybe somewhere between Scream and Austin Powers on the spectrum of deconstruction/ satire/ parody.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Here’s a couple of videos for ya. First is a behind the scenes look shot during the production of Spaceballs, second is a retrospective look back on the making of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANHMIOK7ec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmUIto_zAU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Dark Laser was also a joke on Darth Vader being totally different underneath the helmet, seeing as how his voice always chances.

I remember being mostly indifferent to the Scary Movie franchise. I ended up watching all of them since Comedy Central kept running them constantly. Parodies have almost disappeared from the big screen, but I think that's more because of corporate reasons. It's hard to pitch goofy dumb ideas to big corporate producers, and most comedy is already at a disadvantange because it doesn't do well in China.

Wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes big companies were also being defensive about people spending big money making fun of them, but really just the strangling of the industry into a few big companies is probably enough. Less movies total being made means much less goofy ideas making it to production.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I haven't seen any of those movies but the impression I get (and yes I'm aware of the irony of what I just said) is that they were more "endless-series-of-timely-and-instantly-dated-pop-culture-references-replicated-wholesale-except-someone-gets-kicked-in-the-nuts" while Spaceballs is a more earnest effort in creating an actual movie. Hell, I don’t know how widespread it is but I've heard people talk about how when they were kids they took Spaceballs to be a genuine sci-fi film - they knew it was a comedy, of course, but for them it was almost something like a sci-fi Princess Bride.

Well, if you're going for a kid-friendly blockbuster movie, you might as well make it stand up on its own.

Actually comes to mind also; a stock parody of sci-fi is having, instead of merchandisable whiz-bang shiny spaceships and guns, you have space's equivalent of rusty old shotguns and lemons. Of course, Star Wars already did that, so the only place to go next is to make the metaphor less subtle with a literal space crappy overpriced RV, but hey, works for a silly spoof. But of course, it also makes sense in-universe to have those, and not just if you're going for a dark and gritty tone- unreliable transport is a staple of drama and comedy after all.

It's like was brought up in the crappy sci-fi tech thread; it's always fun when a setting introduces a piece of fantastical technology/magic/technomagic that's openly shown and acknowledged to be a piece of poo poo. It brings up lots of questions- why was it made, why did it turn out that way, why do people use it anyway- and adds depth to the setting, that these machines aren't just ways to transport characters to the next scene but complex pieces of equipment with moving parts, designers and maintenance needs.

Good genre writing learns from its parodies, because a good parody leans into the bits that people recognise and thinks about them a step further.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Me, reflecting on this thread.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad to see this thread updated

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 4, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Did anyone mention how awesome Space Balls is yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No, you're the first one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nine-gear crow posted:

No, you're the first one.

Man, have I got some news for you guys.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The last time I watched SpaceBalls was in the late 90s, so our rewatch should be sufficiently hilarious. :stoked:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Loveshaft posted:

The last time I watched SpaceBalls was in the late 90s, so our rewatch should be sufficiently hilarious. :stoked:

You're in for a treat. I didn't see it since the 90s also and I saw it a few years ago and I still loved it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 29, 2020

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

My God...they've gone plaid

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2SYbSFGMs&t=76s

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hell, I don’t know how widespread it is but I've heard people talk about how when they were kids they took Spaceballs to be a genuine sci-fi film - they knew it was a comedy, of course, but for them it was almost something like a sci-fi Princess Bride.

This is me. I watched Spaceballs a billion times as a kid before ever watching any Star Wars movie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Andor: “Not if we jam ‘em!”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

Andor: “Not if we jam ‘em!”

OMG I just got to the point in the show where that ship shows up and I am laughing my rear end off still. A big old Star Destroyer with satellite dishes where its guns would be, it's the best New Era Star Wars design.