Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Does this happen in your area?
Cork city here, the placards that go up for each politician.
Every day the last days ones are taken down and replaced by the next one.
Been happening now the last week, the FF, the FG, FF, Solidarity, FF, Labour, FG, all on the same few lamp posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The words 'catch yeself on' are right wing kryptonite.
Double effective with an insult afterwards.
Triple if in a culshie accent.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You're right, immigrant taxi drivers get a lot of abuse, only learned out here recently there are parts of Cork they won't even drive into due to the runners and/or attacks they will get.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Back in the 70s/80s green passports meant more likely to be stopped and searched at the border, or at checkpoints.
My whole family decided to get British passports then just to stop being hassled, especially one uncle who flew a lot to the UK.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Met an auld dear on the way back from the polling station. She told me we have to vote sinn fein and transfer left. She read it on facebook.

This? Saw this on Rubberbandits FB page.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm in North Cork and I have an irrational hatred of Pa O'Driscoll. Every time I drive past his poster I give him the finger and I always punch the sign with his face on it when in Mallow. I don't even know his policies only that he's in Fine Gael. Perhaps if he didn't have such an awful portrait then the sight of him wouldn't make my blood boil.

I keep seeing Solidarity's Mick Barry's posters about.
And from a distance, he looks like that gobshite Barry McElduff.
So 3-4 times on the walk to work I get reminded of the tit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Skull Servant posted:

I can't believe that our politics has been influence by the Simpsons, of all things.

Rather it than Rick & Morty.

But would love Ren & Stimpy to influence it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
So whoever promises SF the most wins then.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Wait, Sinn Fein will be in on negotiating with Boris about Brexit trade deals?

lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
All that talk about having no navy when we double our ships with the ghost ship in a matter of days!
Only a matter of time of outmatching the US navy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

There's no way the Government would give any contracts to Huawei, DO'B doesn't have any stake in them. :v:

In Cork here they were updating my exchange here, and all the telegraph poles.
All the tech was Huawei

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

There's a reported case at the Apple center in Cork.

poo poo. Know a lot of people from there, will see if I can find out more.

For the last decade our company has been going 'nonononono cant work from home, you have to come into the lovely aircon and fart marinated chairs'.
Email yesterday 'We are testing out a system to work from home'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The Apple one in cork was confirmed yesterday, forgot to post about it here.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/apple-staff-now-told-everyone-17903885

And holy poo poo all the schools are off now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Went shopping this morning. Not a lot of empty shelves but the place was packed. We got the optional work from home for the entire office yesterday after the announcement. Things are quiet otherwise.

Overhearing people in the supermarket a lot of people still don't seem to be taking this seriously though.

Was in Boots earlier, the only shelf half empty was the hand washes. I wouldn't even call them sanitizers as it looks like none were anti-bacterial, just scented ones.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Sorry to hear Marenghi.
Brother lost his first kid like this last year, and one our 'family secrets' was that I am not the oldest child of our family.
I should have had an older brother, about 2 years old than me. But he was lost in the same way.
I sometimes wonder what that would be like.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pookah posted:

Stupid seems to be running amok throughout my family - my 76 year old father is is a giant sulk because no-one is keen on going to the multiple specific shops he prefers to get the oh so special bread and clementines he wants. He's actually threatening to go himself if no one else is willing to go.

I have repeatedly offered to get the equivalents in the supermarket as part of one large household shop, as recommended by the HSE but that's not good enough. It's just a loving loaf of bland sourdough but it's HIS BREAD
He's behaving as though the whole pandemic thing is something I made up to inconvenience him.

My mother was like this at the start.
Shes in her 70s and all her life has been that stereotype irish mother shopper where she would go around 30 shops for 5 hours while not buying anything, only to return to the first shop to get the first item she looked at.
She lives with my brother and he's been telling me she was wrecking his head with 'Sure the virus wont be in Argos or Aldi. Ill wear my wool gloves. Ill be only 5 minutes.' 5 minutes mum time is 2 hour real time usually.
Then the stories started about how you will die alone and buried with no fanfare, she has wised upto not going out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Bit weird that they opened two that are within walking distance of each other.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but they've ignored Swords and the greater Blanchardstown areas entirely. Swords is the 7th biggest urban area on the island by itself. Just weird that they're not aiming for maximum coverage.

I heard some Subways are opening later than others because they can't get enough supplies and staff to them.
So maybe they can deliver the lovely burgers and salt easier to these ones than the rest.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I grew up with The Den, and this segment was brilliant.
I miss their random chaos and humor. Look, they now have TVs in Donegal!

And gently caress Ted. And Podge too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Had to post an urgent letter, and nearest post box is in local shopping centre.
And holy poo poo there are tons of people out.
Barbers was full, don't think I saw anyone under 40 wearing a mask.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Oh THAT'S why everyone was making jokes about Keogh's and weed!

It gets funnier, check out their website: https://www.keoghs.ie/

quote:

Following media coverage relating to the Keogh’s family business and the reporting of the unlicensed cultivation of cannabis by a family member, Keogh’s Farm would like to confirm that this has occurred and communicate the full details of the situation.

Tony Keogh 64 is a retired farmer from north County Dublin and uncle to Tom Keogh founder of Keoghs Crisps Limited.
Unbeknownst to the Keogh business, Tony who officially retired from the family farm business in 2019, had been researching medical cannabis production around the world following the move by the Irish government to legalise medical cannabis last year.

Tony did not reveal his intentions to anybody, nor did he seek legal advice at any stage. Tony had been cultivating the plants in a small area of an unused glasshouse within full view of the public road and as such a member of the public reported the activities to the Garda Siochana.

And Keogh's > Tayto, fight me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I remember them stopping our bus to Dublin and getting us to walk over a disinfectant mat during the mad cow disease thing.

There is only one way onto the bus, the driver has definitely the power to tell you to gently caress off if he/she doesn't want you on it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Fair enough, was thinking more of the Goldliner/Bus Eireann single decker long distance ones. Not the city ones with multiple doors.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dutch Gold. When you can't afford Buckfast.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Is it the fault of that one guy?

Nah doubt it, am from that area, on the edge of it really, we are not bred for common sense in those parts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
In a perfect world, yes.
But they will keep poo poo open to sell all the cheap plastic tat currently in shops for Halloween, let the kiddies go door to door to spread it more, then announce level 5.
Can't see them cancel Halloween, for the THINK OF THE CHILDREN! reaction

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I think you'll find Cork disproves the sports spread theory.
We are shite at the football, hurling, AND soccer.

If only corruption was a sport....

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

It was a uhhh slur that starts with K-shower in the horrible village I lived in for a bit in Wexford.

From what I've been hearing from awful soul destroying Radio 1 there was at least one large super spreader event in... Mayo or Galway?? from the party they threw over winning a match.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/galway-village-super-spreader-party-22859870

Aye, Galway.

And similar thing happened to my town, posted it in UK chat.
But it's town rumor, some student came back from Belfast knowing he could be infected, played or trained with the local gaa club, and now a good few dozen have it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
If they were half way smart they would organize a gov funded shopping delivery system.
Like how you saw volunteer groups offering to get shopping when it first hit. For the old folks and house bound.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It's the Fenian's fault that Ian Jr can't enjoy the free holidays he seems to keep getting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1022/1173326-mother-baby-home/

Absolute scum.
Can't be having bad PR for the church now lads, best to lock it away until all those who did this are dead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mrenda posted:

I'm not up to date with this, but isn't this type of thing standard in these cases/investigations? To secure the involvement of everyone they offer guarantees about the information not being released until after everyone is dead or X years after it's completed.

It's pretty standard, meant to protect national security, informants, etc. I am sure its wholly dependent on the situation.
Not for people who put 800 dead babies in a septic tank in the name of Jesus.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

I've honestly left a few shops because there were people in with no masks or it was packed out, nothing I've needed for the past year has been too important to deal with it (or the places doing things I really need have been really good about it), which I'm pretty thankful for. Or maybe I'm just not as pig headed as the people around me??

:fireman:

Nah, thats sensible. I'm the same, I've seen some really dumb loving people get off the bus with their mask, walk the two meters into the shop I was in (that says to wear masks at all times on the door), remove their mask and breathe out in relief as if it was uncomfortable, and just obliviously shop away. I have left shops after seeing poo poo like this. Also why I don't buy anything open to the air now in shops, like bread rolls. No way am I trusting that some shithead hasn't coughed over that with the covid.

Shops should be more strict telling people without a mask to gently caress off.

Shoehead posted:

We got to have the wedding btw, the venue were really good to us and spaced everything out, there was like 3m between each table, and the tables were massive so we all had a heap of room to sit and eat. We threw the rest of the family in a google meeting and they all watched the ceremony on their tellys

Nice one, cousin got married in Belfast a few weeks back, only 20 at it, massive ballroom and bar all to themselves, no live band but had some speakers and spotify or something, and they loved it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

Apologies for the Double Post, was just curious about something. So my dad is heading back in for chemo tomorrow morning (for a small growth, not life threatening), and my parents were wondering if any decision had been made on cancer patients getting jumped up the queue for Covid 19 vaccines. I remember there being talk about severe cancer cases being brought up, I was checking to see if something had been announced.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope the chemo goes well.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html

This has the rough rollout, and your Dad seems to be high on the list for next group, in the 'People aged 16 to 69 who are at very high risk' section.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Any time I pass by a Gamestop I always notice just how much of it is slowly being taken over by funkopops and similar things, to the point where I wonder if it will just become a funkopops store before closing.

My nearest one is 3/4 Funkopop and Star Wars trash items.
One wall has computer games, and thats mostly selling the consoles. Other three walls are just merch.

I remember queuing outside it at the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2. loving good times.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
To be honest I always thought it would be the other side burning out buses by now.
Thought Boris would air drop in a few thousand troops to set up the border check points Jan 1st, and bring back the good old days of having to wait an hour or two at the irish border. Until a 'technical solution' appears.

Its hard to see what they loyalists can do next really after this. Who do they attack really.
Can see Arlene being toppled by the DUP, the more extreme side could see this as a way to energize and try to push her out.

Most probably will be a summer of protest like kustom said, lots more pant making GBS threads by destroying their own areas. And with a lot of smearing of the EU.
A lot of demands but no actual solutions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf I did say "slowly".

Anyway, hope there's some respectful tributes to Big Phil up north tonight

Arlene now has a conundrum.
After months of calling out SInn Fein going to funerals during a pandemic, she has to now go to Big Phils.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Southpaugh posted:

I figured, but further information for lurkers.

Considering how british comedy went harry enfield is a legend.

One of my regrets is heckling him when he was signing books in Belfast one time.
A friend and I kept going 'EH! EH! CALM DOWN!' and hiding.
He gave an evil glance over to us, and we fled before security got us.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Can see Ian Jr taking over, in an attempt to channel back in some of that ole Ulster Says No magic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gaupo Guacho posted:

forgive my ignorance but do the DUP have undeniable links to the UDA?

I am sure you will find links from any of the groups to the other in NI, on both sides.
But the UDA were more of a splinter group that tried its own political party called the Ulster Democratic Party.
Judean People's Front level of confusing, but they folded back in 2000.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Marenghi posted:

I just want to say how loving stupid the rent pressure zones were.

Since they were brought in without fail my letting agency increases my rent every year by the maximum 4%. What sort of freeze is that it's way above any income growth I get.

Stupid but needed.
Before the same letting agencies were doing increases of 50%+ and using their other lettings that were also being increased by 50%+ as justification that it was needed.
It was in Cork here that got the law momentum, one agency printed out a page of 'other similar houses that have this rent price' and turned out they owned all of them.
I know this as this was done to workmates of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rust Martialis posted:

I learned about it a while back when a friend told me one of her co-workers had fled NI for the UK with her teen son. Apparently her estranged husband had stabbed a local member of (some paramilitary group) in a bar fight then sobered up and fled Ireland. She got a brick through her window with a note asking where her ex- was and how she really should try and find out or else her son was going to acquire a nasty bilateral limp.

I gather the surgeons in Belfast got pretty good at repairing shattered kneecaps so they changed techniques to shoot from behind to make it harder to mend...

Kneecapping is for when you have to do it quick.
Knew a 17 year old who decided to start to deal drugs against the local IRA dealers, they heard about it, kidnapped him, and took him to a construction yard and broke both legs with hurley sticks so badly he still has trouble walking.
He fled to Scotland, returned back a lock of years later and the rumor is that he had to ASK the same IRA guys to let him live with his family again.