Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Marzzle posted:

what does "travel ban" mean like can you leave your city but they will scan your body temp or are you stuck in whatever city you reside in until they say it's OK to move again? That one lady just flew to paris to eat food while sick so IDK how total the restrictions are

Cant leave. As in men with guns won’t let you. But incubation time is a week or two I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

fart simpson posted:

idk but cremation seems to be the norm in china
It is outside of very rural areas. Slept next to my father in laws coffin in a rural village.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Having your wife and kids in China at the moment makes it less likely to think this racist poo poo is funny. I hope all of you die.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Ruggan posted:

also if your wife and kids are actually in China I hope they do ok!

Thanks. And they really are. And it seems fine now. Just want the racists to die. Not all of you. Just a bit on edge.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Just looking at my pictures from last summer when I was in Wuhan and I hope these two are ok.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Based on the reports coming from the ground/behind the great firewall, the official number is basically meaningless at this point. The official number going down probably means that they're running out of personnel to run the tests more than anything else. (The casualty rates amongst medical workers is apparently very high.)

Here are some of the better videos that have leaked out from behind the great firewall: (I've been plugged into Chinese social media deeply enough that I've watched these videos and many like them emerge and then start to be scrubbed, these are the best versions of these videos that I could find still operating at the moment.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuThUZQLnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AI3R41dGnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX9_Ty0xuX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wQmvvzyG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEFzL66oKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZfzh0zvqY

Fake edit: I know I said I was done with this silly website but this particular topic drew me back in, as I believe that a significant global pandemic is extremely likely at this point in time and even (setting aside the disease itself) the social/economic disruption of this event is going to have an impact on pretty much everyone's life.

I’m late to this but you can gently caress off from here and never ever come back you dumb loving moron. “Yo guys, I don’t speak English but I’m hella plugged in to US Twitter! And wait till you see these random YouTube videos. And this infowars article seems important.” Shut the gently caress up forever you cretin.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

If an organism were to (hypothetically) escape from a level 4 containment facility- imo it would need to be something so absurdly hyper-infectious that it would be capable of punking highly-trained infectious disease experts.

Berween this incident+the Japanese coronavirus chief who got infected+Wuhan's coronavirus expert streaming from his hospital bed- I'm starting to give some credence to the reports that infection rates among Wuhan medical staff are very high.
Ok, I changed my mind. Please keep posting. This poo poo is too funny.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah, the term "bioweapon" is probably a misnomer in this case. It's more likely it was something they were screwing around with that got loose.

Accidental release of an "experimental organism" doesn't really sound much better though.
LOL

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Sure, but they did a lot of this stuff when SARS hit too. Imagine if we had twitter back then when SARS killed almost half of everyone over 60 years of age. My wife was locked up for like two months back then when the scanners at the airport flagged her as having a fever. If we had the same level of social media back then Prester Jane would have had a heart attack after a few days of SARS news.

This is much bigger but a big part of it seems to be how ineptly the local government in Wuhan responded in the beginning. Thus the purges we see now.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

succ posted:

I'm really interested in the economic aspect of this virus. That article post is really interesting because that information is usually difficult to find on Chinese firms and businesses.

I wonder what impact this has on American companies currently.

Log off. You're the stupidest person ever to have lived. Talk to a mental health professional.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
You: panicking and doubting uncle Xi.

Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9NLUyYEpw

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Gonna apply for my visa this week. Gonna go ahead and assume that the the usual long lines in Stockholm are gonna be shorter.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I’m from Wuhan and I say kill ‘em all!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I can report that I was the only one in Stockholm applying for a visa to China this morning. Usually the waiting times are awful. Every cloud has a silver lining!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Can sombody tell me why everyone is posting that BNO News twitter account as if it's anything reliable? Looking at their website it just seems like garbage clickbait bullshit. Like just go to bnonews.com and have a look. Sure, they did win the "Twitter Shorty Awards" in 2009 according to wikipedia but it still seems like something nobody with half a brain should trust.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Post whatever :justpost: this is not a serious thread discussing the repercussions of a world-wide pandemic, ffs. Holy poo poo if you take anything in this thread serious

I take nothing here serious or I wouldn't be flying to China next week. lol

edit: just wondering why that particular twitter account was posted all the time pretty much.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2020

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Wait, how are you flying to China? Didn't they shutdown air traffic?

Picking up wife and kids. Aeroflot are still flying of course.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
This oval office can't even stop being a piece of poo poo when he's dying. In some sick way I can respect that.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Take a moment to imagine what you would think if this was some chinese official.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Remember how we were all laughing at the Chinese response to the virus? If you told me then that the US reaction would be to do nothing and Trump calling it a hoax I would absolutely not have believed you. lol

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Boarding my flight to Guangzhou soon. I’ll see you in posting Valhalla if I don’t make it.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Zotix posted:

What country are you from? It's hard to believe flights are flying into the disaster.
Sweden. Flying via Moscow.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
It loving surreal being in China at the moment. Even here in Dongguan poo poo is locked the gently caress down. Almost nobody on the street. Dudes in borderline hazmat gear measuring your temperature if you want to pass checkpoints all over the place.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Have the poor beleaguered Chinese people risen up against their evil government yet
It’s funny how some people were seriously suggesting poo poo like that when the general reaction in China is more like “gently caress the incompetent local government in Wuhan and thank god the central government stepped in and sorted this out”.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Not surprised Macron is taking this seriously. His wife is in danger.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
If you told me a month ago that the US response to this would be to pretend that nothing is happening and gently caress it up way worse than they did in Wuhan I would never have believed you. Say goodbye to your grandparents.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Flying back to Stockholm and the airport in Guangzhou is very 28 days later compared to normal.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Hey, I'm writing from the month of febraury. I'm a China "expert" who's stuck in a time anomaly. Could you tell me if my prediction that the chinese response to the corona virus lead to the collapse of the CCP turned out to be true? I assume it did and that the US turned out to be the beacon of hope for the world.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I wonder if the US actually bombing Iraq during a pandemic or China sending medical help will be better PR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EF90m9Qgw

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
My wife is chinese and works for a large chinese company doing poo poo with genetic sequencing. A few days ago she was contacted by people at the largest hospital in sweden panicking that they couldn't test enough people. Officially Sweden had "changed the strategy" to only test really sick people. But that was only because hospitals started running out of test. This morning enough equipment to do 1000 tests a day landed in Sweden. My wife probably saved actual lives. China is gonna come out of this looking sooooo loving good.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
On wednesday she will have a meeting with "important" people to bring safety equipment (masks, hazmat suits, gloves and similar stuff) to Sweden. Neoliberal politics in Sweden hosed up (we don't need stockpiles, the market will save us) and now China is coming to the rescue. If it wasn't for all the dead people this would be funny as hell.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Actual quote by Boris Johnson posted:

The real hero of Jaws is the mayor, a wonderful politician. A gigantic fish is eating all your constituents and he decides to keep the beach open. OK, in that instance, he was wrong but in principle we need more politicians like the mayor.

It's a real quote.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1239671120586031104?s=21

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNiJkZP9mo&t=95s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Had time to think that nobody except for his immediate family would give a poo poo about carrot top having the virus before I read the text.