Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
have you not noticed how boring rocks generally are :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Most of the places I want to go to are based on how weird their rocks look.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
>:/

are you being facetious?!?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

crispix posted:

>:/

are you being facetious?!?

Of course not, I was the guy who was defending the Giant's Causeway in the first place.

I'm going to go to Iceland in 2026 and see the eclipse and as many weird rocks as possible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Question IRL posted:

Probably because they naturally formed into a tunnel which made the area underneath shaded.

https://visitbelfast.com/article/game-of-thrones-filming-locations-belfast-northern-ireland/

Oh nice!

But are they nicer than rocks???

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Oh nice!

But are they nicer than rocks???

Seeing as they cut down the dying trees along it the stones have more staying power.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

khwarezm posted:

Of course not, I was the guy who was defending the Giant's Causeway in the first place.

I'm going to go to Iceland in 2026 and see the eclipse and as many weird rocks as possible.

oh that's cool :)

i was just making sure you weren't taking the piss out of our rocks

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker posted:

Seeing as they cut down the dying trees along it the stones have more staying power.

i wonder what they did with the wood because it'd be sure to fetch a lot of money from gullible people who enjoyed watching that television programme

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i wonder what they did with the wood because it'd be sure to fetch a lot of money from gullible people who enjoyed watching that television programme

I think that is on private property/estate so who knows. :iiam:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

crispix posted:

oh that's cool :)

i was just making sure you weren't taking the piss out of our rocks

They're our loving rocks!

And we'll loving eat them too if you try to starve us again.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Minerals like TK and Deasy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Those are minnerdls

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

Those are minnerdls

Never seen it written down like this before but this is obviously correct

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Fair.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The worst minerals are cadet in the tiny bottles - every flavour from cola to orange tasted like despair.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Never seen it written down like this before but this is obviously correct

I'd suggest "minnhrdls" but I feel like we're getting séimhiú and other forgotten Irish language alphabet territory there. Verging on Welsh level of regression.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 30, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Mrenda posted:

I'd suggest "minnhrdls" but I feel like we're getting séimhiú and other forgotten Irish language alphabet territory there. Verging on Welsh level of regression.

See also pronunciations of Darren, Karen, Sharon and oranges.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mrenda posted:

I agree, there's definitely a 'h' sound in there, but it's very slight, like maybe half of a h.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
don't know what everyone's talking about now :)

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Country spring was another classic mineral, hard to beat those 3L bottles

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Is ea.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TheDoublePivot posted:

Country spring was another classic mineral, hard to beat those 3L bottles

Someone I know tried to chug one of those like an eejit on the bus to the Gaeltacht and got drenched, a+ stuff

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

You have to admire the ambition

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If you go to small corner shops in different counties, you will find each of them have their own unique bottles of minerals.

I'm talking stuff like Finches or Big Brother from Cork, or Smak from Wexford or CC in the wilds of Wicklow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

If you go to small corner shops in different counties, you will find each of them have their own unique bottles of minerals.

I'm talking stuff like Finches or Big Brother from Cork, or Smak from Wexford or CC in the wilds of Wicklow.

Football Special

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

don't know what everyone's talking about now :)

Parts of Ireland called lemonade/soda 'minerals', as the first fizzy drinks was mineral water.
My mum's area of Sligo calls it minerals, but only boomers now use it I think as never heard it in ages.

Me and my brothers used to call it 'millarn', thinking it was from the company 'Maine' that used to sell it door to door.

Sounds weird now buying lemonade from a back of a truck like an ice cream.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I vaguely remember my brother being really into Shannon Minerals cream soda as a kid.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

khwarezm posted:

Come to Scotland in 2025 and come see Fingal's Cave on Staffa, it's like Giant's Causeway's end point, giants lived in the cave.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

giants lived in the cave.

Hence the name of the place.
They Irish/Scot mythology is two giants having a barney.
Finn McCool, the Irish giant, created the Giant's Causeway to walk over and fight Benandonner over in Scotland.
He saw Benandonner was bigger, so lost his bottle, and hosed back home.

Still unclear to this day which was the Celtic supporter, and which was the Rangers.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I thought the story was one giant tore up a chunk of the ground and hosed it at the other and the resulting hole in the ground ended up being Lough Neagh (and the chunk of land ended up forming the Isle of Mann which really begs the question of where the gently caress Fionn was aiming)

It also begs the question of why Fionn was a giant for a little while instead of a normal sized man as usual

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Booze.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I thought the story was Fionn dressing up as a baby to make yer man think that the Irish giants were even gianter, so he hosed off back home and tore up the bridge

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shoehead posted:

I thought the story was one giant tore up a chunk of the ground and hosed it at the other and the resulting hole in the ground ended up being Lough Neagh (and the chunk of land ended up forming the Isle of Mann which really begs the question of where the gently caress Fionn was aiming)

It also begs the question of why Fionn was a giant for a little while instead of a normal sized man as usual

Fionn is one of those mythological characters that became an increasingly more ill defined culture hero that would just show up anywhere in all kinds of stories and after a while would sometimes became a literal giant in myths like that instead of a great leader of men. St Patrick is actually kind of similar, its hilarious how many Irish myths just have Patrick show up at the end out of nowhere like a cameo of a popular character in a spin off sitcom, you half expect the audience to start hooting and hollering when he converts an ancient Oisin to Christianity or the Children of Lir in some versions of their respective myths.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Flann O'Brien's Fionn description is great:

quote:

Finn MacCool was a legendary hero of old Ireland. Though not mentally robust, he was a man of superb physique and development. Each of his thighs was as thick as a horse’s belly, narrowing to a calf as thick as the belly of a foal. Three fifties of fosterlings could engage with handball against the wideness of his backside, which was wide enough to halt the march of warriors through a mountain pass.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Finn MacCool so thick his dumper could block up a mountain pass.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

khwarezm posted:

Fionn is one of those mythological characters that became an increasingly more ill defined culture hero that would just show up anywhere in all kinds of stories and after a while would sometimes became a literal giant in myths like that instead of a great leader of men. St Patrick is actually kind of similar, its hilarious how many Irish myths just have Patrick show up at the end out of nowhere like a cameo of a popular character in a spin off sitcom, you half expect the audience to start hooting and hollering when he converts an ancient Oisin to Christianity or the Children of Lir in some versions of their respective myths.

St. Patricking into the story like it's an episode of Sinnfeild.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I like how St Patrick turned those guys in Tipperary into werewolves for being rude to him. It’s much more ‘wizard nonsense’ than ‘saint nonsense’.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The random Christian crap at the end of Children of Lir is obviously a later addition.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GhastlyBizness posted:

I like how St Patrick turned those guys in Tipperary into werewolves for being rude to him. It’s much more ‘wizard nonsense’ than ‘saint nonsense’.

The two are not a million miles apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GhastlyBizness posted:

Did you miss the bit in the bible where some prophet gets slagged by kids so he summons bears to murder like a hundred of them?