Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

zer0spunk posted:

2 pages and no mentions of shadows of the empire? what the fuckkk

It’s a poo poo game but I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The arcade game that's like a big pilot's chair and you do space battles and occasionally do a bonus round saber battle with vader

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Kaysette posted:

It’s a poo poo game but I loved it.

it's a game where you fake your own death for fun at the end, what's not to like

its got

trains
sewers
hoth
sand planet??
booba feet

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

alnilam posted:

The arcade game that's like a big pilot's chair and you do space battles and occasionally do a bonus round saber battle with vader

There's a bunch of these, but I managed to play the latest one in Japan a couple of months ago.

Its called Star Wars Battlepod and it was a giant half dome you sit in with cockpit controls. Very arcadey of course but the graphics and audio immersion was fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I usually don't give a gently caress about story in games but the main character in FO is actually kind of cool and a type of Jedi personality we haven't really seen before. Good job on Cameron Monaghan.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Forces
Rebel Assault II
Bounty Hunter for GCN
Yoda Stories
Racer
Chess

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Shaddak posted:

Since no one has brought it up, yet, I'll say Jedi Power Battles. Not a story heavy game but, I played the hell out of it Dreamcast. Never could beat the game with Plo Koon.

a golden oldie

though i think it was basically the phantom menace video game but polished up into something actually enjoyable

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

a golden oldie

though i think it was basically the phantom menace video game but polished up into something actually enjoyable

it was kind of like Star Wars Final Fight but not as good as that would be

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Galactic Battlegrounds was dope, even if was just a reskin of Age of Empires II

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Star Wars Pod racing.

Now there was a mighty fine racing game for the N64

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

a golden oldie

Yep, it was. Still fun, though. Certain nonsense quirks, like battle droids being able to block your lightsaber with their arms, but whatever. Still pissed off I could never get that final unlockable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jedi Power Battles, LOTR Two Towers, and the one pacific front Medal of Honor are the games I played on my cousins ps2 when I was 8 but can't find today

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

As someone mentioned Republic Commando had a great squad system and that one was pretty fun.

Republic Commando is the only game I can think of where you can rely on your team mates to get poo poo done and the game is built around this fact. The first time I played through it I didn't use them and it was a loving nightmare

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ThingOne posted:

Republic Commando is the only game I can think of where you can rely on your team mates to get poo poo done and the game is built around this fact. The first time I played through it I didn't use them and it was a loving nightmare

yeah its actually pretty good outside of sticking you with a lovely rifle for the first hour or so, it works so well

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I'm still not sure how I beat that bridge without sniper support.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The bit I remember is the climax of the star destroyer where you're clearing out the hangars while droids are dropping in; it was so good

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Playing Republic Commando and Battlefront 2 at the same time was a trip because the difference between the super battle droids in those games is night and day.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I remember the old vector based trench run at the bowling alley. Just white wire frames on a black screen: the way video games are meant to be. Clean and perfect.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shbobdb posted:

I remember the old vector based trench run at the bowling alley. Just white wire frames on a black screen: the way video games are meant to be. Clean and perfect.

i played this for the first time recently and it was real good. i was real bad at it, but it was an experience

my actual faves are dark forces, x-wing, and jedi power battles, for reasons already mentioned. was never any good at any of them, either :v:

like, that video that got posted earlier mentioned that DARK was never particularly challenging even on hard, but as a kid i was never able to beat it, or get very far at all, without cheat codes :shobon:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My Star Wars video games tier list.

Goku tier:

Tie Fighter because it rules and the soft "iron man" rules (you cannot save during missions, your score can get erased if you get captured or killed iirc) and it actually makes you think strategically while dodging billion other fighters.

KOTOR 1 because I never liked the slightly :smuggo: approach to the force and universe mechanics in the second game. It's a perfect Star Wars adventure with well defined baddies and probably one of the most impactful twists.

Republic Commando: It's just so good and I'm a sucker for squad based games like this.

Star Wars Galaxies: Probably the epitome of emergent gameplay in MMOs that aren't Eve Online.

A-wing Tier:

Jedi Outcast / Academy: Multi player was just on another level.
KOTOR 2 A very good game.
Rogue Squadron games
X-Wing Alliance / OG X-Wing
Rebellion (I suck at it)
Empire at War

B-Wing Tier

Battlefront
Force Unleashed
Dark Forces - Jedi Knight (the game blew my mind when I first played it tho)
The Old Republic MMO

The rest is C-tier or straight up garbage cash grabs like Prequel PS games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the original Dark Forces is pretty good; held back by a lovely life system

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Raluek posted:

like, that video that got posted earlier mentioned that DARK was never particularly challenging even on hard, but as a kid i was never able to beat it, or get very far at all, without cheat codes :shobon:

He was doing a lot if strafing and moving like in a modern shooter. That isn't the way anyone except maybe a small ultra-elite class of Doom players would have moved at the time. Playing with keyboard arrows makes it a lot harder. I was able to beat it as a kid but it wasn't easy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

zer0spunk posted:

2 pages and no mentions of shadows of the empire? what the fuckkk

same

SOTE rules and nobody better talk poodoo about it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

zer0spunk posted:

it's a game where you fake your own death for fun at the end, what's not to like

its got

trains
sewers
hoth
sand planet??
booba feet

dont forget IG88 and speeder bikes

also there are TWO sand planets. Gall Spaceport is arid as heck

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
secret sam and max lucasarts shout outs

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

He was doing a lot if strafing and moving like in a modern shooter. That isn't the way anyone except maybe a small ultra-elite class of Doom players would have moved at the time. Playing with keyboard arrows makes it a lot harder. I was able to beat it as a kid but it wasn't easy.

The day i learned to strafe was the day i beat all of DOOM in one sitting, it's huge

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dash Rendar's hips swivel like a fuckin machine when you strafe in SOTE

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shbobdb posted:

yeah i was thinking about this after i posted. i never used the mouse for dark forces; i used numpad plus the stock controls on the left.

maybe ill replay it with the mouse and wasd, despite still being bad at video games :shobon:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga is a drat fine game. It’s a very interesting little thing, something I can’t recall having seen before or since: two games, one a sequel to the other, merged into a single package. It was such a slam dunk concept and execution that Traveller’s Tales pivoted to exclusively making LEGO [franchise] games, and while their new work is still quite fun and there have been a lot of innovations since 2007, LSW:TCS will always hold a special place in my heart.

One thing that I personally believe this game does better than modern TT Lego games is the cutscenes. See in modern TT Lego games the cutscenes have dialogue, and are pretty much regular boring video game cutscenes. The older games had no dialogue, so the characters had to communicate using body language and props, which lent them a unique charm. Here, take a look at the first minute of cutscenes from the first game and see if you don’t get a kick out of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was playing Shadows of the Empire today and the control for the swoop bike is so bad on the PC version.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

In Rogue Squadron III on Gamecube, they included the entire Rogue Squadron II campaign for a co-op mode. For this to work right you needed the optional component video cable or else you couldn't see poo poo in split-screen but as luck would have it I did have one. This co-op was amazingly fun and made up for a lot of the bad level design decisions in Rogue Squadron II's single player campaign. Sometimes the mission was just the two of you tagteaming some Imperials, in one of them you were doing Y-Wing bombing runs while your partner was guarding you with an X-Wing, in another one of you was piloting a lambda shuttle while the other was performing tailgunner duties. The final mission was the Death Star run and it took us about a thousand tries because one of us was piloting the Millennium Falcon and the other an X-Wing and we kept crashing into each other. If for some odd reason you have a) an early Gamecube with the port for the optional component video cable you had to order directly from Nintendo b) one of those optional component video cables which is now worth well north of $100 c) a copy of Rogue Squadron III and d) a friend, you really should give this a try.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sadly the PC controls for SOTE are turbofucked in all shapes and forms. the N64 is where it's at...

there's gotta be some mod to remap the PC controls because they are brutal. who the gently caress designs a game where you push the mouse forward to walk? why would you do that to my man Dash?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dash Rendar posted:

who the gently caress designs a game where you push the mouse forward to walk?

holy poo poo piss

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dash Rendar posted:

sadly the PC controls for SOTE are turbofucked in all shapes and forms. the N64 is where it's at...

there's gotta be some mod to remap the PC controls because they are brutal. who the gently caress designs a game where you push the mouse forward to walk? why would you do that to my man Dash?

I managed to get through it, the rest of it is at least manageable but that was just atrocious.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen it mentioned yet - Obi Wan on the original xbox. my favorite xbox game by far. the split screen lightsaber duels were the best

also, lol yoda stories. one of two games my dad had on his computer at work. the other game being Word Find or something. on those boring rear end days i was forced to go to work with my dad, i at least had yoda stories to play

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

does anyone actually play the star wars legion minis game? it looks kinda fun but im reduced to playing both sides on tabletop simulator and im not sure im getting it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, just finished Shadows of the Empire. Definitely aged quite a bit, but it was kind of charming in places.

Save the final level and the swoop bike level.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Shadows of the Empire gets a lot of credit for Defining Hoth In Videogame and being, as an early early N64 game, something pretty much everyone picked up because every N64 release was inherently special for like, a couple of years because NOBODY WAS loving MAKING GAMES. The N64 launched with Mario and Pilotwings and NOTHING THE gently caress ELSE, so Every Release was a Big Release.

People were honest to god hyping up Quest 64. That's how bad things were.

Playing SotE today though, WHOOOOO BOY. The ship levels have held up relatively well, but running around on foot in these gigantic-rear end levels full of hard-to-see turrets and hitscan stormtroopers is not great, and the Swoop Bike can go gently caress itself.

It's not as much of a shitshow as Rogue Squadron 3's on foot levels were, but those were some of the worst gameplay experiences I've ever seen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'd rather run around Echo Base and Gall Spaceport than have to do the stupid tunnels with the jetpack in the Coruscant Sewers and Xizor's Palace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

i'd rather run around Echo Base and Gall Spaceport than have to do the stupid tunnels with the jetpack in the Coruscant Sewers and Xizor's Palace

jetpack mazes are included in the on-foot

and yeah the sewer level is almost as bad as Dark Forces' and that one is so bad Civvie11 counted it as a hundred