Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

anyways yall know whats a pretty good movie? contagion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYSyuuLk5g
This was pretty good. Even the bat vector was similar to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Soon to be a Chuck Tingle story.

Aug 2, 2000

The upcoming ultra-quarantine will be a great time to catch up on my Steam backlog if I'm not killed during the food riots or conscripted into a cult paramilitary group.

Aug 2, 2000

Doccykins posted:

The bellyaching British boomer who has been complaining to the media on a daily basis to AIRLIFT BRITS OUT on the diamond princess has just tested positive

The Americans on that ship got flown back two days ago, great job all round team
loving hell, it's like every disease movie trope. "I'm not infected, they're infected, I've got to get out."

Aug 2, 2000

Mr. Sharps posted:

I was reading about how the Black Plague came to marseille in 1720 because a bunch of merchants really wanted the silk on a very obviously plague infested ship and so they pressured the city to let it out of quarantine and over two years nearly half the city died.

anyways I’m sure we leaned our lesson
This is the kind of history I'm interested in. I looked up "plague ship" earlier today on wikipedia and couldn't find an entry for the real life phenomenon but there was an entry for a Clive Custler novel lmao.

Plague Ship is the 5th installment of The Oregon Files by Clive Cussler & Jack Du Brul. It recounts a series of violent viral attacks on cruise ships by extremists who want to make half the world's population sterile. The group, named "The Responsivists", is a thinly disguised cover for "Scientologists".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_Ship_(Cussler_novel)

Aug 2, 2000

SKULL.GIF posted:

THE DOOMSDAY PLAGUE WAS SPREAD (UNINTENTIONALLY) BY A DOOMSDAY CULT (NOT RELATED)
They claim to be a Christian offshoot but they're really worshiping Papa Nurgle.

Aug 2, 2000

So it turns out the number of confirmed cases in the US may be frozen at 15 not because of successful early intervention, but because the current tests are so unreliable barely anyone is getting tested until the CDC finds a new method. Hahaha. gently caress.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus-2020.html

Aug 2, 2000

Ruggan posted:

Super rear end spreaders
It's good for the horny.

Aug 2, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

The US CDC are not testing patients even if they have 2nd hand contact with China, and the symptons fit.

Aug 2, 2000

I was looking through food kits like Augason Farms, Mountain House etc. Sometimes you see them sold at grocery stores or Costco in buckets. They're more expensive than beans and rice but cheaper than MREs. The popular items are starting to sell out like the drat masks already. I don't think we're in for the apocalypse but I do think many workplaces are going to have temporary shutdowns and people are going to panic and raid the grocery stores. Even without food storage I don't think I'd starve but I'm stocking up now for morale and comfort purposes so I have a choice over what I eat if I'm trapped at home.

Aug 2, 2000

Bullfrog posted:

watch townsends, learn how to bake onions. buy rum for grog. There's a lot of simple food that our cultures have forgotten
Everyone should do that anyway. I made the onions, they were good. After making the grog I realized that hot toddies are basically just heated grog in many recipes and I've been drinking that for years. You know what else townsends has a great recipe for......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckELeAo-Lzo

Aug 2, 2000

Looks like the general populace is starting to prepare. I have Amazon Fresh in my area and many non-perishable items are either out of stock or only available at very low quantities. They always operate on Just In Time quantities but I've never seen them low or out of stock on so many items at once. It gets worse......

Aug 2, 2000

Other sub-forums generally accuse us of being a fanatically pro-China tankie forum that shouldn't even exist so I'm genuinely confused anyone thinks we're Sinophobic racists.

Businesses in my Chinatown are collapsing or going into severe debt right now. Chinese Americans and Chinese expats are scared that their own community members are connected to Wuhan by a chain of asymptomatic transmissions. My boss, who is himself an old man from Hubei, looked at me today and whispered "Maybe we should shut down for a few weeks. There's so many Chinese people here. We're going to get sick". The subtext of this is that he's an elderly cancer survivor and might actually die if he gets coronavirus. He's far from the only one with this kind of fear. Hong Kongers are even more suspicious of mainlanders than usual, other mainlanders are freaked out by people from Wuhan, etc. At least in my area this isn't really a problem of white racism, the lost patronage is from Chinese regulars that stop showing up.

Aug 2, 2000

Ardennes posted:

Do “Chinese people love eating weird stuff, they deserved to get it” posts count? Even if you want to assume the method of transmission was through consumption of flesh...it doesn’t mean it general aspect of Chinese culture.
"All Chinese are primitives that snort exotic animals" is the recurring GBS joke that's been ridden into the ground and it's still going on over there. Seems really odd you're not concerned with that at all but you've busted in to a thread that's been obsessed with beans for 100 pages. When was the last time anyone even mentioned bat soup in this thread? Definitely not today, and I would know because I've been refreshing the forums at my abandoned workplace all day. What you're doing comes off as totally in bad faith and I just don't buy for a second that you're genuinely concerned with racism.

Aug 2, 2000

Time for a trip to Costco to stock up.

Aug 2, 2000

Zotix posted:

Where is this at?

Ahahaha
Portland, Oregon. The person who posted it said lines were wrapping around the entire store and going outside. Also people are panic buying water which makes even less sense here than other places.

Aug 2, 2000

Licking doorknobs shrines to own the libs.
https://twitter.com/aliostad/status/1233695235399700481?s=20

Aug 2, 2000

Ardennes posted:

Btw, I think one factor that will slow the spread eventually is eventual self-quarantine that will progressively shut down businesses (who don't have customers). It is just going to be much messier and less effective than an official quarantine and will take much longer.
All my colleagues in tourism and hospitality are already seeing business evaporate. No new bookings, mass cancellations, etc. Everyone is deciding if it's worth staying open to make 1/20th your usual income while exposing your staff and customers to a possible COVID-19 outbreak and getting in the newspaper. Restaurants seem to be getting hit the hardest since they run on razor thin margins and poo poo pay at the best of times. Many of the small businesses don't have enough cash on hand to survive a month or two without customers. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and they have no savings to fall back on :(

Daikloktos posted:

You just shake, jesus. A slight bit of piss remnant on the tip of your dick isn't the end of the world.
You're supposed to jump and wiggle your hips so your dong swings around meatspin style.

Aug 2, 2000

Squizzle posted:

logans runs

Report to Carousel Costco

Aug 2, 2000

The situation with mask and test kit production is an interesting example of China having an advantage over everyone else. They want everyone in affected areas wearing masks in public at all times. Most other countries that can't get enough masks are going in the opposite direction with policy. They're urging the public to stop buying them so that medical professionals have enough. Usually you would expect the richest nations to have better access to supplies and equipment across the board, but in this specific case China is coming out on top because they control so much manufacturing capacity. Most governments are negotiating supply with private companies like 3M or debating whether to subsidize local production. China has been flatly ordering state owned companies to retool and start producing massive amounts of PPE. They're also producing 1.6 million test kits a week.

Aug 2, 2000

Blue Fanta? What the gently caress? This is blowing my mind.

Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1234636951384444928?s=20

Will this blows. At this rate hospitals won't just be at capacity on ventilators and beds further down the line, they're going to be short staffed as well. I can't imagine the stress for the remaining workers.

Aug 2, 2000

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1235691144413155329?s=20
We've only tested 48 people in the whole state. Are you making GBS threads me? Covid is probably running rampant in Portland but we just don't know because we aren't testing. This is pathetic.

Aug 2, 2000

Venom Snake posted:

If you clear your mind and open yourself you can almost feel the great machine capitalism sway, buckle, and crack under the weight of the many crises of it's own making. An empire whose foundation has grown sick and rotten (literally in some cases!). What comes next will be very exciting. And I'm glad I'm here to share it with you all c-spam.

Aug 2, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

Loving that UK policy is to open our arms to the virus and guarantee it a safe haven on our hell island. Boris will be slitting the throats of the elderly in Trafalgar Square as crowds chant songs of worship to the mighty Corona-chan by Friday.
Boris is trying to re-enact the plot to V for Vendetta.

Aug 2, 2000

Trump can't roll back a federally mandated lockdown that he never enacted in the first place. Governors and mayors have been issuing the shutdown orders and they will decide when they're lifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 2, 2000

Buying an instant pot before quarantine is the best decision I've made recently. You throw rice, beans, and fixings in for half an hour and come back to a meal. Most other stuff like pasta is done in 5 minutes or less.