Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Schnorkles posted:

Squizzle can you put up a big flashy sign itt that says "only pay attention to medical poo poo from peer reviewed studies" tia

getting goons to try out wacky coronavirus cures is a form of peer review though

shoved a few lavender-soaked cotton balls up my rear end today and i don't have the corona yet so that one definitively works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

i feel like a lot of people are asking questions about my "cayenne-infused olive oil enema" treatment that the name already answers

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

whos gonna twitch stream their carona virus quarantine

336 hour stream let's do this

wow guys thank you so much that's 17 subs so far, i just need uhh... 1983 more to pay off the bill for my corona test, can we get a hype train going??

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

FBS posted:

Wikipedia still only shows 69 US cases

lol, there are probably more than that in the washington nursing home alone

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn't it 1-2% for coronavirus, not 1 in 10 thousand?

it's 0.1% for the 30-40 age bracket last i saw, i wouldn't be surprised if even that's high though because so many people in that bracket will get infected but not severely enough to be diagnosed

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

drat this is 100% gonna gently caress up both the primary and general election lol

if the democrats are going to ratfuck bernie out of the nomination they're definitely going to cancel the convention because of "coronavirus fears" and have the delegates use video chat to vote or something

bernie bros can't mass protest an event in cyberspace!

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

that was just the flu bro

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

britain has tested 12000 people so far and the US has only tested 600

this level of incompetence is genuinely astounding, even in the trump era. china is producing over a million test kits a day and testing anyone who shows up at the doctor's with a fever.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Reclines Obesily posted:

seems from traffic reports things are picking back up in parts of china like shenzhen

the factories are picking back up or the virus is?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

this is impossible to know unless they are literally testing everyone

they are, everyone who goes to the doctor with a fever is getting tested there if the doctor has a testing kit, and china is making over a million a day

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Mozi posted:

according to what they said in the WHO presser, even more than that

it's 1% that are initially asymptomatic when tested positive, and a majority of those go on to develop symptoms later

this doesn't totally square with common knowledge up to this point so some grains of salt are probably called for but i suppose it's basically good news if true

the bad news is that the 2-3% death rate is actually accurate if you do happen to catch it then; the number isn't being inflated by a lack of testing for asymptomatic people

and sure, if there were symptom-less carriers it'd spread easier, but it already has the benefit of being contagious before symptoms begin

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

he can say this but not have to actually pay out for uninsured people if they're never tested

bing bong so simple

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Schmeichy posted:

Come on dude you're been following this thread long enough to know that diminished lung capacity is serious with the coronavirus. You have a kid, call the doctor so you don't die

this is the thing that makes the "don't bother the doctors if you have all of the symptoms, just stay home and cover your coughs" bullshit coming from the government so loving enraging

it carries the implication that you're being a burden on the system by trying to do the right thing and getting yourself tested unless you're being dragged into the hospital barely breathing, not to mention that telling people to self-isolate at home just means more people are going to get infected because, you know, not everyone lives loving alone. we better hope that this thing just miraculously burns out going into spring because so far i've seen no signs that the US government is planning on taking proactive measures to address it.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

who screens the screeners

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Over Easy posted:

if it kills you because you forget to breath because corona-san got in your CNS it's really not the flu that kills you so it's more of a personal responsibility kind of deal

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Covid-19 Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Open Your Mouth And Breath Like Nigga Get Air In Your Lungs Haha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

err posted:

I want to do an effort post explaining that the coronavirus is a CIA op that is intended to destabilize China, Iran, Russia, and possibly disrupt the United States 2020 elections to install a Intelligence friendly President.

But I don't want to get probed like Prester Jane.

i mean it is pretty loving suspect that it started in china and then somehow got to iran and hosed them up hard too, but italy getting ravaged kind of throws a wrench in that idea

unless it was intentionally spread to italy to delegitimize the idea that it's a CIA op :tinfoil:

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

it's up to 10 deaths now from that seattle nursing home and they haven't even loving tested all of the residents yet. one man with dementia got sent home to self-isolate with his son, became sick, and he's still waiting to get tested. there were only 108 residents total and this began what, nearly a week ago now? we can't even get 20 tests a day done?

and this is in the one state that seemed to have its poo poo together

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

the new, deadlier version of the tide pod challenge

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

lol there it is, the CDC is ordering hospitals in Seattle to cease testing and just pretend this isn't happening

they're banking on it being just the flu

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

oh i just noticed the first person in my city has it

36 year old with no underlying conditions who is in serious condition, had been showing symptoms for 10 days before going to the hospital. thank god it's just the flu.

traveled from UK so thankfully not community spread, but who knows how many people she might have infected in those 10 days

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

the great toilet paper wars of the 2020s have begun

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Where did the CDC say it's endemic?

People are gonna get shot when their family starts to die to this and they realize nobody tried to stop it

there's a statement on evergreen health's (that's the hospital where most of the infected people in seattle have been treated) website that the CDC has declared Covid-19 endemic to Washington so they won't be doing any more testing at their clinics

basically they're being told to just give up on detection and containment, it's going to be allowed to spread freely and we won't get any accurate case numbers out of the seattle area. this is going to have the knock on effect of making america's death rate look embarrassingly high but i doubt any of the grifter shitheads now infesting the CDC have put that much thought in to this, they just want to protect daddy trump

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Endemic to the state of Washington or just to that nursing home?

here's the statement, it says the CDC has declared covid-19 endemic to the region

and that guy's tweet was wrong, evergreen health is a hospital with a chain of clinics not the nursing home that got infected

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

brugroffil posted:

That's one way to keep the official numbers down lol

i mean we all joked about trump trying to hide the numbers but i still can't believe we're seeing them actually do this poo poo

the definition of an endemic disease is something like the flu or common cold that always exists at a low level in a region, and generally only sees relatively mild spikes in the number of cases (outside of the seasonal spikes). covid-19 is completely new to the US and so it doesn't even make any loving sense to refer to it as being endemic. and this nonsense is coming down from the CDC according to that statement. i honestly thought they'd still be sticking to the science and maybe be hamstrung a bit by trump, i didn't expect the organization itself to be completely compromised.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm no fancy shmancy technologist, bio or otherwise, but the graph seems incredibly wrong about the number of influenza deaths and smells like bullshit.

WHO numbers for italy 2017 influenza/pneumonia deaths is 8.15 per 100k, which would.make it around ~4k per year. Either 2019 was an incredibly mild influenza year or they used some weird classification where they didn't include deaths from complications for influenza but did for corona-chan

that graph seems pretty accurate to me? including pneumonia in those numbers throws it off because there are ways to get it that don't involve the flu or even any illness, stuff like patients with swallowing disorders aspirating food.

searching for flu deaths in italy it looks like 2019 was relatively light, only 40 deaths by the end of january. there were around 250 total from october to february this season and that number might include some early misdiagnosed covid-19 cases.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

That's fair, but then you need to remove pneumonia cases caused by Corona too which will leave you with almost no ICU cases and probably zero deaths.

That makes for a very boring graph that won't get you any attention, so I understand why they did the dishonest panicmongering thing. A fish gotta swim, gotta publish something. But it's also fair for calling them on this bullshit.

nah you're not understanding: pneumonia can come from non-flu sources, which means flu+pneumonia deaths are always going to be higher than flu deaths alone, which generally will also involve pneumonia.

if you're comparing flu to covid-19 you want just the flu deaths, not flu+pneumonia from other sources. the WHO probably puts those numbers together because it's useful for determining how well a country's medical system handles respiratory crises.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not arguing with you that poo poo is really bad and accelerating at an astonishing rate. I just saw a graph with 30 something influenza death in winter for a boomerified country of ~50 mio and that smelled like total bullshit spinning.

the data in that graph comes directly from the ISS, a government body that monitors admissions to the ICU /deaths from the flu in italy. that number is being compared directly to ICU admissions/deaths from covid-19, which is a completely valid thing to do. and it's not showing 30 deaths for all of the winter, it's showing ~30 deaths over one week in winter.

i agree that those flu deaths seem kind of low, but then again it's only claiming to show those who were hospitalized and got admitted to the ICU/died for both the flu and covid-19. granny dying in bed because she couldn't breathe but didn't go to the hospital wouldn't be counted, but that granny dying of covid-19 isn't going to get counted either so it shouldn't change the comparison much.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Fix posted:

Have we got an actual source on the whole Evergreen not screening thing? I see where they call it endemic on their website, but they say they're still following screening protocols.

they edited it out lol, it was definitely on the public statement page when i was verifying it earlier today

hopefully that means it was just a mistake or they changed their minds, here's an archived page proving it was there

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Zil posted:

Does anyone know if the qanon people are embracing or denying the virus

it's a fake democrat deep state hoax

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Mackers posted:

yo I was wrong jeez

yeah i didn't post about it but i was definitely thinking "this'll all blow over and be nothing just like every other potential pandemic" until sometime in february

turns out this thing is a perfect storm and the only hope now to avoid a massive catastrophe is that the death rate is actually much lower than even the most conservative ~0.5% estimates. germany seems to be doing something right because they have 1k cases and apparently no deaths?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

As soon as she started I was like, describe all the symptoms, and when she did I immediately got into serious advice mode because it sounded exactly like corona :/ she's a tough lady and doesn't take poo poo, so I told her to bring out all get guns for insisting on getting tested. Like she's perfected being an immovable wall as well as being an unstoppable object when it comes to getting poo poo done due to her life experience so I'm confident she can get tested and such

did she have a fever? that's usually the most sure symptom

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

Yes, fever and dry cough. Soon as I heard both of those I went into 'here is what you need to do immediately' mode

yikes, glad she seems to be listening

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

just openly talking about killing the boomers who voted them into government now and the boomers love it hahaahahaha loving 2020 man

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

snoo posted:

every time I see this I want to slap someone

lol did you get that from boomer facebook?

i love that it has found its way back to us loaded with jpg artifacts, like a well-worn dollar bill

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

friendly 2 da void posted:

I likely have this disease (coworker from New Rochelle tested positive in NYC, open plan office).

The city will not test me because I have "not recently been to Italy or China".

I have all symptoms. It feels like flu with extra painful breathing. I will never be tested. The local hospital told me to stay put and come to the ER if it gets worse.

We'll never know how many Americans had this.

gently caress this third world country

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

we're really just going to let this burn through the country with our fingers crossed hoping that summer kills it or w/e

amazing

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Covid 19 tests are the new tide pods. I'm gonna make a tictoc where I eat them on a pizza. It will go "viral"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

you know, i was really really worried about corona virus coming as a tsunami of death over the next week or so, but actually I shouldnt as it turns out that the virus is cured by cuts to a central banks base rates? who knew! not these so-called "scientists" thats for sure

if you think that's impressive wait until you see what a permanent 100% cut to payroll taxes does to the virus

the most important thing to do during a viral pandemic is ensure people are leaving their homes and spending