Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the people talking about the fainting thing is weird because I mean if you got a bad fever and are probably really dehydrated and insist on still be out and about, aren’t you pretty likely to faint? people seem to be thinking the people falling down in the streets are straight up dying there on the spot.

it turns out there isn’t actually a virus that acts like a flu and then suddenly explodes your lungs, killing you before you hit the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

doctors: you have a 97% chance to live

me: oh, that sucks I guess

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Honestly the last posts did make me think about it. How the gently caress WOULD it be treated here. I don't think the US government would do anything honestly.

rich people would gently caress off to their vacation homes, and who cares about anyone not rich

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yo wait

Jiangxi the PROVINCE?!

An entire province is going on lockdown?!

I read it as the entire province is going on “no public events” and then also is telling cities and towns to go into full lockdown if the virus shows up

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

kopasetic posted:

seriously though, the fact that 30% of hospitalized patients develop ARDS, which almost invariably requires mechanical ventilation to survive, is pretty alarming just from a logistics standpoint. there aren’t going to be enough ventilators for everyone if this gets rolling.

I would consider the fact that general respiratory health is abominable in China so that probably factors into the high %

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Do we know what the source of the disease was or who was the first person infected?

Do we know how people with the disease are being treated, and if any of them are recovering?

the first infected was Wang Zhao and nobody’s recovering it’s a 100% lethality rate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

acid garfield posted:

Considering that the virus has an incubation period of somewhere between 1-14 days (as yet unclear), and was spreading from a major city and travel hub beginning already in December, but that it wasn't fully identified until later on in mid-January, and full-on panic and awareness of the disease has only really started in the last few days as it mutated and became more contagious - wouldn't it be plausible that an earlier and less contagious mutation of the virus could have emerged and spread around the world over the past few weeks without being recognized, having been misdiagnosed as a winter flu or common pneumonia? And it's only now being recognized everywhere because people are suddenly testing for it?

I mean sure but its also flu season and people die from it every single year so the evidence isn’t exactly rock solid

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cargo cult posted:

the S&P 500 is gonna dip like .5% tomorrow and people will start posting about how the worker's revolt is 100% nigh

goon stock market takes are always great for a laugh

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

61,000 people died from the flu this year in the US, i'm guessing this won't be as bad as that (in the US)

saving this post

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i still think china might be able to contain this tbh. theyre definitely going all out to do it.

I will be astounded if a carrier isn’t already in NYC

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

lol this things worldwide already

it was worldwide days ago

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

i guess they could jam it through a bit faster if they really decide to ignore safety trials

lol it’s China

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vishass posted:

just skimming his twitter, Jim Banks is a dipshit CHUD with a sometimes stopped clock beef w China.

oh no way the guy linking the Washington times is a massive piece of poo poo??

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

100 of the 106 confirmed deaths so far are all in Hubei Province.

We're going to see a wave of deaths soon I think, once the illness progresses in the other provinces.

I think it’s also worth considering what % of the population in that area is elderly, smokes, and is exposed to bad air conditions regularly

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

spoilers it’s the spouse of the Chicago person who we already knew was infected

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

actually if you read the 4chan thread it explains the virus is a Chinese bioweapon that acts like a normal flu then BAM your lungs instantly explode and you’re dead before you hit the ground

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah never mind the loving people in Hazmat suits and poo poo.

I guess it’s normal for people to be walking around people that collapsed in China in hazmat suits.

it’s normal for medical professionals to be wearing hazmat suits during a contagious outbreak yes

it’s ok to admit you’re fear mongering with your random fwd fwd fwd twitter vids

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

vyelkin posted:

i personally cannot accept that anything random ever happens in the world, everything is a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top because if i accept that random chance does things like create deadly viruses all the time then i have to accept that i could randomly drop dead at any moment from a brain aneurysm and that's scaaaary

conspiracy theorists are the last believers in an ordered and rational world

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

does the US have legal right to hold people against their will for quarantines?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I had always had the impression that in buddhist countries almost everyone was cremated almost everywhere. Is that wrong?

China isn’t Buddhist

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

This post tests positive for bigotry.

my other favorite was everyone going “They’re loading BODYBAGS into a VAN” like yeah what the gently caress do you think they do with the bodies fly them out in a helicopter?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

I didn’t know they have nurses dedicated to ED

nice JAV title

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Varinn posted:

lmao they didnt even bother deleting their old tweets, very lazy

https://twitter.com/chaddha_lal/status/1218037961150779393?s=21

seems like a good source for info

people with disaster fetishes posting fear-mongering videos itt? impossible

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

priznat posted:

I’m in a pizza restaurant right now and a guy is loudly telling his friend how he has seen videos of people dead in wuhan produce markets and how it’s killing thousands and I’m just curious where he is getting this terrible info, is this some weird conspiracy thing now?

you should’ve asked skull.gif how his pizza was

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jokes on you guys I’ve still got a 3M full face respirator + filters from a breaking bad costume a few Halloween’s ago, enjoy taping pieces of paper to your faces in the coronapocalypse

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I still lol at the photo of the one dude drunkenly passed out that was making the rounds with “CORONAVIRUS LEAVES THE STREETS FILLED WITH BODIES” bullshit

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

Many have resorted to self-quarantine at home, risking the spread of the virus within families and neighborhoods.

ok I’m not a virologist but isn’t self-quarantine a good thing for keeping disease from spreading to the rest of the population??

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is why america will be hosed if we get this pandemic: we think enforcing quarantines is the same as Death Camps apparently

Americans simply cannot conceive of any scenario where their daily routine is disrupted because we’ve been so insulated from the consequences of the world we’ve created

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

where do you even find this poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CODChimera posted:

wait, the gbs thread is worse than this one? how is such a thing even possible

it’s just as much fear-mongering and disaster fetishization but with way more racist bat soup jokes

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

now it’s personal

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

hasn't this pretty much already happened? like, not in london specifically, but we've had multiple people pass through major cities in the eastern hemisphere. there's a bunch of people in tokyo already for example.

tbf Tokyo is very proactive about wearing face masks, flew threw Narita a couple days ago and 100% of the airport employees were wearing them and probably 80% of passengers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

that's a normal Japanese flu season

yeah sorry, that’s what I meant, they’re proactive about the masks already so I’m not surprised it hasn’t spread despite being one of the densest populations in the world

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ARMED GOONS in FACELESS SUITS dragging SUFFERERS from their homes

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wakko posted:

also succ got less flak for literally posting qanon-tier schizophrenia gifs so if you're gonna pile on PJ at least make it funny

they should both stop posting itt

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I got the reference, I’ve seen more people post variations on it on Twitter

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

staberind posted:

I flew a couple of times in the past few months, now I'm getting somewhat paranoid, hi r0.

if it helps you’d almost certainly feel just as bad in the universe where coronavirus wasn’t released from a secret lab, that’s just what happens when you fly during flu season

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my cousins a truck driver in Wuhan and he says that all the trucks have broken down and there’s no replacement parts because all the truck factory workers are sick and all the truck mechanics are also sick, and there’s fires everywhere but guess what? no fire trucks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s gonna be awesome watching Americans’ reactions to not having every conceivable foodstuff and consumer product available 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

China currently has 3/4 of a Billion people under some sort of lockdown, and their entire economy has been stopped for nearly a month. what exactly do you do expect things to look like under such a scenario?

It takes a whole hell of a lot of work to keep the pipes flowing, and that work can't be done by anyone right now because the coronavirus can be spread through feces.

idk why on earth anyone’s replying to you seriously but you vastly overestimate how much of our social infrastructure is used for necessities and utilities and how much is used for bullshit consumerism