Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

A while back I watched Toast of London, written by Arthur Mathews and Matt Berry. It's full of very silly humour up there with the best bits of Father Ted or The IT Crowd, which makes me think Mathews and Berry were the source of a lot of the funnier material on those shows respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

So the background is that every so often in Ireland wr have what's called a Citizen's Assembly. When that happens a bunch if randomly chosen people are lead by someone (like a retired Judge) to look at a social/political issue.
They have experts/academics and others brought in to have the subject explained.
At the end, the Assembly makes recommendations to the Government about what to do.

In this case the Assembly looked at Article 41.2 which says

Given this section of the Constitution was explicitly written by a Catholic leaning Government in the 30's, it is a section of the Constitution that hasn't aged well.

It was proposed to change this ammendment.

The Assembly also wanted to ammend other sections, the purpose being to expand the definition of family to not being one limited by marriage and to look after carers. (IE people who look after others) and to provide them with support.*

This is where it gets confusing. The Citizens Assembly made recommendations as to the wording used. Then the Government went with different wording than the Citizens Assembly used and many pointed out that it was super confusing or unclear what the new wording would do.

If one was a cynic, they could easily say that the Government had changed the wording to one that would justify the Government providing less and less support to people who care for others.

The Taoiseach going on TV one week ahead of the Referendum and saying that he believed that the State didn't have a responsibility to look after people and that is the families job, really didn't do them any favours.

*= They made a third recommendation about Gender, but the Government straight up ignored that recommendation. I can't really figure out what they wanted to do with that ammendment.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/submissions/2022-submission-gender-equality.pdf

As a dirty Northerner who didn't pay a massive amount of attention to the referenda this is the most straightforward explanation I've read.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never seen Giant's Causeway and the damned thing is twenty or so miles from me... going from pictures & vids the similar formation in Iceland looks better. :shrug:

It's not really worth seeing unless you're a tourist and it's on your checklist. The clifftop walks around it though are fantastic on a good day.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Is this a joke, the Giant's causeway is loving awesome.

It's a bunch of worn-down rocks gatekeepered by a tourist trap centre and the best bit is closed off to the public because of the valid concern of coastal erosion. The clifftop walks are amazing, far better than stomping around a bunch of hexagonal stones. The north and east Antrim coast is one of my favourite places.

If I was recommending the Causeway to anyone I'd tell them to park up in Portballintrae and walk the beach and coastal path from there and give the Causeway a miss.

And also avoid Jeffrey Donaldson if they see him. Seems he might be a bit of a wrong'un.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think that is on private property/estate so who knows. :iiam:

The Hedges are on a public road but it's a tiny B-road that wasn't really designed for heavy traffic. The constant stream of Game of Thrones coach tours over the years has seriously damaged a lot of the trees as their root structures form the foundation of the road.

Maine still do door-to-door deliveries of fizzy drinks. Fizzy drink fact: Americans call generic carbonated water a club soda, but it's a lapsed trademark of the Club brand of drinks like Orange, Lemon and Rock Shandy that was invented by C&C in Dublin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Rock Shandy used to be a staple for me before the UK sugar tax ruined it here in the north. Wondering if it's still the full sugar recipe in Ireland. I can't imagine them setting up separate production lines for north/south so I'm guessing they enshittened it for everyone.