Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rauros posted:

Phd in wildlife disease ecology. Killing and removing bats in Africa increased prevalence of a deadly virus (Marburg virus, I think) in the remaining bats. Best to leave bats alone and educate people to cover their food and to how to safely remove bats in their homes. There's increasing evidence that intact biodiversity keeps viruses in wildlife reservoirs more in check.

What do you do for work? Legitimately curious because that sounds fairly cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rauros posted:

Post-doc’ing in a wildlife disease surveillance department at a university currently. The emerging infectious disease club is modeling this coronavirus for fun, lol.

Sounds pretty cool, thanks!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Hi yes people seem to brush this by. This is like mass pandemic/mass grave poo poo in particular with the whole "You need to burn their body immediately" deal.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I have developed a scratchy feeling in my throat and a cough. Will keep you all updated as I die.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Turns out that baby born in China might have actually been born with the virus which is insane.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Am I wrong in thinking there is going to be some sort of political fallout if this explodes in other countries after weeks of the Chinese Goverment telling everyone not to worry about this/fiddling with the data?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pizza Segregationist posted:

probably! I doubt any data being hosed with is affecting the way other countries are responding. and I don’t know why you think they are telling everyone not to worry I mean do you think they need to be issuing press releases saying “WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE” or something?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

China shut down like their entire economy over this, most major cities, global standing be damned -- what more do you want from them? Honestly, what?

Arming the public with slightly different information would have absolutely miniscule effect compared to that, so who gives a poo poo?

And they even threw number under the bus, which is all that any of us want. It'd be nice if someone developed a cure next to save as many people as possible but I'm pretty happy with the state response so far given the above.

Full transparency in an issue that appears to be becoming an international health crisis?

Im sorry that number went down (I am not, actually) but we have had several health agencies go "Yeah Im not really confident in the numbers they are giving us" from the get go, and while I am not knowledgeable enough in the epidemiology field to know what I would need to be happy, I am confident that those agencies know what they need to see.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Im so confused.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

So how does this work for patients who might have been diagnosed as not having it before they changed the criteria? Do they get called back? Can the manpower and supplies there handle another round of testing them?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao whoops

Blasting the virus around the country at 200mph is one way to break quarantine.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Eox posted:

didn't PJ make a big show of jumping ship to the offsite? did they get sick of her or have they too fallen to the gigaplague

Someone mentioned that they dont tolerate that kinda posting over there but Im not sure if they were guessing or knew.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I mean if thats a direct quote in the first post thats hilariously bad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

hey guys i havent paid attention to the news on this for several days, but is the fact that they named the virus "SARS 2" bad?

We are actually on SARS 5 now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Lol they expelled some journalists from the country because their publication wrote an opinion peace about how lovely they have been.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Haven't been following the news on this too much so far. Is this going to be the thing that finally kills us all?

No, but the worst case scenario thats been floating around is still deaths in the millions which isnt great.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Are you even a little bit suprised?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Okay what the gently caress.

A: "Evolution" is not an object or entity that exists. The theory of evolution just describes the process that results from a combination of random mutation and natural (or unnatural) selection that leads self-reproducing organisms/systems to produce offspring different from their ancestors.

B: unless you believe in some metaphysical God of Molecules And Stuff, evolution does not think or plan or form specific goals and does not intelligently seek to produce any specific traits.

C: there is no "optimal" except according to imaginary rule sets that also don't exist in reality, but due to aforementioned evolutionary process virii/organisms are self-optimizing in that the strains/species that reproduce faster continue mutating/evolving at an accelerated rate vs the slower ones. But again it's still just random chance.

Also that one of the huge points in favor of evolution instead of divine creation is a lot of poo poo is sub optimal, the recurrant laryngeal nerve being one of the more well known ones.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

Welp, it was good posting with all of you.

I've had a cough for three weeks now and it has turned into a swollen throat and diarrhea.

In Vancouver and in regular contact with foreign students from China.

Hell same, have had a cough for three weeks, but its been really light and barely productive. No other real symptons.

But im in my mid twenties and am pretty physically active because of my work, dont smoke, and the air quality where I am at is pretty drat good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so are we assuming the wuhan numbers are like 1/4th of reality? or is literally locking the entire population into their homes working.

The numbers are almost certainly higher then what is being released, and even if we didnt know this because of the work a lot of epidemiologists have done we would know something is off with just how secretive and odd China has been with all the public reporting.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

What percentage of jobs in the US are even possible to work from home? Like you need workers on site for the service sector, healthcare, and industrial work.

A lot of things requiring doc prep or computer touching can just be done from home.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

twoday posted:

no way to prove I had it, so my blood remains worthless

Theoretically would'nt you have the antibodies for it?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mozi posted:

godspeed

btw the dog that was infected before was actually infected with the virus, it wasn't just picked up on its nose or something

Lol if its unlike SARS and then can transfer it back its going to be amazingly bad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I thought part of the reason for the spanish flu mutating into the variant much more deadly for young people, and that variant becoming the dominant form of the virus, was due to the high number of soldiers in their late teens and early 20s who were held in close quarters and in field hospitals, which allowed the virus to spread basically uncontrolled among them leading to an absence of the usual selective pressure on infectious pathogens that tends to make them favour milder symptoms that don't kill off their hosts quickly so they can spread more effectively?

You mean like overcrowded housing due to rent prices,open plan offices and like a million other peak capatilism things?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

the popes toes posted:

So way down the list of the "If you're sick" guidance (at least in PA), is "you should avoid your pets" but they don't say why. Why?

Will you give it to your pet?
Will your pet make you sicker?
Are we afraid of sicko super spreader cats and dogs terrorizing our healthy suburbs?

Why?

Dogs have been shown to get it. Though they are unlikely/unable to spread it its still unwise to test this out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sharkie posted:

are you talking about that one case? cause i thought it was pretty inconclusive whether the dog had it or whether the virus was just hanging out on the dog without infecting it. i hope dogs can't get it!

There was a follow up study to it and they confirmed that the dog was indeed infected with it but it was unlikely to be able to transmit it back to humans. Apparently the same thing happend with SARS.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Have we goon projected a corona virus death cult yet?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

dibs on cult leader!

Proposal: Goons create a death cult around spreading the Corona virus and bringing about the end times.

Reality: Goons inadvertently create vaccine, also cause worldwide bean shortage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Finally going to go in to get this persistent, slightly mucusy cough checked out that I have had for like 5+ weeks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

snoo posted:

how drive thru testing supposed to work if i don't have a car

If you have access to a horse they are technically street legal in many places and will be baller as gently caress to boot

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Im at a grungy punk bar duing karokee in a smallish mountain city. Bring on the roni.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Lmao that even after all that happened this week a bunch of goons went out to crowded bars tonight.

There was like 10 people there. Which was great because everybody did horrible karoke and we sang a nickelback song.

Edit: Also I just hit my mid twenties so Im not super worried.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

What do people use to sanctify their altar to Nurgle?

Asking for a friend.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Feeling kinda bad about it but loling at people in other threads falling over themselves posting the news about various countries finding an antibody for this like its going to have a real impact before the poo poo hits the fan.

Also gonna call my dad tomorrow and see how hes taken the hoboken stuff. Weeee

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

if covid kills me before we get our beans, bidets, and beyond gang tag i'm gonna be so mad

Beans, Bidets, Battlestar Galactica

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Crazypoops posted:

yes, my coworkers that are in their 20-30s are being pretty cavalier

I for one welcome the collapse and the literal decimation of the olds.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zeno-25 posted:

Anyone who told this poster to gently caress off can gently caress off themselves.

Look at how these American generations responded to the other slow existential crisis of climate change, and it's the same as how they're responding to this.

They just pretend it isn't happening and get self-righteously offended or accuse you of overreacting if you suggest they need to change their behavior.

Goons after every election :gently caress the olds, we need to wait for them to die off so we can effect real change in this country

Goons during the plague: gently caress you for saying that the olds should die.

This is fantastic to watch.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Uh. gently caress.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

this is two categories groups of goons: the relatively mentally stable ones not advocating mass extermination vs. the true broke brain "lust for death" types

Im actually willing to bet its much of the same people who once it becomes a rapidly approaching reality are unable to maintain their opinion.

But im also not willing to create a goonoldsopinion.xls to check.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

dumb people deserve to not die terribly too. it is an disgustingly individualistic, sociopathic capitalist attitude to think because people are dumb they deserve to die - and not only that, to celebrate their death in the millions.

Eh, dumb people can be educated but if you make it a point of pride to be refused to be educated and furthermore to vote and try to enact uninformed policies which negatively effect millions of your countrymen then Im kinda okay with you dying of plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if those people are in significant positions of power and their malice resulted in thousands or millions of dead, then sure. if theyre just individual assholes, even they deserve a society that protects them from their own idiocy.

You cannot have a functioning society if an incredibly large portion of said society ignores advice required for public health and saftey. Ignorate assholes vote, and their votes help put people into power who are themselves ignorant.